Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've heard it's coming home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

harperdc posted:

And if they get past Sweden, it’s likely Japan.

This US team needs to get a lot better really quickly.

Glad I’m not the only one that felt the US seem weirdly underwhelming at this tournament. I thought the score line against Vietnam in their opening fixture flattered them a fair bit, and they’ve made hard work of navigating past the fixtures against the Dutch and the Portuguese.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The US is going to get absolutely loving rocked by Sweden, good god

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
:rip:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hope the you ess doubleyou en tee get demolished

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Watching reactions in American media and one of the points is 'How come DeMelo is so dominant in the NWSL and she's getting outrun here? It must be a mental problem' The answer obviously is that the NWSL is not as strong as it used to be, to put it very politely. Sophia Smith is really good but when faced with a good defence she just disappears. You can see it on all the NWSL player faces, other teams too. Huitema seemed really surprised that she had to run as much as she did, to no avail.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The bummer part is the only reason people gave a poo poo about women's soccer here is because they were good, and if they stop being good the whole country is going to stop giving a poo poo about women's soccer again. Breaks the little nine year old girl in me's heart.

Like, the conclusion isn't going to be 'we better invest more in NWSL and get them competitive again' it'll be 'actually women's soccer is a joke after all and we never should have cared'. :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mycatscrimes posted:

The bummer part is the only reason people gave a poo poo about women's soccer here is because they were good, and if they stop being good the whole country is going to stop giving a poo poo about women's soccer again. Breaks the little nine year old girl in me's heart.

Like, the conclusion isn't going to be 'we better invest more in NWSL and get them competitive again' it'll be 'actually women's soccer is a joke after all and we never should have cared'. :(

That's a shame, but it's also really funny and speaks to the plastic heart that beats inside American supporters

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's a shame, but it's also really funny and speaks to the plastic heart that beats inside American supporters

Nah it speaks how loving sexist America is about women's sports, and the losers will be the girls and women who actually give a poo poo, not the general public that you're (rightfully) making fun of here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mycatscrimes posted:

Nah it speaks how loving sexist America is about women's sports, and the losers will be the girls and women who actually give a poo poo, not the general public that you're making fun of here.

The exact same dynamic happens with the men's team tho. But yeah, America is super sexist and poo poo, condolences

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Lol, our men's team.

Eh, sorry for being a downer, I'm not upset over people here getting their dunks in. It's been really great to see this tournament demonstrating a much more competitive field than ever. Like it's bad news for America and maybe for women's soccer here, but it's a great sign for women's soccer worldwide.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 1, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In fairness, it's not exclusive to America. The women's national rugby union team in NZ are super popular, especially after winning the Rugby World Cup on home soil last year. Meanwhile, until shortly before the tournament, they were pretty much completely ignored, and treated as an afterthought, at best. The most galling thing was that everyone was agonising over the All Blacks not winning any world cups since 1987, and how oh dear oh my, when the women were winning 4 of their tournaments in a row.

I'm worried that the Football Ferns' failure to progress is going to be seen as the end of the road for them as far as the general public goes, rather than making the most of this opportunity to make women's football a thing here. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

Eh, sorry for being a downer, I'm not upset over people here getting their dunks in. It's been really great to see this tournament demonstrating a much more competitive field than ever. Like it's bad news for America and maybe for women's soccer here, but it's a great sign for women's soccer worldwide.

Don't get me wrong, I like USWNT as people. Williams + Mewis are great in their podcast, I appreciate everything that Rapinoe does (she was a properly great player until about two years ago) but can't stand the almost jingoistic approach of their fans, especially since football/soccer is considered a feminine sport in the US. It comes out in the media too, like that Sophie Smith ad showing other players in outright fear of her. I'd love to see more money being given to women's football in America but it does seem unlikely.

Also, the US fans need a big reality check.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

edogawa rando posted:

In fairness, it's not exclusive to America. The women's national rugby union team in NZ are super popular, especially after winning the Rugby World Cup on home soil last year. Meanwhile, until shortly before the tournament, they were pretty much completely ignored, and treated as an afterthought, at best. The most galling thing was that everyone was agonising over the All Blacks not winning any world cups since 1987, and how oh dear oh my, when the women were winning 4 of their tournaments in a row.

I'm worried that the Football Ferns' failure to progress is going to be seen as the end of the road for them as far as the general public goes, rather than making the most of this opportunity to make women's football a thing here. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

For sure! It's always a bummer seeing a team get knocked out and knowing they were hoping for more exactly for that reason. I hope the Ferns don't suffer for it, and that having the tournament there will help keep momentum up for women's football in NZ!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like USWNT as people. Williams + Mewis are great in their podcast, I appreciate everything that Rapinoe does (she was a properly great player until about two years ago) but can't stand the almost jingoistic approach of their fans, especially since football/soccer is considered a feminine sport in the US. It comes out in the media too, like that Sophie Smith ad showing other players in outright fear of her. I'd love to see more money being given to women's football in America but it does seem unlikely.

Also, the US fans need a big reality check.

Lol no argument there.

If it makes a difference, as a fan I also think those commercials are stupid and obnoxious, as is Fox's chest-thumping coverage. People getting their dunks in here is well deserved. In retrospect I think my post came off like scolding people for having a laugh, my bad if so! It was just aimless venting, really.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 1, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think it’s fine to be arrogant as long as you can back it up and this US team is miles off it

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I think it's possible that the USWNT rediscover their finishing boots and goes deep into the tournament. I also think it's possible that they lose in the Round of 16. I think it's less likely than either of those things that they're a spent force in international football. I especially find it cute that the English of all people think they're gonna dominate because they managed to score 6 on China when they could barely put away Haiti.

Lets face it, this tournament could exist for 100 years and the English won't have four stars above their crest.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s possible they will win or lose, got it

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Your Squires av doesn't actually make you as clever as he is, y'know.

slorb
May 14, 2002
I think long term the uswnt is still in a good position because they're always going to have a huge talent pool, lots of dedicated fans, and sponsors with a bunch of money and they're not always going to have a Mr Bean level coach like Vlatko.

I think the most likely scenario is a RO16 loss, the coaching staff get fired and they come back in 2027 with more focus on scouting/developing technical midfield players and building a team that can execute actual game plans.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
you're all forgetting the most important point:

it's coming home

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s possible they will win or lose, got it

Many people have said that it's a funny old game.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

SHE FAHKIN JUMPED INTA ME YA TWAT

Can we make this the thread title btw

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

a real chump posted:

Can we make this the thread title btw

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Trip report, I got to see the WWC Trophy today.

She (the FIFA guy there referred to it as "her" :jerkbag:), anyway she informed me that she's staying here for the next 4 years sorry losers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
wish my hair was thick enough to do that Marge Simpson thing

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Hahahahha

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Turn on the shitaly game quick.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

A laser into the corner as an own goal isn't something you see every day

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Shitaly

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Awesome own goal

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Italy are v bad

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Ooose let's go South Africa!

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Hildah Magaia's goal made me go Wow! like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Booo

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

so the Italian who is offside there wasn't part of the play?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

She would have been if she'd made contact, she's behind the keeper so not interfering in play

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LMAO

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Yes!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slorb
May 14, 2002