Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

if oda offscreened Usopp's clearly epic battle with the seraphim i will be pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The strawhats are just practicing their offscreen skills for when they go against Blackbeard

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol get hosed York

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The strawhats are just practicing their offscreen skills for when they go against Blackbeard

This is all leading up to the final Void Arc, Oda’s plan for getting this all wrapped up in the next few years by shooting anyone who asks what happens.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait isn't Enies Lobby built in a massive sea hole?

Maybe Enies Lobby was God Valley...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes I will read this chapter again immmediately :getin:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

oh man :stare:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I have clearly overestimated York lmao

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

gently caress yeah man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=janLNn-YtpM

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The one time I won't mind a flashback of seeing York get dunked on

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

WHERE IS ROBIN????

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

U-DO Burger posted:

I have clearly overestimated York lmao

Her skills are "eats a lot" and "takes huge dumps", this was in retrospect a predetermined end for York's mutinee.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shout out to the Goth Navy Admiral Oda has done it again

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so the sea level of one piece has definitely risen at least once before. given that there's a hole and the sea level rose, that probably means the blast created a MASSIVE underground crater.

so wano built walls around it to protect it from flooding
zou is on zuenisha because it cant be flooded
alabasta is elevated in the middle of the desert
fishman island is already underwater, and has an arc to escape destruction

all of the ancient allies of joyboy were prepared for a historic flood, probably because of the red lines foreshadowed destruction (along with fishman island), likely with the mother frame itself.

in addition, old wano is underwater. im guessing this is oda foreshadowing that the ancient kingdom is on the sea floor. enies lobby was probably the last place the mother frame was used. since additional sea level rise would then fill old craters up with sea water if their peak touched the surface of the sea.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also we are so getting luffy vs kizaru and the strawhats vs VAs, right? its gonna rock

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

so the sea level of one piece has definitely risen at least once before. given that there's a hole and the sea level rose, that probably means the blast created a MASSIVE underground crater.

so wano built walls around it to protect it from flooding
zou is on zuenisha because it cant be flooded
alabasta is elevated in the middle of the desert
fishman island is already underwater, and has an arc to escape destruction

all of the ancient allies of joyboy were prepared for a historic flood, probably because of the red lines foreshadowed destruction (along with fishman island), likely with the mother frame itself.

in addition, old wano is underwater. im guessing this is oda foreshadowing that the ancient kingdom is on the sea floor. enies lobby was probably the last place the mother frame was used. since additional sea level rise would then fill old craters up with sea water if their peak touched the surface of the sea.

Water 7 is near one of the other sea holes (Enies Lobby) and already has to deal with insane tsunamis and tide changes all the time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you think about it, the smashcut to York's defeat follows the pattern already established in this arc. gently caress around with a Yonko crew and you will quickly find out.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Ok, something’s up with Saturn saying to spare Bonney for being “a little girl” just a page after drawing the Ohara parallel by ordering the refugee ship sunk. Deep cover agent?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CommunityEdition posted:

Ok, something’s up with Saturn saying to spare Bonney for being “a little girl” just a page after drawing the Ohara parallel by ordering the refugee ship sunk. Deep cover agent?
Need her alive (remember Akainu also came to get her before the timeskip) but maybe can't broadcast that fact to the security detail and lower officers

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CommunityEdition posted:

the translation is pretty bad in places

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Or she gets special consideration for some reason. Maybe she's related to someone (else) important, like another gorosei.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
What a final splash. Excellent dramatic use of a two page spread to sell the twist, since you'd have to physically turn the page to see the reveal. This has big "now let's see how we got here" vibe for the upcoming chapters.

Oh and yeah, lots of cool lore stuff too I GUESS.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
drat what a chapter. I loving love one piece

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

No Wave posted:

Or she gets special consideration for some reason. Maybe she's related to someone (else) important, like another gorosei.

Or she’s an actual child and even the Five Elders would prefer to spare a kid if they can

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ever Disappointing posted:

Robin's not in the last panel

Robin got kidnapped offscreen again

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Oh that's good OP. I'm betting York hosed up/got tricked somehow and accidently deactivated the Seraphim.

RatHat posted:

Or she’s an actual child and even the Five Elders would prefer to spare a kid if they can

Kinda weird to care about sparing a kid considering the chapter starts with the fallout from nuking an entire nation, and literally the panel before he ordered the execution of all the evacuated employees.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 2, 2023

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I hope it was something as dumb/obvious as tricking her to say for them to stand down in response to someone asking about it

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i'm really curious if this new giant hole will have the same permanent high noon that enies lobby has.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CommunityEdition posted:

imo it's probably related to why Akainu came to pick her up prior to the timeskip, and why Blackbeard thought he'd be able to trade her for a warship

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I feel like there's some significance to Bonney that Saturn isn't prepared to discuss with some random vice admiral.

e: maybe Kuma's programming is setup to break if the World Government harms his daughter?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

until Oda shows otherwise I have to assume Usopp awakened Conquerer's Haki, broke out of his stone status effect, singlehandedly defeated s-snake, deduced York as the traitor, and either went to face her himself or orchestrated the crew to turn their attention to her

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Took me until the Jump cover to realize that Zoro and Sanji have opposite eyes visible. :downs:

Good cover page too.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
considering the Navy put a dead or alive bounty on Robin when she was an 8 year old kid, something is up with Bonney

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Bonney is royalty, right? She's Kuma's daughter, and Kuma is the former king of *checks one piece wiki* Sorbet kingdom. She probably ranks somewhere around the celestial dragons in world government pecking order? They can't just order her to be killed offhand.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i also assume her devil fruit is known to be wildly powerful and they'd rather know where it is than let it turn into a fruit ghost and fly away to an unknown location. though i guess that doesn't answer the question of why let her go and not say, capture her.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
im guessing the use of Imus power is why the red line is the only actual continent in the world

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

notwithyourheart posted:

i'm really curious if this new giant hole will have the same permanent high noon that enies lobby has.
Given the nuclear fusion reference maybe the weapon involved creating a tiny sun overhead?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
the crew knowing that the elders want the Mother Flame feels significant

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That Enies Lobby was ground zero for a past Uranus nuke attack is a ballin' world building plot dump, Oda's setup game is on point :aaaaa:

EDIT: Although how does erasing island matter cause the entire global coastline to rise a whole meter, shouldn't a colossal, permanently draining sea hole cause the water levels to drop? :confused:

White Light fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MorningMoon posted:

the crew knowing that the elders want the Mother Flame feels significant

actually kind of nuts the strawhats are listening to the gorosei.

since i think all four present spoke, i wonder if they can deduct that the 5th one is missing (i assume a couple of characters like bonney and robin know of their existence). saturn doesnt want to be known for some reason...