Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheKingofSprings posted:

The fact that Wizards can at any time slap a $2 million dollar card into a pack is proof that this poo poo needs to be regulated already
I don't really think that there will be another on the level of this one. it's the first, for one thing, and also is from an extremely beloved long-time franchise. what would be comparable to it? the 1 of 1 Matrix of Leadership written in Cybertronian? the 1 of 1 Harry Potter? the 1 of 1 Peter Parker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
the highlander crossover will only have one

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't really think that there will be another on the level of this one. it's the first, for one thing, and also is from an extremely beloved long-time franchise. what would be comparable to it? the 1 of 1 Matrix of Leadership written in Cybertronian? the 1 of 1 Harry Potter? the 1 of 1 Peter Parker?

I don't believe anyone at Hasbro believes the MTG brand to be sacrosanct so yes I would expect exactly this going forward. to even bag on my own interests, I highly doubt something like a 001/001 One Winged Angel will be as "interesting" or "unique" as this but they're going to do it anyway cuz the first time was a hit

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not saying they won't do it, I'm saying what would even be on the level of the one of one ring

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't know if they'd go back to the well of 1/1 but wouldn't be surprised to see more of the super rare kamigawa neon art style things. Or whatever super rare weird colour things were in that set

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah even if it doesn't hit the heights of the one ring, they are going to keep doing this until it stops making money. Luke's Lightsaber or Iron Man Mk 1 Suit are still gonna be hundreds of thousands of dollars and they can seed them in anything, even MtG-setting releases. Normies will just see the advertising and get pumped just like they get pumped 12 times a year for the same Marvel movie

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah that’s a given. They even have the playbook of all the ridiculous sports card poo poo to follow. I don’t know too much about it except the whale baiting in that arena is beyond insane.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Oh yeah that’s a given. They even have the playbook of all the ridiculous sports card poo poo to follow. I don’t know too much about it except the whale baiting in that arena is beyond insane.

Yep, we are due another crash in the hobbies market.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The fact that Wizards can at any time slap a $2 million dollar card into a pack is proof that this poo poo needs to be regulated already

yeah. it's a fun game but this poo poo needs to be razed to the loving ground. at the very least, packs with randomized unknown contents should be illegal to sell to minors

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Jace’s Corpse (001/001)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

kalel posted:

yeah. it's a fun game but this poo poo needs to be razed to the loving ground. at the very least, packs with randomized unknown contents should be illegal to sell to minors

My eldest is getting old enough to get into gaming and figuring out how to walk the line of "card game good, gambling bad" is a loving nightmare.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Local LGS was selling aftermath packs for 3CAD a pop so I picked up 3 hoping to get some coppercoat vanguard because they are sold out. Instead I pulled a playset of snubhorn. Thank you for coming to my anti gambling ted talk.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

My eldest is getting old enough to get into gaming and figuring out how to walk the line of "card game good, gambling bad" is a loving nightmare.

"if you buy something but you don't know exactly what it is you're buying, that's gambling" ezpz

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I could see wotc doing gold plated collectible cards like Pokemon occasionally does, kinda like the art cards.

I actually have a gold plated Shining Charizard I got from a pack and it's supposedly worth anywhere from $900-$2500, but I don't think anyone is actually buying them

kalel posted:

"if you buy something but you don't know exactly what it is you're buying, that's gambling" ezpz

That would make surprise eggs, kinder eggs and bubble/gachapon machines illegal

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Silhouette posted:

Those all contain something of equal value. There isn’t a random kinder egg that has a diamond necklace instead of plastic in it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wait until they rip up a Chaos Orb on live stream into 20 pieces and include each piece as a chase card in Eternal Master 2025.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I dunno, I've opened kinder eggs with really cool toys inside, and ones with flimsy cardboard pieces of poo poo so they're definitely not items of equivalent value :v:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I hope they keep randomized packs to protect the best format, limited. I don’t care about any non limited style packs, the thread council can make whatever changes they want to that

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Captain Invictus posted:

A 1/1 card of Harry Potter's super special magic wand or whatever would probably end up going for a couple million easily.

Silhouette posted:

I'm cool with that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CitizenKeen posted:

Family friends were trying to impart this lesson to their kids by putting a quarter into a slot machine and having it disappear. It hit whatever jackpot there was, complete with big flashing lights and $20 in quarters spilling out and loud sounds.

So, you know, you probably can't do that badly!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I could easily see 7 unique 1of1 horcruxes in the harry potter set, and thats even more opportunities to win the lottery. I think thats how they try to go bigger

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

A 1/1 card of Harry Potter's super special magic wand or whatever would probably end up going for a couple million easily.

I'm cool with that.

A 1/1 Harry Potter card having Harry and Hermione making out with Ron crying in the background.

A 1/1 Harry Potter card having Harry marry Cho with a pissed off Ginny in the background.

Or a 1/1 Harry Potter card showing Jude Law Dumbledore furiously making out with Mads Mikkelsen's Grindelwald sloppy with tongue everywhere.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AI-generated "One of One Masters," where every card printed is one-of-a-kind.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
these are all really good ideas because whoever opens them and sells them benefits and that's all i can think about

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

AI-generated "One of One Masters," where every card printed is one-of-a-kind.

Isn't that Keyforge or whatever?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

even as I was typing it I had to admit that the "one one One Winged Angel" did have a certain marketing ring to it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
New Booster pack fun, cards with serialized stat lines. Somehow even the 1000/1000 version isn't good enough to see play.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
We're just reinventing keyforge here

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

What is the downside of this card? Because it seems completely insane https://scryfall.com/card/one/27/phyrexian-vindicator

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

johnny park posted:

What is the downside of this card? Because it seems completely insane https://scryfall.com/card/one/27/phyrexian-vindicator

Still dies to most removal, WWWW puts you in mono white where it doesn't have great synergies, 4 mana is slow, but that aside it's still good, just not insane.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

WWWW is no small feat to cast and it gets got by all kinds of removal? there are much more powerful things you can do for 4 mana

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

That's true I guess, I just played against it with a Gruul werewolf deck where all my removal is fights/direct damage so I literally just couldn't Do Anything

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There are often cards that just auto-win against certain decks like that, but usually they're not particularly competitive to play against any other deck. That's pretty much what people talk about when they talk about the meta: knowing what kind of decks you're likely to be up against will inform what cards you might put in your deck to specifically win those common matchups.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

johnny park posted:

Vindicator/Obliterator are basically only red and/or green hosers. Black will destroy them outright, white will exile them, blue will bounce, steal, or counter them.

Black would rather have Sheoldred at 4, White would rather have Wandering Emperor or Depopulate or I dunno probably some angel or something.

Basically, "dies to Doom Blade" but worse/more situational.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Framboise posted:

Isn't that Keyforge or whatever?

I *think* the unique element in Keyforge is the deck list but it uses cards designed by humans that don't vary from one to the next. But I'm just vaguely remembering from a friend on this one, so I might be wrong.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
For Vindicator and Obliterator it's also the case that a lot of the time they might as well have Defender, unless it's the swing that actually kills them, any deck that has trouble with it will suddenly be free to swing back at you and by nature those colors, if they can freely swing back it's got a good chance it'll really hurt

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also as a red hoser, it's not always a guaranteed showstopper. By the time you can play a BBBB a monored curving out can be approaching lethal and if they got birds and dragon and spells, the obliterator stops nothing. And with enough ground game, they can still attack into it and either kill you then, or kill you next turn with the one land left or whatever.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

New Booster pack fun, cards with serialized stat lines. Somehow even the 1000/1000 version isn't good enough to see play.

I really hate that term "booster fun." such slimy language for "even mooore gambling"

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Opening packs as a child was the bomb, and I hope kids keep getting to feel that. Watching adults throw all their money at packs instead of buying singles makes me sad though.
In summary, I don't care if they do this again.

I just want them to stop printing major card advantage engines that also buy you more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Can't wait for cards with pieces of MaRo's shirt embedded in them.

DangerDongs posted:

Opening packs as a child was the bomb, and I hope kids keep getting to feel that. Watching adults throw all their money at packs instead of buying singles makes me sad though.

:same: Its not gambling if you're psyched at every rare.