Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Spoilering just in case but I hope if Kirio does tell Alice that Iruma is human and asks him if he is curious how Iruma would taste, Alice responds with "Of COURSE he'd be absolutely delicious! He's Iruma! I already know that without tasting him!

This is the correct answer. Same as it ever was at Demon School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
You and Me

I still hate this guy and wish he would leave the series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gahhhhhhhh this chapter went by way too loving fast!!!!!

Nemo2342 posted:

nah I like there being an actually hosed up antagonistic foil for iruma who genuinely wants to devour him in the literal sense

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

gahhhhhhhh this chapter went by way too loving fast!!!!!

nah I like there being an actually hosed up antagonistic foil for iruma who genuinely wants to devour him in the literal sense

I would like him better if Iruma actually treated him as an antagonist. Instead he just makes me feel gross any time he comes up, and Iruma just goes "oh we'll be friends again I know it!". Dude was toxic from the get-go, please get over him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

You and Me

Kirio is trash but the role he plays along with what we've been getting from other demons like Baal and Narnia are necessary. And to be honest I love to hate that Aizen wannabe and see his plans get thwarted. But with how Returning to Origins is framed, and how terminal Kirio seems to be. I'm interested if Iruma could ever pull someone as twisted as Kirio out of his own darkness. That boy's been broken from birth.

Also, Iruma was like 3 feet away from there when he was about to unleash that magic blast. Kirio almost loving died.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Brought To You By posted:

Kirio is trash but the role he plays along with what we've been getting from other demons like Baal and Narnia are necessary. And to be honest I love to hate that Aizen wannabe and see his plans get thwarted. But with how Returning to Origins is framed, and how terminal Kirio seems to be. I'm interested if Iruma could ever pull someone as twisted as Kirio out of his own darkness. That boy's been broken from birth.

Also, Iruma was like 3 feet away from there when he was about to unleash that magic blast. Kirio almost loving died.

One of the occasional throughlines this series hits is how the power of the demon king is the power to change what a demon wants to do.

And since desire is what gives a demon their power, does that mean the demon king can find new desires for demons to make them stronger or weaker?

Origins Kirio wants to be the big dramatic betrayer, but the thing about betrayal is that you don't need any strength at all to pull it off.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

One of the occasional throughlines this series hits is how the power of the demon king is the power to change what a demon wants to do.

And since desire is what gives a demon their power, does that mean the demon king can find new desires for demons to make them stronger or weaker?

At least for Delkira it's framed more like Charisma because even when he was the DK the wars that were happening throughout the realm didn't automatically stop. But when he did stuff like walk onto a battlefield and tank every hit, that got the demons there to stop and follow him. But in that capacity yes, the demon king has the ability to get others to do things differently including changing what they want to do. I'd imagine other demon kings used power and violence to reign in others, like the demon king that defeated Caim's ancestor and they subsequently adopted a more noble mindset and swore loyalty to him. He quite literally elevated them from just beasts.

quote:

Origins Kirio wants to be the big dramatic betrayer, but the thing about betrayal is that you don't need any strength at all to pull it off.
One absolutely needs power to betray others. Without Baal's backing the school festival couldn't happen as Kirio doesn't have the strength to generate the barrier maze, nor would he have had the means to get Sullivan outside the school. Baal and the Six Fingers have so far given Kirio all the opportunities he's had this story to slide the knife into others.

What I do expect going down the line though, is for Kirio to betray Baal in order to further his own ambitions though. And when it happens Baal is probably going to be proud because Kirio in his own words is the truest demon he's ever met.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter

I am 100% in agreement with misfit scans here.

just loving progress the plot if you're going to do this poo poo MULTIPLE TIMES IN LIKE SIX CHAPTERS. JUST DO IT, DON'T DO THIS ROMCOM STATUS QUO INTERRUPT poo poo REPEATEDLY!!!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What is annoying is that all the bad guys that matter know Iruma is a human. The only people getting blue-balled by these two recurring phone calls are us the readers from progress and Iruma's closest friend(s) and his teacher. People who won't turn on him for any believable reason.

Worst 10 cents I've ever had to pocket.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, Kalego has a semi-antagonistic relationship with Iruma and unbending sense of responsibility that might cause trouble if he found out the kid was human. Not much, but enough to be disruptive and create an opening for the bad guys to exploit.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, Kalego has a semi-antagonistic relationship with Iruma and unbending sense of responsibility that might cause trouble if he found out the kid was human. Not much, but enough to be disruptive and create an opening for the bad guys to exploit.

Kalego's relationship with Iruma might be semi-antagonistic, but that's because he's a stern teacher not that I think he has any real animosity towards Iruma (that doesn't involve his summoning pact at the very least) But if being Balam's close friend is any indication, I think it would have to be in that exact moment of learning Iruma is a human for the surprise to mean anything. Kalego is at the end of the day deeply protective of Bablys and it's students. Iruma is still technically a student and I can see that overriding any other concerns if people like Bachiko can also pretty much instantly accept Iruma's status as human.

But he could also be different because of his family baggage so we shall see. We have two characters that support Iruma fully primed that something is amiss so it is up for Nishi to pull that trigger and not push it off forever.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Yeah, at most I can see Kalego using Iruma being a human as a excuse to torment the rest of the misfits for being lower ranked than him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThingOne posted:

Yeah, at most I can see Kalego using Iruma being a human as a excuse to torment the rest of the misfits for being lower ranked than him.

I can see him doing something dumb like implementing extra security measures to pprotect him from the rest of the students... or to protect the rest of the students from him. He's got considerable power over him and doesn't have a particularly finely-attuned sense of what's best for him and whether/how to pursue it, which is a recipe for significant problems even if he's reasonably accepting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
we are absolutely, 100% having an intense Balam/Kalego showdown over this, not because of kalego being a danger to iruma per se, but because of exactly what the above post says, kalego is not good at handling this sort of thing delicately and he's gonna piss off balam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

we are absolutely, 100% having an intense Balam/Kalego showdown over this, not because of kalego being a danger to iruma per se, but because of exactly what the above post says, kalego is not good at handling this sort of thing delicately and he's gonna piss off balam

Kalego is going to be sleeping on the couch for weeks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I can see him doing something dumb like implementing extra security measures to pprotect him from the rest of the students... or to protect the rest of the students from him. He's got considerable power over him and doesn't have a particularly finely-attuned sense of what's best for him and whether/how to pursue it, which is a recipe for significant problems even if he's reasonably accepting.

Thing to remember is that he still has Opera, Balam, and Sullivan himself that would push back against any decisions he intends to implement. I honestly see Kalego having more of a personal crisis because of his upbringing and the relationship he has with his brother. Being torn between the Narbarus duty to protect, in this case, the school as well as the netherworld.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Today I hand sold a copy of Iruma-kun by recommending it to a fan of Komi Can’t Communicate. The pitch was that they both have large casts of lovable goofballs and ever increasing groups of friends

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
good selling point

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'd also consider that recommendation an upgrade

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Finally, a villain who understands the meaning of the phrase Keikaku Doori
Amu-mom, where the gently caress were you?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 307: Smiling at the Memories
I like the details in the 2nd to last spread in this chapter. Razberry is still clearly pissed he didn't get any spotlight because of Baal. Ameri and Henry both hold their phones the same way with interest. Bachiko is contemplating a lot given she almost didn't get a seat, got one, and now has her apprentice to consider as well as the weight of the crown on her head. I'm glad Iruma has such a good family.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I am getting extremely tired of people saying Iruma is human but getting cut off by something conveniently loud/distracting enough to stop them from being heard, then just not bothering to repeat themselves. It was complained about above but it's becoming so dumb and contrived that it's irritating.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just hope Iruma finally decides to make telling his trusted friends his secret a top priority, because it really is going to gently caress up their relationship if they find out from his archenemy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I just hope Iruma finally decides to make telling his trusted friends his secret a top priority, because it really is going to gently caress up their relationship if they find out from his archenemy.

Well some of them might care. Clara definitely wouldn't even comprehend the revelation. Asmodeous is way too loyal and might think that just makes Iruma more amazing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Still waiting for Iruna to supercharge Ameri at some climax using his blood.

And for it to be revealed that demonic engagement proposals are also done by sharing blood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Still waiting for Iruna to supercharge Ameri at some climax using his blood.

And for it to be revealed that demonic engagement proposals are also done by sharing blood.

Ameri: "Ooooohhh no isn't that a shame.....oh well, guess we're engaged"
Ameri's dad just fuming in the background.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 21, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

Well some of them might care. Clara definitely wouldn't even comprehend the revelation. Asmodeous is way too loyal and might think that just makes Iruma more amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clara somehow knew all along and it never made any difference to her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Clara somehow knew all along and it never made any difference to her.

Her familiar told her at some point and she didn't understand. She still doesn't but it's whatever to her

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Xelkelvos posted:

Alice isn't going to be hurt that Iruma is human; he's going to be hurt that Iruma didn't tell him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Alice isn't going to be hurt that Iruma is human; he's going to be hurt that Iruma didn't tell him.

I think given the severity of such a revelation, and the fact that Alice's own mother has primed both of them on what it means to keep secrets from friends. On top of Alice also keeping his own secret that he felt honor-bound to reveal to Iruma only for Iruma to stop him and tell him to wait until he was ready. No way Alice is actually hurt Iruma didn't tell him he's human, but it will still be something to grapple with on a cognitive level.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I think given the severity of such a revelation, and the fact that Alice's own mother has primed both of them on what it means to keep secrets from friends. On top of Alice also keeping his own secret that he felt honor-bound to reveal to Iruma only for Iruma to stop him and tell him to wait until he was ready. No way Alice is actually hurt Iruma didn't tell him he's human, but it will still be something to grapple with on a cognitive level.

It'll be something a villain tries to use to sow doubt with Alice and it will invariably fail

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
"You're a Child".

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm sure it was said before but I must say it again:

Clara
is
very
powerful

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm not going to gloss over the fact that Iruma cleared that table by himself. The little fatty.

Xelkelvos posted:

It'll be something a villain tries to use to sow doubt with Alice and it will invariably fail
See, this chapter just confirms to me that for all that Kirio thinks he's driving a wedge between Alice and Iruma. When he finally isn't interrupted when revealing Iruma's identity. It will probably just result in Alice instantly trying to murder him for sharing such a secret before Iruma was ready.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

look them........

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Three soulmates together forever.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The Center of Attention

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I forget, can Iruma actually talk with people about how Kirio saviorblocked him with the forcefield, or is he still trying to keep it secret that he went full origins and joined the six fingers so he has a place to come back to at Babyls?

It is refreshing that the Misfits aren't getting swept up with the general worry of demon society, nonetheless.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
An Archer's Claim

Baal...:argh:

President Barbatos getting straight to the point however. Interesting that the three heroes apparently rival the 13 crowns in influence. On top of that Jazz and Allocer's mentor is from the same clan as, or might even be, Furfor of the 3 heroes. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The first thing Lied says in chapter 95 when they introduce the tutors is "Furfur, you mean... One of the 3 Great Heroes from the War of the Valley?!"

We've also seen the Zepar clan before, during the protect the freshmen arc

EDIT
In case you're wondering who:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 12, 2023