Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

U-DO Burger posted:

I generally don't like spoilers, so I was really annoyed when I started watching the show, and the Alabasta arc's anime opening showed Robin as a member of the crew like 50 episodes before she joins

That one was legitimately baffling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

4Kids dub stays winning

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I generally don't like spoilers, so I was really annoyed when I started watching the show, and the Alabasta arc's anime opening showed Robin as a member of the crew like 50 episodes before she joins

Can't say for sure why they did this. It was the early 2000's and the production crew could have just assumed "well of course all the kids reading the manga know that Robin joins the crew!" so they didn't consider anime-only fans. :shrug:

I think that's the only time they did that. Even in Wano, they kept Jinbe out of the OP until he officially joined, then they started using a slight variation of the same OP and he's in there now.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 3, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did 4Kids give Robin a Texan or a Russian accent? I could see them going either way

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hatty posted:

Did 4Kids give Robin a Texan or a Russian accent? I could see them going either way

Texan, iirc

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWkBLhXOF4

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
4KIDS dub of Water7 editing a hat on to Robin so the accent doesn't stop making sense

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wish 4Kids could’ve made it to thriller bark so we’d Funky Phantom Brook and Peter Lorre Moria

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

IMO spoilers are super contextual. Obviously you have things like the Sixth Sense where the surprise twist is effectively the entire point, on the other end of the spectrum you have something like a super hero movie where "the good guy beats the bad guy" is less a spoiler than an obvious expectation.

I posit that the weekly spoilers that get posted are a lot different being for a short form weekly serialized series than they would be for a book/movie series that has a new entry release every 2-3 years instead of 40 times a year. You're already caught up in that context of weekly cliffhangers and everything that is going on, you're not finding out some out of context "Snape Kills Dumbledore" type thing while in line to read a 600 page book building up to that twist. When Ace was punched through the heart in one chapter and then the next chapter confirmed he died (even going so far as being title "The Death of Portgas D. Ace") even if you read about the punch three days sooner than you saw it, you were already immersed in the mindset of the war and the danger of Admirals being on the battlefield, you weren't instead reading about how Ace died right when Luffy escaped Impel Down completely taking the wind out of the sails of the rescue attempt*.

I generally don't get angry over spoilers, I try to avoid them for certain things I care about and seek them out in other circumstances. I am hot and cold when it comes to OP, for awhile I avoided them but I've slipped as things have built up because again I honestly don't have the feeling that I "ruined" something by reading about e.g. seraphim showing up rather than seeing it in a cool spread (plus it helps gauge how close to a chapter release we are and if there is a break). I do think it can get a tad obnoxious how this thread can sometimes veer from being just anti-spoiler to openly disgusted by and hostile toward people who dare to read spoilers, especially because pre-scan spoilers have already been banned so like, you've already won that battle.

*and yeah stuff like an intro spoiling that an arc enemy joins the crew is the exact type of spoiler that is understandably annoying for most people

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Worrying about spoilers is a first world problem and shows your privilege maybe better than any other indicator.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You just know that when the meaning of "D" gets revealed, it's gonna be EVERYWHERE.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Eiba posted:

I hate spoilers because it means when I see a thing I end up thinking "oh, that's what they were talking about," and thinking about where I learned the spoilers, rather than being fully immersed in the media.

The surprise is beside the point, though it sucks to have surprises ruined. I just hate it when puzzle pieces come together and one of the most important pieces is "that thing someone said on the forums" rather than something from the story itself.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you, and I try to avoid spoiling anything to friends whatsoever because it can ruin their fun. I just meant for myself that the slogan gave me some relief because I realized that a lot of times I agree with the sentiment.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DizzyBum posted:

I think that's the only time they did that. Even in Wano, they kept Jinbe out of the OP until he officially joined, then they started using a slight variation of the same OP and he's in there now.

I mean, the literally spoiled that Kaido was a dragon on the very first episode of the Wano arc in the anime. The OP Anime will update OPs as the arcs go on, but they still have a ton of spoilers in them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

U-DO Burger posted:

It'd have been hilarious if they showed random people joining the crew who didn't, though. After that just show Gin as the like seventh strawhat for half a season in the opening and confuse everyone before swapping him out for someone else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently Ian McShane is going to be the narrator of Netflix Piece

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

That's... huh!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Somebody AI the Kaido introduction with this voice a la Deadwood delivery

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Nuebot posted:

It'd have been hilarious if they showed random people joining the crew who didn't, though. After that just show Gin as the like seventh strawhat for half a season in the opening and confuse everyone before swapping him out for someone else.

Like how Bobo-Bo Bo-Bobo's intro had a villain that always appeared with the protagonists in the intro even though he never switched sides and never even appeared in the series again after his respective arc

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Once there was the cocksucker named Gold Roger, who was king of poo poo. He had whores, power, and whores, beyond any of your wildest fuckin' dreams. Before he swung from the goddamn gallows, these were his last loving words:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waffleman_ posted:

Game of Thrones fans: Hey don't give things away!
Ian McShane: Oh please, it's just tits and dragons :rolleyes:
One Piece Fans: Yeah, tell 'em Mr. McShane. Also the One Piece i-
Ian McShane: If you spoil the manga for me I will scoop your eyeballs out with my thumbs :stare:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm a bit baffled that there are actually people who are still fans of the One Piece anime at all, lol.

From the clips I've seen on Youtube of the recent episodes, they've really been stepping up the animation quality for the Wano Arc, so I can see people who fell off it hopping back on just to watch the hype moments. Pacing is definitely still off (there'll be a couple of minutes of shocked onlookers going 'WHAAAAA-?!' every time in response to what was a quick one-panel gag in the manga), but there's no denying it's very pretty to look at, in an over-the-top sort of way.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Dragging things out so much actually benefited the Queen fight, where there's this absurd amount of build-up to his ultimate attack and then "BRACHIOSAURHISS" hits you like a sledgehammer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Absolutely loved that.

https://i.imgur.com/RcTebIU.mp4

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

mdct posted:

There's also the well-studied effect that spoilers don't actually affect people's enjoyment of things, in practice. They think it does, but mostly they just get upset at the spoilers and then enjoy the product just fine.

Arist posted:

this is a misinterpretation of that study fwiw, they were testing with media the subjects didn't have any prior exposure to which obviously you're going to care less about spoilers for

To add to this, it's not even a well-studied effect. A very similar study was conducted in 2015 by a different university, and the results were completely the opposite of the original.

Personally, I'm indifferent to spoilers (especially out-of-context summaries or promos) until I get emotionally invested in a story... but once I reach that point spoilers can certainly detract from my enjoyment. I don't need a flawed and unreliable study to know that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Sxmureye/status/1687115416894902272

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Nobody on the internet cares about OP spoilers other than the people in this thread, and even this thread didn't give a gently caress until the last half decade.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a courtesy that takes literal seconds to accomodate. :shrug:

Big part of it is that OP spoilers come out over a series of days, so if we did discuss them when they broke you'd be getting the cliff note, sometimes wrong, summary a day or two before any actual pages came out. I personally don't mind sitting on the info til the bad scans come out.

"What if Luffy were 9/10 legs"

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Tolth posted:

Nobody on the internet cares about OP spoilers other than the people in this thread, and even this thread didn't give a gently caress until the last half decade.

Everybody on the internet cares about OP spoilers other than a couple of whiny people in this thread, who never contribute anything of value anyway.

(I can make sweeping generalisations based on limited, personal experiences too!)

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I never write ITT but I also don't have the urge to discuss incomplete reddit spoilers.

I am usually content in reading the scans reading the thread opinions on it.

On another note: I just got through dressrosa on my reread and it was really good.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I should write an extension or something that removes the spoilers, specifically for this thread, so it's easier for me to read.

Are there actually people that scroll past 2 pages of pure spoiler bars and say to themselves "ah, all caught up on OP discussion"?

I'm not going to say there's a wrong way to read manga, it just seems a little odd to me. Whatever floats your goat though!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Didn’t someone make a spoiler free thread

E: Oh yeah here it is

hatty fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 4, 2023

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

hatty posted:

Didn’t someone make a spoiler free thread

This is a spoiler free thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The posting of text spoilers without associated context or imagery sucks. It's a bad way to experience this story and I legitimately don't understand making it the first way you experience a chapter.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Arist posted:

The posting of text spoilers without associated context or imagery sucks. It's a bad way to experience this story and I legitimately don't understand making it the first way you experience a chapter.

No but you see there's a study that says you're wrong and actually like spoilers1!!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I only read the official releases which means this thread is 90% scrolling past hidden spoilers.
It's turning into a thread that feels like a waste for my situation

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Upsidads posted:

I only read the official releases which means this thread is 90% scrolling past hidden spoilers.
It's turning into a thread that feels like a waste for my situation

We have people who want to talk about early spoilers and rumours the moment they leak.
Then at the other end of the spectrum we have people like yourself who want to wait for the official release (which I respect).
Honestly I feel like the current policy is the best compromise we can reach. Yeah it definitely sucks that 90% of the conversation happens before you read the chapter but at least it's behind spoiler tags and you're not completely excluded from non-spoilery discussions which happen in the meantime.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I think the TCB/FanScans are the most reasonable point for spoiler tagged chat to begin, not the early written only spoilers.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i personally still don't agree with the ban on discussing spoilers so long as they're behind tags. feels like its "i dont want to discuss that material and other people that want to shouldn't be allowed to". the argument that it takes up space in the thread has always felt hollow because it's not taking up space for those people that want to discuss them, and if you want to talk about something else, there's nothing stopping you from doing that.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Arist posted:

i enjoy it. i like the speculation me and some buddies do when the spoilers come out. i like making connections between the bare-bones text spoilers and guessing/predicting what themes or ideas the story is going by from them. i read the fake scans and the real release too, so idk, it's only enhancing my enjoyment of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'll sometimes read the text only spoilers, but it's deffo not worth talking about here (besides whether it's break next week or not). It's more to satiate my curiosity and know what to expect. Ideally we'd talk at tcb, but at least we are all weeaboomers and understand the fast scans are imperfect translations that have to be taken with a heavy grain of salt in some details.

If TCB stopped doing what they do for whatever reason, I'd just wait until Sunday.