Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

All my work in the past was Java and SQL. But again, I remember jack poo poo about it. It's been nearly 20 years since I've typed a single line of code.

Haha yeah, I know I'm being incredibly vague. To be slightly more specific - I'm curious about trying to create a site where people can meet each other and link up based on interests. Like, if my interest is train collecting, I can find other people who also have that interest in my area. Or maybe my interest is D&D or maybe it's pottery.

Maybe I'm overestimating what I'm capable of or what I could reasonably learn. But I'm just curious to explore this idea to the most I can.

You don't need to be vague about this because thinking of "Facebook but for model train people" is not a business. The least interesting part of this is the technology and how to build it. If you want to run MySQL + Java + plus some Javascript. Go nuts! The hard part about this is getting "model train people" to join it, create a sense of community, and not having it get weird (spoiler it will). The easy part is building the site, it's the marketing and policing of the site that's hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Having recently built a lil website with 20 year old tech for a hobby group, the general consensus was "wow this is so fast and usable!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

gariig posted:

You don't need to be vague about this because thinking of "Facebook but for model train people" is not a business. The least interesting part of this is the technology and how to build it. If you want to run MySQL + Java + plus some Javascript. Go nuts! The hard part about this is getting "model train people" to join it, create a sense of community, and not having it get weird (spoiler it will). The easy part is building the site, it's the marketing and policing of the site that's hard.

I'm not trying to think of this in the term of business. It's a personal project for me. I just am starting from essentially square one when it comes to programming knowledge and am just trying to get some direction on what would be best to learn to create this.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I think the easiest point to make is that this certainly already exists and the difficulty of getting others involved is perfectly reflected in not having found it already.

Like: Have you looked? Really honestly searched high and low? Reddit? Mastodon? Discord? I know this is asking proof of a negative but there should at least be remains of one to start from.

Anyway: Discord. What you're asking for is just a Discord server.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

All my work in the past was Java and SQL. But again, I remember jack poo poo about it. It's been nearly 20 years since I've typed a single line of code.

Haha yeah, I know I'm being incredibly vague. To be slightly more specific - I'm curious about trying to create a site where people can meet each other and link up based on interests. Like, if my interest is train collecting, I can find other people who also have that interest in my area. Or maybe my interest is D&D or maybe it's pottery.

Maybe I'm overestimating what I'm capable of or what I could reasonably learn. But I'm just curious to explore this idea to the most I can.
If you don't want to get super deep into javascript or whatever and just want to start as simply as possible, you could:
1) pick a language, say python
2) work out how you would want to store the information in a database
3) write basic functions for the basic database operations you would need using sql or an ORM or whatever, maybe sqlalchemy if you're using python. You can do this before actually using any sort of web framework.
4) start writing the basic pages you need using a simple microframework (e.g. flask in the case of python) as GET/POST endpoints that return html (generated using strings or a templating engine or some sort of HTML builder) without worrying too much about formatting
5) Then you can try to polish it more and add css for formatting. If you just need to have small pieces of pages update without reloading the whole pages you could just use the javascript library HTMX which allows you to do this without having to learn any javascript. Alternatively, you could use a little javascript in those cases.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Partially retracting my prior post after reading twice. You aren't looking for specific hobby groups but instead wanting to make a tool for localizing and connecting hobby groups?

The 1-on-1 thing threw me. You're being vague about reinventing meetup.com

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe it's more like tinder for model train enthusiasts

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ranzear posted:

Partially retracting my prior post after reading twice. You aren't looking for specific hobby groups but instead wanting to make a tool for localizing and connecting hobby groups?

Yeah. Basically a hobby-based friend finder. I've looked into stuff like meetup or bumble's friend finder but... they all kinda suck rear end. I want someone to be able to search "Model trains + Chicago" and see every user in Chicago that has "model trains" as an interest - then have the ability to message/connect with those people. Or "Pottery + Los Angeles" etc etc.

mystes posted:

If you don't want to get super deep into javascript or whatever and just want to start as simply as possible, you could:
1) pick a language, say python
2) work out how you would want to store the information in a database
3) write basic functions for the basic database operations you would need using sql or an ORM or whatever, maybe sqlalchemy if you're using python. You can do this before actually using any sort of web framework.
4) start writing the basic pages you need using a simple microframework (e.g. flask in the case of python) as GET/POST endpoints that return html (generated using strings or a templating engine or some sort of HTML builder) without worrying too much about formatting
5) Then you can try to polish it more and add css for formatting. If you just need to have small pieces of pages update without reloading the whole pages you could just use the javascript library HTMX which allows you to do this without having to learn any javascript. Alternatively, you could use a little javascript in those cases.

Thanks for this. I'll do some research into this approach.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually, the alternative comedy option is: google "how to make a tinder clone," pick one in your language of choice, and just modify it to be about hobbies

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

mystes posted:

Actually, the alternative comedy option is: google "how to make a tinder clone" and just modify it to be about hobbies

:hmmyes:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Basically a hobby-based friend finder. I've looked into stuff like meetup or bumble's friend finder but... they all kinda suck rear end. I want someone to be able to search "Model trains + Chicago" and see every user in Chicago that has "model trains" as an interest - then have the ability to message/connect with those people. Or "Pottery + Los Angeles" etc etc.

Physical locality is too narrow in this era. It's taken as a bonus to being in larger groups for a given hobby. As with subreddits, regional localities are just another topic on the pile. That's why Discord springs to mind, because being able to talk about model trains with anybody at all beats out the slim chance for find somebody within n miles.

Meetup sucks rear end because they have to keep things clamped down to prevent abuse. Targeted harassment, stalking, general personal safety concerns.

"How" is largely trivial and irrelevant in this design space. A minority of people joining your platform and being total shitters can tank the whole thing. That's the hard part, where platforms like Discord have put in serious work for safety and moderation tooling.

I'm not even that paranoid about putting personal identity online, but ask me to tie LGBTQ alignment to what city I live in and I am gone.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I realize that life is nothing but a black hole of existential dread in 2023 but maybe just in the general programming questions thread let people try to make a website if they want even if there's a zero percent chance it will become the next reddit/facebook/whatever

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah. It sucks out there and that post seems gloomy. I still think it's a fair gripe and warning that a project of this scope involves personally identifying information that should not be handled trivially. Learning how to make the site is fine, learning why not to make the site is also fine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ranzear posted:

Yeah. It sucks out there and that post seems gloomy. I still think it's a fair gripe and warning that a project of this scope involves personally identifying information that should not be handled trivially. Learning how to make the site is fine, learning why not to make the site is also fine.

For the record - I appreciate your posts. I hope none of my posting came across as bitter or aggressive. And I agree, knowing what not to do is just as important as knowing what to do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mordiceius posted:

A site where they could link up with other toy train collectors based on their geographical location. A site where they could create group events for different areas. Not like a full-blown social media site, but more of a friend-finding site based on a specific hobby, if that makes sense.

Just remember that you'll need to deal with COPPA, so it's probably easier to just require all of the users of your friend finder to be adults. An adult friend finder, you might say.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mordiceius posted:

For the record - I appreciate your posts. I hope none of my posting came across as bitter or aggressive. And I agree, knowing what not to do is just as important as knowing what to do.

People are kinda jumping down your throat about wanting to do a hobby project because it might waste your time. They might be correct but it’s a lil odd imo.

I think the advice to Google how to make a tinder/reddit/etc clone is how I’d go about researching this though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

People are kinda jumping down your throat about wanting to do a hobby project because it might waste your time. They might be correct but it’s a lil odd imo.

I think the advice to Google how to make a tinder/reddit/etc clone is how I’d go about researching this though.

Incorrect; I'm doing it purely because the innuendo is just too good to pass up.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I'm looking for an easy to use development environment I can run on Android (or Windows) that I can use to develop a simple app for Android and IOS using the same code. I haven't done any programming in a while so would like to let library calls do most of the work.

The app need to pair with and use a bluetooth "clicker" and send messages to another app.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

JamesieAB posted:

I'm looking for an easy to use development environment I can run on Android (or Windows) that I can use to develop a simple app for Android and IOS using the same code. I haven't done any programming in a while so would like to let library calls do most of the work.

The app need to pair with and use a bluetooth "clicker" and send messages to another app.

Flutter is one development kit that can target both Android and iOS. And as for IDE, Android Studio and VS Code can work with it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

JamesieAB posted:

Just noticed that you wrote "using the same code" which makes this slightly more awkward. As others said, you'll want to use some kind of cross platform framework. There's several things you can do like React Native, or Xamarin. There's Kotlin Multiplatform, but I don't know how it will handle Bluetooth. For that matter, I'm not sure if those other frameworks require any Device type specific branching.

E: even with flutter, you may need to write device specific code.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 5, 2023

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
"using the same code" would be ideal. I just don't want to write 2 seperate apps but I can accept that there will be a few code differences.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

JamesieAB posted:

Flutter.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm writing an application that runs on-premises. One component requires the user to (among other things) choose a location on a map. Aside from how this is accomplished within the app, the providers I'm familiar with are Google Maps and Bing Maps (and Bing is particularly attractive because we're a .NET shop and some of the (e.g. Telerik) controls we could use just plug into Bing Maps without any hassle). They each have APIs that can display maps, pin locations, draw geofences, estimate travel times between locations, etc. These APIs are accessed via generated API key. I don't want to generate a single API key to be used with many on-prem clients/deployments, however the way the API keys are generated give me the impression that they're not really expecting one account (my Google or Microsoft account) to generate hundreds of keys (one for each client). I also would have a hard time somehow getting these (not technically savvy) clients to individually create Google/Microsoft accounts, link a credit card, and provide keys themselves. I've thought about hosting my own web server, through which I could funnels all api requests from all clients, which would allow me to use a single API key, but it'd be a single point of failure for all clients, I'd have a server on the public internet to worry about, make sure it's not being abused, go down the rabbit hole of whitelisted IP addresses, etc.

I think the model I really need here is Twilio/Stripe where they're expecting you to create "sub-accounts" to re-sell the service, but I haven't found a similar model in the maps space.

Any advice/recommendations?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

epswing posted:

I think the model I really need here is Twilio/Stripe where they're expecting you to create "sub-accounts" to re-sell the service, but I haven't found a similar model in the maps space.

Any advice/recommendations?

Unless someone pops out of the woodwork with a vendor that does exactly this, I think it's entirely on you to do this. Create a new Project for each client on Google dashboard if you want to track it more granularly, otherwise you'll need to give each client an API key and remember to deactivate it.

Yer a Vendor, 'arry!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have you looked at OpenStreetMap, whether it can fill your needs?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

quote:

however the way the API keys are generated give me the impression that they’re not really expecting one account (my Google or Microsoft account) to generate hundreds of keys (one for each client)

Why not?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

you'll need to give each client an API key and remember to deactivate it.

lifg posted:

Why not?

Yeah, it's a fair question. Because I've used Twilio and Stripe, which are both set up specifically for re-selling to sub-accounts, I think I'm just apprehensive about using a service in a way that wasn't intended. Like I'm not sure I can rule out a provider suddenly saying "whoops, we now only allow 10 active API keys at a time!" and I've got say a couple thousand of them out there in production. But on the other hand, as long as the provider's bills are getting paid, do they really care? Probably not! I hope!?

nielsm posted:

Have you looked at OpenStreetMap, whether it can fill your needs?

Not yet, but thanks for reminding me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

use an iac tool to create and destroy the project api keys

pulumi: https://www.pulumi.com/registry/packages/gcp/api-docs/projects/apikey/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

can I get an updated (discord) link? We've got some positions that if I can fill I get money.

beep beep, anyone still on the discord? :-p Feel free to PM if easier

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's marked as a community server. Don't think it's supposed to expire.

https://discord.gg/MdKPmbTH

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 10, 2023

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the Flutter advice.

I have downloaded Flutter/Dart and vscode etc but can't get the android emulator to work so I have started using the online Flutter development environment - Flutterab.

Is this a good choice? What about others like Flutterflow?

Also can anyone recommend online training?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ranzear posted:

It's marked as a community server. Don't think it's supposed to expire.

https://discord.gg/MdKPmbTH

it appears the auth bot has been broken for a while, maybe my auth request will eventually be responded to :shrug:

if these positions get filled, we'll have more next quarter, I imagine.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it appears the auth bot has been broken for a while, maybe my auth request will eventually be responded to :shrug:

if these positions get filled, we'll have more next quarter, I imagine.

Apologies if we missed your request! Can you shoot me a PM on discord? Same name as here (and similar for other folks that have tried to auth). I'll try to be better about monitoring from now on, it's a manual process so I am sorry if we inconvenienced anybody

edit: Oh and for folks who haven't requested already, you can just post in the auth_waiting_room with a link to your profile (and add "I paid $10 for this?" to your profile so we know it's you). PMs please for folks who already asked and are waiting

Shirec fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 12, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My organization is on GitHub (not enterprise, though). Is there a way to watch when new issues are added to a repo?

We're trying to receive notifications on some repos so when coworkers add issues we get notified and can walk through a workflow but I'm clearly missing something. There's webhooks, and I guess I don't mind setting up a PWA to handle them, I just figured there'd be some simpler way to configure workflows including notifications for Issues.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Webhooks is the simple way.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I think you can just use the repo watch option to get email notification from new issues, that seems significantly simpler

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Obfuscation posted:

I think you can just use the repo watch option to get email notification from new issues, that seems significantly simpler

If you want to trigger a workflow from it automatically, then you now have the issue of needing a program to receive those mails and parse them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nielsm posted:

Webhooks is the simple way.

Zapier kicks rear end for this use case. Whenever I have an infrequent (Eg 2x daily) thing that just needs to send someone an IM or email in response to some webhook with JSON or other some other trigger I just use Zapier.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I have an unusual and perhaps ill-fitting question. But I am a man on a mission.

Does anyone here remember Dr. Chaos? (Joseph Konopka) Better yet, did anyone here know Dr. Chaos? I'm doing some research for a thing and I'd love to have some anecdotes.

Otherwise, don't mind me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Golden Gael posted:

I have an unusual and perhaps ill-fitting question. But I am a man on a mission.

Does anyone here remember Dr. Chaos? (Joseph Konopka) Better yet, did anyone here know Dr. Chaos? I'm doing some research for a thing and I'd love to have some anecdotes.

Otherwise, don't mind me!

Are you asking if anyone here hosed him?