Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Kiddo turned 2 today, and as a birthday present to him his daycare announced they were shutting down after 23 years. They gave us a year's notice, at least.

It was a lot more convenient when my wife was working at the hospital it was attached to, we're now both WFH so it's a good excuse to find a closer place but maaaan. Still a pain.

We've been trying the naked method on the weekends (his age room at daycare doesn't have the kid sized potties, so he's in a diaper for day care) and we haven't had much success yet but we're trying lol. He seems to be at the "I'll hold it until I'm off the potty stage then LOOK OUT".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

After two days of daycare, we have gotten several photos of a very sad child throwing balls around a room, and ones of all the other kids sitting around the teacher listening to a story while he is off playing with magnets on a whiteboard. He just turned two, and this is the 2-3 daycare class, and so everyone is older than him and have been in these systems.for months or even years, like since they were only a few months old (cutoff for classes is august 1st, so his late July birthday means he'll be the youngest in every class he's ever gonna be in at school here. And yet he looks bigger than many of them... he's very big for his age) I think this is going to be rough for maybe over a month until he starts getting it. First days he's barely been eating at daycare as well.

Just gotta remember that everyone eventually gets it. It may take time, but they do.

That all sounds pretty common. He'll figure out how his micro society works here in a month or so. Kids that age adapt super fast. By next Tuesday (with the weekend to process) he'll be a completely different person

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

GoutPatrol posted:

After two days of daycare, we have gotten several photos of a very sad child throwing balls around a room, and ones of all the other kids sitting around the teacher listening to a story while he is off playing with magnets on a whiteboard. He just turned two, and this is the 2-3 daycare class, and so everyone is older than him and have been in these systems.for months or even years, like since they were only a few months old (cutoff for classes is august 1st, so his late July birthday means he'll be the youngest in every class he's ever gonna be in at school here. And yet he looks bigger than many of them... he's very big for his age) I think this is going to be rough for maybe over a month until he starts getting it. First days he's barely been eating at daycare as well.

Just gotta remember that everyone eventually gets it. It may take time, but they do.

Those first few weeks of daycare photos are treasures because you can see them slowly adapting and getting less sad over time. Ours didn’t eat in daycare for over a month and then we finally got a picture of her eating half a goldfish and it was the best day ever.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My kid sobbed and fought every daycare drop off for 3 months. Then he made a best friend and the two of them are insanely cute together. They have like their own weird little toddler jargon and jokes.

Now he will sometimes forget to hug and kiss us because he’s so excited to run in and play with his buddies.

Also we had his buddy and his parents come over for a play date and it short circuited our kid. It wasn’t his first play date, but the first with his actual friend in his own house. He froze up and made me pick him up and hold him while he watched his buddy play with all his toys for 20 minutes. Then he got over it and the two of them were buds again.

space uncle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 4, 2023

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Child health center nurse: Your kid is 65 cm long, congrats

Me, the very next day: Surely these pants with a label clearly saying 62cm is a worth while investment that will fit him for weeks to come

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Kids grow way too quick. We have a bunch of things that have never been worn.

My baby girl at 8 months is in 1s (12-18m) but grandma doesn't listen

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I routinely buy clothes that are mostly too big and then by the time they fit they are stained and worn out so it’s never an ideal look.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
I keep telling my mom to buy at least a size larger than she thinks she should. It doesn't stick. She just sent a bunch of size 6 stuff (with all the tags ripped off, of course) that'll be good for maybe a few more months. Kid is pushing 4' tall at 5 and has been off the charts big since a huge growth spurt at like 2.5.

Our ENT agreed the tonsils are big and a bit sus, same with the adenoids, but wanted to try a course of steroids first. They seem to be helping the snoring! But uhhh, still somehow having apnea episodes... We'll just have to wait out the 6 weeks and reassess, I guess.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Has anyone else discovered the scourge of “rainbow friends?” Kiddo is obsessed and now we live in a darmok and jalad at tanagra level of trying to figure out what this child is talking about half the time.

It’s rainbow friends.

It’s always rainbow friends.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

CherryCola posted:

now we live in a darmok and jalad at tanagra level of trying to figure out what this child is talking about half the time.

Thank you for articulating why I never want to hear about Minecraft ever again

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

G-Spot Run posted:

Thank you for articulating why I never want to hear about Minecraft ever again

loving THANK YOU. I enjoy playing Minecraft with my kid and I'm into the technical bits but man my kid just won't. stop. talking. about. it.

"Dad, can I tell you something?"
"What's up bud?"
"Let me tell you the coolest glitches in Minecraft"
"... :ughh: "

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Both my husband and I are in and teach game development. Nothing more frustraing than my 10 year old mansplaining video game poo poo to me or not listening to me when I try to explain how different video game creepy pastas are literally impossible.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Blinkz0rz posted:

loving THANK YOU. I enjoy playing Minecraft with my kid and I'm into the technical bits but man my kid just won't. stop. talking. about. it.

"Dad, can I tell you something?"
"What's up bud?"
"Let me tell you the coolest glitches in Minecraft"
"... :ughh: "

I have a small house that has a wall between the living room and kitchen that essentially makes the house into a loop that you can run small laps around if you want.

So while my boyfriend and I watched TV, the child spent like a half hour running laps in the style of different Rainbow Friends because apparently they all have different running styles?? But I also had to give him "permission" for almost every lap.

CAN I RUN LIKE RED? Sure *run run run* CAN I RUN LIKE GREEN? Fine *run run run*

This is actually an interesting behavior we've been seeing from him. Like he'll ask for milk....I'll give him milk...and then he'll ask if he can drink said milk. He does this for a lot of stuff, and I'm not sure if it's just that he wants that extra bit of acknowledgement/attention or what.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oh my god stop eating the cat's dry food

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Has anyone else discovered the scourge of “rainbow friends?” Kiddo is obsessed and now we live in a darmok and jalad at tanagra level of trying to figure out what this child is talking about half the time.

It’s rainbow friends.

It’s always rainbow friends.

Ours is obsessed with "Spidey" which I guess is Spidey and his Amazing Friends on Disney+. For the last three months it's been a constant "you're gobby! i web you up! *psshtyuut!!*" or "doc oc is over there! and rino!"

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh the other thing he likes is, as I finally learned, called Garten of Banban. Whenever he talks about it, it sounds like *EXCITEDLY GARBLED*BAMBAM so I had no loving idea. Then he said I'm Banbaleena who is apparently Banban's girlfriend?

okay sure

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

The Aardvark posted:

Oh my god stop eating the cat's dry food

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CherryCola posted:

Oh the other thing he likes is, as I finally learned, called Garten of Banban. Whenever he talks about it, it sounds like *EXCITEDLY GARBLED*BAMBAM so I had no loving idea. Then he said I'm Banbaleena who is apparently Banban's girlfriend?

okay sure

The day I discovered that "WANNA WATCH LLAMA" followed by a crying fit when I tried to figure out what "llama" he means... was actually "The Floor is Lava", a Danny Go video. Oh man.

Dude loves those things, he does every move, and does every move hard.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

CherryCola posted:

okay sure

A horror game set in an abandoned kindergarten where all the kids went missing? Yikes!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

How to stop a very determined to climb everything child? Please send help

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter goes to the same pre-school as one of our neighbors' son. They've been in the same class for the last year. She's been saying for the last week that they were going to get married. My wife told me today, our daughter was saying she was going to tell him to do stuff after they got married.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son is vomiting because he has a stomach bug and my daughter just vomited because she gagged from coughing due to a cold.

At the very least their daycare is closed for summer break so I already planned on being home with them next week. But I’m not looking forward to the next few days!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hallo spacedog posted:

Put ankle weights on them. Either it works or they get a good step aerobic workout.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Muir posted:

A horror game set in an abandoned kindergarten where all the kids went missing? Yikes!

Both his parents are spooky weirdos. He loves all things spooky and is afraid of nothing. His favorite bedtime story is the Raven 🤷🏻‍♀️ Skulls, weird taxidermy, etc. Anything Halloween, he loves it. His dad doesn’t actually show him full on horror movies, buuut I’m not so sure about his mom.

My niece was also completely unaffected by horror, haunted houses, etc. Some kids are like that I guess.

While I am also a spooky weirdo I am a big babby when it comes to horror stuff. I’ve never been into it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm having the weirdest argument with my daughter where she's telling me a story about playing hide-and-seek with Nana, and I'm like that was me. It was at Nana's house but I was the one in the story. But she's getting madder and madder at me like I PROMISE it's NANA listen to the STORY stop INTERRUPTING and then tells me the same story that I was in. So... I guess I lose.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sliced bread? revolting. terrible. get it away. why are you doing this to me. whyyyyy

Toast? yes please. prometheus has taught you well

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 5, 2023

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

GoutPatrol posted:

Sliced bread? revolting. terrible. get it away. why are you doing this to me. whyyyyy

Toast? yes please

Wow, I can't believe you tried to serve raw toast.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Cool cool cool.

We were supposed to take kiddo on a play date to meet my friend who is in town from Minnesota, her cousin and another friend. Four kiddos at this cool greenspace. I was super hyped for my partner to meet this friend I’ve known for nearly 20 years as well. We are supposed to meet them at 5.

2:30 arrives and the mother has not dropped kiddo off or communicated that it’s okay to pick him up. Finally she responds to say that she’s taking him to a movie at friggin 3:30. Which means that he definitely will not be back at 5. Stupidly, I asked if she would be amenable to putting off their movie plans. He held up his phone and showed me the text wall (like too big to display full on one screen) of her going the gently caress off on him for daring to even pose the question. Calling him a piece of poo poo and saying she can do whatever she wants.

This is of course ignoring that their custody agreement says the 5 pm is the absolute LATEST he can be dropped off and uhhhh yeah that’s probably not happening.

I’m going to end up having to drive up my myself and have them meet us later because this is a friend I see maybe once a year for like an hour if I’m lucky.

I’ll admit I got a little exasperated but dialed it back because obviously my boyfriend is stress out about this poo poo enough and me being pissed of is not going to help anyone. But it’s honestly starting to feel like she’s actually doing this poo poo on purpose.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

GoutPatrol posted:

Toast? yes please. prometheus has taught you well

We have the exact opposite issue, toasted bread with butter or jam or anything nice - ew yuck gently caress off mom. A raw slice of lovely white bread with nothing on it - omg yes this

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hallo spacedog posted:

Friends of mine solved this by putting their bookcases in one corner of their living room and then blocking that whole area off with couches

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My kiddos routinely ask for a slice of “cold bread with butter and cinnamon sugar”. We had to have them start drawing the distinction because doing the reasonable thing of buttered toast with cinnamon sugar was leading to tears and gnashing of teeth.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BadSamaritan posted:

My kiddos routinely ask for a slice of “cold bread with butter and cinnamon sugar”. We had to have them start drawing the distinction because doing the reasonable thing of buttered toast with cinnamon sugar was leading to tears and gnashing of teeth.

My daughter did the same thing, several days of asking for cinnamon toast and then not eating it she's like "I don't like how it's crunchy" and I'm like ohhh, goddam

Now her lunch of choice is mayonnaise and mustard sandwiches.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

We have so many pb&j breakfasts

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We went to the grocery store to buy some tortillas and other stuff to make tacos for lunch.

“We’re gonna have tacos!”
“Tacos!”

Repeat x10 because I’m excited for tacos and I’m trying to get the kid excited.

We also grabbed other food supplies for the week, and the toddler picked out “yellow yogurt”.
“Lemon?”
“Yeah”

We get home and I make him a quesadilla. He demands I put Cheetos in it, avocado on it, and then meat on the side. I comply.

He takes 1 bite of taco, pushes it away, and demands lemon yogurt for lunch. He eats the entire yogurt.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

When something comes in a multipack of various colors and cheap quality control results in one of the items being slightly janky in a way that makes using it frustrating, a toddler will refuse to use any other color.

Every. loving. Time.

If you owned a factory you could put a daycare for employees' kids next to the final conveyor belt and whenever all the kids run over to the window screaming "I want that one!!!" you know you've got a defect.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Whenever my daughter watches a new episode of Daniel tiger she always mimics the misbehavior part for a few days before eventually internalizing the lesson of the show. We’ve had a great time with “Daniel gets mad” episodes over the past couple weeks.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My kid has been experiencing heavy coughing, probably drainage due to allergies. Multiple doctors recommended trying antihistamines and asthma inhaler to see if it helps. I hope it’s not some long Covid poo poo, as it roughly coincides with it.

She’s basically fine all day, but the moment she goes to sleep, she coughs. It’s breaking out hearts to see her struggle like that. It’s been going on for a few months with very little improvement.

Parenting is so loving hard when one feels helpless.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

gbut posted:

My kid has been experiencing heavy coughing, probably drainage due to allergies. Multiple doctors recommended trying antihistamines and asthma inhaler to see if it helps. I hope it’s not some long Covid poo poo, as it roughly coincides with it.

She’s basically fine all day, but the moment she goes to sleep, she coughs. It’s breaking out hearts to see her struggle like that. It’s been going on for a few months with very little improvement.

Parenting is so loving hard when one feels helpless.

My heart goes out to you. Both of mine have asthma, thankfully only triggered by colds. It’s always worse at night because the body’s natural steroid levels go down. Sounds like hers is also being triggered by some sort of post-nasal drip. We had a particularly rough bout of it last week with whatever summer cold they just had, and that required oral steroids (dexamethasone) to get through.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is at a catered party and told her mom she likes my cooking "better than the best restaurant"

I don't think she could possibly know how much that means to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Projectile vomit all over the breakfast table.

Achievement unlocked, I guess?