Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's also worth noting that All Might knew pretty much exactly what AFO would do, and he still opened the fight by taking a hit that heavily damaged his armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

All Might is so loving cool

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This rules, All Might really is the best thing about the manga.

2 things that sprung to mind tho:

The armour looks really villainous, especially the face, with the mask+black sclera+ giant smile. Not a problem, just funny to consider.

This second part is more of a negative. Him basing the abilities of the armor on his students is ultra cool/cute, but it still makes me wish it were the actual students contributing to this fight.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
All Might is the greatest hero, so he doesn't need or want students to help him out.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I bet you the armor has a subwoofer that blasts "I AM HERE"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm kind of amazed he hasn't coughed up blood yet, in hindsight.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm kind of amazed he hasn't coughed up blood yet, in hindsight.

Or oil :psylon:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, I've figured it out, Deku's going to have to devour All Might and completely obliterate every part of his personality in the process, like Piccolo fusing with Nail and Kami. That's how the "greatest hero" quote makes sense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, I've figured it out, Deku's going to have to devour All Might and completely obliterate every part of his personality in the process, like Piccolo fusing with Nail and Kami. That's how the "greatest hero" quote makes sense.

Deku is Isagi Yoichi??

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All Might dying after all and Nighteye being right would be a kick in the nuts, such that the power of a thousand elegantly threaded jearts would be meaningless to me.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

RareAcumen posted:

This but All Might absorbs Deku

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/heroaca_anime/status/1688143904582025216

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4l89xFsPlA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those that can read Japanese, does the fourth movie have a subtitle like the other 3 or is it just “MHA The Movie” at the moment?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The latter. There is no subtitle atm.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018462
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-396/chapter/39917?action=read

My Hero Academia Manga Thread: Streaming is your Bankai?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All Might is so loving cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The one time Sugarman does something and it's not even him. :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All Might: Melissa, can you also make sure my supersuit is able to use Black Whip?
Melissa: Sure, is that another one of your students' quirks?
All Might: No, it's one of the 6 additional quirks embedded in One For All.
Melissa: ONE. OF. THE. WHAT?!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

David, who acted as his sidekick for years: You could WHAT

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oh jay posted:

All Might: Melissa, can you also make sure my supersuit is able to use Black Whip?
Melissa: Sure, is that another one of your students' quirks?
All Might: No, it's one of the 6 additional quirks embedded in One For All.
Melissa: ONE. OF. THE. WHAT?!

All Might: I'm sorry, Falcon Punch always worked well for me, I don't know what to say!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
All Might loving rules

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
All Might is my loving favorite and I hear the English dub in my head every time like he's about to die and it chokes me up.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This reraises a concern in the world of MHA. Given the quirk singularity, at some point, someone is going to a very strong quirk that is going to be like a nuclear bomb, but the advancement of support items and technology make it so that anyone can be a strong hero or a villain without needing years of training or drugs. This idea was lightly touched upon during the start of the liberation arc, but now, we have a quirkless person at a power level to challenge All For One's current state. Seems like a missed opportunity to not have explored this further.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flair posted:

Seems like a missed opportunity to not have explored this further.

That's the whole manga

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Flair posted:

This reraises a concern in the world of MHA. Given the quirk singularity, at some point, someone is going to a very strong quirk that is going to be like a nuclear bomb, but the advancement of support items and technology make it so that anyone can be a strong hero or a villain without needing years of training or drugs. This idea was lightly touched upon during the start of the liberation arc, but now, we have a quirkless person at a power level to challenge All For One's current state. Seems like a missed opportunity to not have explored this further.
It's basically X-Men and they have dealt with metaphorical and literal nuclear bomb mutations before.

There was a short story about a teenager's mutation activating that turned basically every person in his small town into ash, and anyone within the general vicinity he was in would also turn into dust so Wolverine was dispatched to deal with him. Gave him a talk, let him drink some beer and it's implied that Wolverine had to put him down because that kind of mutation could not safely exist and only Wolverine could do it because his accelerated healing factor was the only thing stopping him from getting caught in collateral too.

Stories like that aren't so black and white and I think where this series got off the rails was the author running out of ideas for a high school setting and his horrible health forcing him to rush to the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm actually uncertain about what will happen here. On one hand, there isn't really anyone else on the hero side with much of a narrative incentive to be responsible for All for One's defeat. So, on a basic narrative level, I'd say that All Might has a better chance here than, say, Gojo in his current fight in Jujutsu Kaisen. But on the other hand, All Might's situation here seems really precarious, and All for One can't really be directly defeated, outside of just doing enough damage to make his time run out sooner. I think it's possible that All Might's suit might be destroyed and he might, through the power of True Grit and Willpower, summon forth one last burst of his One for All power. It'd be silly, but so is "a suit that lets him fight All for One."

Also, while it's cool, the introduction of technology that can directly fight against One for All, and developed by a specific person even, is very silly. Who cares about the "quirk singularity" when you can make tech suits that give a person power on part with All for One or One for All? That seems like a big problem!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Stain is also still lurking around watching this, and All For One just happens to have the blood type most affected by his quirk.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

I'm actually uncertain about what will happen here. On one hand, there isn't really anyone else on the hero side with much of a narrative incentive to be responsible for All for One's defeat. So, on a basic narrative level, I'd say that All Might has a better chance here than, say, Gojo in his current fight in Jujutsu Kaisen. But on the other hand, All Might's situation here seems really precarious, and All for One can't really be directly defeated, outside of just doing enough damage to make his time run out sooner. I think it's possible that All Might's suit might be destroyed and he might, through the power of True Grit and Willpower, summon forth one last burst of his One for All power. It'd be silly, but so is "a suit that lets him fight All for One."

Also, while it's cool, the introduction of technology that can directly fight against One for All, and developed by a specific person even, is very silly. Who cares about the "quirk singularity" when you can make tech suits that give a person power on part with All for One or One for All? That seems like a big problem!

That last paragraph also led to another big question. People have been making quirkless-Deku fics for a long time on the basis that he could use gadgets and suits to help him and apparently that was considered the original concept. This pretty much supports the idea that not only could it have worked, but could have put him on par with the biggest fish in the pond.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 8, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tampa Bae posted:

It's basically X-Men and they have dealt with metaphorical and literal nuclear bomb mutations before.

There was a short story about a teenager's mutation activating that turned basically every person in his small town into ash, and anyone within the general vicinity he was in would also turn into dust so Wolverine was dispatched to deal with him. Gave him a talk, let him drink some beer and it's implied that Wolverine had to put him down because that kind of mutation could not safely exist and only Wolverine could do it because his accelerated healing factor was the only thing stopping him from getting caught in collateral too.

Stories like that aren't so black and white and I think where this series got off the rails was the author running out of ideas for a high school setting and his horrible health forcing him to rush to the end.

That story, while great, didn't really address the issue at hand in any kind of sustainable way any more than MHA is doing right now - it stated out loud that Wolverine's presence was because they understood that the fear and panic generated by a mutant with genocide powers like that would lead to an enormous pogrom against mutantkind and the only way they could prevent that was by quietly killing anyone who they discovered with that kind of dangerous mutation before the information leaked. Wolverine's job in that story is no different than Hawks - murdering people whose powers are so dangerous that they risk societal collapse by existing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They make a point fairly early on that technology stagnated badly in response to quirks happening and it is only recently that it has started being pushed forward again. So I could buy that we're seeing the results of that rapid restart of technological development.

Also the Quirk Singularity and being afraid of it is still a theory made by an evil scientist who has performed horrific crimes against mankind and nature.

Also also we got introduced to a world destroying quirk at USJ. Thirteen creates black holes.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 8, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have fandom-dislike for that Wolverine story because it tends to get brought up in the context of "well actually, if you think about it, the Empire was right people ARE correct to hate and fear mutants" even though it is in itself a very good story.

Given that both artificial quirk creation and, potentially, artificial quirk destruction have been invented, it would seem straightforward to address this in a much kinder way in the MHA world, were someone to be born with QUIRK: KILL EVERYBODY IN TWO MILES. (And they don't seem to be that powerful unless you train, anyway.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Am I enjoying a MHA chapter? It's been so long. All Might is so cool you guys. He truly is here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lord_Magmar posted:

They make a point fairly early on that technology stagnated badly in response to quirks happening and it is only recently that it has started being pushed forward again. So I could buy that we're seeing the results of that rapid restart of technological development.

Also the Quirk Singularity and being afraid of it is still a theory made by an evil scientist who has performed horrific crimes against mankind and nature.

Also also we got introduced to a world destroying quirk at USJ. Thirteen creates black holes.

drat, their console generations must have been more underwhelming than the PS5

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lord_Magmar posted:

The concept of the quirk singularity - or something like it - being able to destroy society as everyone knows it is visible on-panel, completely independent of Doctor Robotnik. Shigaraki's disintegration propagation power can disintegrate an entire city full of people. Dabi has become what amounts to a living nuclear bomb. Twice was a human grey goo event in the making. There's ample evidence to support the idea that quirks are becoming so powerful that something catastrophic happening is functionally inevitable even outside of insane mad scientist experimentation or singular monsters like AfO.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is one of the original concepts for Deku if anyone hadn't seen it.

Anyway the third movie gets into the quirk singularity stuff too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The chapter is pretty clear that the technology isn't letting him fight on All For One's level. The expectation going in is that it will buy only a few moments at best.

All-Might can fight on that level because he is an absurdly talented battle-honed teacher using technology that replicates techniques he's already familiar with and even then a single misstep will get him killed. The point isn't "They made the strongest tech", the point is "All-Might, even without his powers, is an incredibly talented hero and can use that talent to punch way above his weight level for at least a short period of time."

That is part of what makes it cool. All Might isn't suddenly rocking All For One Power Armor Version, he's using something that by all rights should not be able to survive against AFO and he's pulling it off anyway because he's got the skills to back it up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 8, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Even AFO in Tartarus was vulnerable to GUN™. Don't know why All Might's going so over the top here.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ImpAtom posted:

The chapter is pretty clear that the technology isn't letting him fight on All For One's level. The expectation going in is that it will buy only a few moments at best.

All-Might can fight on that level because he is an absurdly talented battle-honed teacher using technology that replicates techniques he's already familiar with and even then a single misstep will get him killed. The point isn't "They made the strongest tech", the point is "All-Might, even without his powers, is an incredibly talented hero and can use that talent to punch way above his weight level for at least a short period of time."

That, and "All Might has an incredible amount of experience fighting his enemy, and his enemy is acting in a highly emotional and predictable manner."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

That last paragraph also led to another big question. People have been making quirkless-Deku fics for a long time on the basis that he could use gadgets and suits to help him and apparently that was considered the original concept. This pretty much supports the idea that not only could it have worked, but could have put him on par with the biggest fish in the pond.

Well, a big (possibly only) reason All Might is succeeding here is because he knows All For One so well and knows exactly how he's fighting. His entire super suit is custom designed to go against AFO.

Deku's a hero obsessive, but is he a villain obsessive? Would he have the interest or the resources to be able to custom-design support gear to take on every individual villain he fought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also All For One is behaving completely irrationally because he's being infected by Tomura's hatred, and is on a ticking clock himself. If this was pre-rewind OFA, or OFA when he first flipped rewind on (incidentally, he completely kicked the poo poo out of everyone when he did it) this would not be much of a fight.