Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I really am curious about how this fight will end. It seems like Gojo has to lose for the narrative to reasonably continue, but Gege obviously also knows that most people have that expectation. We've also been reading for three years or so now with Gojo trapped in the Prison Realm, so it's not like we haven't seen what becomes of the jujutsu world without his presence, and it would be kind of disappointing for the narrative to center on releasing him for so long only to have him die here, but I can't help but expect a last minute clutch win from Sukuna, either with an assist from Kenjaku or through some trickery. Maybe he had Mahoraga ready to adapt to that first Hollow Purple that opened the fight, so the adaptation will require one spin less than Gojo is anticipating?

That would kind of cheapen the thought that the Six Eyes lets Gojo intuit that sort of thing though, to be fair. Kenjaku swooping in to kill them both at the end of the fight is another possibility I can see happening. Or maybe Sukuna will just straight up win. You have to chuckle at his ego though -- he told Jogo to be proud of his strength as a curse and wasn't even harmed in that fight. Gojo has pushed him way farther and at greater strength than he's ever possessed and he's still talking down to him.

However it ends, it's been a really fun fight to watch unfold.

Also, I wonder what happened to Uraume after that 200% opener from Gojo. Sleeping it off, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tosk posted:

That would kind of cheapen the thought that the Six Eyes lets Gojo intuit that sort of thing though, to be fair. Kenjaku swooping in to kill them both at the end of the fight is another possibility I can see happening. Or maybe Sukuna will just straight up win. You have to chuckle at his ego though -- he told Jogo to be proud of his strength as a curse and wasn't even harmed in that fight. Gojo has pushed him way farther and at greater strength than he's ever possessed and he's still talking down to him.

I see his behavior in his speech to Jogo being the closest thing he can manage to pity. With Gojo, he’s poo poo-talking with an equal

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

maybe kenjaku wants to move his freaky brain over to the body of the loser of this fight

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Kenjaku is offscreen putting the murder on Uro or something

I don't think Kenjaku included Uraume in his ending-the-culling-game clause so they're also on his hit list lol

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Kenjaku is offscreen putting the murder on Uro or something

I don't think Kenjaku included Uraume in his ending-the-culling-game clause so they're also on his hit list lol

Kenjaku is watching the fight currently. After all the results will tell him what he has to do next.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
So they're not talking about black flash when they're mentioning critical hits? I hope not. I'd like to see Yuji's apparent adeptness with black flash to be a secret weapon against Sukuna/Kenjaku's utter mastery of curses. Just blow through them with grit and luck.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lamebot posted:

So they're not talking about black flash when they're mentioning critical hits? I hope not. I'd like to see Yuji's apparent adeptness with black flash to be a secret weapon against Sukuna/Kenjaku's utter mastery of curses. Just blow through them with grit and luck.

They are most definitely talking about black flash given it was Nanami talking about it. Remember, his record is something like 4 in a row and that was revealed when Yuji just started chaining them together beating that record. It's no surprise that Gojo can just do them whenever he wants because he's just built differently. If anything I'd assume Sukuna can also do black flashes casually as well since he's a genius when it comes to cursed energy and techniques.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kenjaku is watching the fight currently. After all the results will tell him what he has to do next.

He says he's going to be killing other players while everyone is watching the fight in chapter 222

yum fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 3, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

They are most definitely talking about black flash given it was Nanami talking about it. Remember, his record is something like 4 in a row and that was revealed when Yuji just started chaining them together beating that record. It's no surprise that Gojo can just do them whenever he wants because he's just built differently. If anything I'd assume Sukuna can also do black flashes casually as well since he's a genius when it comes to cursed energy and techniques.

My understanding is that Gojo is basically replicating the effects of Black Flash with his own cursed technique so that's why they talk about critical hits rather than Black Flash. We've always had a pretty clear visual tell in chapters before when Black Flash happened, and the story treated it as a thing, with the narration stopping to highlight that it was happening, so I doubt it was just being used willy-nilly even in this fight.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

My understanding is that Gojo is basically replicating the effects of Black Flash with his own cursed technique so that's why they talk about critical hits rather than Black Flash. We've always had a pretty clear visual tell in chapters before when Black Flash happened, and the story treated it as a thing, with the narration stopping to highlight that it was happening, so I doubt it was just being used willy-nilly even in this fight.

This is how I read it. Gojo’s energy probably just feels different, like Hakari’s and Kashimo’s

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

They are not talking about Black Flash.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That I'm fine with, but the only form of critical hit that Nanami, Yuji, and Gojo could all share in common barring the visual indication is black flash. Yuji has no other applications of cursed energy besides divergent fists. Nanami has a critical hit CT but there is no way he would "struggle" to land that given what we saw and what he's previously stated. The preceding page would support that this isn't black flash but Nanami is absolutely talking about his own capability to produce black flashes in that panel.

There's also no reason for me to assume Gojo or Sukuna cannot just spam black flash. Both are just too proficient for it not to be something easy to do. But they both have better tools to utilize at the end of the day.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A critical hit would include Black Flash but not *necessarily* be Black Flash, is what I'm getting at. For Nanami, that's how he hits a curse/jujutsu sorcerer critically, but Gojo doesn't need to resort to a fickle method like that because his cursed technique allows him to obtain a similar effect reliably. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The main takeaway is that Gojo hits absurdly hard thanks to using his technique and a light jab from him is equiv to the strongest hits Nanami can realistically do which is heavily demoralizing if you think on it for any amount of time hence him saying to not even compare yourself to Gojo.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
its stated that not a single sorcerer can use black flash at will in chapter 48. That includes Gojo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

yum posted:

its stated that not a single sorcerer can use black flash at will in chapter 48. That includes Gojo.

tbf there are a lot of "impossible" things that were stated earlier as not a thing which we have now been told/found out are a thing. I wouldn't put too much into the cultural guides to jujutsu sorcering given they were made by jerks and certainly were hiding things from others.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

A critical hit would include Black Flash but not *necessarily* be Black Flash, is what I'm getting at. For Nanami, that's how he hits a curse/jujutsu sorcerer critically, but Gojo doesn't need to resort to a fickle method like that because his cursed technique allows him to obtain a similar effect reliably. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

I was agreeing with you. It was just confusing to me because Nanami technically has two ways to critically hit someone since his 7:3 cursed technique would also fit the definition if he is talking about consistency. Gojo's Blue is similar in application.

yum posted:

As far as that chapter is concerned, Gojo is on the same side of the panel as Nanami. Gojo is also someone who has come to a greater understanding of his cursed energy although in his case it took being stabbed by Toji to really crystallize that into Hollow Purple.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Gojo isn’t the record holder for consecutive black flashes though (maybe cause hs fights don’t last long enough). I think there would be visual indications if he was performing them. I also interpreted it as Gojo’s normal punches are on par with Nanami’s cursed technique’s critical hits. Black flashes are a separate matter.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Kusakabe meant Gojo simply "contracts space" when he hits, he has no need for black flash. Nanami meant his CT was specifically creating a weak point in a structure, compared to Gojo activating one of the many features of his CT and hitting harder than his whole weak point technique. A whole CT devoted to do a fragment of what Gojo can do casually

Char fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 5, 2023

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
I think one of the reasons we haven’t seen black flash lately is because sorcerers at this level don’t need it.

Black flash works by applying CE to your physical attack right before the moment of impact. But why would you bother with that when you could just envelope your entire body in cursed energy 24-7 through reinforcement like what Yuji observed Yuta was doing. Doing it this way protects you from incoming attacks, makes your moves unpredictable, and it also makes all your attacks lethal if your opponent is unguarded. It’s a superior method of offense and defense.

Black flash also relies on martial prowess, so it’s suitable for sorcerers that emphasize physical attacks/athleticism without a large CE pool like Yuji, Todo, and Nanami. Mahito was specifically highlighted for his inexperience. Ryuu was noted to be skilled at reinforcement, and Hajime required reinforcement to utilize his CE trait - you can see that he covered himself in CE while fighting Hakari like a DBZ aura. Nobora is just a badass.

I really like the power system Gege designed. It’s so similar to HxH in the amount of thought put into it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

yum posted:

I think one of the reasons we haven’t seen black flash lately is because sorcerers at this level don’t need it.

Black flash works by applying CE to your physical attack right before the moment of impact. But why would you bother with that when you could just envelope your entire body in cursed energy 24-7 through reinforcement like what Yuji observed Yuta was doing. Doing it this way protects you from incoming attacks, makes your moves unpredictable, and it also makes all your attacks lethal if your opponent is unguarded. It’s a superior method of offense and defense.

Black flash also relies on martial prowess, so it’s suitable for sorcerers that emphasize physical attacks/athleticism without a large CE pool like Yuji, Todo, and Nanami. Mahito was specifically highlighted for his inexperience. Ryuu was noted to be skilled at reinforcement, and Hajime required reinforcement to utilize his CE trait - you can see that he covered himself in CE while fighting Hakari like a DBZ aura. Nobora is just a badass.

I really like the power system Gege designed. It’s so similar to HxH in the amount of thought put into it.

I like this interpretation. Gojo and Sukuna have a million other win conditions and they’re both currently turning their brains into mashed potatoes, so it makes sense for black flashes to take a backseat in this fight

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The anime thread is right before the start of the Shibuya arc and discussing how Gojo is too OP... :suspense:

At this point I'm not sure if I'm more excited to see Shibuya animated or just watch peoples heads explode in the thread.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gege's reputation for female representation is not going to survive this season with the anime-onlys.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least we'll always have Zoro.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

maybe she'll get a tearful goodbye and a confirmed bricking in the anime lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The anime will make her death even more ambiguous

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

yum posted:

Gojo and Sukuna may not need it for the damage, but it would put them both "in the zone". If anything, it's a statement to their power that they are pushing each other so far to the point of near death, but neither of them are feeling the zone.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
I don’t think Sukuna can even hit Gojo with black flash due to Limitless. He’s only able to touch him because of domain amplification.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

I don’t think Sukuna can even hit Gojo with black flash due to Limitless. He’s only able to touch him because of domain amplification.

Amplification only turns off Curse Technique, Black Flash is part of basic reinforcement.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Amplification only turns off Curse Technique, Black Flash is part of basic reinforcement.

I thought Black Flash is applying CE to your physical attack the moment before impact, meaning you wouldn’t be activating reinforcement until the last second. Yuji was wary of Yuta at their first meeting since he had reinforcement on 24-7 instead of only at key moments. I guess amplification is a domain technique but doesn’t that functionally coat you in CE anyways? This poo poo is confusing!!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
this is why being really good at jujutsu gives you brain damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yum posted:

I thought Black Flash is applying CE to your physical attack the moment before impact, meaning you wouldn’t be activating reinforcement until the last second. Yuji was wary of Yuta at their first meeting since he had reinforcement on 24-7 instead of only at key moments. I guess amplification is a domain technique but doesn’t that functionally coat you in CE anyways? This poo poo is confusing!!

Yeah, the main downside to JJK vs HxH is that HxH is far more comprehensible to me. HxH will straight-up show you diagrams and poo poo to make sure you understand. With JJK my understanding is far vaguer. For example, Reversed Cursed Technique is difficult and heals you. Why? What makes it "reversed," and why does that heal you? There are probably answers to these questions if I go back to some chapter where they're introduced, but I certainly couldn't answer them right now. But I could tell you all about the different nen types even though it's been years since I've read or watched HxH.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Reverse Cursed Energy would probably be a better term for it as Reverse Curse Technique is not actually a Curse Technique by the primary definition.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Curses damage you and are bad, so it is a technique that is a reverse-curse which is good.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the main downside to JJK vs HxH is that HxH is far more comprehensible to me. HxH will straight-up show you diagrams and poo poo to make sure you understand. With JJK my understanding is far vaguer. For example, Reversed Cursed Technique is difficult and heals you. Why? What makes it "reversed," and why does that heal you? There are probably answers to these questions if I go back to some chapter where they're introduced, but I certainly couldn't answer them right now. But I could tell you all about the different nen types even though it's been years since I've read or watched HxH.

Reverse cursed technique is positive energy and cursed energy is negative energy. Cursed energy is harmful by nature so can’t heal humans. That’s about it really , it’s not difficult . The only powers I ever found difficult to understand were the constellation one and the gambling one, the latter of which was clearly by design but can be summed up as “ if he hits the jackpot , he gets four minutes of immortality and can reset as many times as he wants”.

I love Hunter X Hunter but there is no way in hell you can tell me the abilities aren’t convoluted as hell and hard to follow , let alone figuring out the Nen types which seem obvious, but then Togashi released his Nen chart and now a lot of obvious picks make no sense anymore.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
The nen concepts retaining their Japanese names helps a lot to remember what they mean. The JJK translation quality can be iffy and inconsistent. To add to the confusion, there's also cursed technical reversal, which is applying reverse cursed energy, which is generated through reverse curse technique, to power your cursed technique

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asuron posted:

Reverse cursed technique is positive energy and cursed energy is negative energy. Cursed energy is harmful by nature so can’t heal humans. That’s about it really , it’s not difficult . The only powers I ever found difficult to understand were the constellation one and the gambling one, the latter of which was clearly by design but can be summed up as “ if he hits the jackpot , he gets four minutes of immortality and can reset as many times as he wants”.

I love Hunter X Hunter but there is no way in hell you can tell me the abilities aren’t convoluted as hell and hard to follow , let alone figuring out the Nen types which seem obvious, but then Togashi released his Nen chart and now a lot of obvious picks make no sense anymore.

They really are not that hard to follow. Like most Nen is straightforward as poo poo because Nen is based more around personality over strict rules except the rules they set themselves.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

The first issue is limited to really a few abilities across the whole series; if they aren't explained right when introduced their activation and execution conditions are fairly straightforward. The worst example in the recent series was Tserriednich's King Crimson inspired ability and it was only truly confusing to some readers for the first chapter it was introduced since the 2nd chapter gave us a literal diagram showing how the time shenaningans worked.

As for people not matching the categories people assumed, part of that is because a couple capabilities of some categories could imitate another. Biggest example would be Meruem being an emitter rather than a specialist. Since ability copying via absorbing aura was now made possible to us rather than strictly specialist ability theft. Or Knuckles being a conjurer which sank many a fan theory mine included but the series has either solidified these kind of reveals through recent characters, or fans just had to understand their assumptions about a character's main category was just wrong. Overall this is not the same type of issues we've been having with JJK.

Nobody is confused about how the basic functions of nen though. The closest equivalent to Black flash would be Ko in Nen and we had an entire training arc explaining how someone would achieve that. What else can or cannot be used is intuitive enough to not need further explanation. That's on top of the issues like translation as Yum mentions. A far more consistent problem with JJK over its run.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jjk’s official localization also seems extremely bad. worse than anything else in jump right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

jjk’s official localization also seems extremely bad. worse than anything else in jump right now

it really is. even beyond just accuracy, their word choice just always comes off as so incredibly stilted and lacking in weight.