Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Projectile vomit all over the breakfast table.

Achievement unlocked, I guess?

Av post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Confirmed we have entered the “questions about genitals” phase. He turned to me this morning and went “CHERRY DO YOU HAVE A PENIS???” (I am cis femme, I do not) So I got to explain that some people have VAGINAS.

His dad has very much a matter of fact, bodies are bodies, style. So we just tried to say hey people have different bodies and that’s okay! Just take care of your own body and let others take care of theirs. Tried to keep the gendered aspect out of it as much as possible.

Pre-k starts on Thursday let’s gooooooio

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The little one managed to count to three today :3:

this is an improvement from when she was counting her fingers a few weeks ago going "one" "one" "one" etc

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CherryCola posted:

Confirmed we have entered the “questions about genitals” phase. He turned to me this morning and went “CHERRY DO YOU HAVE A PENIS???” (I am cis femme, I do not) So I got to explain that some people have VAGINAS.

His dad has very much a matter of fact, bodies are bodies, style. So we just tried to say hey people have different bodies and that’s okay! Just take care of your own body and let others take care of theirs. Tried to keep the gendered aspect out of it as much as possible.

Pre-k starts on Thursday let’s gooooooio

One of the first things Mini Pony told one of our friends is "That grackle is a boy grackle! It has a penis!"

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

gbut posted:

My kid has been experiencing heavy coughing, probably drainage due to allergies. Multiple doctors recommended trying antihistamines and asthma inhaler to see if it helps. I hope it’s not some long Covid poo poo, as it roughly coincides with it.

She’s basically fine all day, but the moment she goes to sleep, she coughs. It’s breaking out hearts to see her struggle like that. It’s been going on for a few months with very little improvement.

Parenting is so loving hard when one feels helpless.

Oh hey, same over here. The only thing that ever actually seemed to have helped was a steroid based inhaler when the coughing was bad. Don't remember the drug off hand (phone posting), but it was fairly common. Biggest annoyance was having to use the breathing capsule thing, but even then wasn't bad.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’ve told my kid he has a penis when he asked but I don’t think he remembers.

He pointed at his weiner the other day and said “my poop”. He had a weird baby boner type event after getting out of the pool and the shower. I think because we always wipe him down when he poops he just thinks that’s the word.

Then I had the fun experience of waking in the morning by getting poked in the genitals while he said “wake up wake up is that poop”. Then he berates me until I put a shirt on. Lots of body shaming.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

unknown posted:

Oh hey, same over here. The only thing that ever actually seemed to have helped was a steroid based inhaler when the coughing was bad. Don't remember the drug off hand (phone posting), but it was fairly common. Biggest annoyance was having to use the breathing capsule thing, but even then wasn't bad.

My son had to use an Albuterol nebulizer at a couple points over the past year. It looks like a red fish!

I got my daughter in-line skates and she's doing great! She looks like a little roller derby champ, all pink and black skates and pads and helmet. Totally badass.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 7, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

One of the first things Mini Pony told one of our friends is "That grackle is a boy grackle! It has a penis!"

When baby anus was 1.5 or so, she understood that man have penises and was big on counting. Wife's sister came to visit around the time and brought her boyfriend who has the same first name as me. Sometime early into the visit: Names changed at random below:

Lil anus (excitedly): two (Daves), two penises!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Genital talk is somehow easier than voice talk and explaining why mom is still "a she" even though she sounds like a boy.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I dunno we're just making sure to use correct names for anatomy and try not to gender it too much, or to gender things in general. He's going to get enough of that from daycare and school later on.

We do know people who are not gendering their child at all until the kid starts expressing gender identity. Just they/them pronouns from birth. We're pretty in agreement with that ideologically, and it might be the right way to do things in a perfect world. But we're ok with a loose gender assignment at birth, while keeping an open mind.

But re: anatomy, my understanding is that it's pretty key to being able to have conversations about it later in life, as well as laying a foundation for consent culture. Plus it's an intrinsic level of resilience against sexual abuse. If a kid has the language to talk about it, they're a little more likely to resist an abuser (vs just being confused/manipulated), and a lot more likely to be able to tell other adults that it happened.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Like my kid is almost three and about the only gendered terms he uses are mommy and daddy. If he's talking about other kids or adults it's almost always "that kid" or "that person". I guess gendered pronouns too, but I don't think he makes a habit of assuming those.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kid wakes up early: no God let me have coffee in peace please

Kid sleeps in: oh poo poo are they okay I should check their temperature

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Kid horses around at bedtime until told "alright time for bed" and then just chills out and goes to sleep: oh god what reckoning is in store?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That was easy...

...TOO easy...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We made it past 3 years old before he figured out he can just... get out of the bed and open the door.

Now the video monitor is like a security camera in a horror film. No movement at all then suddenly "oh poo poo he's not on the screen" as you hear footsteps rapidly getting louder.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My kid is 6 months old today! We are on our first airplane trip with her, vacationing in Hawaii.

Some observations:
1. Every age is the best one.
2. My baby really likes people and excitement, which makes some parts of traveling better. It does not make 6 hours in an airplane great.
3. Women keep on talking to my husband while we are out with the baby. Less so men talking to me.
4. Really love her baby boat floaty with a canopy from Walmart, which we call her yacht.
5. We reserved screens to make travel easier, which someone in this thread recommended. Thank you. We watched Madagascar and Shrek and Boss Baby on the plane (with no sound) and it made things much easier.
6. Why are time zones? Ugh.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Shifty Pony posted:

We made it past 3 years old before he figured out he can just... get out of the bed and open the door.

Now the video monitor is like a security camera in a horror film. No movement at all then suddenly "oh poo poo he's not on the screen" as you hear footsteps rapidly getting louder.

CONTAINMENT BREACH! CONTAINMENT BREACH! NORTH SECTOR, MOVEMENT TOWARD THE EAGLE'S NEST

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Olanphonia posted:

CONTAINMENT BREACH! CONTAINMENT BREACH! NORTH SECTOR, MOVEMENT TOWARD THE EAGLE'S NEST

It's over

We've already lost

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
any experience with hand-foot-mouth? my little guy brought it home last week and we finally have a diagnosis! hooray!

My fingers and hands hurt.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just suffer through it. Not much to do.

The good news is for 99.999% of people other than the sores it's pretty harmless

Good luck

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 8, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

A Bad King posted:

any experience with hand-foot-mouth? my little guy brought it home last week and we finally have a diagnosis! hooray!

It sucks

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
It really does. Every fingertip feels like a needle. Why why why

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife got it so bad her face swole up and she got huge hives everywhere.

The rest of us just kinda passed it over.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

HFM sucks big time so good luck. I’m glad we avoided it this summer and instead merely got tonsillitis or something that, of course, caused a fever on my day off.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've got a cold and my toddler is a Velcro baby to me. Sooooo looking forward to dealing with my baby's first cold in a couple days. Hopefully having pneumonia in the NICU at birth won't have made her more susceptible to complications

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

A Bad King posted:

Hfm was the highest fever I’ve ever had. It may be worth keeping an eye on temperatures so you guys don’t run into dangerous territory. Luckily once I clued into it, paracetamol plus ibuprofen were able to bring it down really well.

The sores hurt like a M-F but at least it was only for a couple of days.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blinkz0rz posted:

loving THANK YOU. I enjoy playing Minecraft with my kid and I'm into the technical bits but man my kid just won't. stop. talking. about. it.

"Dad, can I tell you something?"
"What's up bud?"
"Let me tell you the coolest glitches in Minecraft"
"... :ughh: "

I hate minecraft so much, even more I hate those stupid minecraft videos on youtube. They also drive my so insane, she hates hearing those voices so much now. It's a real piece of conflict in our household. We really loving hate most of youtube and tiktok too after seeing all the insipid vapid poo poo the kids manage to dredge up, just the worst crap. TikTok that's totally banned now. I'll burn down our house before allowing tiktok.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our kids have never seen Tik Tok and Youtube is banned other than watching videos of trains driving by or if a parent is controlling it to watch something specific.

Minecraft is better than the dregs that is Roblox. My kid seems to be out of his Minecraft/Roblox/Fortnight phaase for now.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I love YouTube as a concept but I haven't been able to convince my 7 year old to watch PhilosophyTube so we're stuck with grown men squealing at Minecraft until I can twist his little brain onto something new

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

G-Spot Run posted:

I love YouTube as a concept but I haven't been able to convince my 7 year old to watch PhilosophyTube so we're stuck with grown men squealing at Minecraft until I can twist his little brain onto something new

I saw the words "Minecraft" and "youtube philosophy" and did the monkey brain neuron activation thing to recall this series I once stumbled across a decade ago and haven't thought about since.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=krnEv2zt1p4&feature=sharea

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like my 3.5 year old son is constantly angry at home. Always upset at something, always upset that he’s not eating a popsicle or watching TV or outside riding bikes (it’s 95 degrees in humid Florida where it feels like 108).

He’s apparently very happy in daycare so I’m just wondering if we’re doing something wrong at home. I feel like we do our best to interact and play with him but he’s always just angry compared to his twin sister.

I guess it’s just a phase but it’s been very frustrating having a screaming toddler for much of the day for the past few weeks

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Tempting to open a Uline account to buy large cardboard boxes for the kid to play in.

Seriously, forgot how much fun for him it is to suddenly have a new playhouse to play in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like my 3.5 year old son is constantly angry at home. Always upset at something, always upset that he’s not eating a popsicle or watching TV or outside riding bikes (it’s 95 degrees in humid Florida where it feels like 108).

Does his mood improve if you let him do the things he wants to do

If I had to play Barbies inside all day, no tv and had to choke down broccoli and cauliflower I'd be in a rotten mood too, just saying. 3.5yo is like peak "go splash around in the creek by the park and wreck poo poo" age

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mind_Taker posted:

He’s apparently very happy in daycare so I’m just wondering if we’re doing something wrong at home. I feel like we do our best to interact and play with him but he’s always just angry compared to his twin sister.

I guess it’s just a phase but it’s been very frustrating having a screaming toddler for much of the day for the past few weeks

Our 3.5 goes through similar phases. I’ve been told that tantrums at home are great because it shows they trust you enough to let out all the big feelings (unlike daycare) but ehhh that’s not very reassuring in the moment.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hello Parenting Thread, I come to you for help!

My son (who is on the spectrum) decided at 4 and 1/2 that he wanted to learn the name of all 50 states, where they are and what their capital is. I have started working on a "50 States" collection of T-shirts for him, but what I'm looking for is someone in that state to find a shirt and send it to me (with obvious reimbursement). A few states that I think will be problematic are:
Montana
Wyoming
North / South Dakota
Rhode Island

Of these 5 Rhode Island is my sons FAVORITE state, is there anyone from Rhode Island or lives close enough to Rhode Island that they could pick up a 4t / 5t / XS shirt for me?

EDIT: You also get a video of my son wearing your shirt, telling you your states capital and then saying thank you "your name"

EDIT: So far we have: Oregon, Texas, Maryland, Ohio and Florida, and I have Colorado, California, Washington DC, Idaho and Arkansas on the way!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 8, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Does his mood improve if you let him do the things he wants to do

If I had to play Barbies inside all day, no tv and had to choke down broccoli and cauliflower I'd be in a rotten mood too, just saying. 3.5yo is like peak "go splash around in the creek by the park and wreck poo poo" age

Yes he’s just not as patient or willing to move onto new things as his sister so it stands in stark contrast how angry he gets.

It’s just annoying right now with the summer heat and thunderstorms in Florida. I’d love to just be able to let them run wild outside but after 5 minutes they’re drenched in sweat and they want to come in. I do my best to take them to indoor places like the kids museum and the trampoline park but my daughter is a runner so when I’m on my own it’s often tough for me to watch the both of them.

It also stinks because their daycare was closed for the past 10 days to get ready for the fall session and VPK, so I’ve had to take off work to watch some very grumpy kids.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

SalTheBard posted:

My son (who is on the spectrum) decided at 4 and 1/2 that he wanted to learn the name of all 50 states, where they are and what their capital is. I have started working on a "50 States" collection of T-shirts for him, but what I'm looking for is someone in that state to find a shirt and send it to me (with obvious reimbursement). A few states that I think will be problematic are:
Montana
Wyoming
North / South Dakota
Rhode Island

Of these 5 Rhode Island is my sons FAVORITE state, is there anyone from Rhode Island or lives close enough to Rhode Island that they could pick up a 4t / 5t / XS shirt for me?

EDIT: You also get a video of my son wearing your shirt, telling you your states capital and then saying thank you "your name"

EDIT: So far we have: Oregon, Texas, Maryland, Ohio and Florida, and I have Colorado, California, Washington DC, Idaho and Arkansas on the way!

:kimchi:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mind_Taker posted:

I’m not here to litigate on a specific thing a kid does, but for my 3.5 y/o once we were 3 days into “no TV summer” he was like a different kid. Found new ways to entertain himself, stopped with “I’m bored. I don’t know what to do.”, the obvious “when can we watch TV”, and just overall was much happier throughout the whole day.

We broke the rule for a couple challenging days and it’s like watching the TV suck out his brain and ruin his mood the moment the program ends.

When we took it away we really just wanted him to stop having meltdowns when a show ended. I didn’t think it was going to improve his demeanor and emotional control across-the-board.

My example isn’t to say “take away TV”, but I wonder if there is a specific activity of trigger at home that just gets him in that upset mood or stirs something up. From the other end maybe you could try to replicate some of the things from daycare?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Like my kid is almost three and about the only gendered terms he uses are mommy and daddy. If he's talking about other kids or adults it's almost always "that kid" or "that person". I guess gendered pronouns too, but I don't think he makes a habit of assuming those.

My very fluent kid refers to everyone else as “that human.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

Montana
Wyoming
North / South Dakota
Rhode Island

Delaware is the superior small state.

Why oh why, did I have to mention this morning that our daughter hadn't been sick in awhile. She had a very slight fever before going to bed.