Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLeTvSaPJIs

While I was drinking coffee, I came across this awesome video about design considerations when designing functional/load-bearing parts. I don't know who this guy is but I found it to be very informative and probably reliable enough advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Cory Parsnipson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLeTvSaPJIs

While I was drinking coffee, I came across this awesome video about design considerations when designing functional/load-bearing parts. I don't know who this guy is but I found it to be very informative and probably reliable enough advice.

Slant3d is worth paying attention to. I get some vaguely icky signals from some of what he/they post, but that might be more the business owner thing leaking out than any actual terrible human being stuff coming out. Their willing to put out ~real~ information on print farm stuff is something that needs to be out there. And usually doens't come in doses of less than 90 minutes of rambling weirdo.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Listen: literally yesterday I was in a nerd store buying filament (got 3 spools! white, black and sparkly purple!) and as I was walking out, a customer asked me if I was planning to resell that (wtf) - I suspect this happened because I'm a lady in a floral print dress with a cute purse, and it seemed to surprise him that I had a printer.

I am the target audience for Cinderwing and I am about to print so many cute dragons and turtles omg omg omg!!!!!!!

You are in for a treat! A lot of her stuff looks really, really good with the filament that changes colors throughout the roll. I forgot the 3d printing name, but the analog in stitch craft is variegated yarn. The rose dragons are especially fun for valentines day, and I did a bunch of the rock/crystal dragons in black/red/gold filament and they came out really nice!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

Still on my hunt for what my next main resin printer will be and I'm kind of annoyed at all the big manufacturers right now.

Has anyone actuslly tried the new ACP film here? It seems like all the new speed claims basically boil down to just using that and high-res breakable resin printing at 0.2sec a layer

Like I guess the move is to just buy a saturn 3, but an after-market vat heater on it, and continue printing the nice stuff I've been printing. Maybe there's room for fast/bad resin with ACP film for big terrain piecesthiugh?

This industry is getting really dumb with how it chases numbers

Have you thought about buying an older larger printer for doing terrain stuff specifically? Who cares if it's a 2K machine if you're doing large pieces with it, it'll be miles ahead of the FDM stuff and you can price accordingly.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Here's the head frame for the atomic force microscope that I mentioned up thread. The holes printed out within .002 diameter, so I didn't even have to redrill them before tapping. All the other dimensions were within .003 globally too. I generated the supports on the outside, since it was a cosmetic surface and I would have to sand it anyways.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You are in for a treat! A lot of her stuff looks really, really good with the filament that changes colors throughout the roll. I forgot the 3d printing name, but the analog in stitch craft is variegated yarn. The rose dragons are especially fun for valentines day, and I did a bunch of the rock/crystal dragons in black/red/gold filament and they came out really nice!

For a fun hours long project, paint the crystal dragon mmu style and print the crystals in see through color filament.

Apparently it's been a popular seller.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

Nerobro posted:

Slant3d is worth paying attention to.

They definitely have an interesting outlook on adjusting design to not only be easy to print but to also adjusting the design to take advantage of characteristics of the 3d printing process. They also seem to have a good deal of content about design and design considerations for 3d printed parts/products which is always an interesting topic (and relevant to this thread).
Through I would say though that some of their stuff feels like they're leaning a bit too much into 3d printed design and designs that can only be 3d printed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcgsQyMSSiY for example feels like it's kinda missing the larger concerns of stuff like maintenance, cleaning, and somewhat performance over just having a single 3d printed part that does 'everything'.

At the end of the day, I get that they've got a big print farm and looking for ways to 3d print stuff instead of any traditional manufacturing method is effectively critical to their business, so I get why basically all of their context has some element of promoting 3d printing as the best option for scale manufacturing of parts.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
What's the thread opinion on activated carbon filters (or others) and FDM printing?

My printer lives in the living room and is currently unenclosed. Print exclusively PLA for the time being.

Do people worry about this? What about PETG?

Obviously enclosing it and having a filter won't be worse for the air quality. Do air purifiers help any?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I guess it might be a matter of personal preference. The smell of ABS never bothered me, even with my printer a few feet from my desk. PLA just sort of smelled like pancakes to me.

i think with resin printers it's more of an issue bc of the more dangerous materials the the smell is a lot more noticeable.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Rad-daddio posted:

I guess it might be a matter of personal preference. The smell of ABS never bothered me, even with my printer a few feet from my desk. PLA just sort of smelled like pancakes to me.

It’s not “personal preference”. The reason to get fume extraction is not “it smells bad”. It’s “the styrenes in ABS and other plastics are known carcinogens.”

PLA and PETG supposedly gives off VOCs of less dangerous varieties (and given their chemical makeup it does make sense) but they still generate a lot of ultrafine crap that,while not immediately harmful, is of rather unknown long term health impact.

I try not to spend a ton of time in my print room while they’re running unless they’re enclosed and filtered. (Another reason I really like the Bambu P1S.)

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

tracecomplete posted:

It’s not “personal preference”. The reason to get fume extraction is not “it smells bad”. It’s “the styrenes in ABS and other plastics are known carcinogens.”

PLA and PETG supposedly gives off VOCs of less dangerous varieties (and given their chemical makeup it does make sense) but they still generate a lot of ultrafine crap that,while not immediately harmful, is of rather unknown long term health impact.

I try not to spend a ton of time in my print room while they’re running unless they’re enclosed and filtered. (Another reason I really like the Bambu P1S.)

Eh, it's way less dangerous than whatever else I'm exposed to on a daily basis. Me and my brain tumors will take our chances.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Newsman posted:

What's the thread opinion on activated carbon filters (or others) and FDM printing?

My printer lives in the living room and is currently unenclosed. Print exclusively PLA for the time being.

Do people worry about this? What about PETG?

Obviously enclosing it and having a filter won't be worse for the air quality. Do air purifiers help any?

I think that they could be helpful, but depending on the type of filter it has to be set up correctly to work. A small filter just hanging out in the room with a printer is not going to capture a lot of the print fumes as those will expand and fill the room and the filter has limited suction. To make the filter work better you need to contain the fumes, in some sort of enclosure, and port it to the filter. That being said, for the price of a filter you can get a small grow tent which works fine for resin printers, not sure how well it would work for FDM though. An enclosure purpose made for FDM would be more expensive, but likely you would not need the filter, especially if you are doing just PLA. It would have the benefit of reducing noise as well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ComradeBigT posted:

They definitely have an interesting outlook on adjusting design to not only be easy to print but to also adjusting the design to take advantage of characteristics of the 3d printing process. They also seem to have a good deal of content about design and design considerations for 3d printed parts/products which is always an interesting topic (and relevant to this thread).

The 3d printing hobby is absolutely rife with 3d models that have zero thought put into design for manufacture. And even more that have zero thought into how 3d printing lets them make objects that are .. not possible with conventional processes.

Often the best lessons come from sources that are.. well you need to weed through them a bit. Heck, our favorite Andrew Ellis tuning guide was a "voron only" thing. Yeah, they lean hard on 3dp for production, but the same tips that make 3dp production parts good, also make parts for the ameatur good too.

Also, things like "skeletonizing your parts not helping" is a lesson we need beat into designers with a baseball bat.

Mr Newsman posted:

*snip*

I have a nevermore in my V0. It was the first accessory I printed for it. PLA is generally fine to be around, but having anything to stop drafts will make your printing life much simpler.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Nerobro posted:

The 3d printing hobby is absolutely rife with 3d models that have zero thought put into design for manufacture. And even more that have zero thought into how 3d printing lets them make objects that are .. not possible with conventional processes.

Also, things like "skeletonizing your parts not helping" is a lesson we need beat into designers with a baseball bat.

We take it for granted, but just the ability to make hollow parts with infill is a superpower that conventional manufacturers would kill for.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Something that's frustrating me: my printer's v-rollers keep developing flat spots.
My printer is very much a hobby tool to me, so I tend to cycle through using it a lot and not touching it for a month. Every time I leave it for a long period, I come back to it with flat spots where the v-rollers were resting.
I assumed I was just over-tightening them, but this time I made sure to be very careful and tighten them just enough to be snug without wobbling. But nope, I checked the printer today and the flat spots are obvious.

Am I missing something, or is my only option to loosen them every time I take a break from printing?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Slant3d has some good design ideas that are worth learning from. Also he's a business man who sells 3d models and says open source has never been effective and that 3d models are going to benefit from NFTs in the year 2023.

imo make note of his insights to the specifics of 3d printing design but be ready to sever at a moments notice when he pulls some head rear end poo poo

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

BMan posted:

We take it for granted, but just the ability to make hollow parts with infill is a superpower that conventional manufacturers would kill for.

Roto molding is really neat. So is slushcasting. But neither really lend themselves to high volume production.

Serenade posted:

Slant3d has some good design ideas that are worth learning from. Also he's a business man who sells 3d models and says open source has never been effective and that 3d models are going to benefit from NFTs in the year 2023.

imo make note of his insights to the specifics of 3d printing design but be ready to sever at a moments notice when he pulls some head rear end poo poo

I think, if I dug through his videos, I can already find kissing one's own colon moments. They seem to be "right on the edge" of covid denial. But.. they are also the manufacturer for the 3d printed cast thing... Take some, lose some?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Nerobro posted:

The second baseball bat is named "Stop Using Fillets On The Z Axis, You Hack Freak".

So many good models basically fail in the first 10mm because the fillets from the bed to the walls get trashed and you can't even really fix them with supports. You might as well remake the loving thing. Just use chamfers you weirdos.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Thanks for the discussion.

I figured PLA is probably safe enough and that my living room is probably drafty enough but I'm happy to take whatever (reasonable) precautions since my family uses the room.

I was probably going to pull the trigger on a Bambu and one of the minor benefits is it has the enclosure and some sort of filtering already in place.

And it would look nicer than whatever enclosure I'd make.

Edit: also I was curious how long activated carbon filters last. A few days? A couple of weeks?

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 4, 2023

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Serenade posted:

Slant3d has some good design ideas that are worth learning from.
Yeah like on one hand it's cool to see someone talk about properly designing stuff for 3d printing
But also he seems to really stretch it in some videos, like that 'impossible vents' video went from interesting tips to total nonsense in like 3 examples (He started with "this is why you don't want a grid of holes" then ended with "and this is how you can get really weird with a grid of holes")

and yeah his takes are pretty yikes

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Mr Newsman posted:

Thanks for the discussion.*snip*

And it would look nicer than whatever enclosure I'd make.

Edit: also I was curious how long activated carbon filters last. A few days? A couple of weeks?

I get a few weeks from the filter in my V0. But that's a "different case". It re-filters a very tiny volume of air, so.. even when it's not working well, it works really well.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Nerobro posted:

tracecomplete posted:

The second baseball bat is named "Stop Using Fillets On The Z Axis, You Hack Freak".

So many good models basically fail in the first 10mm because the fillets from the bed to the walls get trashed and you can't even really fix them with supports. You might as well remake the loving thing. Just use chamfers you weirdos.
Is there a good resource for laypeople on these kind of design considerations? I would love to do some light-duty structural modeling. (Non-video resources would be incredible, but I shouldn't get too picky obv.)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

handle posted:

Is there a good resource for laypeople on these kind of design considerations? I would love to do some light-duty structural modeling. (Non-video resources would be incredible, but I shouldn't get too picky obv.)

https://www.billieruben.info/post/my-3d-printing-posters-1 Her posters are some of the best. She's got one that covers most of the rules for design. Also.. she's got one for.. well most 3dp needs.

The rest? I mean, there's not a lot, so it's shocking how bad people do them. Don't print over air. Keep overhangs less than 45deg if you can. Design a part with a print orientation in mind. (If I am guessing how to print a part, you f'n failed.) Keep in mind it's stacked layers. Think carefully if you REALLLY need to have a bridge there.

Wait... I've got another good resource. The voron design rules. But i'm looking for a copy to share here.

While digging that up, I found this:

https://www.hydraresearch3d.com/design-rules

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Heck yes, thank you, this is good stuff!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Pardon the messy desk area (I do a lot of model work right on my keyboard tray, hence the self-healing mat) and the poo poo picture in general... but this is Toymakr3D's Optimus Prime model at 150% scale. Stands about 30cm tall. The picture file name is "Floptimus Prime" because all of the ball joints are a little loose, I need to learn how to adjust tolerances in Orca Slicer, but regardless of that it was a fun print and build. I was never even hugely into Transformers, but these models are really well done and I'm going to do a bunch more.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Regarding bambu and the chamber fan:

The pip has none, you can make something called a bento box if you enclose it

The x1c has one built in, and a chamber temp sensor, but I can't speak to it's exact use, because

The p1s, which I have, is an enclosed P1P with x1c upgrades, and it has a carbon filter fan. The filter is enclosed, so when it runs out bambu wants you to buy one from them. Just print an openable one and fill it with media.

Also no temp sensor, so the fan is controlled by gcode only at the start and end of printing. For some reason, pla has it come on at various speeds depending on your initial bed temp, and 100% is LOUD AS gently caress. Also ASA / ABS has no suck provided code in the default profile, so I just added the gcode to have it run 50% start to finish. I did not notice the usual fumes otherwise and the p1S is not THAT well sealed

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Acid Reflux posted:

Pardon the messy desk area (I do a lot of model work right on my keyboard tray, hence the self-healing mat) and the poo poo picture in general... but this is Toymakr3D's Optimus Prime model at 150% scale. Stands about 30cm tall. The picture file name is "Floptimus Prime" because all of the ball joints are a little loose, I need to learn how to adjust tolerances in Orca Slicer, but regardless of that it was a fun print and build. I was never even hugely into Transformers, but these models are really well done and I'm going to do a bunch more.

That looks great! I did the Bumblebee car and robot models the other day. For robot mode I definitely had to shave a tiny bit of plastic from some of those joints

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Rad-daddio posted:

At the moment I’ve been forced to print in my bedroom, and my chosen brand of PLA+ irritates my throat/the back of my nasal passages.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I really don't notice much of an odor from printing pla or petg but I run a lil HEPA filter anyway, seems to do the trick.

you absolutely do not want to run ABS in the same room as you without a filter or something. styrene VOCs are genuinely actually dangerous. relatively small doses are fine but if you're sitting around in it that's a bad plan. if you can smell it, you're exposed to it.

I don't know who wants to sit around in ABS stink all day anyway but apparently people do that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
PLA is definitely fine because I have it next to my desk. I think it only really gives off anything a little bit during the initial heat up. Source: I have an EXTREMELY sensitive olfactory/throat/lung situation so I would get immediately noticeably hosed up by it otherwise.

When I got the printer my friend gave me a few rolls and one of them unknowingly to me (just samples on generic rolls) ABS and I just immediately reacted and threw it out lol

Is PLA+ or any of the other materials as safe with this as PLA?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Neo Rasa posted:

PLA+ is PLA with other additives so it’s going to be entirely dependent on what the + is made up of I guess.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The problem with “PLA+” Is that it doesn’t mean anything. PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, those are all names of specific polymers. PLA+ is just a marketing term. Without a data sheet telling you specific properties of a specific manufacturer’s PLA+, assume it’s their normal PLA but more expensive.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Keep in mind even filament marketed as PLA has additives that differ per manufacturer. There is no one standard for filament.

Also funny that PLA is typically the cheapest since I think it's the only one still under patent?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Pla is technically biodegradable and plant based. Exact for all the additives and colors added to it.

We did it for years with open bed slingers because whatever was in the air was much much less peers per million to the room itself.

ABS (and ASA) is absolutely debatable to me with the printer sitting next to me, but I invested a lot in chamber filters , etc. ABS gives me a headache( and likely cancer) in small quantity so I am sensitive to how well my solutions are working

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Here4DaGangBang posted:

At the moment I’ve been forced to print in my bedroom, and my chosen brand of PLA+ irritates my throat/the back of my nasal passages.

Yeah it's probably that I'm just desensitized to the smell of filament and resin. Aside from it apparently being legit dangerous a lot of people are bothered by the smell of them.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Roundboy posted:

Pla is technically biodegradable and plant based. Exact for all the additives and colors added to it.

Very heavy technically there. It's not going to break down in our lifetime outside of a commercial composting operation.

Just like the recycling symbol, it was some great propaganda from the manufacturers.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Oh 100% correct. I have some abs that is supposedly eco friendly and does off gas slightly less, but I am under no illusions every benchy I print will be enjoyed by my childrens children and after

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, resin printing really gives you so much detail. Sharp corners, flat texture-less surfaces, nearly exact dimensions.

Now to try printing large flat surfaces and see how quickly my tune changes.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
New firmware release for P1P/P1S:

https://twitter.com/BambulabGlobal/status/1688491998981009408

I was definitely thinking about this the other day:

quote:

Canceled the secondary menu for the light switch control. Now, selecting the menu item will turn the light on or off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
If anyone needs 4 gallons of IPA/Isopropyl Alcohol this stuff seems legit. I didn't quite realize how big the Mercury XS is, takes just over 2 gallons if you want it full height and I got 2 bins for a dirty & clean wash. Not sure I'm ever going to need to fill them up completely, but IPA doesn't really go bad anyway, just takes on water if opened.

https://a.co/d/hCD0Jn9

Does anyone use anything to dry your prints after washing? Compressed air? I made the mistake of thinking 5 minutes was enough, and hooo boy it wasn't.