Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dead Country (Craft Wars #1) by Max Gladstone - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3762QDG/

Devices and Desires (Engineer #1) by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002B9MHPY/

The Investigation by Stanislaw Lem - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R2K8VO/

Into the Narrowdark (Last King of Osten Ard #3) by Tad Williams - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JBCZ7VW/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

^burtle posted:

Is this Court of Thorns and Roses just Twilight or is there something to it?

Ehhh. It's better than Twilight but that's not a high bar to clear.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

Ehhh. It's better than Twilight but that's not a high bar to clear.

Twilight becomes much more interesting to me once you grasp that the relationship between Edward Cullen and Bella Swan in the first book is basically the same as the relationship between Arthur Dent and the talking cow in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

pradmer posted:

Dead Country (Craft Wars #1) by Max Gladstone - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3762QDG/

If you liked Gladstone's other stuff this is a slam dunk

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jimbozig posted:

Anyway, my initial reaction to Too Like The Lightning and Seven Surrenders:
I'll check back in after I've read the next two books, I guess!

Oh man, I hope you do. Those books ask a lot of the reader, in terms of buying in to this grand, weird, detailed world, but they really reward this sort of interrogation.

Also I read Light Bringer. I liked it! Not quite as BIG as Dark Age, but I don't know if I could have taken two of those in a row. It was nice to slow down and spend some time with Darrow & co. as they piece themselves back together. Ted Faro's an angel next to Lysander.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kazzah posted:

Oh man, I hope you do. Those books ask a lot of the reader, in terms of buying in to this grand, weird, detailed world, but they really reward this sort of interrogation.

Also I read Light Bringer. I liked it! Not quite as BIG as Dark Age, but I don't know if I could have taken two of those in a row. It was nice to slow down and spend some time with Darrow & co. as they piece themselves back together. Ted Faro's an angel next to Lysander.

Lysander strikes me as being basically a mushroom. He soaks up the "flavors" of those around him. If he's around evil pieces of poo poo, he becomes more of an evil piece of poo poo as they all talk him (and he talks himself) into doing worse and worse things for "the greater good." After Dark Age I had this weird theory/wish that somehow Lyria would end up being around him and help him pull his head out of his rear end. I doubt it'll actually happen.

monochromagic
Jun 17, 2023

So, I'm almost finished with The Poppy War trilogy and wow I was not the intended audience for those books. While parts of the books were very interesting (first book in particular), I just cannot stomach the whole grimdark violence thing they've got going on. It's too bad because the reviews are almost all stellar and I kind of feel like I must have read a whole different book.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

monochromagic posted:

So, I'm almost finished with The Poppy War trilogy and wow I was not the intended audience for those books. While parts of the books were very interesting (first book in particular), I just cannot stomach the whole grimdark violence thing they've got going on. It's too bad because the reviews are almost all stellar and I kind of feel like I must have read a whole different book.

Should have asked this thread! I feel like the consensus here is more along your assessment (book one ok, incredibly diminishing returns, feels like author is trying to punish the reader [and possibly herself?)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
What are some good fictional reference books? No real plot to speak of, just world-building in guidebook/textbook format. Along the lines of Gnomes or Brian Froud's Faeries but I'm hoping for something of a darker fantasy-horror or alien theme. Something like Vermis I would work too, but I'm not sure what to even call that. Fictional strategy guide?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I recall Dune Encyclopedia being an interesting read back in the day.

Also, it sounds like you might want to get into tabletop RPG sourcebooks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SkeletonHero posted:

What are some good fictional reference books? No real plot to speak of, just world-building in guidebook/textbook format. Along the lines of Gnomes or Brian Froud's Faeries but I'm hoping for something of a darker fantasy-horror or alien theme. Something like Vermis I would work too, but I'm not sure what to even call that. Fictional strategy guide?

The Transgalactic Guide to Solar System M-17 by Jeff Rovin is exactly this but for sci-fi and I wish there was more like it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SkeletonHero posted:

Codex Seraphinianus :v:

(as long as you don't want to read it)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

SkeletonHero posted:

What are some good fictional reference books? No real plot to speak of, just world-building in guidebook/textbook format.

go read “tlon uqbar, orbis Tertius” by Borges, right now!!! Go!!!! (It’s a short story)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

You might get some milage out of tabletop RPG books. Lots of them can be pretty good reading even if you don't care about the rules. I don't have any specific recommendations for the subgenres you want, but you could probably ask in the TTRPG forum general chat thread and get some ideas.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The Guide to Glorantha.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
A few years ago I would have recommended some Tékumel stuff but, well, dude turned out to be a nazi. Not like "fascist rear end in a top hat" nazi, which covers a lot of people, but "decade on the advisory committee of a holocaust denial journal" nazi.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Tough Guide to Fantasyland? Not horror, though.

e: Also,

buffalo all day posted:

go read “tlon uqbar, orbis Tertius” by Borges, right now!!! Go!!!! (It’s a short story)
This. So much.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 8, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I was coming to recommend The Tough Guide to Fantasyland too. Or Dictionary of the Khazars, although that's magical realism, not horror.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A few years ago I would have recommended some Tékumel stuff but, well, dude turned out to be a nazi. Not like "fascist rear end in a top hat" nazi, which covers a lot of people, but "decade on the advisory committee of a holocaust denial journal" nazi.

Motherfucker, not another one!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SkeletonHero posted:

Peter Dickinson's The Flight of Dragons is a wild and creepy rear end reference book explaining, with science!, how dragon myths are all true actually.

Haystack posted:

You might get some milage out of tabletop RPG books. Lots of them can be pretty good reading even if you don't care about the rules. I don't have any specific recommendations for the subgenres you want, but you could probably ask in the TTRPG forum general chat thread and get some ideas.

Yeah, I was thinking along these lines as well, but I don't have any solid recommendations for the specific genres OP is asking for.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

The Faction Paradox Book of The War

For TRPG stuff that's heavy on the world building/light on game play mechanics in the source books you might enjoy:

Delta Green (especially Countdown, Targets of Opportunity and The Labyrinth)
Unknown Armies (especially 2nd edition's Reveal)
The Dying Earth RPG's Scaum Valley Gazetteer
If you can get The Invisible Sun collection on stiff discount (or sail the seven seas)
Worlds Without Number RPG's The Atlas of the Latter Earth
The City of Lies Boxset by Greg Stolze

edit: I forgot Warhammer 40k has a bunch of these coming out of the Black Library

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 8, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

One of my favorite authors, Lilith Saintcrow, has released the final book of a fantasy duology y'all might be interested in:

quote:

American Gods vs. Baba Yaga in this contemporary fantasy: Spring's Arcana, by New York Times bestseller Lilith Saintcrow.

Nat Drozdova is desperate to save a life. Doctors can do little for her cancer-ridden mother, who insists there is only one cure—and that Nat must visit a skyscraper in Manhattan to get it.

Amid a snow-locked city, inside a sleek glass-walled office, Nat makes her plea and is whisked into a terrifying new world. For the skyscraper holds a hungry winter goddess who has the power to cure her mother…if Nat finds a stolen object of great power.

Now Nat must travel with a razor-wielding assassin across an American continent brimming with terror, wonder, and hungry divinities with every reason to consume a young woman. For her ailing mother is indeed suffering no ordinary illness, and Nat Drozdova is no ordinary girl. Blood calls to blood, magic to magic, and a daughter may indeed save what she loves...

…if it doesn’t consume her first.

This is the way to the Dead God’s Heart.

https://us.macmillan.com/series/thedeadgodsheart

I haven't picked up either yet as I'm busy with her backlog, but I can always trust her to write cool fight scenes, worldbuilding, and traumatized heroes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials?

It's a collection of info on known* alien species

*Fictional, such as the Thing or a Puppeteer, but presented as factual iirc

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Peter Dickinson's The Flight of Dragons is a wild and creepy rear end reference book explaining, with science!, how dragon myths are all true actually.

Along those lines, how about Pamela Wharton Blanpied's Dragons: The Modern Infestation?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Everyone posted:

Twilight becomes much more interesting to me once you grasp that the relationship between Edward Cullen and Bella Swan in the first book is basically the same as the relationship between Arthur Dent and the talking cow in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

This is really funny, thank you

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

StrixNebulosa posted:

Motherfucker, not another one!

We only found out after he had become a good Nazi.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Groke posted:

We only found out after he had become a good Nazi.

No such thing!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Guide to Glorantha.

Absolutely this. If you want something that is just an insanely detailed look at a fictional world, the Guide to Glorantha is your ticket. It’s ostensibly an RPG book, but there’s no actual rules in it, because Glorantha is notorious as a setting that is so deep and so weird that you need to do Actual Research to play it correctly.

And if the Guide doesn’t satisfy your craving, there’s tens of thousands of additional pages by Greg Stafford et al, going into the minutest details of life in an absolutely bizarre and fascinating world that is grounded in the mythopoetic insights of - and I do not say this lightly - one of the great minds of our time. Stafford was a genius and it’s a goddamn shame more people haven’t read his stuff.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I read The Library at Mount Char on the recommendation of this thread. Didn't like it. I guess on some level it is a me problem, anything with a lot of child abuse and murder is going to put me off. The wild tonal shifts were also offputting. There'd be this really dark poo poo like what I spoilered out and then some silly goofy lore on the level of like, Hitchiker's Guide or something. I also though the protagonists were not that well characterized, especially the main one (already forgot her name!). I think the whole story would have been better told completely from the perspective of the war veteran character, who was the most well developed out of any of them. This hardnosed detective up against the weirdest poo poo he's ever seen would make for a more compelling story.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Benagain posted:

If you liked Gladstone's other stuff this is a slam dunk

What about if you've never read him before? Is it a decent start?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, but only because it’s the first book in the second major arc of his Craft series. You’ll want to start with Three Parts Dead. (And you definitely should, it’s good.)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

ehhhhhhh it says it's supposed to be a good starting point to the craft series but it's basically the start of a new series that builds off what came before. I think it works way better with context but it does a capable job of telling you what you need to know to enjoy the basic plot.
Three Parts Dead is the first book in the Craft series and the first intro of the character that this one is about, but for my money Two Serpents Rise works better as a self contained intro to the series and Gladstone as a whole. If you want to see if you like him without trying the series Empress of Forever is a space opera in one book, Last Exit is a multiple worlds thriller in one book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

No such thing!

They mean that he's dead.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Kestral posted:

Absolutely this. If you want something that is just an insanely detailed look at a fictional world, the Guide to Glorantha is your ticket. It’s ostensibly an RPG book, but there’s no actual rules in it, because Glorantha is notorious as a setting that is so deep and so weird that you need to do Actual Research to play it correctly.

And if the Guide doesn’t satisfy your craving, there’s tens of thousands of additional pages by Greg Stafford et al, going into the minutest details of life in an absolutely bizarre and fascinating world that is grounded in the mythopoetic insights of - and I do not say this lightly - one of the great minds of our time. Stafford was a genius and it’s a goddamn shame more people haven’t read his stuff.

Stafford owns, as does Glorantha. King of Sartar is almost like a fictional Herodotus, pure ‘in-universe’ history and myth, highly contested stuff by its various fictional authors.

RE: other examples, Borges’ The Book of Imaginary Beings and Calvino’s Invisible Cities fit the bill in that magical realism sense, though suffice to say they’re also both more than ‘lore bibles’.

Lexicon Urthus, in the same vein as the Dune Encyclopedia but for Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun, though as with Dune probably not that worthwhile if you haven’t read the novels.

Always Coming Home by Ursula LeGuin is brilliant. Big, shaggy, probably a bit too much in-universe poetry of the people living in far-future post-post-apocalyptic California, but really lovely. All framed as anthropological readings and gatherings. There is a conventional narrative there as one of those strands but it’s maybe 20% of the total?

Donald Tyson wrote what was meant to be the Necronomicon of Lovecraft (or rather of Alhazred), could be worth following up. There’s a few such books out there but this one’s good, like a gazetteer of the Middle East, all the locations that were of interest to a mad necromancer. Also all Tyson’s other books seem to be extremely earnest almanacks of magick, which I guess adds something like cred when Alhazred talks about sigils and such?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

It was mentioned above, but Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials and Barlowe's Guide to Fantasy. But especially his Expedition, if you can find it for a decent price. That for me is the go-to kind of fictional worldbuilding of an alien biome (it's not a surprise that Barlowe would later be hired to work on Avatar and a few of the aliens from Expedition wound up on Pandora).

You also might like Dougal Dixon's speculative evolution guides, After Man and Man After Man (both about human evolution in the far future) and The New Dinosaurs (on if dinosaurs didn't go extinct and evolved into new forms).

For more established IPs, I think the Star Wars Essential Atlas, Essential Guide to Warfare, and Propaganda books are the best possible looks at Star Wars from that sort of in-universe position.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

There's also just, real documents of not real things that might be of interest, though it'll be dry?

Compendium Maleficarium, the Malleus Maleficarium are 2 that I have.

There's also just gatherings of folk lore maybe? Theresa Bane's Encyclopedia of Vampire Mythology, Bob Curran's Encyclopedia of Undead, and Mary Katharine Briggs Encyclopedia of Fairies are a few I've found and need to crack open. How good they are o have no idea, but it should be a thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh yeah there was a lot of stuff about the warcraft setting published in the video game books for the original trilogy of real-time strategy games that was really fun to read when I was a teenager

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

GhastlyBizness posted:

Always Coming Home by Ursula LeGuin is brilliant. Big, shaggy, probably a bit too much in-universe poetry of the people living in far-future post-post-apocalyptic California, but really lovely. All framed as anthropological readings and gatherings. There is a conventional narrative there as one of those strands but it’s maybe 20% of the total?

Changing Planes is another one by Leguin. It’s like a multiverse-hopping Invisible Cities with an anthropological bent

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SkeletonHero posted:

I enjoyed The Resurrectionist
https://www.amazon.com/Resurrection...ps%2C145&sr=8-1

Half the book is presented as a biography on a turn of the century medical practioner who investigated cryptids and the other half is a medical treatise by the Doctor that's basically a Gray's Anatomy/treatise on their evolutionary path of mythical creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

GhastlyBizness posted:

Stafford owns, as does Glorantha. King of Sartar is almost like a fictional Herodotus, pure ‘in-universe’ history and myth, highly contested stuff by its various fictional authors.

King of Sartar is great, I wish I could recommend it more widely, but the things that make it great are basically invisible if you don't have a little grounding in the setting, enough to get the idea that things are... More complex, than the narrative is telling you directly. That said, I'm sure we have some people here who are fans of King of Dragon Pass, and they should run out and grab King of Sartar immediately. The two are linked, if you're lucky enough to run across the hints of that storyline in KoDP!