Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yiggy posted:

Looks like he's going to be in the wild west thunder junction set, although maybe he'll be in both. But he's definitely in cowboy town.

Assess chaps and no pants Oko plz wotc, make him look like if magic mike was a smurf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If they're doing a wild west set and a modern horror set, what's the chances they do a Deadlands Universes Beyond thingy? Might just be a Secret Lair.

Deadlands isn't the biggest IP out there but it's probably better known amongst existing Magic players. Also I would spend bux on a Deadlands crossover.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I can't think of a single IP I would be excited to see cross over cards for in magic. dark souls cards would be kind of cool I guess, but I still wouldn't pay money for them

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont WotC would be doing themselves a service by further associating themselves with Pinkertons.

Edit: or a 'What if the Confederacy wasn't a failed state and actually wanted to free the slaves' alternate history setting.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
New fiction today for Wilds of Eldraine. Honestly it was pretty poor, not even up to the low quality of the aftermath stuff which is a shame. Sounds like the plot will be some adventurers brave the wilds to break the witches' curse which is putting people to sleep which was a side effect of how they overcame the phyrexians. Also Will Kenrith sucks and Rowan has inherited Chandra's 'impatient red mage must do something' personality.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I dont WotC would be doing themselves a service by further associating themselves with Pinkertons.

Edit: or a 'What if the Confederacy wasn't a failed state and actually wanted to free the slaves' alternate history setting.

Fair enough.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

I can't think of a single IP I would be excited to see cross over cards for in magic. dark souls cards would be kind of cool I guess, but I still wouldn't pay money for them

I love Street Fighter but I didn’t go for the Secret Lair because the cards were all bad. I’m pretty ambivalent towards Lord of the Rings but I’ve purchased a decent amount of singles because a lot of the cards are fun and powerful. If the cards are cool I don’t care what kind of elf or wizard is on them. Hopefully they do as good a job with the FF set as they did with LotR. I would love to see UB product for Frasier, Out for Justice, and Succession.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 8, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Judgy Fucker posted:

If they're doing a wild west set and a modern horror set, what's the chances they do a Deadlands Universes Beyond thingy? Might just be a Secret Lair.

Deadlands isn't the biggest IP out there but it's probably better known amongst existing Magic players. Also I would spend bux on a Deadlands crossover.

Also, the point of Universes Beyond is to broaden the range of customers who would want to buy cards. Deadlands has a small audience that completely overlaps with the MtG fandom. Secret Lairs can have that kind of scope, though, so maybe we'll get lucky.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What in the heck is deadlands?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ilmucche posted:

What in the heck is deadlands?

Steampunk horror TTRPG

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

kalel posted:

I feel like if they announced a Universes Beyond product about an IP I actually really love my reaction at this point would be “oh no” rather than excitement.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kalel posted:

The Dark Sign
1WB
Enchantment
Sacrifice a creature: You lose life equal to that creature's mana value. Return that creature to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

kalel posted:

Dungeons & Dragons was just about the best possible option for me. Nothing else they've done or announced comes close.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

generatrix posted:

Dungeons & Dragons was just about the best possible option for me. Nothing else they've done or announced comes close.

But Forgotten Realms was really bad.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

The Dark Sign
1WB
Enchantment
Sacrifice a creature: You lose life equal to that creature's mana value. Return that creature to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.

Solaire of Astora
3RW
Creature
Jolly Co-operation: When Solaire of Astora attacks, you may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Return that creature to your hand at the end of combat.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

There would be a lot of potential for transforming cards too. Everyone from Bloodborne, Godfrey/Hoarah Loux, the dark-corrupted guys from DS3, etc

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

ShaneB posted:

But Forgotten Realms was really bad.

Why?

I thought they did a pretty decent job with it, myself. At least on the thematic side, I have no idea about limited.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

As a recently returning player I don't much care for the D&D tie-in sets because it has a really insular mechanic in the 'venture into the dungeon' crap and I really hate when sets do that. Please add mechanics that actually work outside the set like Eldraine

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

johnny park posted:

As a recently returning player I don't much care for the D&D tie-in sets because it has a really insular mechanic in the 'venture into the dungeon' crap and I really hate when sets do that. Please add mechanics that actually work outside the set like Eldraine

Well, the good news is they printed a fixed version of that mechanic that worked well outside of limited.

The bad news is, uh, it worked a little too well

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kalel posted:

Estus Flask (2)

Artifact

Estus Flask enters the battlefield with 5 charge counters on it

T, remove a charge counter from Estus Flask: gain 5 life

5, T: Add 5 charge counters to Estus Flask. Activate only if Estus Flask has no charge counters on it.

Capra Demon 4B

Creature - Demon

Trample

When Capra Demon enters the battlefield, create 2 2/2 black Dog creature tokens.

4/5

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 8, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Estus Flask (2)

Artifact

Estus Flask enters the battlefield with 5 charge counters on it

T, remove a charge counter from Estus Flask: gain 5 life

5, T: Add 5 charge counters to Estus Flask. Activate only if Estus Flask has no charge counters on it.

:stwoon:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, the good news is they printed a fixed version of that mechanic that worked well outside of limited.

The bad news is, uh, it worked a little too well

Still baffled that they used such an open-ended keyword like "Initiative" for... another dungeon

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm a proxy guy but I want to eventually play a real deck in a real tournament. Does anyone have a link to the physical logistics of storing and protecting cards that I'm intending to play with? Basically looking for a breakdown of brands, types of sleeves, single vs. double sleeved, deck boxes, how to uncurl foils. I bet Prof has a bunch of videos on these topics but does he have an all-in-one video that can act as a primer?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dark Souls would be the easiest set to design for, like shits just immediately popping into my head

Moonlight Greatsword (4)

Artifact - Equipment

Equip (3)

Equipped creature has +4/+1 and Reach

1, Tap equipped creature: Moonlight Greatsword deals 3 damage to any target

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Bonfire

5 and tap: restore your health to its starting value. Any opponent may return two random creatures in their graveyard to the battlefield.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

For a series about fire, these dark souls cards really hate burn players.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ya hasbro dropped the ball designing these cards

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cactrot posted:

For a series about fire, these dark souls cards really hate burn players.

Great Chaos Fireball (X)(R)(R)

Instant

Great Chaos Fireball can't be countered. Damage can't be prevented this turn.

Great Chaos Fireball deals X damage to any target, half X damage rounded up to another target, and one quarter X damage rounded up to a third target.

Quelaag, Daughter of Chaos 5BR

Legendary Creature - Demigod Spider Warlock

Menace, First Strike

When Quelaag enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to each creature, player and planeswalker.

At the beginning of combat on your turn, Quelaag deals 1 damage to each creature your opponents control.

Quelaag deals 1 damage to each creature blocking or blocked by it.

5/5

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 8, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Bonfire

5 and tap: restore your health to its starting value. Any opponent may return two random creatures in their graveyard to the battlefield.

Two random? The way it works is all, and that's fair for a full heal I'd say.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I designed a cycle based on the dark souls 1 lords years ago, I wonder if I still have the files in my pc somewhere

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The only kind of IPs I would be excited for that haven't already been announced are stuff that isn't relevant anymore in pop culture like Stargate or Farscape, so I'm immune :v:

Or I guess something REALLY out there like zero escape. That'd be kind of funny.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

kalel posted:

I'm a proxy guy but I want to eventually play a real deck in a real tournament. Does anyone have a link to the physical logistics of storing and protecting cards that I'm intending to play with? Basically looking for a breakdown of brands, types of sleeves, single vs. double sleeved, deck boxes, how to uncurl foils. I bet Prof has a bunch of videos on these topics but does he have an all-in-one video that can act as a primer?

Like a deckbox/sleeve recommendation or the pros and cons of single v double sleeving and brands type stuff?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
These monsters at Wotc better reprint Preordain in foil cause my modern deck is foil and switching in non-foil preordains will probably mark them, and foils are like $40

:(((

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Judgy Fucker posted:

Steampunk horror TTRPG

It, too, had its own, well-received if not popular, CCG/TCG.

Entropic posted:

I feel like if they announced a Universes Beyond product about an IP I actually really love my reaction at this point would be “oh no” rather than excitement.

This is how I felt about Final Fantasy getting announced, not because I'm worried about them getting it wrong, but because of all the FF goobers complaining about it getting it wrong.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Give me the one piece crossover wotc

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

kalel posted:

Prof has a triple sleeving guide I have been meaning to watch because even double can be a pain in the rear end, and you can kill an hour or so watching him shake boxes and rip sleeves apart. Always solid reviews if you don’t mind watching on YouTube. I don’t recall an all in one video aside from the triple sleeving guide a few months back.

Some general tips and opinions:

For decurling foils the successful reports I’ve read recommend using Boveda humidity control packs. A standard pack used typically is the 65% two way control. You would store the packs in a container (separated physically) then sleeve and store properly after the curl abates. If you don’t mind dedicating a deck box to the purpose, I’ve seen folk take some of the tower style deck boxes with a little tray compartment underneath for dice and drilling some holes so air can pass through the chambers, placing cards up top and boveda pack in the bottom space.

Re: sleeves, Dragon shield sleeves are ubiquitous and solid. I like ultimate guard katanas for the outer and when double sleeving I like dragon shield inners, they doublesleeve up easily. I like kmc perfect fits for keeping an inner sleeve on certain cards in storage or for like tokens and DFC but, for me personally, they’re a pain to double sleeve, though they are slightly cheaper than dragon shield inners. Ultimate guard has inners and I like the feel and stiffness of them, but several packs I’ve opened have had QC issues with unsealed bottoms or miscuts (which I have yet to experience on their katana sleeves but generally I’m turned off on their inners).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Big fan of KMC perfect fit inners with dragon shield matte outers.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Is this new? Full audio reading of the story dropped today. A great idea, magic story has always been pretty meh, but it could make for a nice commute listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8lR78ZeX0A

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Big fan of KMC perfect fit inners with dragon shield matte outers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

are KMC still the go to inner sleeve? I stocked up a while ago but might need to get more soon