Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
thanks for the 80 huge pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's nothing saying the OP can't dual purpose the hoist rig as a guillotine later

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Jonny 290 posted:

at least one of the people in those photos, or you, the OP, is a millionaire.

wargames posted:

Step 1 build a guillotine

Naw I'm just playin'. Cool boat.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

good dog

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
GroverHaus 2: GroverBoot

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol my neighbour came round last year and said "I grew all these apples here have some!" And they weren't the kind you can eat and we ended up putting them all in compost

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol my neighbour came round last year and said "I grew all these apples here have some!" And they weren't the kind you can eat and we ended up putting them all in compost

shoulda made cider

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love those apple pie things they have at mcdonald’s the apricot ones were good too but I don’t think they have them anymore

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
my favorite part was when the engine was hoisted out and it looked like it was going to be one of those herculean fix-an-engine posts. No thanks, I'll take the electric motor at 1/5th the size and complexity

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

echinopsis posted:

love those apple pie things they have at mcdonald’s the apricot ones were good too but I don’t think they have them anymore

They were always roof-of-the-mouth-scalding hot

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

RokosCockatrice posted:

my favorite part was when the engine was hoisted out and it looked like it was going to be one of those herculean fix-an-engine posts. No thanks, I'll take the electric motor at 1/5th the size and complexity

with the engine + the guillotine description for the hoist, i was half expecting a motorized guillotine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a boat, so conceptually it's just a very long form suicide

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

thanks for the 80 huge pictures
images thread v1.9:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

you mean like crab apples? you can eat those they just aren't good

everyone's so excited about heirloom produce now I'm surprised that people aren't pushing them on tiktok or something though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cool boat, but now my scrolling finger hurts

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

or cooking apples. turn them into pies, crisps, sauces and jams

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

akadajet posted:

cool boat, but now my scrolling finger hurts

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

pseudorandom name posted:

or cooking apples. turn them into pies, crisps, sauces and jams

yeah it was these but loads of them and they were already going soft

crisps I didn't consider though, that would have worked

mystes
May 31, 2006

couldn't you just freeze them? it would probably be ok for most applications where apples are cooked

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you’d want to freeze them in a peeled and cored state, which requires a lot of work if you don’t own an $11 spiralizer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWY1iuPAkyM

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lmao ai strikes again they rolled 1d8 and had a critical hit

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

AlbertFlasher posted:

lmao ai strikes again they rolled 1d8 and had a critical hit

worse. description reminds me more of dark souls than dnd

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

I am sure that there is some company or someone using AI right now and it's actually doing something good or useful. But holy poo poo every time these stories come out about how lovely ai currently is... like companies are spending billions of dollars on this garbage?

mystes
May 31, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

I am sure that there is some company or someone using AI right now and it's actually doing something good or useful. But holy poo poo every time these stories come out about how lovely ai currently is... like companies are spending billions of dollars on this garbage?
I'm not saying this is actually the case, but... since developing proprietary models is very expensive, and most of what companies are doing is plugging stuff into gpt, which would be very easy for any other company to copy if they hear that it's actually working well enough to be useful, it's possible that to the extent that companies have discovered actually profitable applications for it, instead of just using it to bilk investors or secure a superior negotiating position with employees, they might be keeping that information to themselves and just trying to make money off of it directly somehow rather than telling the world about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AlbertFlasher posted:

I am sure that there is some company or someone using AI right now and it's actually doing something good or useful

there's probably ways to use AI in specific domains where all its output goes to a human for further processing and get something useful out of it that couldn't be done another way

but the companies that just run the AI and dump its output unmodified onto the open internet are all garbage

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

there's probably ways to use AI in specific domains where all its output goes to a human for further processing and get something useful out of it that couldn't be done another way

but the companies that just run the AI and dump its output unmodified onto the open internet are all garbage

also use cases where you care about scale/speed rather than human quality analysis/output (particularly when those would be at a lower price point, e.g. mechanical turk type stuff). i used to work on a system that classified what companies were connected to an incoming stream of documents and the relevance of those connections which would be a good fit (actually there were two versions of this, one which did simple string matching used for a legal use case where we needed an easy to justify process, and one which did much fancier (at the time) nlp and got better output but was somewhat a black box).

distortion park fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 9, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

wargames posted:

Figured yospos might like this.

why is your AC flipping you off?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJ8ahGQl3s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/CuriosMuseum/status/1688867837534695426

warhammer: 1.4k

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hell yeah, loving around on a boat. It's amazing how maintenance intensive that poo poo is.

Modern batteries are incredible. Replacing all lighting with LEDs. Suddenly you can actually have some light on the boat without relying on petroleum or shore electricity. Get some sturdy solar panels on the deck below the mast and you can trickle charge enough to run the lights during the evening.

Also, gently caress loving around with boat tech, especially ship diesels.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

mystes posted:

it's possible that to the extent that companies have discovered actually profitable applications for it, instead of just using it to bilk investors or secure a superior negotiating position with employees, they might be keeping that information to themselves and just trying to make money off of it directly somehow rather than telling the world about it.

Ya you're probably right

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Also, gently caress loving around with boat tech, especially ship diesels.

for a while i was watching some boat building channels and yeah one of them constantly had problems with their diesel engine (even though they hadn't even started cruising yet).

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

RokosCockatrice posted:

It was also about 1/8th the cost of a new diesel.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd love to help somebody do the electricals on a boat. I had a really good time rehabbing the RV's electrical system - new power supply/inverter, new batteries, retro'd LEDs everywhere, wired it with cat5e and a switch and an access point on a telescoping pole...it was great.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Arson Daily posted:

why is your AC flipping you off?

because gently caress me, also its very chinese.

Jonny 290 posted:

i'd love to help somebody do the electricals on a boat. I had a really good time rehabbing the RV's electrical system - new power supply/inverter, new batteries, retro'd LEDs everywhere, wired it with cat5e and a switch and an access point on a telescoping pole...it was great.

Boat stuff and RV stuff isn't much different just boat stuff has a greater tax for "marine" grade. which i do actually spend on because holy gently caress can things rust fast.

Eeyo posted:

for a while i was watching some boat building channels and yeah one of them constantly had problems with their diesel engine (even though they hadn't even started cruising yet).

So this 10000000% this. my old diesel was a ford lehman 4d61 based on the french XD90 which was used in the puguet 504d. that stopped making parts for this forever ago, so getting parts was drat near impossible. Or i could go the cheaper option and go electic, with lifepo4 battery bank.

https://everythingaboutboats.org/lehman-4d46-4d50-4d61/

wargames fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 9, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

what's the difference in power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wargames posted:

Boat stuff and RV stuff isn't much different just boat stuff has a greater tax for "marine" grade. which i do actually spend on because holy gently caress can things rust fast.

I did a short stint at a boat place in my lake-surrounded tourist town teenage hometown, and i was absolutely stunned at how they were taking the little $1.29 bags of stainless bolts from Home Depot and reselling them at 19 bucks a pop. The premium for buying that poo poo at the boat shop is insane, its like 800% markup lol