Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Jedit posted:

They mean that he's dead.

Indeed; they should all follow their leader's example. Just go straight to the conclusion, no need to waste time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barlows guide to extraterrestrials
The TSA spacecraft book

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/

The Last Wish (Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SIPT4/

Ithaca (Songs of Penelope #1) by Claire North - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HQMF3M2/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sebmojo posted:

The TSA spacecraft book

If the Terran Trade Authority books, co-sign 100%

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

buffalo all day posted:

go read “tlon uqbar, orbis Tertius” by Borges, right now!!! Go!!!! (It’s a short story)

Yeah, this is a very good tip. Great fuckin' story.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

GhastlyBizness posted:

Donald Tyson wrote what was meant to be the Necronomicon of Lovecraft (or rather of Alhazred), could be worth following up. There’s a few such books out there but this one’s good, like a gazetteer of the Middle East, all the locations that were of interest to a mad necromancer. Also all Tyson’s other books seem to be extremely earnest almanacks of magick, which I guess adds something like cred when Alhazred talks about sigils and such?

Not specifically familiar with that one, but there are people who genuinely believe that the world of the Cthulhu mythos is real and incorporate that into their spiritual practice. So if all of that author's other books are more earnest books on magick, then it's likely this one is too.

That shouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment of it, I hope. Just read it with a flashing "this is what real-life Cthulhu cultists actually believe" going through your mind.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
if you can find a scan of it or something, the manual for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is like 250 pages and has a thorough explanation of the geography and so on of the planet it's set on, it was really fun to read as a kid

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chairman Capone posted:

If the Terran Trade Authority books, co-sign 100%

Tta, that was it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Came to mention Always Coming Home, too. Incredible book.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Barlowe's EXPEDITION: Being an Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 A.D. Voyage to Darwin IV is also fantastic. (If you've ever seen the Discovery special 'Alien Worlds' most of the material is adapted from the sketches, paintings and notes in EXPEDITION). Humanity is rescued from its bullshit by benevolent aliens who invite us along on their next exploration mission so we poor humans get a chance to see what an unpolluted world looks like. The book is a collection of the sketches and field notes of a naturalist who went on the expedition. You may recognize creatures that turned up in films like Pitch Black, Pacific Rim and Avatar; Barlowe's done a lot of creature concepts for Hollywood.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The manual for the game Homeworld was pretty great. The lengthy, troubled history of Kharak and its people, later retconned for Deserts of Kharak, all to make mission 3 that much more heartbreaking.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FPyat posted:

The manual for the game Homeworld was pretty great. The lengthy, troubled history of Kharak and its people, later retconned for Deserts of Kharak, all to make mission 3 that much more heartbreaking.

Actually yeah seconding this

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Reading through The Last Defender of Camelot I mentioned up thread and after the first half of the book is completely separate stories.

Is that common practice for older compilations? Just print a new edition of a book and change up what's in it?

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Not specifically familiar with that one, but there are people who genuinely believe that the world of the Cthulhu mythos is real and incorporate that into their spiritual practice. So if all of that author's other books are more earnest books on magick, then it's likely this one is too.

That shouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment of it, I hope. Just read it with a flashing "this is what real-life Cthulhu cultists actually believe" going through your mind.

This does appear to be Tyson. I’ve not read them but he does seem to incorporate Cthulhu stuff into his magical practices elsewhere.

That said, there doesn’t appear to be anything in the Necronomicon that looks like actual practice, you know? No “here’s how you draw on Azathoth for your own health and well-being” or similar. There’s a lot that shows off a familiarity with the history of western esotericism/the occult but even there it’s all written in a pretty wry tone with a lot of black humour. It’s much more of a Lovecraftian piece, with a focus on Alhazred being a sociopathic shithead Volo/Xanathar figure who’s written a gazetteer, rather than something more obviously focusing on the author’s own beliefs, if you like.

GhastlyBizness fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 9, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I enjoyed The Resurrectionist
https://www.amazon.com/Resurrection...ps%2C145&sr=8-1

Half the book is presented as a biography on a turn of the century medical practioner who investigated cryptids and the other half is a medical treatise by the Doctor that's basically a Gray's Anatomy/treatise on their evolutionary path of mythical creatures.
This sounds amazing. Into the backlog!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh, there's also The Dunwall Archives https://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-D...ps%2C123&sr=8-2

Dishonored was one of those games like the 'Shock series that puts all this narrative world building in little scraps of data and stories hidden throughout the levels. Dark House did a collection of all of them that does a good job of portraying a slice of life for a few days in a smoggy fantasy London.

Just get the kindle version since the physical goes for close to $200 these days.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ooh blubberpunk

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if you can find a scan of it or something, the manual for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is like 250 pages and has a thorough explanation of the geography and so on of the planet it's set on, it was really fun to read as a kid
You can also read The Pandora Sequence, which was somewhat inspirational to the ecology of SMAC.

Watch out for the mind worms.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kesper North posted:

Actually yeah seconding this

Speaking of great stuff about fictional desert worlds, I'd also suggest finding a copy of The Wanderer's Journal from the original Dark Sun Campaign Setting box. It's this wonderful and evocative in-character guide to a weird and terrifying setting, maybe the best setting book ever written for D&D.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

GhastlyBizness posted:

This does appear to be Tyson. I’ve not read them but he does seem to incorporate Cthulhu stuff into his magical practices elsewhere.

That said, there doesn’t appear to be anything in the Necronomicon that looks like actual practice, you know? No “here’s how you draw on Azathoth for your own health and well-being” or similar. There’s a lot that shows off a familiarity with the history of western esotericism/the occult but even there it’s all written in a pretty wry tone with a lot of black humour. It’s much more of a Lovecraftian piece, with a focus on Alhazred being a sociopathic shithead Volo/Xanathar figure who’s written a gazetteer, rather than something more obviously focusing on the author’s own beliefs, if you like.

There's also the classic 80s Necronomicon which iirc is still in print, which was written by a lunatic who calls himself "Simon" (though he insists that he just did some editing and this is the real honest to goodness and totally true book straight out of Lovecraft. It's an entertaining read, though clearly written as a deliberate hoax (lots of the spells are left deliberately incomplete, so readers can't even try to recreate them) The repeated warnings that this book is so gonna curse you, for real, you're totally doomed now, are wonderfully over the top.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECE9OD4/

The Kingdom of Copper (Daevabad #2) by SA Chakraborty - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P8TD5Y/

The Boy on the Bridge (Girl with All the Gifts #2) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL8BX9Q/

Redshirts by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079XPUOW/

Recursion by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDSHP7N/

Supernova Era by Cixin Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LF5W148/

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

pradmer posted:

I finished this series a few days ago and really enjoyed it. The books felt like much longer than average so this felt like a really worthwhile buy (I bought it last time it was on sale I guess). The first book is on Kindle Unlimited, too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pradmer posted:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECE9OD4/

Redshirts by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079XPUOW/

Recursion by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDSHP7N/

Random nobody's endorsement of all these books. Two removed because I haven't read them yet.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've discovered recently that the books posted for Amazon.com sales are often also discounted on Amazon.com.au, although they don't seem to show up in the kindle daily deals and you have to search for them manually. I'm no longer spiteful about those deals being posted and am now very grateful.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Redshirts by John Scalzi is real good. I remember it was supposed to be an FX show (I think) but that adaptation obviously stalled out. It's a shame, for obvious reasons it's one book that I think wouldn't be hurt by being adapted to TV, though probably Paramount would have to do it.

I feel like Scalzi was really big in the mid-00s for a decade or so and then kind of faded away.

StonecutterJoe posted:

There's also the classic 80s Necronomicon which iirc is still in print, which was written by a lunatic who calls himself "Simon" (though he insists that he just did some editing and this is the real honest to goodness and totally true book straight out of Lovecraft. It's an entertaining read, though clearly written as a deliberate hoax (lots of the spells are left deliberately incomplete, so readers can't even try to recreate them) The repeated warnings that this book is so gonna curse you, for real, you're totally doomed now, are wonderfully over the top.

Dan Harms and John Wisdom Gonce have a book called The Necronomicon Files: The Truth Behind Lovecraft's Legend, which goes in detail on Lovecraft's inspiration for the book, its role in his fiction, and its afterlife in pop culture. It's a pretty good look at everything Necronomicon-related. They go in depth on the Simon hoax.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'll also toss in a rec for Red Shirts, even though it seems like most folks around here don't like it. It's not a transcendently great novel by any means, but the premise is fun and it's got a good grasp on human emotion. I will go even further and say that the codas are Good, Actually.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll also toss in a rec for Red Shirts, even though it seems like most folks around here don't like it. It's not a transcendently great novel by any means, but the premise is fun and it's got a good grasp on human emotion. I will go even further and say that the codas are Good, Actually.

Yeah I enjoyed it and did not feel like it was a waste of the $3 or whatever I paid for it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

pradmer posted:

The Boy on the Bridge (Girl with All the Gifts #2) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL8BX9Q/
I never knew there was a sequel, does anyone know if its any good?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's actually a prequel, although the epilogue does explain what happened after the first book. I'd say it's good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

StumblyWumbly posted:

It’s excellent; I’ve never experienced such a sense of utter dread in my life (from media). I think I posted about that in this very thread. Closest was watching 28 Days Later when the guy from the roof with a daughter exactly my daughter’s age at the time was gonna go into the tunnel.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Remulak posted:

It’s excellent; I’ve never experienced such a sense of utter dread in my life (from media). I think I posted about that in this very thread. Closest was watching 28 Days Later when the guy from the roof with a daughter exactly my daughter’s age at the time was gonna go into the tunnel.

Even better than a recommendation is a recommendation not to read it while in uncertain circumstances!

Thanks!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Remulak posted:

yeah that sequel is better than the first one imo
mr carey is very good, both in books and in comics, i will never stop regretting his "the highest house" not getting renewed for more issues

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is The Boy from the Bridge still good if I can't remember anything that happened in The Girl With All the Gifts?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MockingQuantum posted:

Is The Boy from the Bridge still good if I can't remember anything that happened in The Girl With All the Gifts?

I'd say yeah

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MockingQuantum posted:

As a prequel, I'd say it's probably better.

I also recommend Carey's Someone Like Me, although it's horror rather than SF.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean if you can't remember what happens in it then reread Girl too because it's great.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Just finished Hopeland by Ian McDonald.
As normal with McDonald, it is a mix of near earth future mixing sort of cyberpunk with how other cultures would use it.
In hopeland, he mixes together London, pacific island culture, Greenland/Iceland, renewable energy sources, Tesla coils, climate refugees and non-gender normative magic anarchism.
It is a long winding story but well executed (as usual). An in contrast to other stories, this is not a dystopian story.
Btw the bitcoin financed seasteading episode is hilarious.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m interested in reading Foundation but there seem to be a lot of books in the series then a bunch of stuff that’s loosely tied in, and several different reading orders. What’s the recommended order for this stuff?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Foundation, then Foundation and Empire, then Second Foundation, then you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So it's not worth reading the side stuff, then?