Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

sephiRoth IRA posted:

is Lu trans? the author plays pretty fast and loose with the pronouns and while it's the vibe I'm getting, I didn't want to make assumptions with all the other weird poo poo going down.

Yes. The characters seem to be ignoring Lu's preferred pronouns throughout though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah what escape artist said. That's the case exactly.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I'm not even sure in liking it but I cannot stop reading it.

That's how I felt about it. I can't say I'll ever read it again, but it was certainly an unforgettable ride.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

escape artist posted:

Yes. The characters seem to be ignoring Lu's preferred pronouns throughout though

Not all the time tho! I was just curious whether that had any significance. I'll keep going to the end. Would you recommend Yeagers other novels?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Not all the time tho! I was just curious whether that had any significance. I'll keep going to the end. Would you recommend Yeagers other novels?

I think Amygdalatropolis might be my favorite, but Negative Space was my first at the thread recommendation and I really enjoyed it. I have yet to finish Burn You the gently caress Alive, but after I wrap up some other reading, I'll probably go back to it for a fresh start. To me, the novels feel like they have an "emptying" quality, if that makes any sense.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Truly stunned by how much I loved Camp Damascus. Never really read any Chuck Tingle, but there's not a trace of irony or too-self aware jokes I expected. Its a completely sincere horror novel about a conversion camp.

Character work is A+, the slowly unraveling mystery is stunningly well paced, the way the novel deftly danced between choosing what information is essential and what information is best left unresolved is just really smart for horror. One of its greatest strengths isn't even the horror elements itself, but the surreal terror of how casually some characters react to the horrors around the protagonist. "No, I think bugs spewing out of your mouth is normal, dear. Nature can be pretty weird!"

My favorite passage, about mid-way through the book, was really when it hit me just how thoughtful and deliberate the whole story was in its just pure gay anger:

Just phenomenal horror, across the board.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nerdietalk posted:

Truly stunned by how much I loved Camp Damascus. Never really read any Chuck Tingle, but there's not a trace of irony or too-self aware jokes I expected. Its a completely sincere horror novel about a conversion camp.
It's very easy to look at Chuck Tingle and go "aha, funny irony meme man," even as he's yelling about the importance of being earnest. Surely that's part of the bit! And yeah, it is part of the bit, but sincerely so.

It's a good bit.

Pounded in the butt by a good bit.

I should finish it today and it's really, really good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm about 2/3 through a d really enjoying it. I love the clever trick he pulled with the pacing there MIDBOOK SPOILER I was mildly annoyed about how I was nearly halfway through and she hadn't gone to the camp yet, then the twist

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Opopanax posted:

I'm about 2/3 through a d really enjoying it. I love the clever trick he pulled with the pacing there MIDBOOK SPOILER I was mildly annoyed about how I was nearly halfway through and she hadn't gone to the camp yet, then the twist

Had the exact same reaction. Was thinking about how long they were really delaying the titular camp and then it hits how long it’s been hovering over both Rose and the entire town. Truly gut punch moment.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Camp Damascus by Chuck Tingle is a very good book.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Matilda did the audio book? Okay.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Catriona Ward has a book that dropped today.

Also Daniel Kraus' Whalefall is finally out today. I am listening to it now and... I am holding my thoughts for now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
got around to reading Between Two Fires and it lived up to its reputation, knockout hit of a pageturner horror novel

though i do get tired of that stylistic quirk where the writer

Breaks up every sentence.

Into individual clauses. With their own lines.

For emphasis.

i thought it was mainly limited to stephen graham jones but apparently it's contagious

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

got around to reading Between Two Fires and it lived up to its reputation, knockout hit of a pageturner horror novel

For emphasis.

i thought it was mainly limited to stephen graham jones but apparently it's contagious

That style of writing is what caused me to fall in love with James Elroy, but I also tend to think that it lends itself well to his subject matter.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

For emphasis.

I can't stand that poo poo. After waiting years for someone to translate Anders Fager's Swedish Cults into English, I was mortified to find it's all like that, just continual sentence fragments with no subject or verb, not even for emphasis. I dunno if it's the translation or the author to blame but I gave up on it altogether midway through the second story as a result. I just find it infuriating and unreadable.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

apple ad copy grammar

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Found a copy of Lovecraft Country in a little free library.

So far it reads like a play report of someone's CoC game. The characters talk and act like modern people pretending to be characters from the 1950s. They even have an "investigator organization" that prompts them to go on adventures - a fictional version of the Negro Motorist's Green Book which sends them to check out locations and verify if they're safe for Black people on road trips.

The whole thing feels oddly safe. There's no sense of peril because characters keep getting knocked unconscious or stunned by danger. I know that Matt Ruff is capable of writing horror, Bad Monkeys was far more effective at creating atmosphere and a feeling of dread.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

New Nick Cutter book dropped! It's co-written by Andrew Sullivan, anyone read any of his stuff?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Opopanax posted:

New Nick Cutter book dropped! It's co-written by Andrew Sullivan, anyone read any of his stuff?

Yup! I just finished The Handyman Method yesterday. It's really good, a neat take on a haunted house that has some vividly gross stuff that reminded me of the sort of golden age of 80s slimy wet puppet special effects. It also uses Youtube as a horror concept in a way that I really liked.

Sullivan's other book that came out this year, The Marigold, I would also highly recommend. It's horror about a near-future Toronto that's literally rotting into the ground in large part thanks to corrupt building management/builders, and imo, manages to pull off having a lot of POV characters really well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Marigold was excellent.

I wasn’t crazy about the one Nick Cutter book I read (The Troop) but might check out that new one since it’s got Sullivan co-writing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Marigold was excellent.

I wasn’t crazy about the one Nick Cutter book I read (The Troop) but might check out that new one since it’s got Sullivan co-writing.

Fwiw I did not like The Troop at all but have liked other Cutter stuff, so depending on what turned you off about The Troop you might still like his other stuff. He always goes kind of hard in gross-out horror elements I think, but The Troop is probably one of the most extreme, and I felt like there wasn't a ton else going on in it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

Fwiw I did not like The Troop at all but have liked other Cutter stuff, so depending on what turned you off about The Troop you might still like his other stuff. He always goes kind of hard in gross-out horror elements I think, but The Troop is probably one of the most extreme, and I felt like there wasn't a ton else going on in it.

Eh, I'd say The Deep and Little Heaven are grosser

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Eh, I'd say The Deep and Little Heaven are grosser

i thought Little Heaven was pretty subdued compared to The Deep and The Troop, honestly. less gore and more sort of King-esque drama

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought Little Heaven was a pleasant change from The Troop and The Deep. I really like all three books, but The Troop and The Deep are really loving mean. They both have some passages that almost demand skipping on principle. Little Heaven has a bit more hope and redemption in it. All worth a read if you like any one of them, imo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I dropped the The Troop about halfway through the book, not because it was too gory (honestly the gore that was there all felt pretty much B-Movie cheap to me) but because the boys were just uninteresting stock characters. Unless he massively pulled it out the bag in the later chapters or the gore ramped up beyond some gross worms and eating gross stuff I don't understanding it's reputation at all.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I didn't know The Troop had a reputation at all. Around the time it was published I picked it up at random, thought it was ok I guess, and never thought about it again until now. I didn't know anyone else had even read it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I think it’s just that for body and parasite horror specifically, people have wildly different tolerances than with other forms of horror. Some people find it especially disturbing and hard to read.

I wasn’t that put off by Troop but I get it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's probably my least favorite Cutter but it's still good. Not like, genre defining or anything but a good weekend read.
I read it while camping with my kid so that probably helped

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

R.L. Stine posted:

I didn't know The Troop had a reputation at all.

I first heard of it, and decided to check it out, because I saw it back to back on a couple of "Best Of" list, so maybe I just thought it was more popular than it is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I enjoyed The Troop a lot, but now thinking back on it I honestly can't remember why I liked it so much.

I also read The Deep and found that one to be a dud, and that's on a number of "scariest book ever!!" lists, so :shrug:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's funny how apparently no-one has ever read The Acolyte

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I liked The Deep because “haunted house at the bottom of the ocean” is a fun premise, to me. I did not like it as much as The Troop, it’s pretty nihilistic and cruel, so much so that it just starts to feel exhausting.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Opopanax posted:

It's funny how apparently no one has ever read The Acolyte

It was hard to find by the time Nick's popularity increased enough to have people digging into his back catalog.

I am kind of surprised another publisher hasn't picked it up.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ornamented Death posted:

It was hard to find by the time Nick's popularity increased enough to have people digging into his back catalog.

I am kind of surprised another publisher hasn't picked it up.

I have it, just haven't gotten to it. Maybe I'll read it next

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I quite liked The Acolyte, but it's not much of a horror novel

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Read through The Handyman Method, by Nick Cutter and Andrew F Sullivan pretty quickly. It’s a little spooky, and at times pretty funny. It has a lot of Cutter’s motifs and language mannerisms, and I think it benefits from having a co-author bringing another perspective.

Spoilers:
Cutter calls himself out with The Shining influences, but it’s still pretty funny to replace Delbert Grady with a YouTube handyman. I really liked that Trent is a ritual offering, but I could have done with some more inner conflict from Rita. It’s a bit hard to believe she wouldn’t know what was happening to her son, and if she felt helpless or trapped or guilty by that, we didn’t get much until the end. I know they have to keep the lid on that for as long as possible, but it ends up leaving her less explored than I would have liked.

Still, a pretty neat idea, with some memorable moments. Did they really have to brutally kill another animal? That’s starting to annoy me with Cutter’s writing.

“Let’s dig a hole in the basement, dumbshit!!”

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, are y'all familiar with the World of Darkness series of roleplaying games? I’m curious to read some stuff that inspired that whole thing. Vampire: The Masquerade owes a ton to Anne Rice and Salem’s Lot of course, but are there similar inspirations to Mage or Werewolf?

The games came out in the early 90’s, so Jim Butcher is out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It absolutely was not a World of Darkness inspiration but I really like THE DEVOURERS by Indrapramit Das, an Indian werewolf novel. CW for sexual assault and lots of piss.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just read C.L. Moore's Jirel of Joiry stories and was wondering if there's other good sword & sorcery/dark fantasy with a similar vibe to "Black God's Kiss" or especially "Hellsgarde." They were both excellent stories but the horror atmosphere in "Hellsgarde" was just outstanding. I've already read all of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, Between Two Fires, etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Siivola posted:

Hey, are y'all familiar with the World of Darkness series of roleplaying games? I’m curious to read some stuff that inspired that whole thing. Vampire: The Masquerade owes a ton to Anne Rice and Salem’s Lot of course, but are there similar inspirations to Mage or Werewolf?

The games came out in the early 90’s, so Jim Butcher is out.

Nancy A Collins' Sonja Blue is one of those vampire influences you're skipping. Dropped in '89 and weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finished Experimental Film. I know it's a thread favourite but I feel a bit mixed on it. It felt like most of it was just waiting for something to happen, but at the same time it was so well written that I didn't mind the slowness so much. I also grew up with two autistic brothers and still live with/am a caretaker for one, so I probably got more out of the family dynamic stuff than most would.
Only real complaint was that they seemed to jump from Real World to Lady Midday is real and we have to stop her really quickly, that part didn't feel super earned.