Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

lol i was gonna say that bromley was an awful name

Waltham Bromley was the sidekick in the UK's import of walker texas ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're picking names you should give your kid a ridiculous fancy name but with the intent of it being shortenable to a variety of useful forms.

Like call your kid Amaranth and then they can shorten it to Amy or Mara, so they can pick something they like but also bust out the poncey name if they feel like it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I know someone that legally named their kid Abby, but only called her Abigail.

I have no idea why.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My kid has a middle name that I can use for getting angry. Also the middle name is my last name, so that's fitting. The first name is monosyllabic though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So I heard Americans tend to get really confused when they learn lots of people from European countries don't have middle names?

Like, I'm in the Netherlands and here, unless parents are feeling very posh, they give their child just a first name, and they only get further initials if they get baptized (one or more biblical names get added at that point).
Since 60% of the Dutch don't identify with any organized religion, lots of kids never get middle names.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Carbon dioxide posted:

So I heard Americans tend to get really confused when they learn lots of people from European countries don't have middle names?

*Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy will remember this*

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Carbon dioxide posted:

Like, I'm in the Netherlands and here, unless parents are feeling very posh, they give their child just a first name, and they only get further initials if they get baptized (one or more biblical names get added at that point).
Since 60% of the Dutch don't identify with any organized religion, lots of kids never get middle names.

Pretty sure it's an English language thing to have middle names, not specifically American.

edit: also pretty sure it doesn't have to do with religion in English either.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 10, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mustang posted:

Pretty sure it's an English language thing to have middle names, not specifically American.

*Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy will remember this*

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spaniards love names so much they have two last names.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Mustang posted:

What an odd thing to think

You must not read much

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Give kids boring names appropriate to their era, culture, and geographic location. If they're cool they'll organically acquire a cool nickname/agnomen.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

jeebus bob posted:

What an odd thing to think

You must not read much

Really, how do you figure?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Give kids boring names appropriate to their era, culture, and geographic location. If they're cool they'll organically acquire a cool nickname/agnomen.

I like the idea of having a fairly distinctive name, but without grabbing something too culturally distant or altering spelling just to feel unique. I like reviving names that were popular from previous generations. My name is unusual, but since its old it isn't unheard of or bizarre.

This was posted in this thread years ago and is one of my favourites.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Count Roland posted:

The fall of the Jennifer Dynasty and the ensuing Jessica/Ashley civil war were some turbulent times.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mustang posted:

edit: also pretty sure it doesn't have to do with religion in English either.

Middle names are quite common in a lot of Europe, Germany too in addition to the ones mentioned. The difference in forms is just that they're still considered "first names" and then "last name". I've never seen a section specifically for "Middle Name" but you'll see this on most (nearly all?) official legal forms:

Prénoms / Vornamen [Given names]
Nom / Name [Family name]

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know someone that legally named their kid Abby, but only called her Abigail.

I have no idea why.

Ah, the rare and elusive Nicholasname.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Saladman posted:

Middle names are quite common in a lot of Europe, Germany too in addition to the ones mentioned. The difference in forms is just that they're still considered "first names" and then "last name". I've never seen a section specifically for "Middle Name" but you'll see this on most (nearly all?) official legal forms:

Prénoms / Vornamen [Given names]
Nom / Name [Family name]

Yeah I know, I didn't say English is the only language with them. My only point was that they're common in English speaking countries, not just the US.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

So I heard people in the Netherlands tend to get really confused when they learn lots of people from European countries do have middle names?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I feel bad for the countries that don't do middle names because no one would get it if they said "[thing] is my middle name!" to show their affinity for it. For example, take the mayor of Hill Valley, Goldie Wilson. (Progress is his middle name!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spanish royals stole all the Dutch middle names to add to their own.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

I feel bad for the countries that don't do middle names because no one would get it if they said "[thing] is my middle name!" to show their affinity for it. For example, take the mayor of Hill Valley, Goldie Wilson. (Progress is his middle name!)

We don't use middle names and we still say that (more accurately, x is my second name)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, american :911: here
We aren’t confused, we mostly think you are being kind of an rear end in a top hat when you go off like that

My kids are Svyetlana Fominichna and Anastasiya Fominichna Surname. chosen by their mother, using a horrifying european language to assign middle names like they have been for centuries

but god believe me we’re all really impresssd about how cool the Netherlands is and definitely not laughing that you have a monarch and feel so cool about the whole capitalist empire from 400 years ago, we aren’t laughing. It’s so cool you don’t have middle names. The coolest and most bad rear end part is the belgians somehow being cooler and more likeable than you lol and lmao, fry country hi five ❤️

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 10, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

woof

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, american :911: here
We aren’t confused, we mostly think you are being kind of an rear end in a top hat when you go off like that

My kids are Svyetlana Fominichna and Anastasiya Fominichna Surname. chosen by their mother, using a horrifying european language to assign middle names like they have been for centuries

but god believe me we’re all really impresssd about how cool the Netherlands is and definitely not laughing that you have a monarch and feel so cool about the whole capitalist empire from 400 years ago, we aren’t laughing. It’s so cool you don’t have middle names. The coolest and most bad rear end part is the belgians somehow being cooler and more likeable than you lol and lmao, fry country hi five ❤️

Patronyms aren't middle names.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Count Roland posted:

I like the idea of having a fairly distinctive name, but without grabbing something too culturally distant or altering spelling just to feel unique. I like reviving names that were popular from previous generations. My name is unusual, but since its old it isn't unheard of or bizarre.

Baby Jessica was rescued in 1987, if anyone else is like me and wondered if there was a spike in Jessicas after that, but it looks like that wave started a few years earlier.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

OddObserver posted:

Patronyms aren't middle names.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Patronyms are last names but also not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carbon dioxide posted:

Middle names are extremely common in Denmark. Not as in multiple given names, but as a kind of second surname

Back in the early 1800s the govt wanted to get rid of patronymics, but they bungled the law massively leading to petrified patronymic surnames. Before that, people legally only had their given name, and were distinguished with bynames, the most common being the patronymic. But you'd often also have eg. Locational, occupational, characteristic, etc bynames. It all depended on speaker, context, etc.

Anyway the govt wanted people to have an inheritable byname, but since the laws were badly worded almost everyone ended up just being Jensen or Hansen instead of all the actually interesting and colorful bynames that were in use.

By 1900 or so, people started using middle names, which were not legally restricted to being the same as that of your father. Later laws have made it successively easier to get rid of stale patronymics, but since its still an annoying beaurocratic process many people still just use middle names. Using middle names also allowed women to keep a name connection to their family during the time when their surname was automatically changed to that of their husband.

For example, my middle name is shared by I think all direct ancestors of my maternal grandfather (born 1910), while my surname is a dead patronymic from my paternal great-great-great grandfather who was born in 1828 and got his father's given name + -sen. His children were called the same even though they were not sons of a man with that given name.

Multiple given names, on the other hand, were common esp. among the bourgeouisie and aspirants in the decades around 1900 but fell out of favor, yet have again become common for kids born in the last decade or so.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 11, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's quite interesting, actually. On the other hand we started using last names during the Napeolonic occupation. Everyone was asked to come to their local town hall and tell a clerk what they wanted as their last name. Many people chose something sensible like their job (Bakker, Smit) a patronym (Jansen), or the place they lived (Van Dijk, Bos).

But there was also a group of people who believed that this was temporary nonsense by the occupying forces, and this new administration would be burned as soon as they left.

To this day, their descendants have last names such as "Born Naked" or "Poopies".

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mustang posted:

Yeah I know, I didn't say English is the only language with them. My only point was that they're common in English speaking countries, not just the US.

Sorry, meant to reply to the original poster and not your specific post, but forgot to edit the quote.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

Baby Jessica was rescued in 1987, if anyone else is like me and wondered if there was a spike in Jessicas after that, but it looks like that wave started a few years earlier.

It was Lynch’s Dune

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have a Chinese name and my legal first name is a two-parter with a space in it. It is incredibly annoying just how many online forms don't accept spaces in the first name slot, or parses the second part of my name as my middle name (which doesn't exist). I could just write it without a space I guess but A) I hate how it looks when it's smushed together and B) it's not exactly my legal name at that point.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I know someone with 8 names b/c her mom is a hippie and "I named you after all the strong women on my side of the family". It has caused her infinite issues with legal documents, and her mom justifies it by saying that before 9/11 legal documentation for names wasn't such a big deal. I've mixed her name up a bit, but it's effectively (Melody Joy Brooke) [Ellen Annette Mariam] {Celeste Jankowski} where you have (first) [middle] {last} as her names.

My sister is dealing with the fact that my mom sneakily double-barreled her last name with Maternal-Paternal on her birth certificate and it has caused significant issues with her nursing degree, so I can't imagine what Melody is going through.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 11, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea name forms should just be a black box field with no assumptions because they're all wrong

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The decades long battle between coders and the Clan O'); DROP TABLE names;--

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yea name forms should just be a black box field with no assumptions because they're all wrong

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

There's a pretty entertaining episode of RadioLab about all the problems that can arise from uncommon or unusual names having to be entered into name forms:

https://www.radiolab.org/podcast/null

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kenning posted:

I know someone with 8 names b/c her mom is a hippie and "I named you after all the strong women on my side of the family". It has caused her infinite issues with legal documents, and her mom justifies it by saying that before 9/11 legal documentation for names wasn't such a big deal. I've mixed her name up a bit, but it's effectively (Melody Joy Brooke) [Ellen Annette Mariam] {Celeste Jankowski} where you have (first) [middle] {last} as her names.

My sister is dealing with the fact that my mom sneakily double-barreled her last name with Maternal-Paternal on her birth certificate and it has caused significant issues with her nursing degree, so I can't imagine what Melody is going through.
A high school buddy of mine had heritage from India, and he had issues with standardized test forms not having enough bubbles to fit his name. Even stuff that's handwritten is likely to need additional effort to squeeze stuff in....

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The most interesting middle name story is about a group of Iranian's I used to work with. They were all Mohammed and used their middle names in most situations.
It was very confusing to visitors because semi-formal conversation standards in German (and name signs/plates) ignore middle names.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My social security card just has the initials for my first and middle name, but full last name.

My birth certificate and driver's license both have my full first, middle, and last name.

It has never really been an issue, but one time I was working somewhere where they had to use whatever was on my social security card for my paperwork. It ended up causing a huge issue because my first name was just my initial and the initial password for my 401(k) was supposed to be the first two letters of your first name/last name and last four digits of your social security number. But, my first name only had one letter as far as they were concerned and I was locked out for about two months until they resolved it.

Nobody in my family seems to know why it is just initials on my social security card and getting a new card/name is an enormous pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

There's a pretty (ohhhh) entertaining episode of RadioLab (radio static sounds) about all the problems (angry grunting) that can arise from uncommon or unusual (confused grunt) names having to be entered into name forms forms forms forms:

https://www.radiolab.org/podcast/null