Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The progression of "ok we can't tell you anything" "ok time for secrets, now you can't leave or I'll kill you" "ok forget what I said, there's a Forsaken in this city, you can leave, save your skin" that the team goes through with her is so funny.

Books 3-4 Faile is one of my favorite characters in the series because she’s this little Greek chorus constantly reminding you how hosed the reactions of all the other characters are.

Book 5+ Faile, on the other hand….

seaborgium posted:

Balwer was an underappreciated character I think. If you look at what he thinks is going on from the rumors he's heard it's right more often than it's wrong, and usually it's just the little details he gets wrong.

Balwer subtly trying to hit Lord Perrin in the head with a clue by four is one of the only little joys in the later Perrin plot lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

seaborgium posted:

Balwer was an underappreciated character I think. If you look at what he thinks is going on from the rumors he's heard it's right more often than it's wrong, and usually it's just the little details he gets wrong.

He's a fan favorite!

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I'm not posting this in the spoiler-free thread because I think it'd get a better response here vs just a ton of spoiler text in the other thread.

So one of my friends is going through WoT for the first time on audiobook (I'm re-reading the books just ahead of him so everything is fresh) and he's on ACoS. His predictions for ACoS after reading the prologue were

- Rand is going to suffer a huge defeat, likely at the hands of Sammael
- No way Rand takes Illian, that happens next book. There are still a bunch of books left!
- Mat somehow ends up in Seanchan. How else is he going to meet the Daughter of the Nine Moons? (He picked up that connection as soon as it was possible, I was impressed)
- Egwene and the Rebel Aes Sedi are going to make it to the White Tower at the end of the book.
- Cadsuane shows up (He read New Spring after TFoH)
- The Seanchan are in Tanchico.

The third prediction was the one that I found the most amusing. I did my best to keep a straight face as he was saying it, which was pretty hard in the "How else is he supposed to meet Seanchan royalty?" part.

So far Mat is his favorite character, he absolutely loves Perrin, is very worried about Rand, and he really enjoys Egwene taking on the Aes Sedi establishment. I'm really looking forward to him getting to the part where Nynaeve loses her block.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

God the end of TGH is fantastic. Everything to do with Falme is just so tense and it just keeps on ramping.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
These predictions are not really unreasonable, except the Seanchan part I guess. We never really left the general area except to go to the Waste, and Rand's and Alivia's mini excursion into Seanchan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

These predictions are not really unreasonable, except the Seanchan part I guess. We never really left the general area except to go to the Waste, and Rand's and Alivia's mini excursion into Seanchan.

And the Far Snows Dance, lest we forget.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

sometimes you just wanna go to the snow and stay inside all day

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

And the Far Snows Dance, lest we forget.

Eh, I meant Rand and Aviendha's mini excursion into Seanchan, sorry for the typo...

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

New footage!

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1689290449121669120?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It would seem the dream of the Texan accent for the Seanchan is finally dead.

Hard to tell from what little we heard here, it did sound at least vaguely American?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some of that audio/dialogue seems to be spliced together but i think we can rule out texan accents.

And Rand is burning poo poo down already? :wtf:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Hard to tell from what little we heard here, it did sound at least vaguely American?

I mean, Texans are American, aren't they? Texan, Minnesotan, it should all work out as long as it's an American accent. Right? :v:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

thrawn527 posted:

boo

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They have Texan accents because they’re lovely southern slave owners, kinda whiffs the whole point of the accents.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I don’t think I’m a fan of dropping 3 episodes all at once. True, I will binge the poo poo out of them but after waiting for 2 years this drat season will be over within a month :ohdear:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Has anyone got that gif of "men are stupid" handy

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hexel posted:

I don’t think I’m a fan of dropping 3 episodes all at once. True, I will binge the poo poo out of them but after waiting for 2 years this drat season will be over within a month :ohdear:

You expecting GOT? I'm just happy it's being released

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Has anyone got that gif of "men are stupid" handy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Release the Texanchan cut, cowards!

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Hexel posted:

I mean, the most common streaming thing these days is 3 on day one then one a week after, seems likely they'll do that here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The shows got a long way to go to match this masterpiece

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, he's done pretty good with his guesses. Been way off one some other books but like...it's hard to predict exactly when things will happen in this series. "I think Rand will lose a hand" was something he said two books ago. He's right! Just like...6 books off.

His best future predictions so far have been that Moiraine isn't 100% dead and that the forsaken aren't 100% dead either. He made that second one at the end of TDR. He was pleased to be proved (Mostly) right at the start of LoC.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1690030354403655681?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm seeing screenshots of the two but I can't remember: in the early books, do Rand and Logain The Distilled actually meet? I thought Logain spied him through the crowds but that was it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No, I don't think they meet until Logain comes to the Black Tower

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It is fun that LoC recontextualizes Logain laughing as he's being shielded and paraded thru Caemlyn. Turned out he was laughing because he can spot ta'avern, and he saw Rand, and saw that he would gently caress things up way more than he could have or will.

Such a good book.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The show making Logain more of a character, at least so far, is the best call they've made imo. Maybe it's just because I first read the books in my edgy teen years but he was always one of my favorite characters despite getting almost no time "on screen". Him and Rand having interactions early on could be really great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CainsDescendant posted:

The show making Logain more of a character, at least so far, is the best call they've made imo. Maybe it's just because I first read the books in my edgy teen years but he was always one of my favorite characters despite getting almost no time "on screen". Him and Rand having interactions early on could be really great.

I can see them amalgamating Logain and Taim, especially if Demandred is one of the cut Forsaken.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainsDescendant posted:

Especially since the actor is so, so good. I'd watch him do car commercials.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

I can see them amalgamating Logain and Taim, especially if Demandred is one of the cut Forsaken.

Eh, Logain and Taim are such different characters, though. The only real similarity they have are being False Dragons, and in the process of going insane. Like, they're on opposite sides.

Combining them would be doing a rather large disservice to Logain, I think. (And Taim, for that matter.)

And I agree with the above, I really like Logain's story. So the show building on it is a great choice.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 11, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

yeah I think you need a good male channeler to balance out the bad male channeler

Could definitely see Logain replacing asmodean though

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

buffalo all day posted:

yeah I think you need a good male channeler to balance out the bad male channeler

Could definitely see Logain replacing asmodean though

That actually makes a lot of sense. I like Asmo alright, but I could see them combining Logain with him without too much issue. You just need, "Male channeler with experience to teach Rand," there.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. I like Asmo alright, but I could see them combining Logain with him without too much issue. You just need, "Male channeler with experience to teach Rand," there.

I feel like the point of Asmodean is more about Lanfear than himself, the fact that she's willing to betray and essentially enslave one of her own comrades for the Dragon's benefit is a pretty strong demonstration of both her feelings for him and her willingness to go against the other Forsaken. Plus the benefit of Asmodean as a tutor is that he has all the knowledge of male channeling from the age of legends, whereas Logain is self taught and wouldn't know nearly as much.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just make Logain secretly Asmodean

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no you need asmodean being a loser guitarist constantly banging his completely out of his league girlfriend

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

no you need asmodean being a loser guitarist constantly banging his completely out of his league girlfriend

Right and you also, at some point, need to pull back the hood on the "wait, these people were pathetic 3000 years ago" reveal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i will never get tired of moghedien coming up with a thousand reasons why running and hiding is actually the right thing to do

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is it even a Wheel of Time if Asmodean doesn't get merked by a mystery killer and you don't found out whodunnit until a random aside 4 seasons later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Rarity posted:

Is it even a Wheel of Time if Asmodean doesn't get merked by a mystery killer and you don't found out whodunnit until a random aside 4 seasons later?

Revealed in the credits of s08e05, not even on screen.