Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

If say, Necroepilogos or Pale Lights each had like 5 advance chapters for $5 (give or take both numbers), I would gladly pay that monthly

All my media consumption is either movies I didn't pay for, used books, or 10+ year old games, so I wouldn't mind this being the only thing I regularly cough up cash for :v:

Oh yeah, I spend money on Bandcamp too. My policy is that if I'm invested enough in someone's work to track their career and get hyped for their future output, throwing them a couple bucks every once in a while is the least I (myself, personally, not the person reading this, etc) can do.

Ramie fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Bad news for the Re: Trailer Trash fans who don't like Evanescence.

lol, hi

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ramie posted:

If say, Necroepilogos or Pale Lights each had like 5 advance chapters for $5 (give or take both numbers), I would gladly pay that monthly

All my media consumption is either movies I didn't pay for, used books, or 10+ year old games, so I wouldn't mind this being the only thing I regularly cough up cash for :v:

Oh yeah, I spend money on Bandcamp too. My policy is that if I'm invested enough in someone's work to track their career and get hyped for their future output, throwing them a couple bucks every once in a while is the least I (myself, personally, not the person reading this, etc) can do.

I prefer to read free, then buy on Amazon. Buying on Amazon and leaving a review might actually help them more long-term than dropping them Patreon bucks every once in a while.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Great chapter of Thresholder today (ch 48 part 2). Fight me Maya stans, she's a shitbird even if sometimes she's very right.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Bog Standard Isekai: Looks like things will be picking up soon and I'm really curious what Tawna's endgame is. She has been a pain this whole arc and now that Hogg is actually paying attention to her abusing a child she just got worse and bolder in her pretty manipulations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 75:

This chapter showed us one way Alden's authority sense is very helpful - being able to notice when you're being targeted is pretty handy. The scene with him awkwardly beating up the other sobbing B-Rank was also very funny. While he predictably got owned by the A-Rank, I think he might actually stand a chance once he gets the hang of using his ability on stuff like the fishing lines. I wouldn't be surprised if his skill itself could hold up against the attacks of S-Ranks his age. The entrustment limitation is a pretty big problem, though. It's not a big deal now since other people aren't aware of it, but other people being aware would make it very easy to "disable" his skill simply by stopping his movement (at least until Alden develops the ability to remove the carriage requirement).

I'm kind of curious about the "pain mimicry" ability of the suits. A lot of the worst pain from injuries/trauma comes more than a few seconds after it happens, so how effective it is at "masking" pain would heavily depend on how quickly it makes it disappear. To take Alden getting shot with that guy's arrows as an example, it probably wouldn't be super bad if the pain only lasted 3 seconds or something. I also wonder exactly how accurate it is - how does it mimic something like getting shot in the head (which affects your brain)?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SupSup 75:
Alden really needs a batman belt of items for his skill. Since he can be entrusted "stacks" of stuff he can treat a belt with pouches of items for a variety of situations as a single item. It would give him a lot of flexibility in choosing what to preserve. Though he'd have to remove it and hand it over to get it re-entrusted if he switches targets.

Regarding the fights, I think he had a good showing.

He kept his cool in the up-tier fight with the A-rank and didn't get frustrated or angry. I'm sure that was part of what they were testing there. And while he probably could have performed a bit better by using his fish line or screaming sphere he was getting pressured constantly from range so I'm sure he won't suffer too much from that. He probably did significantly better than expected at blocking the arrows thanks to his sense of being targeted and was able to keep rocking despite feeling like he's getting shot dozens of times.
That shows he has a ton of endurance when they feel like actual arrows. He didn't need to win that fight to score well.

For the B/B fight he obviously did great. Stayed cool and even taunted his opponent a bit to get her flustered. He was in control of that fight almost the whole way through.

Max's fight, while clever and earning him the win, might not get him many points. Intentionally taking "lethal" hits probably doesn't make you look like a good hero candidate.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 75:

This chapter showed us one way Alden's authority sense is very helpful - being able to notice when you're being targeted is pretty handy. The scene with him awkwardly beating up the other sobbing B-Rank was also very funny. While he predictably got owned by the A-Rank, I think he might actually stand a chance once he gets the hang of using his ability on stuff like the fishing lines. I wouldn't be surprised if his skill itself could hold up against the attacks of S-Ranks his age. The entrustment limitation is a pretty big problem, though. It's not a big deal now since other people aren't aware of it, but other people being aware would make it very easy to "disable" his skill simply by stopping his movement (at least until Alden develops the ability to remove the carriage requirement).

I'm kind of curious about the "pain mimicry" ability of the suits. A lot of the worst pain from injuries/trauma comes more than a few seconds after it happens, so how effective it is at "masking" pain would heavily depend on how quickly it makes it disappear. To take Alden getting shot with that guy's arrows as an example, it probably wouldn't be super bad if the pain only lasted 3 seconds or something. I also wonder exactly how accurate it is - how does it mimic something like getting shot in the head (which affects your brain)?

I was hoping he'd swap his targeting to the archer and try to see if his brain/ability considers being shot with something qualifies as being entrusted with it. His definition of entrustment is getting so broad, a partner saying hey Alden bring me some of that dirt below you would activate his abilities at this point.

I'm also getting very curious how the secrets entrustment works now. Mother says they speak a secret and then they forget it. So if anyone tells Alden a secret, he can make them instantly forget that thing until he wants to use his ability for something else? A villain yelling 'Yes Rabbit, my secret evil power is I control heat!' means the villain instantly forgets what his superpower is?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

uPen posted:

I was hoping he'd swap his targeting to the archer and try to see if his brain/ability considers being shot with something qualifies as being entrusted with it. His definition of entrustment is getting so broad, a partner saying hey Alden bring me some of that dirt below you would activate his abilities at this point.

I'm also getting very curious how the secrets entrustment works now. Mother says they speak a secret and then they forget it. So if anyone tells Alden a secret, he can make them instantly forget that thing until he wants to use his ability for something else? A villain yelling 'Yes Rabbit, my secret evil power is I control heat!' means the villain instantly forgets what his superpower is?

The issue with switching targets to the archer and trying to grab arrows for preservation is he can only have one target. He'd lose his shield (umbrella) if he did that and could no longer preserve it.

I did kind of hope he would try to preserve the B-rank girl when she tried to tackle him thinking that would count as "entrustment". Might have been an instant win there then.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 75:
Max's fight, while clever and earning him the win, might not get him many points. Intentionally taking "lethal" hits probably doesn't make you look like a good hero candidate.

I feel like the problem is beyond that. (SupSup 75) The other prospects talked about how the Meister should have thrown it at his limbs instead, but those can be equally lethal hits by virtue of blood loss--at supernatural power levels that sort of injury may just basically destroy the arm or leg, and tourniquets have limits. And those are harder shots to make, so if there's anything on the line, aiming for center of mass is way, way easier. Putting yourself in a situation where your enemy has to escalate to lethal force is incredibly stupid, doubly so if you don't have the ability to avoid or stop that incoming lethal force. And orchestrating that situation specifically to make the other person fail the "no lethal damage" condition moves it from "incompetent" to "evil poo poo"--striking for what would be lethal damage during a test gets you blacklisted not just from that school but ALL the hero schools. Like, if I was the tester, I'd fail him unconditionally when he did that and argue strongly for a permanent blacklist, even if it's not the all-schools blacklist. It was just bad all around.

(Though I'd probably wait to remove him, so that anyone else inspired by his example can likewise fail themselves out of the test.)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup 75

I mostly agree with you, but I am not sure if this hero school will agree. Multiple characters have talked about how the school culture is pretty brutal. They might see this kind of merciless gaming of the test system as evidence of his insightfulness and cleverness.

Max certainly has his poo poo together more than any non-Alden candidate we have met so far. Deducing that Alden is significant instantly and then following up by studying his running shows that he might be psycho, but at least he understands what's going on.

I personally think him trying to get other people to leave before end of time was even scummier than taking a spear.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Einander posted:

I feel like the problem is beyond that. (SupSup 75) The other prospects talked about how the Meister should have thrown it at his limbs instead, but those can be equally lethal hits by virtue of blood loss--at supernatural power levels that sort of injury may just basically destroy the arm or leg, and tourniquets have limits. And those are harder shots to make, so if there's anything on the line, aiming for center of mass is way, way easier. Putting yourself in a situation where your enemy has to escalate to lethal force is incredibly stupid, doubly so if you don't have the ability to avoid or stop that incoming lethal force. And orchestrating that situation specifically to make the other person fail the "no lethal damage" condition moves it from "incompetent" to "evil poo poo"--striking for what would be lethal damage during a test gets you blacklisted not just from that school but ALL the hero schools. Like, if I was the tester, I'd fail him unconditionally when he did that and argue strongly for a permanent blacklist, even if it's not the all-schools blacklist. It was just bad all around.

(Though I'd probably wait to remove him, so that anyone else inspired by his example can likewise fail themselves out of the test.)

SupSup 75
I dunno if I'd go that far. While Max was certainly controlling the fight and leaving his opponent with few options, it's not his fault they took a lethal shot at his chest. And these are fights, they aren't required to give their opponents fair opportunities to show off their stuff. You're supposed to be trying to win it. I think the only "ehhh" thing Max did there was presumably intentionally take the chest hit. And I think if the school looks down on it, it's because he would have intentionally took lethal damage, rather than that he got the opponent to DQ themselves

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 75
I personally think him trying to get other people to leave before end of time was even scummier than taking a spear.

I agree that this was kinda scummy, but TBH, the school might appreciate it too. They might like him trying to weed out the really gullible people.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
SupSup 75 also if a dude can be trivially baited into attempting to kill someone, he maybe wasnt cut out for that drink-endorsement hero life

also i understand that its an unavoidable fact of life that we will sometimes go two or occasionally even two and a half chapters without hearing about kibby but I M O any more than that is unreasonable and frankly absurd. I demand to know what kibby is doing and how she is feeling at all times. if the author is going to make a character that adorable then by god they need to keep me updated.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 75
I dunno if I'd go that far. While Max was certainly controlling the fight and leaving his opponent with few options, it's not his fault they took a lethal shot at his chest. And these are fights, they aren't required to give their opponents fair opportunities to show off their stuff. You're supposed to be trying to win it. I think the only "ehhh" thing Max did there was presumably intentionally take the chest hit. And I think if the school looks down on it, it's because he would have intentionally took lethal damage, rather than that he got the opponent to DQ themselves

I agree that this was kinda scummy, but TBH, the school might appreciate it too. They might like him trying to weed out the really gullible people.

The moral problem is secondary and debatable. The fact that it was tactically really, really stupid isn't. (SupSup 75) Like, imagine this is an actual fight. If they have full freedom of motion, then they can hit you without killing you. If you freeze them in place but still allow them to throw the weapon, then that thrown weapon is way, way more likely to kill you, because you don't have the finesse to pull the blow. The physics of throwing don't really allow that. On top of that, 'return the weapon to hand' is something that Meisters have already been demonstrated to be capable of, in that very same chapter. Basically any competent Meister is going to take that skill. If you're treating this like an actual combat situation (as the "strike to kill and you're blacklisted" rule already implies), all that making the Meister start throwing their weapon does is force them to strike to kill, which they will do until they are rendered unable to throw or you die. And by all indications Max had zero ability to stop them from throwing their weapon. Unless Max does and he deliberately didn't use it, in which case we either dial up his apparent incompetence or maliciousness.

Like I said, really, really stupid. The fact his opponent was equally dumb doesn't change that.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Einander posted:

The moral problem is secondary and debatable. The fact that it was tactically really, really stupid isn't. (SupSup 75) … If you're treating this like an actual combat situation (as the "strike to kill and you're blacklisted" rule already implies),

And if you’re treating it like an opportunity to reduce the completion for a spot in superhero school, then it’s pretty smart. Remains to be seen how it’s being graded.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Oh wait, gently caress. Super Supportive. Super Supportive. I only just now got the joke in the name. Goddammit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 75

I laughed out loud at the part where he just tosses his sphere and hits the B-Rank girl in the nose. That scene was funny because it felt pretty believable. Like you're thinking "I guess I should try attacking?" and just toss this thing at the other person's face.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sup sup 75 I suspect Max is going to be a long term antagonist. It will probably take Alden a frustratingly long time to realize it too. I agree that Max trying to trick people into thinking the fake exit wasn’t a trick was super scummy. He pushed it hard too.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

Sup sup 75 I suspect Max is going to be a long term antagonist. It will probably take Alden a frustratingly long time to realize it too. I agree that Max trying to trick people into thinking the fake exit wasn’t a trick was super scummy. He pushed it hard too.

I love how Alden is portrayed as smart and pretty socially perceptive in a lot of ways, but he is also kind of guileless politically. He always assumes positive intentions in others and takes a bit to figure out that yeah, some people are pretty selfish jerks. It's such a classic superhero trait but it's portrayed in such a naturalistic way. I find it very charming.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 75

I think Max is just very clever/pragmatic in his actions in a way that might be necessary for a B-Rank (I think he was B?) to have a good chance of being accepted. I can't think of any reason he would stay antagonistic to Alden after being accepted. It's just that they're fighting for a limited number of acceptance spots.

And yeah, he was absolutely trying to trick people when he speculated about quitting early being a good idea.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm going to have to resubscribe to the SupSup patreon just so I can read this thread again.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'm not gonna subscribe myself so I'll just live with this thread being unreadable

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I would prefer if the SupSup Patreon people went to their own thread (or a Reddit, I dunno, glhf).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah I just skim past it.

So this is on RR now: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/72751/the-gods-are-bastards

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

If there is one thing I can't stand, it's people enthusiastically being on topic in a thread when I am not interested in that specific discussion. If I am not part of the conversation, people should just go away.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That only works up to a certain volume of posts. That's kind of the point of some topics needing dedicated threads.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Megazver posted:

I would prefer if the SupSup Patreon people went to their own thread (or a Reddit, I dunno, glhf).

Basically gave up on this thread when people started arguing about the sexuality of a 15 year old child. So, I support this because it feels gross looking at the thread after all that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Megazver posted:

That only works up to a certain volume of posts. That's kind of the point of some topics needing dedicated threads.

The SupSup talk doesn't stop anyone else from talking about other web serials though?

shirunei posted:

Basically gave up on this thread when people started arguing about the sexuality of a 15 year old child. So, I support this because it feels gross looking at the thread after all that.

W...what?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I think it's people not enjoying the volume of walls of black boxes. It's not that talking about their favorite web serials is bad, that's the point of this thread, it's the quantity of large chunks of redacted text every day.

I was going to suggest a thread rename to 'Web Serials: [redacted]' based on how it's been the last few weeks.

Personally I think SupSup is pretty cool, but I'm a bit behind on it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Kalas posted:

I think it's people not enjoying the volume of walls of black boxes.

Maybe everyone here would be more amenable to it if the boxes were blue

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The protagonist from super supportive is ace and people discussed it a while back.

And yeah, as someone who has access to the patreon, and has participated in discussion ITT it's still a bit annoying to have the thread turn into a CIA doc twice a week.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 12, 2023

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
It's nice to see discussion happening in this thread even if it's not about something I'm reading or enjoying. I don't think anyone complained when the thread was full of wandering inn black boxes.

I guess super supportive is the new thing lots of people like. I just scroll past the posts and just read discussion I'm interested in

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I too enjoy complaining about other people having fun.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Insinuating that discussion of fictional teen queerness is pedophilic sure is a choice that you made there Shirunei. Maybe make better choices in the future.

Posting about posting is a sin. I am sorry for doing it two posts in a row.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

The protagonist from super supportive is ace and people discussed it a while back.

As I recall it was just "hey it's pretty neat that there's a main character whose Ace". Did I miss someone getting really creepy?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
If you did, I did too.

And lol that someone goes into the "I mean, it's not like it has a cloaca" thread and freaks out at the mention of an asexual teenager.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 12, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Also, technically he's 16.

As for my weigh in on the subject... well, I'll be totally honest that when the thread was 90% discussion on TUTBAD or TWI or whatever it kind of annoyed me. I mainly use this thread to find recommendations for new stories so having page after page of discussion on something I had no interest in reading was a bit annoying.

However, I actually really like SupSup and enjoyed discussing it in this thread, so my reaction here wasn't "this is annoying", it genuinely was "I need to resubscribe to the patreon so I can participate in this redacted discussion." Kind of amazing the difference actually following the serial makes.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

This thread is lucky to get 10 posts a day, how are you reading web serial fiction and can't manage to scroll by 10 posts. The main way to get recs in the thread is to try the things people are talking about, if people don't talk about what they're reading it'll get like 1 post a week, I'm not sure how a super dead thread is some sort of improvement on finding things to read, I started reading SupSup because of all the discussion in here, which is true of a bunch of other web serials in the past as well.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about stories, I guess part of it is I can't catch up with the discussion because I have no plans of subscribing to the SupSup patreon (for budget reasons, I just don't have the money to subscribe to every story that interests me). And I like the story enough to follow it on RR, I wouldn't mind talking about it but it feels like everyone is ahead of me on the patreon.

Ah well might as start RR discussion. Gods Stuart is such a relatable dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Naming a pet after a dead stranger and then that stranger coming back to life and asking to meet the pet is such a hilarious social rake to step on.