Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reclaimer posted:

I recently started Seven Blades in Black and the main protagonist hits pretty similar to Gideon.

Wasn't Sykes revealed to be a sex pest or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

silvergoose posted:

I'd suggest The Dawnhounds, by one of our very own thread posters and also a NZ author
And Saint Death's Daughter, which very much works in the necromancers are loving weird space

Dawnhounds was great, read it just for itself.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't Sykes revealed to be a sex pest or similar?

oh no

edit: from his website

still leaves a bad taste but at least he took responsibility and took steps to be better

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 7, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

mllaneza posted:

Dawnhounds was great, read it just for itself.

Oh yeah for sure, I recommend it at the drop of a hat

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe one day we'll get a sequel to Dawnhounds...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's been written, just grinding through the publishing machinery...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's coming... Eventually.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmm, I'm interested in Dawnhounds but for some reason it's weirdly expensive for Kindle. I'm used to books being $1-2 cheaper than paperback, usually around $12. But Dawnhounds is $18, almost 50% more than the paperback.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Well that's an easy pre-order, thanks!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Is it just me or Nona was kinda meh?

i quite liked the first two acts of nona, but after she talks to neptune she stops being involved with the story and the quality takes a dive. there's still plot going on, but she doesn't have any reason to care about it, and it makes it much less fun to read.

it feels like we got two thirds of a book and one third all the various maneuvering needed to be done to set up the last book. and the maneuvering is why nona the ninth exists as a book in the first place, but it doesn't fit very well into the fairly interesting characters and story that were written around it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Venuz Patrol posted:

i quite liked the first two acts of nona, but after she talks to neptune she stops being involved with the story and the quality takes a dive. there's still plot going on, but she doesn't have any reason to care about it, and it makes it much less fun to read.

it feels like we got two thirds of a book and one third all the various maneuvering needed to be done to set up the last book. and the maneuvering is why nona the ninth exists as a book in the first place, but it doesn't fit very well into the fairly interesting characters and story that were written around it

This is actually all of the books, imo they are all significantly better on a re read because of it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So in John's flashbacks we have reached what I like to call 'Phase Weekend at Bernie's and I am giddy at the thought of Muir actually mentioning said reference.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
So I was listening to Harrow again as I drive around for work and something John said (I wish I remember exactly what, but that was 3 hours into a 5 hour car ride and I haven't slept yet) combined with the fact we know (or suspect? Do we know for sure?) that John rewrote people's memories made a big sproing noise go off in my head.

Do we know for certain that it has actually been 10000 years? If he rewrote memories couldn't it be much less? I doubt BoE or the cohorts spend a lot of time comparing timelines.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Finagle posted:

Do we know for certain that it has actually been 10000 years?

Been wondering this

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Oh and also! Regarding BoE names, we still don't know what the deal is with them, correct? How they get or pick them, why they are so long?

Wake's line to John about her name - "a human chain reaching back ten thousand years,” made me wonder if it's going to turn out to be related to Whakapapa.

(Of course it's possible someone else already came up with this, and I forgot I read it here, and then felt smart in the car!)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I don't think he rewrote memories so much as he created entirely new people out of his friends. Taking somebody and pruning away their memories is easy, giving them 10,000 years of false memories is a lot more effort.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like it's got to be a long time, since the descendants of the trillionaires have colonised a load of planets and built up large populations on them.

If it's really 1000 years instead of 10,000 years because of false memories I guess that would be possible but what would be the point

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Finagle posted:

So I was listening to Harrow again as I drive around for work and something John said (I wish I remember exactly what, but that was 3 hours into a 5 hour car ride and I haven't slept yet) combined with the fact we know (or suspect? Do we know for sure?) that John rewrote people's memories made a big sproing noise go off in my head.

Do we know for certain that it has actually been 10000 years? If he rewrote memories couldn't it be much less? I doubt BoE or the cohorts spend a lot of time comparing timelines.

It would have come up, surely, he only resurrected the nine houses

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
jail for mother earth
jail for ten thousand years

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

It would have come up, surely, he only resurrected the nine houses

I think I missed that point. I always thought he resurrected a bunch of people (if not necessarily all of humanity) and those people eventually formed the nine houses with a bunch left over to, y'know make stuff, grow stuff and otherwise do the necessary parts of civilization.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Okay yeah, good point all. I kind of got excited and forgot about all the non-House planets.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everyone posted:

I think I missed that point. I always thought he resurrected a bunch of people (if not necessarily all of humanity) and those people eventually formed the nine houses with a bunch left over to, y'know make stuff, grow stuff and otherwise do the necessary parts of civilization.

I think skellybones filled in for the workforce that needed to do things.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If anything about John and the Empire's age is a lie, it might be older, not younger. He might have killed and resurrected his friends many times trying to perfect them.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
hate it when i forget to water my House planets before I go on vacation

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

hate it when i forget to water my House planets before I go on vacation

"Just resurrect them when you get back. That's what I do since gardening is such pain." Probably Jod

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Did you know flowers watch the sunrise?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
did you know plants scream in pain, John?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I can’t figure out how to embed tumblr links but the art is worth it: Gideon Nav in GtN

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's so perfect

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Saw a few Gideon and Harrows at my local renn faire this weekend. I have no idea how they survived in the heat and sun but I admire them for it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Saw a few Gideon and Harrows at my local renn faire this weekend. I have no idea how they survived in the heat and sun but I admire them for it

There were a few at GenCon as well. Also a Jod but sadly nobody knew who he was except my GtN-reading friend who went.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

There were a few at GenCon as well. Also a Jod but sadly nobody knew who he was except my GtN-reading friend who went.

That's the mark of a successful Jod cosplay, imo

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dawgstar posted:

Why should they know? He’s only god.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

silvergoose posted:

Similar is such a difficult task, I find her writing so unique.

For stuff kinda maybe in the same vein

I'd suggest The Dawnhounds, by one of our very own thread posters and also a NZ author
And Saint Death's Daughter, which very much works in the necromancers are loving weird space

The Dawnhounds is really loving cool, very excited for the sequel. If I hadn't already read the first I might wait until the second book comes out to read both of them, it felt like Dawnhounds ended in a weird spot.

Saint Death's Daughter I both liked and disliked, like the tone is all over the place and it had a character I hated SO MUCH I was like, ok I can't keep reading this if she doesn't get some comeuppance and then she was murdered in the next chapter which did kind of boost my morale. ...but I do think the world is super cool and I do want to see where the author goes with it, so I'll probably read anything else that comes out.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just read Muir's short story, Undercover, and it's definitely a must read for fans of her work. Hoping she'll flesh out the world further and give readers a bigger bite.

Folks have any recommendations for similar writers?

I also think it's hard to compare Muir to literally anyone else, but in the vein of 'books that drew me in and loving kept me there' I would say Sue Burke's Semiosis duology, Ann Leckie's anything (Imperial Radch series & The Raven Tower), and I haven't read her novels yet but I really enjoyed Premee Mohamed's short story collection (No One Will Come Back for Us), R.B. Lemberg is amazingly imaginative. Lina Rather has Sisters of the Vast Black and the sequel if you're craving more Catholicism in space.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I can second Ann Leckie's work. Very different tone and mood overall from TLT, but I enjoy the Imperial Radch stuff a lot. It does a similar sort of feeling-out the shape and nature of a massive and old interstellar empire from the relative fringes of power. The Radch is nicer than John's empire in that they aren't constantly at war with everyone, and various treaties and legalisms have some traction with them, but they're still a big buncha fuckers. It does make the plots rather more sedate as people will resort to peaceful and legal means to get what they want first, sometimes even without yanking someone's own bones out from inside them. Wacky, right?

Muir and Leckie also fall in, in my mind, with a few other authors I first read not too far apart from one another. Opinions may vary on how alike they actually are, but that's where my brain goes. First, Arkady Martine and her "Teixcalaan" novels (two out so far, A Memory Called Empire, and A Desolation Called Peace). Second, Yoon Ha Lee and his "Machineries of Empire" trilogy (the first being Ninefox Gambit). Then, Martha Wells and her "Murderbot" series (starting with the novella All Systems Red). All five of them make up a happy little cohort of authors I will absolutely read right away when given the chance.

Most of those are sci-fi of varying hardness levels, but Yoon Ha Lee's is outright science fantasy like TLT, with weird space magic based upon adherence to a proper calendar. One of the major characters is a soldier extremely good at the math required to make the space magic work. (Another one is the ghost of a genius general stapled to her, who is himself hopeless with the math but knows people frighteningly well.) Lee in general does a lot of stuff as metaphor for how culture is consumed and destroyed to feed the engines of empire.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 14, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm about halfway through Martha Wells' Witch King and it's really good so far.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Machineries of Empire is extremely good and is also very queer in a way that's quite different from TLT. Excellent books.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBl6sfWbA-Y

And on an unrelated note, hi thread. While you all have acknowledged the divinity of Jod, do you have time to talk about our lord and savior Gesus Christ?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

TasogareNoKagi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBl6sfWbA-Y

And on an unrelated note, hi thread. While you all have acknowledged the divinity of Jod, do you have time to talk about our lord and savior Gesus Christ?

Holy poo poo this is excellent! I love that they added sound effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Thats very good, maybe a few to many pauses for dramatic effect. In my head I always picture it happening faster than Quirk actually narrates it, because real sword fights are rapid.