Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Never finished Boardwalk but the first three seasons or so were dope

Babylon Berlin is another good interwar era noir series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

weird how i didnt realize until just this moment that boardwalk empire is a historical show somehow its never been described to me in such a way to make it sound like one

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

boardwalk empire suffered from the main character being the least interesting part of the story

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

hey let's make a series about a guy whose main contribution to organized crime was hosting the conference where the national crime syndicate was established, but we're gonna skip over that due to a forced time lapse between seasons so we can wrap up a limp revenge plot related to a fictional character who got written out of the show early on because the actor was a jerk

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I started watching Warrior and this show owns.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

New How To with John Wilson is really good, just amazing stuff.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's The Lady Or The Tiger, which is quite a classic bit. Though that kind of ambiguity is definitely also valid, it's different from how the original story goes- the king is fond of playing his game show (complete with live audience) where a condemned captive is offered two doors to open- behind one is the man-eating tiger, behind the other is a beautiful woman who will immediately become his wife. The drama there is the princess is watching and knows that either way, he'll be lost to her forever, and wondering if she'd rather see him live on without her, or die.

Thank you and you're right that's a great story, I'm gonna find it. Seems like Friedkin just screwed up the story a little in his retelling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

yup

it was fine, better than expected honestly but just fine. basically the penultimate digital entertainment equivalent of soylent

and that's perfectly a-ok. sometimes you just need a couple hours of fine slop

the penultimate form...no one is prepared for what's next

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

the penultimate form...no one is prepared for what's next

marvel cinematic marioverse...? luigi teams up with captain america to defeat multiverse thanos and evil iron man, and plucky waluigi changes sides at the last minute to Team Good and saves the day proving everyone is redeemably good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lola was pretty fun, give it a shot. It's under 90 minutes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

New How To with John Wilson is really good, just amazing stuff.

Thank you and you're right that's a great story, I'm gonna find it. Seems like Friedkin just screwed up the story a little in his retelling.

People do that a lot, especially in second or third hand retellings of childhood stuff. Thing is, it's still the same theme; that the dilemma presented is more interesting in itself than having it answered, because we can probably tell how it's going to go either way. Audiences aren't that stupid, except the rationalism brained nerds who don't understand that stories are fiction.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

blimey oi mate tommy gun fish n chips bang bang

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The actress who plays Brooke in The Other Two has like Jim Carrey ability to make faces, she is a living cartoon

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Watched the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm not familiar with the franchise so it's nice to finally be able to tell the turtles apart. My friend who is a HS teacher here in Atlanta said they were extremely well-depicted teens.

It was fine. Possibly pretty good. I liked the animation style. There's a scene where New Yorkers start hucking their poo poo out of their windows at the Godzilla-sized villain and that did get a laugh out of me.

Jackie Chan as Splinter is pretty inspired casting

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Doc Fission posted:

Watched the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm not familiar with the franchise so it's nice to finally be able to tell the turtles apart. My friend who is a HS teacher here in Atlanta said they were extremely well-depicted teens.

It was fine. Possibly pretty good. I liked the animation style. There's a scene where New Yorkers start hucking their poo poo out of their windows at the Godzilla-sized villain and that did get a laugh out of me.

how much time did they spend on the origin story

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

how much time did they spend on the origin story

They definitely Tell It but it's pretty good and also there are elements of it that are central to the A-plot. I don't know how a long-time TMNT fan would feel but I thought it was helpful and didn't feel belabored.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Doc Fission posted:

i took my nephew recently. he liked it more than the new Spiderman

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1690564721328500736?t=rcA9nAdAoaxxTqXMNKm_lg&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Doc Fission posted:

yeah as someone who is a Turtle Guy I really enjoyed it, I'd say it's the tier below Spiderverse 1 but still very good. I'm glad more cartoons nowadays are getting away from super clean and crisp animation, the style here was very effective. the Turtles were so good together that any time they went away from just the four of them hanging out it slowed the movie down, and a little too much April (although she did have a couple amazing moments). too many villains too but Cube was fuckin amazing as Super Fly, and the gratuitous use of Ante Up was amazing. another movie with a lot of 90s/00s New York bangers where it makes sense, love it

it was the first Turtles thing I've seen where they actually felt like teenagers. I hope it gets a sequel

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I picked up the hardcover TMNT The Last Ronin on sale a few days ago and it was a good, quick read.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
oh also there's a scene in TMNT that I always appreciate which is when they make fun of the way New Yorkers talk, it's an accent and manner of speaking at least as comical as any southern or midwestern dialect but doesn't get nearly the play

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you think wisconsin accents get more media representation than NYC??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

For the pompous, self-righteous, amateur music critics who are taking pleasure in bashing everything Jimmy Buffett, your categorical dismissal of his musical legacy is founded in your unfamiliarity with anything older than YouTube, and the recency bias of each successive generation. Buffett has written and recorded hundreds of songs and dozens of albums, most with beautiful songs about life, love, nature, philosophy and other high concepts. He recorded only a few "novelty" songs, some of which were his biggest hits, and that his fans demand to hear every time he performs. Rather than dismissing his fans' wishes as many "serious" artists often do, he accommodates them with joy, and they love him for it. They also get to hear his best songs, and they love those, too. His first radio hit was "Come Monday," which was a legendary recording that sold 5 million copies and was chosen by Rolling Stone as one of the 100 greatest songs ever recorded. Once, when Bob Dylan was asked about what other song writers he admires, the first name that came to his mind was Jimmy Buffett. Buffett's restaurants will flourish long after he departs this world, as will his musical legacy. Many other artists would love to leave such a mark on this world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does Jimmy Buffet have non-novelty songs?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i say swears online posted:

For the pompous, self-righteous, amateur music critics who are taking pleasure in bashing everything Jimmy Buffett, your categorical dismissal of his musical legacy is founded in your unfamiliarity with anything older than YouTube, and the recency bias of each successive generation. Buffett has written and recorded hundreds of songs and dozens of albums, most with beautiful songs about life, love, nature, philosophy and other high concepts. He recorded only a few "novelty" songs, some of which were his biggest hits, and that his fans demand to hear every time he performs. Rather than dismissing his fans' wishes as many "serious" artists often do, he accommodates them with joy, and they love him for it. They also get to hear his best songs, and they love those, too. His first radio hit was "Come Monday," which was a legendary recording that sold 5 million copies and was chosen by Rolling Stone as one of the 100 greatest songs ever recorded. Once, when Bob Dylan was asked about what other song writers he admires, the first name that came to his mind was Jimmy Buffett. Buffett's restaurants will flourish long after he departs this world, as will his musical legacy. Many other artists would love to leave such a mark on this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPn33kAtdLU

:rip: bill

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Probayashi/status/1690402695163842560?t=0aVZ6rJuE5FqZHgStVJ7Xw&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that french production of three musketeers from earlier this year is up on the bad sites, gonna watch it this afternoon

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jimmy Buffett lives near Boca Raton, the water is terrible and brackish like the hearts of every resident in that poo poo hole.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

you think wisconsin accents get more media representation than NYC??

Wisconsin accents are made fun of or included for comedy reasons much more often. people from New York talk funny

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

Wisconsin accents are made fun of or included for comedy reasons much more often. people from New York talk funny

rip pennsylvania

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

nobody likes a german accent

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:same:

Jimmy Buffett is an accomplished singer-songwriter and gets overlooked as the cheeseburger margarita island guy. He also markets himself well. His restaurant kinda sucks though. So does Landshark. His brand may outlive him, but it won't outlive the boomers.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

who the fuc is jimmy buffett

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Popy posted:

who the fuc is jimmy buffett

the cheeseburger margarita island guy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I prefer pina coladaberg

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Jimmy Buffett's restaurants will only outlive him if he dies in the next two years

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i watched cobra this morning

for a movie with such a sick looking cover it kind of sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

saw Sorcerer. great opening cool set pieces but kinda meh ending