Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Diet Poison posted:

Thanks for the recs, I've filed them away in my secure filing system aka the back of a dog-of-the-day calendar page and placed beside my laptop for future research.
I got a very similar system for notes lol

Diet Poison posted:

I do use a glass file which I'm quite happy with in terms of being able to make my nub marks as smooth as the dickens but they don't seem to do poo poo for getting rid of white marks any bigger than a pinprick. Do you get better results doing multiple passes from low to high? I read these are basically stress marks that go into the plastic so filing isn't really gonna do poo poo if the mark is in the flat part itself.
This is a tricky subject tbh. It's also why I said that I'm only judging by the one picture which means I can be wrong. The easiest solution is to prevent marks in the first place by using better nippers but we already got that covered. I think the crucial thing with white stress marks is how deep they go. If they're just surface you can sometimes rub them away with your finger nail. Even somewhat deeper marks can be sanded away if you start with a very rough grit to shave off enough material and then gradually buff it out with finer grits. You obviously don't want to destroy the shape of the part but you can often take away quite a bit without it showing in the end. This can work since the injection spots have a higher and darker concentration of pigment below the surface than the rest of the part. Though if the mark is too deep or crawls away from the injection spot then you're kinda boned and need to cover it with paint in most cases. A lot of ifs and buts depending on the situation :argh:

Personally I like to use glass files as the first tool and then finish with some pads. That's mainly due to my files being very high grit (10k+) which ends up with a glossy finish which is not what I want. Glass files are almost eternal so I like them to do the heavy lifting and put less wear on my pads. My usual route is the double snip into glass file and if the spot looks good enough to me I buff it out with a 1.5k, 2k, and 2.5k pad. On parts where the spot doesn't look good enough or is too tricky to reach with a file I usually start with a 800 or 1k pad and then work my way up to 2.5k again. Might be more than truly necessary but it works for me :v:

Diet Poison posted:

Honestly I just keep telling myself I'm gonna come back and paint all these guys eventually which is why I'm not too fussed about little imperfections as long as I'm not gouging out the plastic. It's why I also don't usually apply the stickers, on master grades anyway. I mean, I'm never actually going to, but I tell myself I will.
Mostly in the same boat. I mean I do enjoy finishing with a clean build a lot so I may be a little too stubborn when it comes to that. But I'm also planning on painting my kits over time and don't mind if it takes me the next five or so years to get it done. I guess doing clean builds is the insurance for when it turns out I've been lying to myself about all the painting. I'm currently finishing up one paint job though so hey I'm not completely full of poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I have a bunch of backlogust submissions backed up (apologies). These are all built, decaled and panel lined but I'll take finished pictures for the rest once I fix my airbrush and decide on the topcoat.

HG Blue Destiny Unit 2 EXAM

HG Gyan

HG Death Army

MG F91

HG Lfrith Ur

And finally MG Mobile Ginn...

...which I have a completed picture for

As you can tell, I have too many gundams, an accommodating time of the work year, and a value on any sort of external motivation.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Nullkigan posted:

The Windam, Leo, and maybe Graze are all meant to be pretty good and recent-ish grunt kits as well. Not quite the no-stickers level of the Dagger, but the Windam at least only really uses them for the highlights on the shield and backpack.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've only built the Heavy Zowort myself, but there haven't really been any dud kits (aside from sales-wise) in the line.

Thanks for the recs! I can vouch for all of the Dilanzas, the Heavy Zowort, and the standard Heindree from GWitch, they're all great! I will see if my local store has that bunyip. I did the Nyuren from that line and it was pretty fun.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Dreqqus posted:

Thanks for the recs! I can vouch for all of the Dilanzas, the Heavy Zowort, and the standard Heindree from GWitch, they're all great! I will see if my local store has that bunyip. I did the Nyuren from that line and it was pretty fun.

The bunyip boomerang is awesome and sits on my desk

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

BisbyWorl posted:

One more HG, then an RG I've had in my backlog for like a full year now, and then I'm done.

Almost done!

I do find it interesting to do all these HGs in a row and see the same PC runner in each one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dreqqus posted:

I just did a Heindree and I can confidently state that that's a fun build yielding a kit that has good poseability and a unique look. It's in the upper tier for HG kits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nullkigan posted:

The Windam, Leo, and maybe Graze are all meant to be pretty good and recent-ish grunt kits as well. Not quite the no-stickers level of the Dagger, but the Windam at least only really uses them for the highlights on the shield and backpack.

The Graze only has them for the eyes and Ahab reactor wheels, so it's pretty light. For IBO I'd also recommend the IO Frame Shiden. It only has eye stickers, comes with a decent assortment of weapons (Shield, buckler, gun, partisan), and is pretty cheap when you find a fresh run.

The catch is, it's reprinted much less often than the Graze, so it tends to be more expensive or harder to get.

For an upcoming kit, the Doan's Island GM looks great. Tons of gear, good movement, good detail.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

And finally:

A grenade.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Hi!

This is probably one of the best MG kits I've put together. And is most certainly the cutest by far.

I love the little diorama stand, and the water effect pieces.

It comes with the kids from White Base. Lalah and car for scale

Next up, a very partially completed HG Zeta 2.0 (I've only built the torso and the weapons.)

And this kit, which is only four sprues. (and a bunch of waterslides but I probably won't be bothering with those.)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tergaso posted:

Hi!

This is probably one of the best MG kits I've put together. And is most certainly the cutest by far.

It’s amazing how great it is for a kit made in 2005. I, personally, need it in PG form but I am also an Acguy super fan.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tergaso posted:

Hi!

I already loved the HG kit and this is pretty much the only MG I truly want to get. Thx for showing it off!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

BisbyWorl posted:

And finally:

A grenade.

hey gently caress the zeta i just lost one of the little bits that holds the leg in place

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tin Tim posted:

I already loved the HG kit and this is pretty much the only MG I truly want to get. Thx for showing it off!

Be sure to check out the dalong review for a bunch more poses and other fun times: http://www.dalong.net/reviews/mg/m84/m84_p.htm

It's clear that almost everyone who has built the MG has had a great time with it. The only major drawback that really stands out against modern kits (that I can remember) is that the claw hand requires a screw and a spring (that are both provided) to fully work. It's not a full-plastic kit. I honestly don't remember if it has polycaps or not.

But, yeah, the arms are self-telescoping (not a parts former!), the propellors on the bottom of the feet spin, the jets on the back can change angle, iirc, the head has lots of articulation, the legs are very posable, and it has a low-ish center of gravity with flexible legs so you can really pose it in a bunch of positions.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

BisbyWorl posted:

hey gently caress the zeta i just lost one of the little bits that holds the leg in place

Okay yeah I'm scrapping the Zeta. Several fiddly parts have gone flying into the aether, both arms have very noticeable stress marks, and the entire thing is just way too fiddly for me to enjoy making.

Oh well, at least I got those HGs out of the way.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The RG Zeta sure is Something yeah.

How was the recent Zeta ver Ka, now that I think about it?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ibblebibble posted:

The RG Zeta sure is Something yeah.

How was the recent Zeta ver Ka, now that I think about it?

RG Zeta is "I'm gonna take my time" project. Not a Backlogust speed build. (I have a P-Bandai RG Zeta waiting....)

Edit: The Zeta ver.Ka is nice. It lacks a lot of surface detail I'd expect in a ver.Ka. But it's a easy, solid, build. I like mine. While the hips are funky on the RG, the MG's tricky bit is the upper chest. I like it. It's not my favorite MG. I'm not sure what my favorite MG is right now, probally one I haven't built yet. Kyrios is way up there. (Speaking of transforming Mg.)

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 11, 2023

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Zeta ver Ka is a nice boy. Probably as solid as you can make a properly-transforming kit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'll defend the RG Zeta until the end of time for its sheer majesty, but yes, it is very much the epitome of "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

This was a really fun build, I'm astonished it's as solid as it is

Next up is the MG Gouf 2.0!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

chrome line posted:

This was a really fun build, I'm astonished it's as solid as it is

The RG EVA kits are amazing. They're fun to build, hold together well, pose well, and look great. Building the torso really gives you a humanoid-not-human vibe in the proportions.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mllaneza posted:

The RG EVA kits are amazing. They're fun to build, hold together well, pose well, and look great. Building the torso really gives you a humanoid-not-human vibe in the proportions.

They seem to be increasingly more difficult to find. Has the license ran out?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Asteroid Alert posted:

They seem to be increasingly more difficult to find. Has the license ran out?

They've been hard to find before, I think they're just very popular but don't get super high priority in reprints because there isn't an ongoing Evangelion anime or the like now.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im amazed how easy they are to balance. Never felt like I'd have to attach to the a stand.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If you can get the glow in the dark Unit 01, it's really awesome.

Edit - adding example pics.

Lights on

Lights off

Azubah fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 11, 2023

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Azubah posted:

it was p-bandai and has been out of print for like two years but i have one and can confirm it is awesome

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is the final coating left by Tamiya Acrylic and Tamiya Lacquer LP substantially similar in that they’re polymerized acrylic films holding a pigment? Same question going between GSI/Creos Aqueous and Mr. Color lines?

I know there’s a lot behind this regarding compatibility, thinning, solvency, etc. I’m just struggling to define what the Tamiya LP and Mr Color films wind up being after curing, I guess. I will probably still wind up doing a bunch of testing, I just think if I could broadly answer this question it might help me understand and inform further tests/decisions with less failures.

Basically asking in the broadest possible terms so don’t feel the need to write a doctoral thesis with all the caveats. I understand there can still be quality differences between the final films (adhesion/toughness etc), but like chemically are they just colored acrylic? Maybe the answer is that the lacquer-vehicle lines feature different acrylic formulas, as I understand it’s a class of polymers as opposed to a specific chemical formula.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm still working on painting it because there's a ton of parts but I'm enjoying the EVA-01 build for sure, have the chest together and the legs painted and everything else snipped out so I'm hoping I'll be done early next week, happy with how the colors turn out and I think it'll look pretty nice once it's done. Think this one will mostly be on the platform it comes with (painting the weapons and other hands just in case I change my mind) but with the other Eva models I'm excited to pose them. Love that it even comes with a little entry plug to put in the model even though I will almost definitely never see it again now that it's there.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Scrapped building the offbrand Zaku at the moment since I didn't properly sand down a tight joint and broke it.

Going with a non-Gundam grunt

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
I finished my expansion set for Daggers L/Windams.
They're big. Especially the "Multi-Launcher Pack" which only holds one missile? There's a cool little part of the construction where you can push the oval tabs on the top or bottom to fire out the missile.

The double cannons are longer than the MS, I really expected these to be closer to a guncannon's shoulder cannons. (Strike Dagger for scale.)

Put my dusty Action 5 Base to good use, these are really begging for a base, they can stand on their own with these big rear end weapons but it's a little precarious.

The set came with waterslides, which I expected to only be for the weapons, but most of them are for a Dagger L and a Windam kit, might practice on those. I've never worked with waterslide decals and I'm worried that I'll screw up.

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.

Azubah posted:

Seconding this ^^ It looks better in the light and fun in the dark, it's the night combat color version

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

Got that done too.

The forearm extenders are a little weird, and I'm not sure the red marking stickers really work on the green segments, but it's still pretty cool.

Vayeate and Mercurius set up next.

Vayeate and Mercurius were fun, I think they mostly used the Leo frame? Very simple assembly, even when you're building four arms at a time or something.

I wish the backpack wasn't so hollow but the gun is pretty nice.

Gundam Geminass is up next.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Tergaso posted:

Hi!

It also has one of the most detailed, coolest-looking inner frames in the entire line:

[

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah it's great! The HG also has some cool inner frame details and that honestly impressed me on such an old kit.

Most people will probably never again remove the armor but it's there for those that want it. Such a nice way of going the extra mile by the designers.

Now give me the thunderbolt acguy with all the equipment options :qq:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 13, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tergaso posted:

I finished my expansion set for Daggers L/Windams.
They're big. Especially the "Multi-Launcher Pack" which only holds one missile? There's a cool little part of the construction where you can push the oval tabs on the top or bottom to fire out the missile.

If memory serves the single missile is a nuclear colony killer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

here's a surprising Gunpla-related development

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarycomics/gundam-battlogue?ref=clipboard-prelaunch

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I won a Dubai ambassador Gundam from the youtuber zakuaurelius so I’m gonna do this one as my first build of the month

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 13, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I hope everybody else is also looking at the cyborg eye and making the noise to themselves.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Aaaand we're done with the aerial.

Decals were nice and it was a breeze to panel line. Definitely feels like a modern kit.

Next up:

RG Justice Gundam

This was an ok build, but a pain to keep together when starting to pose. Flimsy parts and the backpack part necessitates the action base to have it displayed somewhat potently.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Asteroid Alert posted:

This was an ok build, but a pain to keep together when starting to pose. Flimsy parts and the backpack part necessitates the action base to have it displayed somewhat potently.

I have built that kit 4 times now.

.. it says something that the backpack comes with a kickstand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I'm trying some weird poo poo with the remainder of the Daban Astray kit I got. Kitbashing the big arms with a 1/100 TR-6 Woundwort kit I've had built but in storage for a while.

Got it roughed together fairly well, the arms are set into part of how they would be displayed in the Daban kit's instructions, then the whole assembly hooks into the Woundwort's drum frame. Should be fun to mess with.