Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Is there an existing thread for Military/War novels? If not, does anyone have some recommendations for decent books in the genre? Ideally naval, WW2 onwards, well written and on the realistic side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

No thread like that comes to mind but there is one in the scholars fair https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034132&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

No thread like that comes to mind but there is one in the scholars fair https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034132&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Many thanks!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I think I own enough books to start a small library... Does anyone know of an iOS App that keeps track of books you own, and maybe if you lend them to someone?

I thought about giving some away, but maybe it would be better to lend them, so people feel some pressure to actually read them, not just take them and hoard them. Like me

Also just curious, does anyone own Encyclopedias? Like the Britannica. What do you do with those once you've read them ? (if you've ever opened them). Keep them for background in photos where you need to look fancy ?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i used to love reading encyclopedias as a weird child. as a weird adult i have too many books so i keep some weird dictionaries but not any encyclopedias

idk what you do with a multi volume encyclopedia now. its basically worthless and probably that exact edition is scanned and online. giving it to poorer people would be an insult. building insulation maybe?

oh maybe wrap it in non-acidic paper & plastic and bury it shallowly as a highly esteemed deed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I think I own enough books to start a small library... Does anyone know of an iOS App that keeps track of books you own, and maybe if you lend them to someone?

I thought about giving some away, but maybe it would be better to lend them, so people feel some pressure to actually read them, not just take them and hoard them. Like me

Also just curious, does anyone own Encyclopedias? Like the Britannica. What do you do with those once you've read them ? (if you've ever opened them). Keep them for background in photos where you need to look fancy ?

Goodreads, for all its faults, is actually really good at tracking what you're reading, and since you can create custom "shelves" (categories) you could easily tag them as "on-loan" or "at-home".

I don't own an encyclopedia, but my parents did, and Dad's favorite thing to do with it was demand that us kids read it and answer questions about what we read. :sigh: I appreciate his desire for us to learn, but that was not the way.

e: We had two sets, Brittanica and this one! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton%27s_Encyclopedia

This fucker had questions in the text and you bet Dad was all over those.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That... seems a great way to turn a kid off of reading and learning. All I had as kid was Compton's and World Book on CD rom, and you better believe I clicked around in those. World Book even had video clips in addition to the text!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

That... seems a great way to turn a kid off of reading and learning. All I had as kid was Compton's and World Book on CD rom, and you better believe I clicked around in those. World Book even had video clips in addition to the text!

Despite Dad's efforts (:v:) I fortunately turned into a sponge for information, as did my brother. I read nonfiction on the regular and enjoy cruising wikipedia.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LibraryThing supports lending functionality, distinct catalogues, etc. It seems like a pretty good free option for something like this.

e: depending what your living situation is like I also recommend putting up a little library in your front yard if you can. We put one up when we bought our place a couple years ago and it gets a ton of traffic. Good place to dump stuff I’ve already read, but also to get stuff i want once in a while. I was real clear to write “want a book, take a book” on the side. It doesn’t need to be a trading thing if you don’t want it to be.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 5, 2023

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

LibraryThing supports lending functionality, distinct catalogues, etc. It seems like a pretty good free option for something like this.

This is what I use, didn’t even realize it went free a couple of years ago. Here’s the announcement about it:
https://blog.librarything.com/2020/03/librarything-goes-free/

Really great for avoiding buying duplicates, I can check my library while I’m in the bookstore.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

idk what you do with a multi volume encyclopedia now. its basically worthless and probably that exact edition is scanned and online. giving it to poorer people would be an insult. building insulation maybe?

oh maybe wrap it in non-acidic paper & plastic and bury it shallowly as a highly esteemed deed

These are definitely not worthless unless they’re like 50 years old. Maybe see if there’s a local teacher’s Facebook group.

Lots of school libraries will have need for encyclopedias, and classrooms benefit from them as well since grabbing a book is way less of a todo than grabbing a laptop, booting, realizing this one’s dead, returning the laptop and grabbing another one, forgetting password, checking the super secret binder of passwords, logging in, forget the original question, reflexively YouTube and watch some people play Minecraft while they talk about how cool andrew Tate is

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"strix finish what you're currently reading first" no, my birthday was a few weeks ago and I decided to treat myself, damnit! And now my books are here!

I don't know if I believe in occult stuff, but drat if it isn't cool to read about :toot:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

"strix finish what you're currently reading first" no, my birthday was a few weeks ago and I decided to treat myself, damnit! And now my books are here!

I don't know if I believe in occult stuff, but drat if it isn't cool to read about :toot:

Those SKP Plantagenet books are good reads, not sure about some of the accuracy but decent reads as historical fiction.

That's the Richard II one right? i think it's the best of them, haven't read it in probably 15 years but might have to find my old copy

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hell yeah, I'm having fun with occult lit atm too

^Viridarium Umbris - The Pleasure Garden of Shadow by Daniel A. Schulke

Market description posted:

As a grimoire of Spiritual Botany, the Book is a Hortus Conclusus of text and image intended for the indwelling of these plant-spirits. The work encompasses magical practices, formulae, and mystical exegesis, all treating the respective arcana of Nature-Spirits and the powers of individual plants. Magical foci are on devotion, purity, humility, silence, solitude, and the hieros-gamos of wortcunner and plant as a tutelary relationship, in conjunction with the Mysteries of Cain, first tiller of the soil. The whole is intended as a textual reification of occult herbalism within the context of the Sabbatic Craft Tradition.

Dude homebrewed his own magic theory as an offshoot of Sabbatic practices. in 2005

You would think they don't make them like this anymore, but they most certainly do

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

branedotorg posted:

Those SKP Plantagenet books are good reads, not sure about some of the accuracy but decent reads as historical fiction.

That's the Richard II one right? i think it's the best of them, haven't read it in probably 15 years but might have to find my old copy

Richard the 3rd, of Shakespeare fame!

I’m not too concerned with historical accuracy for historical fiction- like, it’s great if it is, but I’m reading it to use storytelling to get myself invested in the era/place/people, which then helps spur reading nonfiction - which is often much drier!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ramie posted:

Hell yeah, I'm having fun with occult lit atm too

^Viridarium Umbris - The Pleasure Garden of Shadow by Daniel A. Schulke

Dude homebrewed his own magic theory as an offshoot of Sabbatic practices. in 2005

You would think they don't make them like this anymore, but they most certainly do

Oh my gosh I want this, I love plant magic and it’d be great flavoring for a solo rpg.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How many leechbooks you all on

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Currently none but I did read LIBER HIRUDO: The Book of the Leech .

quote:

This is a functioning grimoire to lend the practictioner the ability to become, through rites and diligence, the vampire of olde legend.

It's not very good. There's sections on "Rites of Sekhmet and the Writhers in Agony", and on "Birthing Strong Servitors through Sex magicks", which is kind of funny I guess?

There's also Bald's Leechbook, but curiously that does not feature any leeches at all, and is also a few centuries old

edit:

I love vampirists or whatever they call themselves

Ramie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 14, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
balds is the one i was thinking of. unrelated I pulled a bunch of info for dit da jow and made it and it worked! didn't actually write down what i put into it tho. probably trying to carefully translate some ole bs is out of my reach these days.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Richard the 3rd, of Shakespeare fame!

I’m not too concerned with historical accuracy for historical fiction- like, it’s great if it is, but I’m reading it to use storytelling to get myself invested in the era/place/people, which then helps spur reading nonfiction - which is often much drier!

Yeah that was my typo, Richard III, scoin of York, princes in the tower etc.

If you're interested they found his body a few years ago, under a council car park, there is some interesting stuff about how they figured out where he was buried

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
We finally got the big bookshelves all set up and supported, and loaded with my RPG collection. Thanks for all the advice!

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 18, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

^^shelves turned out p nice, lets hope they hold up lol^^

tuyop posted:

These are definitely not worthless unless they’re like 50 years old. Maybe see if there’s a local teacher’s Facebook group.

Lots of school libraries will have need for encyclopedias, and classrooms benefit from them as well since grabbing a book is way less of a todo than grabbing a laptop, booting, realizing this one’s dead, returning the laptop and grabbing another one, forgetting password, checking the super secret binder of passwords, logging in, forget the original question, reflexively YouTube and watch some people play Minecraft while they talk about how cool andrew Tate is

fwiw im in denmark & even in my genealogical society (hella greybeards), nobody wants a free multivolume encyclopedia, theyre all trying to get rid of them too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I know it doesn't really matter given the scales involved, but the emotional labor I just went through, going between "do I buy this book from a local store, somewhere like bookshop.org, or amazon?" and I really don't want to make the time/energy for a trip to the store, bookshop had it cost like 10$ more and with slower shipping, and while amazon is the worst choice, if I leave a positive review there it can create more revenue/better rankings for the book in the long run, which helps the author.

Can't win for losing. Except that I am getting the book I ordered tomorrow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know it doesn't really matter given the scales involved, but the emotional labor I just went through, going between "do I buy this book from a local store, somewhere like bookshop.org, or amazon?" and I really don't want to make the time/energy for a trip to the store, bookshop had it cost like 10$ more and with slower shipping, and while amazon is the worst choice, if I leave a positive review there it can create more revenue/better rankings for the book in the long run, which helps the author.

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

I know, but I like to try to minimize the harm I do. sighs.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I get it for sure. I'm just lucky my local Indy bookstore is just a block away

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just pirate them or go to the library, unless it's one of those really small publishers

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you're really worried just buy it from wherever and send the author $5 directly

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
edit: wrong thread

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
currently bouncing between Delaney's "Driftglass" and Murdoch's "The Sea, The Sea". I got The Sea from a buddy for my birthday that he admitted he picked out randomly but the introduction has pulled me in. It's right up my alley, and it sounds like a lot of Murdoch's books would be. Anyone else read it? I'm only about 20 pages in past the intro thus far but I like it a lot.

as for driftglass I find it interesting that Delaney predicted chasers like 40 years before it would become relevant(or maybe it was always relevant, and I just know nothing, but its funny reading that poo poo and being like "oh lmao I know a guy whose like the Frelks in this story")

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Local bookstore is having a back to school sale, what books do I need to get?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

matias enard, if you haven’t read him already

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

BotM vote is neck and neck! Only a couple more days to get your choices in

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Sorry my vote kept it that way.

MisterBear posted:

Is there an existing thread for Military/War novels? If not, does anyone have some recommendations for decent books in the genre? Ideally naval, WW2 onwards, well written and on the realistic side.

It's been a few weeks but I've been quite enjoying Bomber by Len Deighton, which tells the story of a single bombing raid on June 31, 1943.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

FPyat posted:

Sorry my vote kept it that way.

It's been a few weeks but I've been quite enjoying Bomber by Len Deighton, which tells the story of a single bombing raid on June 31, 1943.

Remember reading that and fighter years ago, both pretty good narrative stuff.

My favourite work of his though will always be his cookstrips/action cookbook

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to be vaguely annoying and shill this place again:

https://standardebooks.org/ebooks

quote:

Standard Ebooks is a volunteer-driven project that produces new editions of public domain ebooks that are lovingly formatted, open source, free of U.S. copyright restrictions, and free of cost.

Ebook projects like Project Gutenberg transcribe ebooks and make them available for the widest number of reading devices. Standard Ebooks takes ebooks from sources like Project Gutenberg, formats and typesets them using a carefully designed and professional-grade style manual, fully proofreads and corrects them, and then builds them to create a new edition that takes advantage of state-of-the-art ereader and browser technology.

Standard Ebooks aren’t just a beautiful addition to your digital library—they’re a high quality standard to build your own ebooks on.

Being able to read stuff like Sherlock Holmes or Andre Norton's works or Ray Bradbury or the King in Yellow for free in nice formatting is really nice!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Guys I have a big thick copy of the Ingoldsby Legends illustrated by Arthur Rackham

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Anyone know good/entertaining book podcasts or YouTubes?

Like the DLC podcast but for books

I got into the Brandon Sanderson podcast and he’s interesting, surprisingly wide amount of subjects (including depression), but not exactly book focused

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Anyone know good/entertaining book podcasts or YouTubes?

Like the DLC podcast but for books

I got into the Brandon Sanderson podcast and he’s interesting, surprisingly wide amount of subjects (including depression), but not exactly book focused

I Don’t Even Own A Television has the dubious distinction of being goonmade and is also now over, but has 174ish episodes about bad books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Marooned! On Mars with Matt and Hillary is two professors chilling and talking about science fiction, mostly Kim Stanley Robinson's books but also various movies they've been watching.