Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Denji getting depressed and burned out on everyone being weird and secretive about their motivations is actually the perfect catalyst for finding the Blood Devil and the return of Power, who is Denji’s soul mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Denji is gonna find Power and then they're just gonna Goodbye, Eri this poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Explode a hospital? Sounds about right.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She and Reze are busy making wedding plans.

This. This is the spinoff I want.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is one of Nostradamus' prophesied signs of the Apocalypse Denji being the only rational person on Earth?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

halloween

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

AnoHito posted:

I hope they give zero explanation for it ever.

That would be very Fujimoto honestly

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am hoping that Sword Man has different powers from Katana Man.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Flair posted:

I am hoping that Sword Man has different powers from Katana Man.

Probably some sorta downside seeing as he's a double edged sword :haw:

I'm sorry...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cleaving whole buildings or something. Teleport slash is too Kurosawa to be anything but katana.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

is one of Nostradamus' prophesied signs of the Apocalypse Denji being the only rational person on Earth?

I mean, consider the last chapter. Denji's still batshit. It's just the current context that makes him look like the relative voice of sanity

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Chainsaw Man has undoubtedly made the world a wilder crazier place, they all got to watch him go ape poo poo so why wouldn't he suddenly seem more normal as the world twists towards being way more like his life used to be? There is no security only chaos and now everyone knows it for sure with the Chainsaw Man and Pretty Demon Girl wandering around solving poo poo with ease.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you're not a pretty girl or a cat you have much to fear from Chainsaw Man, he might eat you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

If you're not a pretty girl or a cat you have much to fear from Chainsaw Man, he might eat you.

Look, he'd never eat a cat!

...Attractive women, it was just the one time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why did Denji cook and eat makima while he was in human form instead of just downing her in a few bites as CSM as usual? I was reading that part kind of fast.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Wave posted:

Why did Denji cook and eat makima while he was in human form instead of just downing her in a few bites as CSM as usual? I was reading that part kind of fast.

I'm not sure if Denji is aware that CSM can erase things by eating the associated devil, and even if he was, erasing the concept of Control from humanity does not sound like a very good idea

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

well ripping off limbs and guzzling them down could be construed as an attack. lovingly preparing an 8 course meal is just art

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So his eating her was a completely separate mechanic that randomly worked and it happens to be identical to Chainsaw man's special mechanic? I feel ok for being confused.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Perhaps Denji was eating her to make sure Makima didn’t come back

Maybe not eating her as Chainsaw Man was to make sure Control didn’t get erased

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

No Wave posted:

So his eating her was a completely separate mechanic that randomly worked and it happens to be identical to Chainsaw man's special mechanic? I feel ok for being confused.

Probably not identical. The best explanation we get is from Denji and Kishibe's conversation at the end of Part 1, where they're unsure as to why they remember Makima and how Nayuta exists. Best theory anybody can come up with is that Denji doing it is less severe an "erasure" than Chainsaw Man proper, but still effective to some degree.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Denji didn't do ANY kind of erasure, what are you guys talking about???

Makima had this hideous ability where any perceived attack toward her reflected off onto another random person under her control which happened to be a lot of Japan, including the high ups. Denji cooking and eating her was a form of love, so it didn't count as an attack, so Denji was able to kill her pieces by pieces.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Marluxia posted:

Makima had this hideous ability where any perceived attack toward her reflected off onto another random person under her control which happened to be a lot of Japan, including the high ups. Denji cooking and eating her was a form of love, so it didn't count as an attack, so Denji was able to kill her pieces by pieces.

minor correction, that ability of makima’s was actually a term of her contract with the prime minister, so by taking advantage of that hierarchy every Japanese citizen was her unwitting meat shield

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marluxia posted:

Not just anyone under her control. She had a contract with the prime minister to shuffle attacks to any citizen of Japan.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

chiasaur11 posted:

Not just anyone under her control. She had a contract with the prime minister to shuffle attacks to any citizen of Japan.

the prime minister of japan is definitely some kind of devil right

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No being a politician just gives you power over the people, like when Trump sold the lifespans of all US citizens to send the Gun Devil to kill Makima.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
going to own all of the posters ITT so I can make contracts with devils on their behalf

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Last time someone tried that they were defeated by the Your Spine Is Made Out Of Fruit Gushers Devil

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

No being a politician just gives you power over the people, like when Trump sold the lifespans of all US citizens to send the Gun Devil to kill Makima.

Sounds like another Clinton cover-up to me! :crackping:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah denji's act only figuratively parallels the "chainsaw man eating things to eliminate them from existence" idea, they aren't the same thing on an in-universe level (until part 2 says it is). it's a singular act that unites all the running imagery about denji's hunger, food as imagery of stability or luxury (steak for breakfast!), and it pays off the first choice makima offers denji, to be killed by her or fed by her.

there's definitely space to explore the relationship in the narrative between the two acts of eating still (does chainsaw love nukes and war and outcomes besides death?), but imo the most important bit of the connection is that this moment culminates denji's arc by "becoming" chainsaw man (he literally does the chainsaw devil thing as a man, but transcends by managing to remember makima while destroying her), above any of the "is it the same thing in the fiction" stuff

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Valentin posted:

it pays off the first choice makima offers denji, to be killed by her or fed by her.

:distonk:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cephas posted:

the prime minister of japan is definitely some kind of devil right

I mean the entire point of that bit was "Politicians: Even worse than Devils"

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I have combined the powers of the world's wickedest devils to make the most evil creature of them all.

Turns out it’s man the Japanese Prime Minister

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Elite posted:

I have combined the powers of the world's wickedest devils to make the most evil creature of them all.

Turns out it’s man the Japanese Prime Minister

The only thing that can defeat him is the Homemade Firearm Devil

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Supremezero posted:

I mean the entire point of that bit was "Politicians: Even worse than Devils"

yeah but it'd be really funny if kishibe busted in to the diet building and it turned out the prime minister was baphomet

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

The only thing that can defeat him is the Homemade Firearm Devil

lol huh how bout that

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

In the end did that deal take effect I wonder? The Gun Devil would have to “kill” Makima to uphold its end of the bargain and get all that juicy lifespan. Now he did kill her, multiple times even, but the fact he kept trying instead of going “later losers” after that first headshot seems to imply the death had to stick for it to count. Or maybe each time he killed her he got yet another year of life span from everyone.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Both the US and Gun Devil (and lots of other peoples and governments) were probably well aware of Makima's "invincibility", so any contract that involved her death would include a kill-until-dead clause. Killing Makima is easy, any schmuck can do that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think you make a contract and pay the price regardlesa of whether the devil succeeds. Like, the agents sacrificed themselves to summon the Hell Devil to kill Makima and send her to hell, but it died as soon as it was summoned. Then the agent was like, "Don't loving die before you do your job." and gave it extra blood.

And then the Hell Devil sent Chainsaw Man to Hell instead. But it's not like the agents are gonna un-die cause the Hell Devil failed to kill Makima.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

galagazombie posted:

In the end did that deal take effect I wonder? The Gun Devil would have to “kill” Makima to uphold its end of the bargain and get all that juicy lifespan. Now he did kill her, multiple times even, but the fact he kept trying instead of going “later losers” after that first headshot seems to imply the death had to stick for it to count. Or maybe each time he killed her he got yet another year of life span from everyone.

He only got one kill, then Makima clobbered him hard enough in return to get him to run after Denji instead. The other deathsmentioned were earlier incidents.

Also, was thinking about Asa and Denji's ethical approaches lately, and it struck me that they're interestingly opposed. Not just in the Kim and Jimmy thing where Denji cares about people and Asa cares about rules (although Kim and Jimmy had amazing chemistry, while Denji and Asa... are Denji and Asa.) but in something tying into Fami's comment about Chainsaw Man's ignorance of right and wrong.

Denji isn't entirely without guilt, but he's mostly in tune with his conscience. As seen in his last talk with Reze, Denji knows what he feels he "should" do ("I'm not a murderer!") and does it, with rare exceptions (Aki and his dad most prominently). He's not exactly a good person, per se, but he is a man who listens to his conscience, and whose conscience rarely bothers him much in return.

Asa, meanwhile, is in a much worse state. She doesn't have much of an idea of what's right or wrong, but she's always feeling guilty about something. Heck, her superpowers come directly from feelings of guilt.

For overall approach, Aki and Yuko make for a great contrast here. Denji hated himself for killing Aki, and was sure there was something better he could have done... but he committed. He saw what he had to do, made a choice, and finished the job. Asa, meanwhile, only took down Yuko by accident and couldn't commit either way, either to saving her friend or to preventing a massacre.

And looking at Asa's dreams... I can't see this going anywhere happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So huh. Denji is fully aware of the other Chainsaw?

Or is he saying that as part of his pretend to be normal deal.