Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Vinylshadow posted:

Read a smidge of Stackpole and...ehh? Felt very dry to read

Skipped ahead to Wraith Squadron and enjoyed it immensely, and am in the process of devouring the next book

:allears:

All the Allston books are so fun. I just finished Mercy Kill and now I'm sad there's no more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Wraith Squadron trilogy and Starfighters of Adumar are the best books in the EU.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Picked up the 2017 Thrawn for $3 bucks, liking it so far. Only post Disney stuff I’ve read was Alphabet Squad and really loved that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the 2017 Thrawn was decent, not great, but the best of Zahn's new stuff and way better than the Galaxy's Edge tie-in sequel. I do think the comic version is better, though - the novel was kind of a basic story so not like a lot was lost in the condensation, and the art was pretty good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do wonder if Corran feeling like Stackpole's self-insert is overblown in my head.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

corran isn't really an insert, he's just a power fantasy character built as a runner-up to one of the film leads. luke's very own dash rendar. charitably, a surrogate character to provide a "luke in rogue squadron" protagonist for the series without the logistical problems of sticking luke back in the cockpit after he retired to be a jedi. less charitably, kyle katarn without the charm (except toward the otter ladies)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
On the other hand: when the old Star Wars CCG released a card featuring Corran Horn, guess who posed for the art?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jazerus posted:

less charitably, kyle katarn without the charm (except toward the otter ladies)

Speaking of which, AMCA on a recent episode broached the idea that given that so many nu-canon stories have borrowed stuff from the Dark Forces games (Kyle Katarn's outfit in Jedi Survivor, Dark Troopers, basically all of Rogue One) that Kyle is a fictional character in the nu-canon, like he's the composite character for the holodrama about stealing the Death Star plans because the story was too complicated/Mon Mothma wouldn't sign a release.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

On the other hand: when the old Star Wars CCG released a card featuring Corran Horn, guess who posed for the art?

That's why I thought that!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've got a signed copy of that same card but it's from the model portraying Mara

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Given the current strikes, the A More Civilized Age podcast has decided to pause its coverage of Rebels season 2, and instead start a dive into KOTOR, going in-depth world by world. Definitely looking forward to their exploration of that game! I keep meaning to replay KOTOR after over a decade since I've last played it, but alas, just finding the time now is tough.

Incidentally spoilers from early viewings of Ahsoka are starting to leak and though I won't really believe them until I actually see it, but one person who claimed to view it early dangled another EU nod in it beyond the Heir to the Empire stuff, that the villains are trying to rebuild an ancient dark side device called the Eye of Sion. Which if true... LOL that that's combining bits from one of the best EU stories and one of the worst.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Incidentally spoilers from early viewings of Ahsoka are starting to leak and though I won't really believe them until I actually see it, but one person who claimed to view it early dangled another EU nod in it beyond the Heir to the Empire stuff, that the villains are trying to rebuild an ancient dark side device called the Eye of Sion. Which if true... LOL that that's combining bits from one of the best EU stories and one of the worst.

Cross posting from the TV thread.

thrawn527 posted:

It would certainly appear that way. Ray Stevenson, at Celebration, said he took inspiration for his character from the Knights of the Round Table, who were often all on quests, and all believed they were right and just, but many were not. (Or something like that.)

My personal theory, via rumors that may be based on leaks so I'll spoil them just in case, is he wants to use time travel via The World Between Worlds, and Thrawn somehow, to restore the Empire, but better this time. Maybe with Anakin at the head of it instead of Palpatine. Maybe himself and Thrawn. But something like that. And Ahsoka will only use time travel to stop him, and they won't actually end up changing anything in timeline (e.g. erasing the ST).

howe_sam posted:

I don't think they'll remake Dial of Destiny, just with a different Mikkelson brother, but I dunno maybe.

lol they're totally doing that, aren't they?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That particularly sci-fi element is maybe my least favorite thing that's found its way into Star Wars. Really disliked it in the late EU, really dislike it in the modern animation, will probably dislike it in live action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really? The Eye of Sion? They're gonna make some evil Dark Side contraption named after the dude who sleeps with vibroblades and cares for nothing more than the strength of pain and it's a reference to his one busted eyeball?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

Really? The Eye of Sion? They're gonna make some evil Dark Side contraption named after the dude who sleeps with vibroblades and cares for nothing more than the strength of pain and it's a reference to his one busted eyeball?

More speculation talk based on possible Ahsoka leaks: Has Sion actually popped up in any way in the new canon? Like, I know someone at some point said the Old Republic stuff wasn't technically canon anymore, but they weren't touching it, so it might as well be canon until it's not. But I don't think he or any of those characters have actually shown up (outside of the Galaxy of Heroes mobile game which isn't canon to anything) in any new canon things. Sion may be something totally different now? Still weird to use that name then, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

More speculation talk based on possible Ahsoka leaks: Has Sion actually popped up in any way in the new canon? Like, I know someone at some point said the Old Republic stuff wasn't technically canon anymore, but they weren't touching it, so it might as well be canon until it's not. But I don't think he or any of those characters have actually shown up (outside of the Galaxy of Heroes mobile game which isn't canon to anything) in any new canon things. Sion may be something totally different now? Still weird to use that name then, though.

I think the canonicity of that time period depends on whether you consider cut concept art from TCW and Rebels to still be canon despite not going beyond the pre production phase.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A few details pop up here and there. Revan is canon via a visual dictionary, for example.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

I think the canonicity of that time period depends on whether you consider cut concept art from TCW and Rebels to still be canon despite not going beyond the pre production phase.

I think if it doesn't make it to an actual released product, it's not canon. Otherwise you'd have to start considering unreleased drafts of scripts canon, and everything gets crazy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Not strictly KOTOR, but Darth Bane popped up for an episode of Clone Wars, though I think that character originated with Lucas working out the prequel backstory. Some names from KOTOR stuff have popped up from time to time: I think the Qel-Droma named got dropped as an ancient Jedi at some point and the Rakatans were canonized in loving Andor of all places. But the character existing doesn't necessarily mean that they have to do the same thing as in Legends.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's one thing to reference an extinct alien species but if you're going to pull a named character for your callout you might as well be true to that character. Otherwise you get poo poo like the insanely dumb use of Eskel in the Witcher TV show where nobody was happy.

I really just don't see why, if that spoiler is true, you'd reference Sion of all people for an ancient sith device. Far as i remember he wasnt much of an inventor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it's one thing to reference an extinct alien species but if you're going to pull a named character for your callout you might as well be true to that character. Otherwise you get poo poo like the insanely dumb use of Eskel in the Witcher TV show where nobody was happy.

I really just don't see why, if that spoiler is true, you'd reference Sion of all people for an ancient sith device. Far as i remember he wasnt much of an inventor.

He only invented one thing. PAIN.

And typing that reminded me of the old "Ask a Jedi/Sith" threads we had on here, like, 10 years ago or something like that. Where people could ask Star Wars questions, and certain people would answer questions in character. And whoever was answering as Darth Nihilus would always answer in all caps. It would be something like, "What was the actual goal of the Sith Lords in KOTOR 2?" Nihilus: "TO EAT THE FORCE. NIHILUS DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONFUSION." Those were fun threads.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I am sorry but i kinda like the idea that corran is some goony looking dweeb who sorta looks and probably sounds like Wallace Shawn. Space wallace shawn who happens to be a cool bad rear end pilot cop who is also a jedi and also lays all the alien girls. Now i hear all of corrans lines in his voice. now you will too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Space Wallace Shawn is just Grand Nagus Zek.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Wallace Shawn as Zsinj. Exaggerated and overblown when acting like a clown, and in "My Dinner With Andre" mode when not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arc Hammer posted:

Space Wallace Shawn is just Grand Nagus Zek.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wallace Shawn as Zsinj. Exaggerated and overblown when acting like a clown, and in "My Dinner With Andre" mode when not.

sure but i just love the idea that corran horn is wallace shawn, , same stupid mary sue bullshit, same action same etc, except its wallace shawn with x wing helmet on swinging a lightsaber while having sex with like aliens or whatever.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If he wasn’t already the glorious Captain Bombardier, I’d consider Jack Black as Zsinj.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nothing to do with Star Wars, but I need to use this excuse to post the greatest Wallace Shawn reading of any movie he's been in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYiLDKXnONk

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

fartknocker posted:

If he wasn’t already the glorious Captain Bombardier, I’d consider Jack Black as Zsinj.

Zsinj has used assumed names plenty of times, so...nothing's stopping them from making that a reality

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my favourite star wars books are the many fanfics on ao3

i'm honestly surprised to do some backreading in this thread and discover that they sort of soft-rebooted the Jedi Apprentice stuff, given how wildly popular it is as a basis for everyone on the internet that wants obi-wan and jango fett to kiss each other. i figured that was one of the areas that was going to languish in eternal legends purgatory since filoni and his associates don't seem like they want to do anything more with obi-wan.

on a vaguely similar note, does anyone have opinions on the Queen's novels? i saw an offhand mention of the author having bad takes on the anakin/padme relationship but it seems like what people really want out of those two is for anakin to go to therapy, so i'm curious about what the official post-disney stuff in that area is like.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 20, 2023

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

ungulateman posted:

my favourite star wars books are the many fanfics on ao3

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

on a vaguely similar note, does anyone have opinions on the Queen's novels? i saw an offhand mention of the author having bad takes on the anakin/padme relationship but it seems like what people really want out of those two is for anakin to go to therapy, so i'm curious about what the official post-disney stuff in that area is like.

Definitely worth reading if you want More Padmé content, and the author does a really good job of having the galaxy far far away be progressive enough to have, like, openly queer characters that have more going on than just Being Queer

I had similar concerns about the third book, and having it be set during Padmé's marriage, specifically due to the author's aforementioned weirdness about that specific relationship, but that ended up being a non-issue, and the author's personal feelings there did not get in the way of Anakin and Padmé's relationship being depicted in a way that matches other stories -- they absolutely were never /good/ for each other, but they did care about each other

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timeline-wise, where are the current "main" Star Wars comics? Have they reached ROTJ yet? Is there a plan to have the main ongoing series continue past ROTJ?

Relatedly I just heard that the local comics shop in my hometown is closing. That's where I got my first Star Wars comics from, and most of my comics period in the 90s and early 00s. Definitely sad news to hear.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Timeline-wise, where are the current "main" Star Wars comics? Have they reached ROTJ yet? Is there a plan to have the main ongoing series continue past ROTJ?

Relatedly I just heard that the local comics shop in my hometown is closing. That's where I got my first Star Wars comics from, and most of my comics period in the 90s and early 00s. Definitely sad news to hear.

They know there's a second Death Star thanks to some Crimson Dawn agents buried at its Black Site making a break for it during the Crimson Empire series, but they're currently in the middle of a multi-comic Dark Droids storyline that's going to continue through the rest of the year ala War of the Bounty Hunters

Gonna be interesting if we finally see Bothans or if they'll forever remain featureless

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Wait what are bothans as goat-looking dudes not canon any more??

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Radio! posted:

Wait what are bothans as goat-looking dudes not canon any more??

They haven't been physically seen in any new canon material, and an alien vaguely resembling their Legends design showed up in Resistance at one point
They "show up" in Bloodline but given the lack of physical description on their wook page, it was only in passing

Matt Martin posted:

It's pretty easy to confirm: we are purposely trying not to show them to leave all possibilities for when that story gets told. The dude in Resistance is based on the EU design of a Bothan that the Animation art team used as reference for a background alien.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Funnily enough one of the current tourney promos for Legion has a Bothan, though given their tendency towards reusing art idk when it was first drawn

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavin Darklighter was like "Yeah, I wanna hit that." And Corran gave him a high five.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Gavin Darklighter was like "Yeah, I wanna hit that." And Corran gave him a high five.

Corran banged a beaver, not a "dog-cat-cow" person with hair that "ripples"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Calax posted:

Corran banged a beaver

:goonsay: It was an otter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Funnily enough one of the current tourney promos for Legion has a Bothan, though given their tendency towards reusing art idk when it was first drawn

That's a similar style to other Fantasy Flight art, but I think their stuff (or at least the RPG) exists in this nebulously canon area due to them getting the license before Disney and then incorporating Disney material once it was available.

SWTOR kind of has the same thing going - it launched a few years before the sale and is telling Legends stories, but also incorporates a lot of nu-canon stuff in mounts and cosmetics.