Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

this is so loving hot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Holy poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
Gniesbert!!!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this new asus DOG hardware looks more interesting than I thought

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
drat. Gniesbert is such a good name, I might have to rename my dog

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this new asus DOG hardware

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

argh, stress i did not need a few short weeks before the fresh students start turning in their python programs "well commented"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Could be worse, I am tasked with cleaning up about a decade worth of rube-goldberg development and the code reads like that.

The telephone directory was generated by a chain of a 20kb perl script, some shell code, php, and a huge javascript thing to make a table sortable.

I replaced it with a small python thing that generates a static page from a j2 html template file and a few ldap queries…

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

Gniesbert!!!!

He looks so loving pleased with himself too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so loving sick of Gniesberts poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

argh, stress i did not need a few short weeks before the fresh students start turning in their python programs "well commented"

code:

<!--this is a well-->
<div class="well"> actually</div>

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also best comment ever is the automatically added "this code was written by a tool"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
code:
// DRUNK, FIX LATER

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

code:
// DRUNK, FIX LATER

this is good info though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

blame professors who insist on a whole paragraph to explain a one line function

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
before I drove I always thought "SIGN AHEAD" was a very silly thing to waste space and attention on

mystes
May 31, 2006

The real question is how many levels deep the pre-sign signs should go

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

cute dog :love:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

haveblue posted:

before I drove I always thought "SIGN AHEAD" was a very silly thing to waste space and attention on

I was driving across country with a dually that had a motorcycle in the back. in Denver there was a sign that said “bumps and grooves ahead.” for like 10 miles there was nothing then there was a sign that just said “bump” and it was like the truck got launched into the air and when we landed we hit the grooves and started dancing all over the road. I was already going like 20 miles under the limit too cause that truck was a POS and it was at like 3am so there was no other traffic for me to see hit the bump

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Large Testicles posted:

I was driving across country with a dually that had a motorcycle in the back. in Denver there was a sign that said “bumps and grooves ahead.” for like 10 miles there was nothing then there was a sign that just said “bump” and it was like the truck got launched into the air and when we landed we hit the grooves and started dancing all over the road. I was already going like 20 miles under the limit too cause that truck was a POS and it was at like 3am so there was no other traffic for me to see hit the bump
and then once you got clear of all that there was a sign a mile further along that just said "lol"

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

FMguru posted:

and then once you got clear of all that there was a sign a mile further along that just said "lol"

shoulda been one that said “stop here to change underwear”

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

the best is ancient legacy code where the actual statement is "STOP" and the comment is "this is a yield sign"

comments are bad. you can't write tests for them and no static analysis tool can assert their veracity

MSPain fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 15, 2023

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mystes posted:

The real question is how many levels deep the pre-sign signs should go
i was in prince edward island last week and they have painted on the roads

200m

STOP

AHEAD

in like a lot of intersections outside their capitol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

here we just have rumble strips cut into the road so it makes a loud noise when you’re approaching an intersection after a long stretch of highway

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

polyester concept posted:

here we just have rumble strips cut into the road so it makes a loud noise when you’re approaching an intersection after a long stretch of highway
in the maritimes these are reserved for highway toll booths only

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

there’s a stretch of road I drive on fairly frequently that has rumble strips at all the speed limit signs for some odd reason

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just tell them the truth - comments smell and if you have even just a few of them your code stinks. git good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Sagebrush posted:

They're weird planes because their proportions are the same as much smaller twins, so nothing seems out of place at first, but then you see one beside a 737 or something and

Each engine nacelle is as big around as the 737's fuselage :jeb:

Well what a coincidence! Just a few days later I am flying on a 777. Big plane

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NSR7wPydjw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

woah, a .pnj file. some kinda jpeg/png hybrid