Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I put it in the hunting thread, but earlier this year I had a fuckup out hunting the involved me rolling down a hill into a glacial river with a goat tied to my back.
Had to get out of the pack and goat while submerged, then dive back in to get my gear.
While I had a PLB the general rule of thumb is to allow anywhere up to a day for help to arrive and at that point it was about 4pm and 2°c so I made a splint for my buggered ankle, changed my top clothes (no way was my pants coming off, because of said ankle) crawled up the hill and walked back to the car.
The thought of just sitting there and waiting a night never even crossed my mind.

Not gonna lie though, I've had a few dreams about hitting that water and going down.

I was also out a few years ago with a guy who slipped on a wooden step in the back country, put his hand out to save himself and caught his arm on the corner.
Rolled the skin of his arm up from mid forearm to his elbow. We duct taped a spare shirt over it and walked back a hour or so.

To keep it vaguely idiot related I went to take a poo poo in the woods and got bitten on the balls by a sandfly. By the time I admitted defeat and went to the dr my ballsack was like an orange stuck under my dick and they weren't sure if I'd ever have children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

carrionman posted:

I put it in the hunting thread, but earlier this year I had a fuckup out hunting the involved me rolling down a hill into a glacial river with a goat tied to my back.
Had to get out of the pack and goat while submerged, then dive back in to get my gear.
While I had a PLB the general rule of thumb is to allow anywhere up to a day for help to arrive and at that point it was about 4pm and 2°c so I made a splint for my buggered ankle, changed my top clothes (no way was my pants coming off, because of said ankle) crawled up the hill and walked back to the car.
The thought of just sitting there and waiting a night never even crossed my mind.

Not gonna lie though, I've had a few dreams about hitting that water and going down.

I was also out a few years ago with a guy who slipped on a wooden step in the back country, put his hand out to save himself and caught his arm on the corner.
Rolled the skin of his arm up from mid forearm to his elbow. We duct taped a spare shirt over it and walked back a hour or so.

To keep it vaguely idiot related I went to take a poo poo in the woods and got bitten on the balls by a sandfly. By the time I admitted defeat and went to the dr my ballsack was like an orange stuck under my dick and they weren't sure if I'd ever have children.

username doesn't track

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The forecast calls for a trio of 100 degree days coming up. We haven't had real rain but maybe one or two days this entire past month and a half. This is one of the worst summers we've ever had. You've got to go back to 1980 to find something nearly as miserable in NOLA. I want to live somewhere cold.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

And here I felt like an idiot for not realizing an ingrown hair had abscessed :stonklol:

Ow

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Only time I've blacked out from pain in my life was the debriding, do not recommend!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

A.o.D. posted:

The forecast calls for a trio of 100 degree days coming up. We haven't had real rain but maybe one or two days this entire past month and a half. This is one of the worst summers we've ever had. You've got to go back to 1980 to find something nearly as miserable in NOLA. I want to live somewhere cold.

Sup 30 degree latitude buddy. I grew up in the NOLA area and live in Houston now.

It has been like this constantly since mid June. It last rained on July 8th. I keep swearing to anyone that will listen that it was just NOT. THIS. HOT. when I was a kid in the 90s.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Meanwhile the Texas energy companies are desperately trying to figure out how to trick people into accepting 90+ degrees is room temperature.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
i'm a lurker, but i hadn't seen this posted here: https://twitter.com/Iron_Man_Actual/status/1689233744513691648

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

carrionman posted:

Was it user The Rat (?), who went on a hiking date where she rolled her ankle, he carried her down the mountain, and he never got a call back?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

carrionman posted:

Was the goat ok???

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Fragrag posted:

Was the goat ok???

He was simply gutted by the whole experience

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

JPrime posted:

i'm a lurker, but i hadn't seen this posted here: https://twitter.com/Iron_Man_Actual/status/1689233744513691648

https://i.imgur.com/4YKYuzw.mp4

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Saw this and thought of here.

https://www.tavour.com/b/drinking-crayons-b255080

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Promote ahead of peers.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/bigdaddyofnine/status/1643223889936277506

probably a thread classic but came up again and had a chuckle

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

On the internet nobody knows you're a dog.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Git sum debil dawg

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

At first I actually thought it was a seal, and was going to quip that I thought they were Navy

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

The face you get when you find a NOD unsecured on the ground and ask your privates for a SI check.

Edit: If you don't speak US Army:

NOD- Night Observation Device

SI- Seriously, if you lose ANY of this equipment, *I* will loving murder you and your entire goddamn family.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 15, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Are there any tactical milsims that model military stupidity, like by having percentile rolls for equipped gear to just vanish?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

XCOM does. No other way to explain missing point-blank shots. :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Are there any tactical milsims that model military stupidity, like by having percentile rolls for equipped gear to just vanish?

Aliens: Dark Descent has certain dudes steal recovered supplies post-mission.

E: most marines have some kind of trait (clumsy, klepto, etc) and the klepto-marines will literally steal supplies needed for your ship to take back off and avoid the inbound nuclear cleansing :laffo:

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Jagged Alliance 2 had a guy you needed to bribe to prevent portions of your deliveries from being stolen. If you kill him, he gets replaced with another guy who's so incompetent he can lose ENTIRE shipments. And if you kill that guy, you can't get any more supply shipments.

There were also some characters that would get drunk/high if they were left in an area with alcohol/drugs/meds. They could also steal money or items.

Some characters hated each other so much they'd kill each other or quit if they were in the same area.

A lot of them were just really, really dumb.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

There's also the addict trait which means an extra medkit mysteriously vanishes whenever you rest :chillpill:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gorilla Radio posted:

The face you get when you find a NOD unsecured on the ground and ask your privates for a SI check.

Edit: If you don't speak US Army:

NOD- Night Observation Device

SI- Seriously, if you lose ANY of this equipment, *I* will loving murder you and your entire goddamn family.

was it this thread where someone told the story of opening the units mystery random crap conex and finding it full of undocumented crypto gear

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The poor guy who took over the armory without going through everything in there first?
Just signed off on it and waved to the previous dude as he sped off into the sunset.

There was a box of undocumented crypto, a box of receivers (I think that's what they're called anyways. The thing that is considered the gun out of all the parts that go into making one) with their serial numbers filed off and two more boxes of equally insane poo poo.

Goon consensus ended up somewhere between "get the commander down there ASAP if you think he can be trusted not to throw you under the bus", "get a shovel and a truck and then bury them all in the desert" and "get the commander, then get two shovels and a truck and help the commander bury that poo poo in the desert".

I've never seen so many goons agree on something so fast before.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Icon Of Sin posted:

E: most marines have some kind of trait (clumsy, klepto, etc) and the klepto-marines will literally steal supplies needed for your ship to take back off and avoid the inbound nuclear cleansing :laffo:

I endorse that game, it really captures the feel of Aliens

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ARMA fits into that niche for me, I tried it once after a bunch of people in my unit talked it up and told me about their SUPER COOL GUILD. During my first game I wasn't allowed to ride in the APC as the FNG, so I had to virtually hump a mile by myself. Privates don't get GPS units so after trying to dead-reckon through a forest I wind up in an empty village. The roadsigns are written in a completely different alphabet than my map so I can't easily figure out where I am. Eventually I see some flak bursts over the horizon so I steal a car and drive in that general direction. I am shot by a sniper and die in the car before reaching the front lines. Now I have to wait for some fukken LT to allow me to respawn.

gently caress ARMA.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 15, 2023

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SerthVarnee posted:

The poor guy who took over the armory without going through everything in there first?
Just signed off on it and waved to the previous dude as he sped off into the sunset.

There was a box of undocumented crypto, a box of receivers (I think that's what they're called anyways. The thing that is considered the gun out of all the parts that go into making one) with their serial numbers filed off and two more boxes of equally insane poo poo.

Goon consensus ended up somewhere between "get the commander down there ASAP if you think he can be trusted not to throw you under the bus", "get a shovel and a truck and then bury them all in the desert" and "get the commander, then get two shovels and a truck and help the commander bury that poo poo in the desert".

I've never seen so many goons agree on something so fast before.

There's a real process but no one likes you afterwards, because Uncle Sam is out there blowing up a lot of backroom deals as collateral.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wasabi the J posted:

There's a real process but no one likes you afterwards, because Uncle Sam is out there blowing up a lot of backroom deals as collateral.

I'd rather no one like me at the unit than have them not give a poo poo about me in Leavenworth.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I know ARMA has a salute button, isn't there also a push-up button?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
My company did the Official US Army Arma Simulator© once.

They gave me 2 javelin missle systems, then got mad when my stamina immediately tanked and I couldn't keep up on the movement.

Javelin missle= ~50 lbs (20 kg)

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I popped a trailer open when I was in the reserves back in the early/mid 90s and found a bunch of unsecured and undocumented crypto devices, thrn promptly cried in anguish.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened in other places.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Syrian Lannister posted:

I popped a trailer open when I was in the reserves back in the early/mid 90s and found a bunch of unsecured and undocumented crypto devices, thrn promptly cried in anguish.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened in other places.

For a brief second I thought you were talking about bitcoin poo poo. And frankly it wouldn't surprise me if some troop was trying to be a superbrain and run a bunch of crypto poo poo on DOD hardware.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I would love to read a declassified report in 25 years about somebody doing just that on a classified network and what's why JWICS was so janky to use in 202X.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wasabi the J posted:

Chickenhawks has a story about a Huey going down in Vietnam, and when the army declared it lost the inventory of gear on the helicopter amounted to something like fifteen or twenty tons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My battalion had our mystery weapons armory. It was an old ammo bunker on Lewis where all the random poo poo that got scoured up wound up for 'foreign weapons familiarization' training. It had the weirdest assortment of gear, including a goddamn Vickers that had been 'recovered' in Vietnam back in the 60s and been mounted on what looked like an old wheelbarrow frame.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That crazy guy in NK might still be alive. NK officially acknowledged that he crossed the border.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm so glad that he's not one of my troops, RIP his chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm so glad that he's not one of my troops, RIP his chain.

Why would his chain be in the firing line? After all it was the MPs that hosed up and he had already done a stint in Korean prison I thought.