Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

BG1/2 were 2e and thus still firmly in "all non-casters just hit things and that's it" territory.

AD&D treated Fighters a lot better because "doing lots of damage" was still valuable since post-3e hit point inflation had not set in yet, and saving throws were stat-independent so high-level Fighters could and would resist all manner of spells just because and regardless of their stat spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Popy posted:

also alot of money was thrown at BG3 idk if indie means anything anymore
yeah larian was never quite what i'd say "indie". or at least initially borderline like CDPR when they made the first Witcher : Divine Divinity.

generally i'd say indie means "small budget" rather than outright independent studio because even tons of "indie" games like stardew valley or hypnospace outlaw are published but that doesn't mean much in the Digital Devolver-era of 'publishing'

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Koirhor posted:

the big question with hollow knight is where the hell is the Silksong sequel did it get canned?

The dev team is like 3 people. Give em time

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

AD&D treated Fighters a lot better because "doing lots of damage" was still valuable since post-3e hit point inflation had not set in yet, and saving throws were stat-independent so high-level Fighters could and would resist all manner of spells just because and regardless of their stat spread.

Also IIRC you got nice perks like automatically gaining followers and noble titles when you leveled up as a fighter.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
imo they need to take fighter, rogue, and monk, throw them together in a blender, and pour out two martial classes; one a sneaky/skilled asscreed type and the other a flashy/technique wuxia type

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

stumblebum posted:

imo they need to take fighter, rogue, and monk, throw them together in a blender, and pour out two martial classes; one a sneaky/skilled asscreed type and the other a flashy/technique wuxia type

they did this back in 3.5 it was called Tome of Battle aka the Book of Weaboo Fight'n Magic

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Thank you Yinlock, and especially thank you Zote. I meditated on this (switch had to charge) and killed the secret boss the next try. With 5 hearts left to boot (out of like 14 because I brought in both lifeblood charms).

106% which isn't too shabby but also I came into it with vague, contextless awareness of random bits and pieces from seeing speedruns and discussion over the years so probably doesn't count. 41 hours too which helps, a wonderful game to get lost in and world to just sort of explore. Time to finish up the DLC and definitely not the Path of Pain because apparently you have to do the whole white palace again which lmao, not a reward in the world worth that.

Not bad imho, I suck rear end at 2D combat and this may have been the game that finally pushed my right joycon into having frequent, noticable drift which let me tell you made a lot of stuff harder.

Time to the find the other endings, so far the only other cheevo one I got was completely on accident because I spent too long healing (unnecessarily as I would find out) when Hornet jumped in

the last ending requires doing the Godseeker content and you don't want to do that trust me. unless a 46 stage boss rush(not counting 7 rest stops which of course you cannot restart from if you die) is appealing to you for some reason.

if you haven't had the secret fight spoiled though it's worth starting it at least just for that. screenshot of where entrance is but nothing about what it is, because there's no hint it exists in game and nobody would ever find this thing on their own lol

gradenko_2000 posted:

that sounds very frustrating for wizards and very funny for everyone else

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Aug 16, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The difference between a wizard and a warrior is that game designers give wizard a huge list of all the cool things they can do so they can feel cool and powerful and not think to much.

While warriors need to use their loving imagination, it's a roleplaying game for Christ's sake, you can do whatever you want, figure it the gently caress out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Lostconfused posted:

The difference between a wizard and a warrior is that game designers give wizard a huge list of all the cool things they can do so they can feel cool and powerful and not think to much.

While warriors need to use their loving imagination, it's a roleplaying game for Christ's sake, you can do whatever you want, figure it the gently caress out.

yeah but can warriors turn into an owlbear? no! shut up!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

im going to roll an eldritch knight/sorcerer/warlock/monk/rogue because that kind of dumb poo poo worked in pathfinder so surely it will in 5e too

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Xaris posted:

ppl should make good games instead of mediocre and bad games

:hmmyes:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

im going to roll an eldritch knight/sorcerer/wizard

There, that should work. Remember you only have half the level cap of Pathfinder.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lostconfused posted:

There, that should work. Remember you only have half the level cap of Pathfinder.

ok but how would you heal yourself by killing people, get sneak attacks and punch someone every turn without warlock, rogue and monk. you gotta think about maximizing the amount of gimmicks

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Lostconfused posted:

None of the stuff you can use your imagination for will ever be as good as spells, though. Like, oh boy, I could stock up on alchemist's fire and throw them all the time, but it'll never be as good as your standard firebolt cantrip.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ok larian next u gotta make a warhammer fantasy rpg video game just use the same engine its fine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Whirling posted:

None of the stuff you can use your imagination for will ever be as good as spells, though. Like, oh boy, I could stock up on alchemist's fire and throw them all the time, but it'll never be as good as your standard firebolt cantrip.

that's the point, Lostconfused is taking the piss.

when a Warrior tries to "use their loving imagination", the response from the DM is going to be "what? you want to jump really far? no loving way, that's magic, you can't do that!"

and then it's worse in a computer-RPG when you don't even have a DM to ask

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

ok but how would you heal yourself by killing people, get sneak attacks and punch someone every turn without warlock, rogue and monk. you gotta think about maximizing the amount of gimmicks

Quality over quantity.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's the point, Lostconfused is taking the piss.

when a Warrior tries to "use their loving imagination", the response from the DM is going to be "what? you want to jump really far? no loving way, that's magic, you can't do that!"

and then it's worse in a computer-RPG when you don't even have a DM to ask

Ah ok, misread that, how embarrassing for me.

honestly what's weird about it is that you don't even get any cool combat moves if you're a 5e fighter; the closest is maybe battlemaster fighter but that's all stuff like "you can trip or disarm a guy with these limited resources". Otherwise its just you attacking several times a round and that's it. The Pathfinder 2e fighter is nothing but cool tricks you can do, and it encourages you to change your repertoire up frequently between fights.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Push and disarm attacks on battlemaster are super useful though. I think Larian did a good job making Martials more interesting than in base 5e, at least. They should make a Shadow of the Demon Lord game next, though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well in the video game fall damage is like the strongest attack in the game. Followed by lava, unless its a lava elemental.

The wizard/fighter stuff doesn't even really apply to this video game because the game mechanics mostly revolve around video game geometry and manipulation of it than actual dnd stuff.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Basically Baldur’s Gate 3 isn't about playing a dnd game, it's about playing Larian game engine/level design and there's a dnd coat of paint on top.

It's made by video game level designers, not pen and paper encounter designers.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You want to talk about game design, check out the wizard tower in the underdark.

You can do a whole talk/presentation on that place by itself.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Basically Baldur’s Gate 3 isn't about playing a dnd game, it's about playing Larian game engine/level design and there's a dnd coat of paint on top.

p&p encounter designers use some video game-rear end logic sometimes. oh yeah this dragon's battle arena just happens to be in the exact shape of it's flame breath aoe

Whirling posted:

Ah ok, misread that, how embarrassing for me.

honestly what's weird about it is that you don't even get any cool combat moves if you're a 5e fighter; the closest is maybe battlemaster fighter but that's all stuff like "you can trip or disarm a guy with these limited resources". Otherwise its just you attacking several times a round and that's it. The Pathfinder 2e fighter is nothing but cool tricks you can do, and it encourages you to change your repertoire up frequently between fights.

pathfinder somehow goes in even harder on caster supremacy, last i checked anyway.

e: it does have a TON more hybrid stuff though so you can be a caster that also does something else very easily

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Aug 16, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BG3 has an achievement for taking multiclassing one level into each class without ever respeccing lmao

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Yinlock posted:

p&p encounter designers use some video game-rear end logic sometimes. oh yeah this dragon's battle arena just happens to be in the exact shape of it's flame breath aoe

pathfinder somehow goes in even harder on caster supremacy, last i checked anyway.

e: it does have a TON more hybrid stuff though so you can be a caster that also does something else very easily

sure, for the first edition, but PF2e did nerf casters heavily.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

yeah that's why it kicks rear end

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

SirSamVimes posted:

BG3 has an achievement for taking multiclassing one level into each class without ever respeccing lmao

people have already discovered the coward's way of buying a hireling to unlock this, alas

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

drat i forgot how much better looking Monster Hunter World looks then Rise

making a monster hunter game for a garbage trash system like the switch so its gotta look bad so it can chug at 29fps

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Popy posted:

drat i forgot how much better looking Monster Hunter World looks then Rise

making a monster hunter game for a garbage trash system like the switch so its gotta look bad so it can chug at 29fps

everybody hates on mhw vs mhr but that game looked so good. the polygon count on mhr is rough

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

bg3 is actually way superior to most table top games because no dm on earth is patient enough to adjudicate a jump action every round

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Xaris posted:

generally i'd say indie means "small budget" rather than outright independent studio because even tons of "indie" games like stardew valley or hypnospace outlaw are published but that doesn't mean much in the Digital Devolver-era of 'publishing'

both stardew valley and our game were developed sans publisher funding and were only picked up later in development by publishers after the projects gained notoriety online. Hypnospace was a Kickstarter game and Stardew was self-funded by the dev. the implication that the productions were less legitimately independent because they both found publishers to help market and release the games is inaccurate, at least for the purposes of this discussion. there are definitely games that are questionably 'indie' that start out with tons of funding, but not the two games you mentioned.

VVV edit: ahh, ok, I misread your point there! and thanks, glad you enjoyed!

Gaspy Conana has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Aug 21, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gaspy Conana posted:

the implication that the productions were less legitimately independent because they both found publishers to help market and release the games is inaccurate, at least for the purposes of this discussion. there are definitely games that are questionably 'indie' that start out with tons of funding, but not the two games you mentioned.
oh yeah I completely agree, that was my point. There's nothing wrong with having "publishers" in 2023. It's more about a budget/resource thing. like even a "self-funded game" with 200 people for 50 million is obviously not the same as a 2-man shop on a 50k budget.

I didnt realize HS was a kickstarter game though, neat. I knew Concerned Ape was like working as a cashier for like half of Stardew development before getting cucklefish (who proceeded to do ????)

I was really just arguing with no one. I guess I should have said I see 'publishers' as more just a bank loan specifically for developers, and sometimes they may or may not help with marketing. that doesn't mean they're any more or less legitimate as an indie game.

ps: slayers X kicked rear end. gimme HS2 pls

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:32 on Aug 16, 2023

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm several hours into Hollow Knight. Really good so far, but it handles almost exactly like rogue legacy which is loving me up slightly since the controls are a little different. I don't find it challenging yet but I'm assuredly going to get my rear end kicked at some point. I've cleared 4-5 zones and I've died twice I think. The healing is extremely forgiving to the point where there's almost no danger if you play conservatively. Imagine Dark Souls but every time you damage an enemy it restores 1/5th of an estus flask. Deal 5 hits and you can heal 20% of your health. Also its only 2D so your field of view is nearly omnipotent.

So far it's two thumbs up, great metroidvania. I do want a better weapon at some point. I plan on using the ice beam, wave, charge, and spazer combo once I unlock them for the old nail.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is my Baldur's Gate 3 game bugged, or are all your companions supposed to be constantly hitting on your character? This might be the horniest game I've ever played. Like god drat, sometimes after a hard day of killing goblins and cultists I just want to go to bed and sleep.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Is my Baldur's Gate 3 game bugged, or are all your companions supposed to be constantly hitting on your character? This might be the horniest game I've ever played. Like god drat, sometimes after a hard day of killing goblins and cultists I just want to go to bed and sleep.

yeah everyone is too horny. shutting them down early and bluntly works though. also the way the system looks like it might work has me suspecting that if you try to romance no one you're more likely to cause everyone to spam their romance intro poo poo

if all else fails i don't think the hirelings will try that poo poo. although now that I think about it I'm not 100% sure and would not at all be surprised if there wasn't something there

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

there a few moments when triggers seem to just avalanche together and you might have hit that point. so far it was dealing with the goblin situation, finding the safe place in Act 2, and then entering the city proper in Act 3. once you deal with the goblins everyone seemingly puts down their swords, doffs their armor and says "okay time to flirt"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jon Irenicus posted:

there a few moments when triggers seem to just avalanche together and you might have hit that point. so far it was dealing with the goblin situation, finding the safe place in Act 2, and then entering the city proper in Act 3. once you deal with the goblins everyone seemingly puts down their swords, doffs their armor and says "okay time to flirt"

yeah and if you gently caress up there is a very funny act 3 vendor scene with Karlach, I literally made the D: face irl

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Me: "Hey Karlach wanna hang out? ;D"

Karlach, about to Avernus Smite my heart: "Poor fucker."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wrong, the game tracks the main character but also per party member hookups. It would be pretty funny if other party members decided to get together because they didn't want your sloppy seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
gently caress romance