Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
One loose thread with PTG for me was Audrey's second husband. He was the one who suggested Royce Rocco was a pimp and gave Paul the idea that she was a prostitute - yet the "real" version of him was never mentioned at all, not even in a "he refused to comment" or "we received no response" way.

I mean it wouldn't surprise me if he just said "Royce Rocco is a playboy" and Paul just wildly misunderstood that. But considering it was the genesis of this whole obsession, I was waiting for that to get revisited in the last two eps but it never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It wouldn't surprise me if he was a character Paul invented entirely.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Royce Rocco showed up at the end and seemed like a pretty cool parrothead I thought

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I meant the second husband who gave Paul all the secret info. That was a guy I think Paul mostly made up so he's not just saying "so I figured he's gotta be a pimp, right?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's one scene with the second husband (who, even if he was "real", Paul likely vastly exaggerated) that made me think there was something truthful there: he mentions how he was convinced the police were covering something illicit up for Audrey and his explanation was telling a story where it's clear he was stalking and harassing her and the police actually showed up to tell him to gently caress off or get arrested.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
One small line that stuck out to me from second husband was him saying "I live a mile away from you" or something, like how did he know where Paul lived? The answer of course is that Paul just wrote it that way cus it made sense to him and he never thought anyone would question it.

I also noticed his costume was always...worse than everyone else's? It always looked like he was in a real bad wig.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://twitter.com/slandrroid/status/1663571637122355202?s=20

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/jwoliner/status/1664765060072316928

quote:

The peer group rejected the bid, stating: “The series is Paul’s one-sided account of what he says happened to him, which doesn’t fall under documentary programming. Even the series itself calls into question if the content is factual.”

smh like these mfers didnt even watch the finale

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/jwoliner/status/1664765060072316928

smh like these mfers didnt even watch the finale

lmao that definition would rule out many classic documentary films

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Presents a one-sided view of the subject matter" is like the bread and butter of a ton of documentaries.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Plus even an attempt at representing multiple perspectives inherently requires editorial choice and perspective in what is filmed, edited, and shown. Whether they have an express agenda or not, filmmakers can't not be expressing some point of view or other, that's all a camera can do.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
We need Werner Herzog to intervene on Woliner’s behalf like the Johnnie Cochran of documentary filmmaking.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah, these Emmy dinks have fallen into the trap, sometimes used all-too-conveniently, of thinking "Documentary" == "An Unbiased News Report" or some such.

Hey, as soon as you point your camera and document subject A, you miss everything that's happening behind you, with subjects B-Z!

Which is not to say that documentaries can't be news, can't be reportage, or whatever, but they're [mild] polemics really. There's not even a requirement to be "truthful".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the Emmy people are terrified of being "tricked" by Paul T. Goldman somehow.

As a documentary (which it is!), it's an absolutely extraordinary achievement, and they're cowards for miscategorizing it :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Apparently there's a inspirational movie out about a guy who claims to have invented flamin hot Cheetos, called Flamin Hot. I bring it up here because it's based on a made-up storybook by a guy who did not actually invent any cheetohs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Apparently there's a inspirational movie out about a guy who claims to have invented flamin hot Cheetos, called Flamin Hot. I bring it up here because it's based on a made-up storybook by a guy who did not actually invent any cheetohs

It got screened at the White House to celebrate ingenuity lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I ignored it on Hulu because the draw in was "an Eva Longoria movie" and I thought that was funny since she is not known for producing movies afaik, but not enough to look any further. Connecting the dots now and I still don't know if I want to watch it if it's not going to be funny and aware of its lies.

On some level I can appreciate making a modern day fabrication myth for a.... Flavour of a junk food typically associated with the base artificiality of our foods. But it might be a read about it on Wikipedia kind of appreciation over consuming it directly.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember the quote from the dude being something like "I remember the corn man coming around and selling corn, and I wanted to make it taste like the corn man."

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tangential to both The Rehearsal and Paul T Goldman, but How To With John Wilson returned last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDw6hGm7eUQ

Very lovely show where John strings together misc footage taken of quirky/weird things found in NYC via an overall theme.

Season 3 is starting with "How To Find a Public Toilet", and is pretty great. (Fielder is also associated with this show too.)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I hope we get a release announcement for The Curse some time. That show was announced the same time as Rehearsal, but still no word about it coming out.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I have no idea why it was merged into one thread and I wouldn't have done so myself, but a mod must have thought it was a good idea to make a single thread for 2 barely related shows because someone mentioned Paul T Goldman in here. At the same time if you like one you'll probably like the other, so hey not the worst thing I guess. I still find it sort of bizarre though.

On one hand I agree with you. On the other hand, I would have never heard of Paul T Goldman otherwise, and I enjoyed both!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The newest episode of How to With John Wilson is loving amazing, I was dying laughing at so many points.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Paul t Goldman was good but John Wilson would be my big recommendation

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CodfishCartographer posted:

The newest episode of How to With John Wilson is loving amazing, I was dying laughing at so many points.
The transition with the cops turning into bacon and the part with the personal trainer who unknowingly trained the 9/11 hijackers and said that he was glad that they did what they did because at least they were committed to something even if he didn't agree with them got huge laughs out of me :lol:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s a shame this is the final season because the concept can go forever and is so incredibly good.

Also laffo at not being invited to the HBO after party

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

The Curse first look. I’m excited for this almost wholly because of the people involved

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Nathan is also tangentially involved with How To:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Still a little surprised that Nathan seemingly did a whole hellish parody of a TikTok house that didn't really come to anything besides that video.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It is a very funny video.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-curse-nathan-fielder-emma-stone-release-date-1235734359/

quote:

“The Curse,” a genre-defying series starring Emma Stone and Nathan Fielder, will premiere on Nov. 10 via Paramount+ with Showtime ahead of its on-air Showtime debut on Nov. 12, the network announced Tuesday. Showtime has debuted a series of first-look images, giving audiences a sneak peek at the perplexing renovation story to come.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
cant really say i gently caress with the cinematography here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tui5vl13Gqg

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

atrus50 posted:

cant really say i gently caress with the cinematography here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tui5vl13Gqg

Ooooh this gives me Quentin Dupieux vibes

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Nathan is so good at acting

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nathan following up one of the best tv shows ever with one of the best tv shows ever

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Still can't convince me this isn't an elaborate Nathan plot to kiss Emma Stone for the NFY s5 finale.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
without practicing first? fat chance!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What the gently caress do you think rehearsal season 2 will be about???

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is The Curse just The Rehearsal season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
By this point, it's fair to assume that Nathan Fielder has made the whole show as a pretense to suddenly stand behind me while I finish watching it. You and everyone else is in on it.