Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

vseslav.botkin posted:

The thing that stood out about the first season on my rewatch is that the writing is (mostly) very good, but visually it's not that great. There's the occasional nice shot but more distracting camera movement and awkward cuts than you might think. You can tell they're still developing the style, and obviously don't have the massive budget of the later seasons.

Also I always felt the set where Jaime bought Ned looked cheap as hell.

But the writing was on-point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, at the time bouncing on a show that hadn't premiered yet and seemed like a giant risky gamble that might not find an audience to go work for Peter Jackson on another Tolkien movie trilogy sounded like a smart career move. And then

Hey at least we got Hafthor Bjornsson out of it eventually.

Nothing against Hafthor, he gave an adequate performance for someone who isn't a trained actor and delivered on the big fight stuff. That said the first Mountain was also freakish big and looked sufficiently mean and crazy enough to make the whole sadistic berserker giant thing work just off the strength of that one joust scene alone. Can't blame someone for making what was a very sensible career choice at the time but what a loss.

Speaking of baffling recasting, they did the same thing with the Night King. IDK what it was but the first guy managed to convey a presence that felt sufficiently demonic and alien. The second guy (who iirc was the long-standing swordfight coordinator/stunt man for the series) just didn't cut it IMO.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jsoh posted:

smart people who are alcoholics often do really stupid poo poo and cerseis been hitting the bottle hard for like a decade at this point but a lot moreso since joffrey died

Yeah I was literally gonna say, as a fellow recovering fellow traveller with Cersei, I have spent too much time just swirling my wine and glaring out a window at the world. Given when we start getting her POVs I don’t hate it.

It’s also something really hard to go back to without thinking Show. Lena Headey was so good and then she gets like 3 or 4 seasons of nothing BUT staring and swirling. And maybe boning a nordic man whose character also got done dirty.

Us booze fiends also do things and have all kinds of dramatic outbursts. Let Lena do some poo poo you hacks :argh:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s also something really hard to go back to without thinking Show. Lena Headey was so good and then she gets like 3 or 4 seasons of nothing BUT staring and swirling. And maybe boning a nordic man whose character also got done dirty.

Us booze fiends also do things and have all kinds of dramatic outbursts. Let Lena do some poo poo you hacks :argh:

To be fair she got the amazing Great Sept explosion scene that was so good it must have come from GRRM.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lena Headey did such a good job they made her the end boss instead of the imposing apocalyptic zombie army.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Elman posted:

To be fair she got the amazing Great Sept explosion scene that was so good it must have come from GRRM.

Yeah that was an actual good use of Cersei swirling and smirking out a window

Too bad it didn’t matter at all

Remember the Knights of the Reach, saviors of the Blackwater?

Nah me neither, they sucked, we beat them all off screen

And certainly nobody cares that you murdered Pope Francis and Princess Diana in one go

And that go involved destroying St Peters Basilica in a horrible explosion that killed countless loyal civilians in the heart of a city that previously preferred rioting against literal dragons than taking poo poo from bad monarchs

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 18, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

its a shame we never got to see show watchers reaction to some of the batshit stuff in affc and adwd

would've loved to see an extremely short lived toxic young griff tv show fandom

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And certainly nobody cares that you murdered Pope Francis and Princess Diana in one go

And that go involved destroying St Peters Basilica in a horrible explosion that killed countless loyal civilians in the heart of a city that previously preferred rioting against literal dragons than taking poo poo from bad monarchs

My favorite part of this is that literally everyone must have assumed that she killed Tommen too. "He just happened to kill himself right after I murdered literally everyone else in the court" sounds like obvious bullshit. In the eyes of everyone she's a kinslayer and a kingslayer on top of everything else and yet no one gives a single gently caress.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Elman posted:

My favorite part of this is that literally everyone must have assumed that she killed Tommen too. "He just happened to kill himself right after I murdered literally everyone else in the court" sounds like obvious bullshit. In the eyes of everyone she's a kinslayer and a kingslayer on top of everything else and yet no one gives a single gently caress.

Not even Jaime!

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

it probably did because GRRM has already basically written out the whole plot of the series several times across his various narratives. the events of the books are the same as the events of dunk and egg, as of the 300-year fake history, as of the dance, and as of the blackfyre/robert's rebellions. they all rhyme.

he just refuses to flesh out any of his endings, so the only complete story he's ever told is the dance, because it could fit into four chapters of a bigger, unfinished lorebook.

anyways, the sept explosion is real because it's got elements of the storming of the dragonpit, the redgrass field (margaery is daemon), and summerhall (cersei is egg). but it would go other places than the show because the dragonpit did and it hews closest to that event.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I don’t think the last Mountain actor was tall enough. Clearly they should’ve cast Fulthor.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Nothing against Hafthor, he gave an adequate performance for someone who isn't a trained actor and delivered on the big fight stuff. That said the first Mountain was also freakish big and looked sufficiently mean and crazy enough to make the whole sadistic berserker giant thing work just off the strength of that one joust scene alone. Can't blame someone for making what was a very sensible career choice at the time but what a loss.

Speaking of baffling recasting, they did the same thing with the Night King. IDK what it was but the first guy managed to convey a presence that felt sufficiently demonic and alien. The second guy (who iirc was the long-standing swordfight coordinator/stunt man for the series) just didn't cut it IMO.

Everything about what they did to the Others in the show makes me angry.

Including that they won’t call them the Others because of loving Lost.

They’re basically the Predator with a magic sword and the ability to raise the dead! But instead we got blue-raspberry flavored dark elves who make everyone schlock-horror stupid.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm just imagining some Other edgelord setting up that writhing human arm wreath thing while the others look on and sigh with disgust.

"No, it'll totally freak them out, you guys!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Did they even ever say what that poo poo was?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

vseslav.botkin posted:

The thing that stood out about the first season on my rewatch is that the writing is (mostly) very good, but visually it's not that great. There's the occasional nice shot but more distracting camera movement and awkward cuts than you might think. You can tell they're still developing the style, and obviously don't have the massive budget of the later seasons.

The pilot is a very well known case of "expensive, confusing, ugly" because D&D didn't have a clue about how to make TV shows. They then got someone in who makes HBO shows constantly, immediately saw that that guy actually knows how to make TV and copied his style exactly. There's a run of episodes in S1 that they had to make before (3-5 I think?) before the actual good tv show maker got involved to boot.

The writing was on the wall from the get go with D&D. Incompetent, borderline grifters if you're being kind about them.

HOTD S1 has several points about it at GRRMs behest that specifically rectify budgetary GOT S1's shortcomings, mainly the pageantry poo poo only GRRM truly cares about. The tournaments being actually grandiose and the royal hunt being a huge affair rather than just Robert and Renly walking alone in someones back garden.

And despite all the evident budget problems and lack of knowhow on how to make a show by the people in charge, GoT S1 is still pretty good because it's adapting a pretty good source pretty well.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 18, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did they even ever say what that poo poo was?

Tune in to the Jon Snow Hour to find out, coming 2025

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why did the battle scenes on the show get so stupid near the end? Hardhome from S5 was incredible, Battle of the Bastards from S6 was really good, and then The Long Night from S8 just poo poo the loving bed, but they seem to have the same credits (Sapochnik, David&DB, Djawadi, Wagner, Porter)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The Battle of the Bastards was stupid as gently caress, though

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you liked Hardhome you should watch an actual good horror movie.

It’s very much a reheated big mac of cliches that have been done better elsewhere.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah battle of the bastards was loving garbage

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

one of the castle fights looked like there were fewer people fighting than in a typical golden corral on a friday night

the coreography was worse too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The netflix film about Henry V has Agincourt as battle of the bastards, like complete with nearly shot for shot remakes where Henry is Jon

Except when dudes in plate armour meet there’s a lot of blunt weapons, halfswording, drowning in mud, and eyestabs. Also has no “godlike longbow defeats idiot french”

Not a great flick but if you wanna see medieval people beat the poo poo out of each other, a fun two hours

It also has the Dauphin Charles, you know, le Victorieux et le Bien-Servi, victor of the Hundred Years War, as an arrogant cowardly prick who dies so, eh, not full realism

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 18, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The netflix film about Henry V has Agincourt as battle of the bastards, like complete with nearly shot for shot remakes where Henry is Jon

Except when dudes in plate armour meet there’s a lot of blunt weapons, halfswording, drowning in mud, and eyestabs. Also has no “godlike longbow defeats idiot french”

Not a great flick but if you wanna see medieval people beat the poo poo out of each other, a fun two hours

I have Strong Henry V Opinions, and I found Chalamet wonting there. He might be a good Prince Hal, but dude doesn’t have the presence to be Harry the King, self-styled “Scourge of God”. Dude took an arrow to the face once.

Ro-Pats’ Dauphin was great though. I’ll give it that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The worst thing about the battle of the bastards is really the scene in the same episode where the main characters are all like "well we're hosed we don't have enough soldiers"

and then they all walk off and Sansa goes "wtf why aren't you asking me about anything" and Jon is all "well, speak, what should we do" and she's like "mate, i know nothing about battle but we need more men"
"where will we get the men, Sansa"
"... no idea (i'm not going to tell you that the knights of the vale are literally riding for winterfell as we speak lol)"

the only purpose for that scene is to make sansa look both stupid and malicious

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's kinda funny if you imagine it was Sansas master plan all along to throw Jon and his Wildling loyalists into a Bolton meat grinder so she could eliminate him as competition. Little finger hosed up and arrived too soon before Jon was killed.

She is the smartest person in the 7 kingdoms Arya knows after all.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It also has the Dauphin Charles, you know, le Victorieux et le Bien-Servi, victor of the Hundred Years War, as an arrogant cowardly prick who dies so, eh, not full realism

You know I don't have a ready solution for that film once it introduced the Dauphin, who wasn't present at Agincourt. To have him die in in a duel with Henry would... that kind of melodrama would be even more out of place. To have him run off maybe? Actually that might be better. Perhaps he gets killed in the confused carnage and Henry smiles to find him but then turns away sad when he notice Falstaff? Yeah that might work.

Because the narrative of the battle as it's played out is that the English bet on a clever ploy to lure French men-at-arms into a trap in slippery mud. Then that doesn't actually spell victory and the French are still winning. But the Dauphin doesn't take the warning and foolishly(?? his forces did well enough in the mud and the English on foot even better) dismounts and gets murdered.

They made up for an entertaining sociopath of a dauphin with a remarkably subtle mad king. Not all mentally ill people are raving all the time, even those who do some of the time.

And err, the longbows were pretty much made of magic. Not superweapons but they do seem to hit the gaps in the knights' armour and the horses' barding at well above chance. But yeah, at least they don't impale men through cloth then plate then mail then cloth then cloth then mail then plate then cloth like in other movies.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 18, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's kinda funny if you imagine it was Sansas master plan all along to throw Jon and his Wildling loyalists into a Bolton meat grinder so she could eliminate him as competition.

Jon isn't competition. Not even in the North. He's not a Stark. He cannot inherit Winterfell. And Sansa has a huge army.

In this way it actually makes some sick sense what happens to Jon in the show. Not that he gets sent to the Wall instead of becoming king to prevent cinflict with what the thousand Unsullied and Dothraki still alive. But because he is disqualified from ruling. It's not that he's the wrong religion. It's not that he's not a knight. It's not that he swore himself to the Watch. It's that he's a bastard. Smallfolk and nobles alive cannot forgive that even if they can forgive foreign invasion and incest by the same foreign invaders.

Best case for him is he gets his surname switched from Snow to Waters and gets sent as a diplomatically down to Dorne where they don't care as much about this sort of thing (although they still definitely do, a lot!). But he never becomes king.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The pilot is a very well known case of "expensive, confusing, ugly" because D&D didn't have a clue about how to make TV shows. They then got someone in who makes HBO shows constantly, immediately saw that that guy actually knows how to make TV and copied his style exactly. There's a run of episodes in S1 that they had to make before (3-5 I think?) before the actual good tv show maker got involved to boot..

This isn't to say that all early episodes were poorly shot and all later episodes well choreographed. The death of the swordsmaster comes in I believe the penultimate episode and broke immersion for me.

Whereas check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyEM57UJks

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's kinda funny if you imagine it was Sansas master plan all along to throw Jon and his Wildling loyalists into a Bolton meat grinder so she could eliminate him as competition. Little finger hosed up and arrived too soon before Jon was killed.

She is the smartest person in the 7 kingdoms Arya knows after all.

When the smartest person in the kingdoms is late Tyrion well, I ain’t blaming Arya for grading on a curve

For real I’m a weirdo who liked Sansa the best of the Stark kid povs. If it was 1998 GRRM it could be really cool to see both her and Arya basically grow up to be what they dreamed of while realizing that Queen and Assassin are miserable jobs, you will hate yourself, everyone will hate you, and the world is a gently caress

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

sam is the smartest, he spent one day in the citadel and earned a full maester's chain

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

It's that he's a bastard. ...

Best case for him is he gets his surname switched from Snow to Waters and gets sent as a diplomatically down to Dorne where they don't care as much about this sort of thing (although they still definitely do, a lot!). But he never becomes king.

He's not a legitimate Stark (in the male line) but he is a legitimate Targaryen. That's the whole point of the book Gilly found and Sam took credit for: it records the wedding of Rhaegar and Lyanna, and very few people even question it once it's brought up. He's definitely not disqualified from the throne by birth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyChecker posted:

one of the castle fights looked like there were fewer people fighting than in a typical golden corral on a friday night

the coreography was worse too

they probably pocketed the budget for extras

like, I live in a country filled with castles in turn filled with weirdos who pretend to be medieval for payment, you'd think we're the only country where this happens, based on stuff like this.

you can bet your rear end a German version of GOT would have had the producers going to a place like Burg Katzenstein and pay the performers to be extras for their castle fights

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is the thing about Robb Stark legitimising Jon Snow as Jon Stark and King of the North in the show? I don't remember at all, much like the show.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is the thing about Robb Stark legitimising Jon Snow as Jon Stark and King of the North in the show? I don't remember at all, much like the show.

and then jon snow flew a dragon. and then he said "im the king now!!" and he kissed danaerys. and daenarys went evil and killed a bunch of commoners. you had to be there

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

actually he spends an entire season almost exclusively saying "no ah dont wonner be king" "no a dont won it" "a don won it"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol that reminds me of another Netflix show, the Medici one. Much like GoT, it has lots of medieval weirdos running around hitting each other with swords and taking their shirts off. Not great, fine romp though.

But it has Robb Stark and Sean Bean as Cosimo de’Medici and Iacopo Pazzi, respectively. And surrounded by posh and italian actors they make no attempt to do anything but the exact same gruff northern sword man persona despite being supposedly these cunning scheming banker types. It’s really funny

Season One feels less like Cosimo biopic and more “Robb Stark goes to Firenze” isekai

mewse
May 2, 2006

actually he spends an entire season almost exclusively saying "no ah dont wonner be king" "no a dont won it" "a don won it"

ah yeah, probably

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is the book out yet?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

some bust on that guy posted:

Is the book out yet?

(((soon)))

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I can't remember: in the show, is Rickon's absence ever mentioned when Bran and Arya return to Winterfell? Do they know what happened to their baby brother? Do they care?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LiterallyATomato posted:

I can't remember: in the show, is Rickon's absence ever mentioned when Bran and Arya return to Winterfell? Do they know what happened to their baby brother? Do they care?

No, and presumably no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Some listening material:

Preston Jacobs lamenting Tyrion's Dance chapters' role in murdering the pace of the entire series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4nzigFM7mY

Glidus and Alt Shift X rating all of George's food descriptions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?7AVe5hBGrPI(Part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?-MwifSqjOV8 (Part 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?7AVe5hBGrPI (Part 3)

They're kind of fun podcast-y listens since I spend most of my waking hours at my job these days.