Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

I've seen people complain about the 500 word minimum to submit a story to RR and I'm just confused
TBF I've mostly seen that complaint in reference to update posts rather than actual story chapters. Which yeah that's valid, it's annoying to have to slap a few hundred extra words onto something like "Sorry, I'm going on hiatus for two months cause my house is full of spiders."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wittgen posted:

It is going to be so satisfying to see him push through those complications. That one teacher who is pissed that Alden is being admitted? In 30 chapters when Alden wins his respect, it is going to be immensely satisfying.

I like to imagine the Alden on Earth arc as that one meme with a guy in the corner, but it's Alden thinking, They don't know I'm a wizard.

Sup sup 77 it's gonna be weird, that's for sure. I mean, he's going to level up at an odd rate (faster because of wizard, slower because of advice from mother to wait as long as he can stand between affixations) , he's not going to show many results from the level up on his sheet because he wants to be boring and because he's not going to be pumping his stats hard compared to his skill, he's going to be spending a bunch of free time practicing wizard skills rather than whatever his courses say, and oh yeah he's gonna spend months at a time crippled from existential pain and unable to use his skills. So I genuinely have no idea how hero school will play out

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

awesmoe posted:

Sup sup 77 it's gonna be weird, that's for sure. I mean, he's going to level up at an odd rate (faster because of wizard, slower because of advice from mother to wait as long as he can stand between affixations) , he's not going to show many results from the level up on his sheet because he wants to be boring and because he's not going to be pumping his stats hard compared to his skill, he's going to be spending a bunch of free time practicing wizard skills rather than whatever his courses say, and oh yeah he's gonna spend months at a time crippled from existential pain and unable to use his skills. So I genuinely have no idea how hero school will play out

Also (SupSup 77) getting frequently summoned to the triplanets with 48 seconds notice, possibly in the middle of an exam, once his six month vacation is over.

I was having a conversation about that on the discord, and people were thinking he'd use his one quarter off for the recovery period, but I was thinking it might be best to do one quarter of only academic classes, no heroing. He can tell people he's using his deferred no summoning time/refusals for that to make sure he doesn't get summoned during finals or whatever, and he'll be getting a two month mental wellness vacation from summonings anyways so it'll kind of be true.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bremen posted:

Also (SupSup 77) getting frequently summoned to the triplanets with 48 seconds notice, possibly in the middle of an exam, once his six month vacation is over.

I was having a conversation about that on the discord, and people were thinking he'd use his one quarter off for the recovery period, but I was thinking it might be best to do one quarter of only academic classes, no heroing. He can tell people he's using his deferred no summoning time/refusals for that to make sure he doesn't get summoned during finals or whatever, and he'll be getting a two month mental wellness vacation from summonings anyways so it'll kind of be true.

SupSup 77
I'm sure that since any Avowed could get summoned at any time (though rabbits are more likely than any other and with less than a minute notice) that the school will make accommodations for Alden getting whisked off in the middle of an exam. Alden is probably more so concerned with having to affix mid-semester and being unable to use his skills for his classes.

He may want to affix while on Artona I though, since I'm not sure that the Earth Contract will give him the 2-month wellness period, while Mother almost certainly will. Plus she just offers better advice on affixation anyway. Luckily for Alden, he has an excuse to visit Artona I fairly frequently now with the open invitation from Stuart so he doesn't have to rely on a lucky summons to the homeworld.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

awesmoe posted:

Remember that the recovery from this last affixation was the worst it's going to be, since he won't be having affixations quite that big in the future. And IIRC it took two months for him to recover from this? I forget the exact time involved. So I doubt he'd be out of commision for more than a month or so for future ones.

Wittgen posted:

It is really odd. I myself love power fantasies, and that is exactly why I love this chapter so much. It is setting up a delightful gauntlet of self interested people that are going to complicate life for our hero. It is going to be so satisfying to see him push through those complications. That one teacher who is pissed that Alden is being admitted? In 30 chapters when Alden wins his respect, it is going to be immensely satisfying. The PR teacher and Alden are going to drive each other crazy. The Velras being incidentally scorned over and over is going to be so funny.

I like to imagine the Alden on Earth arc as that one meme with a guy in the corner, but it's Alden thinking, They don't know I'm a wizard.

The other thing is that the teachers (I think it's mostly the principal and Torsten Klein) aren't pissed because they don't like Alden. In fact it's the opposite - they're pissed because they think they're letting Alden make a poor decision because it will benefit their school. If anything, their decision to try and discourage Alden is the most well-intentioned one. They realize that just rejecting him would cause him to get admitted somewhere else, so the only way to prevent him from pursuing this goal is to somehow make him change his mind. Their school stands to solely benefit from admitting him, but it rubs them the wrong way to (from their perspective) let this poor kid waste his time pursuing an unrealistic goal.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Remember that the recovery from this last affixation was the worst it's going to be, since he won't be having affixations quite that big in the future. And IIRC it took two months for him to recover from this? I forget the exact time involved. So I doubt he'd be out of commision for more than a month or so for future ones.

The other thing is that the teachers (I think it's mostly the principal and Torsten Klein) aren't pissed because they don't like Alden. In fact it's the opposite - they're pissed because they think they're letting Alden make a poor decision because it will benefit their school. If anything, their decision to try and discourage Alden is the most well-intentioned one. They realize that just rejecting him would cause him to get admitted somewhere else, so the only way to prevent him from pursuing this goal is to somehow make him change his mind. Their school stands to solely benefit from admitting him, but it rubs them the wrong way to (from their perspective) let this poor kid waste his time pursuing an unrealistic goal.

It was (SupSup 77) about a month and a half for the recovery, I think. That said, I don't believe it's stated anywhere that future affixations will be easier than this one. If anything, future affixations will be bigger, just a smaller percentage of his total authority. But the impression I got was the recovery time is always about the same.

I'm very curious if Torsten will bring up the fact that they can't give skill advice to rabbits in the interview and if he does, if Alden will mention that he doesn't need it. If that happens I could see Torsten's opinion of taking him improving since that seemed to be his major objection; I kind of get the feeling that winning Torsten's approval is going to be part of the current storyline, since he seems to be set up as too important a character to drop after the interview.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hey, is anyone else following Calamity Mandate? I've been reading it for a year now and I like it more than a bit, but I have no idea how to write a rec post for it. I just do not know how to sell this one to people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

It was (SupSup 77) about a month and a half for the recovery, I think. That said, I don't believe it's stated anywhere that future affixations will be easier than this one. If anything, future affixations will be bigger, just a smaller percentage of his total authority. But the impression I got was the recovery time is always about the same.

I'm very curious if Torsten will bring up the fact that they can't give skill advice to rabbits in the interview and if he does, if Alden will mention that he doesn't need it. If that happens I could see Torsten's opinion of taking him improving since that seemed to be his major objection; I kind of get the feeling that winning Torsten's approval is going to be part of the current storyline, since he seems to be set up as too important a character to drop after the interview.

I don't think it's a question of approval. I think Torsten and the others respect Alden just fine. But he/they don't see a reasonable path forward for him, and nothing Alden says or does in the near future is likely to change that, at least until it becomes clear that Alden's growth and abilities are abnormal. The point he and others made is that they can't think of any path forward for Alden. It doesn't matter how well Alden can use his Skill, because they believe it will cap at 10 (at best). And once it does, they won't know of any other Rabbit options Alden could pursue to get better at hero work. He'll just be an Avowed with a single decent Skill and *way* fewer foundation points than his peers, with the gap only becoming wider with each year.

They even explicitly mention Alden hitting his peak in a few years - in other words, they realize Alden might be able to perform reasonably well early on (and they all agree he did well in the exam and would have no problem admitting him if he were a different Class/Rank). But they can't think of any way he could continue to keep up with the progress required to be a hero.

Basically, it's not about Alden himself - it's about his Class and Rank. To change their minds, Alden needs to prove that his situation is completely outside of the norm, and Alden himself doesn't want to do that any time soon. Alden performing well in school wouldn't change their minds, because they've already acknowledged that there's nothing wrong with his personal abilities. IIRC they even explicitly say that the situation would be easier to deal with if Alden didn't perform so well.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bog Standard 3-16 Brin just can’t catch a break, can he? I’m a real sucker for stories where the protagonist has to claw their way forward by making choices that may be necessary right now but will absolutely be terrible for them in the long run.

I wonder what makes this one an “evil class”? To me, the whole “the class makes you evil” thing seems kind of misplaced, because the only example we have is Witch, which actively incentivizes evil behavior by granting the holder abilities that can really only be used in evil ways and then giving out tons of XP for using them. What about getting hurt a lot and healing quickly is explicitly evil?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think it's a question of approval. I think Torsten and the others respect Alden just fine. But he/they don't see a reasonable path forward for him, and nothing Alden says or does in the near future is likely to change that, at least until it becomes clear that Alden's growth and abilities are abnormal. The point he and others made is that they can't think of any path forward for Alden. It doesn't matter how well Alden can use his Skill, because they believe it will cap at 10 (at best). And once it does, they won't know of any other Rabbit options Alden could pursue to get better at hero work. He'll just be an Avowed with a single decent Skill and *way* fewer foundation points than his peers, with the gap only becoming wider with each year.

They even explicitly mention Alden hitting his peak in a few years - in other words, they realize Alden might be able to perform reasonably well early on (and they all agree he did well in the exam and would have no problem admitting him if he were a different Class/Rank). But they can't think of any way he could continue to keep up with the progress required to be a hero.

Basically, it's not about Alden himself - it's about his Class and Rank. To change their minds, Alden needs to prove that his situation is completely outside of the norm, and Alden himself doesn't want to do that any time soon. Alden performing well in school wouldn't change their minds, because they've already acknowledged that there's nothing wrong with his personal abilities. IIRC they even explicitly say that the situation would be easier to deal with if Alden didn't perform so well.

(SupSup 77) I was talking about approval of him attending the school. And all Alden has to do to deal with those concerns if they actually mention them to him is to say "oh, I already have a skill plan." There are plenty of ways he could have gotten that information, like asking a Griveck, and they already suspect he knew what the luggage skill did so it wouldn't even seem that odd. If they ask, he can even (truthfully) say he can't talk about it because of an oath tattoo. I'm just curious if he'll do that and if so how Torsten's reaction to him will change.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

blastron posted:

Bog Standard 3-16 Brin just can’t catch a break, can he? I’m a real sucker for stories where the protagonist has to claw their way forward by making choices that may be necessary right now but will absolutely be terrible for them in the long run.

I wonder what makes this one an “evil class”? To me, the whole “the class makes you evil” thing seems kind of misplaced, because the only example we have is Witch, which actively incentivizes evil behavior by granting the holder abilities that can really only be used in evil ways and then giving out tons of XP for using them. What about getting hurt a lot and healing quickly is explicitly evil?

Bog Standard 3-16

I think he just knows it is an evil class and the sales pitch left out the all the stuff the class will ask you to do for XP, kind of what you'd expect a salesman for an evil class to do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

(SupSup 77) I was talking about approval of him attending the school. And all Alden has to do to deal with those concerns if they actually mention them to him is to say "oh, I already have a skill plan." There are plenty of ways he could have gotten that information, like asking a Griveck, and they already suspect he knew what the luggage skill did so it wouldn't even seem that odd. If they ask, he can even (truthfully) say he can't talk about it because of an oath tattoo. I'm just curious if he'll do that and if so how Torsten's reaction to him will change.

I've also considered Alden going the "I have reasons but can't discuss them because of the tattoo" route, but I feel like the instructors don't really have a reason to believe Alden understands what's necessary to become a hero. From their perspective, the idea of a B-Rank Rabbit being a viable hero is just profoundly far-fetched. Griveck Ryeh'bts are all very high-Rank and comprised of the strongest Avowed in their society, so the instructors aren't even wrong when they say "that doesn't apply to a B-Rank human." Also, because of the way the Rabbit class works, the instructors (correctly!) believe that he won't be picking up any significant new Skills, since Rabbits usually focus on a single main Skill and normally wouldn't be able to acquire another of similar Rank for many years. So any additional Skills/spells Alden picked up while in high school and college wouldn't be higher than C-Rank (if that), and they're probably not wrong about no low-Rank Rabbit Skills being suited to heroics. So Alden can say he has a Skill plan, but the instructors have no reason to believe it's anything good enough to make him a viable hero. Alden's future potential pretty much centers entirely on the unique nature of his Skill + absurd rate of growth, and he can't/won't reveal those things.

So all I'm saying is that Alden can't really do anything in the near future to prove the instructors wrong, because even if he performs really well it still wouldn't address their concerns (which would all be 100% valid if not for Alden having a Skill + growth rate that is unprecedented to their knowledge). I expect this to be the case until at least after his next affixation (which I still think will be a turning point of sorts, since he probably won't be able to hide his unnatural growth at that point).

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

blastron posted:

(Bog Standard 3-16) Definitely also a fan of this chapter's ending.

The Illusionist mentions in the chapter that "Evil Classes have a tendency to change your outlook. Perhaps even alter your personality." It's not just that they give you incentives to do bad things, it's that unlike normal classes, they inherently change who you are. Normal Warriors probably don't have Pain Resistance, for example, which the Scarred One says "you'll feel [pain] as information, and as fuel to push you to greater focus and ferocity." The use of "push you" makes it sound like the personality alteration of Scarred One is in that skill. And Scarred One's whole design is encouraging you to constantly be in pain, which means that the personality altering factor of Pain Resistance is constantly in effect. As far as Evil Classes go it seems like a pretty scary one!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

quote:

I’m a real sucker for stories where the protagonist has to claw their way forward by making choices that may be necessary right now but will absolutely be terrible for them in the long run.

I'm reading a trash numbers-go-up one called *ahem* Accidental Champion: A LitRPG Apocalypse Tower Climber which (you may be surprised to hear) is a litrpg apocalypse tower climber which has elements of this. The dude has some initial advantages but stumbles on a lead in a way that makes him feel guilty about it, and then he (justifiably) feels like he has to take every chance at power he can so he can go home and save earth from The Invading Hordes. None of this is new ground, but watching the guy decide between the literal-harvesting-souls class and a diablo-2 style corpse explosion class when he still thinks hes a hero is pretty fun.

It's no better written than the hundreds of other litrpgapocalypsetowerclimber-likes, but the author is definitely aware of what they're doing with the 'are we the baddies' vibe and im interested enough in the train wreck to see where they go with it. It is like 95% straight litrpg and 5% character tho - i dont want anyone to accuse me of actually recommending it or anything. its not good. just to be clear.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

blastron posted:

Bog Standard 3-16 It could also be that Scarred One tends to be offered to people who have experienced a whole lot of physical and mental trauma and most of them tend to be hosed up even before they get class.

But yes, I suspect there might be an element of the system whispering like "hey, if you shove this poker up your rear end, you'll get SO MANY xp points, bruh".

It could also deaden you not just to physical pain but also to all sort of emotions, which will for sure change your personality.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is Bog Standard worth catching up on? I figured I'd leave it six months or so for it to get out of childhood village stage.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I looked through the thread and collected some recs (no one responded to most of these lol):

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Hey, is anyone else following Calamity Mandate? I've been reading it for a year now and I like it more than a bit, but I have no idea how to write a rec post for it. I just do not know how to sell this one to people.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Enjoyed In Loki's Honor. Isekaied into a generic fantasy world MC sets about saving it from the rear end in a top hat Gods.

awesmoe posted:

I'm reading a trash numbers-go-up one called *ahem* Accidental Champion: A LitRPG Apocalypse Tower Climber which (you may be surprised to hear) is a litrpg apocalypse tower climber which has elements of this.

Ytlaya posted:

I've been really enjoying the new series by the "Outcast from Another World" author ("Skill Thief's Canvas"). I'm up to chapter 12 now, which is the current Patreon chapter (RR is up to 6, which basically concludes the first arc). It started off a little awkward, but the Patreon seems like it's reaching the climax of its second arc, and I think the basic structure of the story is very promising and creates a good framework for having substantive individual arcs that don't fall victim to the sort of story-telling a lot of "progression" stories suffer from.

So far I'd actually say it's a bit better than Outcast. Outcast is fun, but definitely just feels like "a pretty good 'progression' web novel" for the most part.

Cynic Jester posted:

I read 129 chapters of Return of the Runebound Professor on the train yesterday, which scratched that itch for me. A somewhat crunchy cultivation system that the MC gets to exploit.

Nettle Soup posted:

Chaotic Craftsman Worships the Cube is kinda neat, in a numbers-go-up way. Group of people get Isekaied into a world which is ending, in the vain hope that they can save it, and the MC gets told he's no good and abandoned. This gives him an inferiority complex and he starts making armour instead.

I haven't read it in a while because it felt like it was wrapping up, and I figured I'd wait for it to end, but for something that opens so lightly, Edge Cases becomes surprisingly melancholy. It's the story of a group of adventurers in a dying world basically just coming to terms with that fact. Numbers do indeed go up, but they also go down sometimes too. :'(

I keep meaning to catch up on Darkhelm. It was a very traditional feeling dark fantasy with added numbers, when I last checked in around chapter 20 or so. It's up to 50-odd now, and it was a Writathon effort to begin with so might have some rough edges, but it seemed good.

Sax Battler posted:

I've been enjoying Dungeon Planet.
It's about an aspiring human dungeon diver in a very much non-human dominated sci-fi/magic universe.
Some system stuff, but not too much, and it's treated as something very alien, since it, well, is.
Still early days, but I've liked it so far.

Onean posted:

• (The one non-LitRPG) Odyssey of the Ethereal (link): A raid leader for an MMO dies, and two of her team turn out to be Primordial Gods who ask her to reincarnate as her character and grow in power to face the Goddess of Misery. While not litRPG, it does have simplified cultivation as progression and tower climbing, so it's not far off. It's pure wish fulfillment, but fun so far. I'm a little worried about how things are going to keep up, though, since the MC's charged with climbing 10 towers and she's only just nearing the end of her first.
  • *Mirror World: Goddess Transformation! (link): A college student who's had a bad day winds up getting pulled into a System world as a goddess when she goes to buy a replacement tarot deck after her last was stolen. Her Domain is Mirrors, and she seems to be primarily able to contact people in and around a nation called the Dominion of Wisdom, which doesn't take kindly to gods and spirits. While LitRPG, it's more like the TTRPGs that use keyworded abilities and loosely defined classes, but aren't big on crunchy stats and numbers.
  • Dark Lord of the Farmstead (link): After he dies, a man gets pulled by the System to take the place of, essentially, his soul twin who's a Necromancer-King on the eve of his final battle to wipe out the high elves. He fakes his death, poorly, sets out to start a new life as a farmer and comes across a high elf fleeing for her life and a half-elven child that's on her own. This one's pretty Slice of Life and tooth-achingly sweet at times, but it's not just idle daily life stuff.
  • *Saga of Ebonheim (link): Ebonheim is a small village of people that are, for one reason or another, tired of living under the ever-present gods that rule over the nations, cities, towns and villages of the world. They've settled far away from others, deep in a forest, and the Elders come to a decision to try and fake a protector god named after their village to keep them safe from other gods and possibly begin to heal from the abuses in their past. (Un?)fortunately, their faith gives birth to a new goddess, and now she, and the village, have to find their place in the world. I'm finding this one really charming. It's not quite Slice of Life, but not really adventury, either.
  • Another Dungeon Core (link): A forever-DM dies and gets reincarnated as a Dungeon Core. He's one of those "Good DMs," and his habits from that history carry over into his new life. This one has a few rough opening chapters and seemed to be a pretty standard example that I'd eventually grow bored of and just stop reading, but the side characters and events have all kept me interested more than most Dungeon Core stories do. It's got 31 chapters so far, though, so that could change in the future.
  • The Forerunner Initiative (link): This is a rewrite of To Play With Magic. I never read that, so I don't know how much things have changed, but TFI has been ahead of where TPWM stopped for a couple months now. If you're not familiar with either one, it's a System Apocalypse story, but a group of people from Earth are pulled into the System early and placed on another planet as a trial before the whole thing hits our planet. That gives Lexi, the MC, and the people pulled with her time to learn as much as they can and get back to Earth to prepare for or possibly stop the Mana Storms brought by the System before they cause problems. There's a lot more that's gained my interest as the story's gone on, but they're way too spoilery and lengthy to get into here when this post is already longer than I thought it would be. I will mention that the story is going to Kindle Unlimited, and thus will be stubbed tomorrow, July 25th. If you're at all interested in reading this and don't want to binge the chapters, the author is giving out ARCs of book 1, the Prologue and 32ish chapters being taken down, on their Discord until July 30th. RR post with info.

From a couple months ago, but this is another one that I've thoroughly enjoyed since picking up. It's also much farther along than Another Dungeon Core above, at 170 chapters, so it seems to be one that's going to stick around for me. The blurb is really simplistic and doesn't give much to go on, but I think the story's worth a try if you're not deathly allergic to LitRPGs. The side characters are all really fun, both the dungeon dwellers and the people in the city, and the MC's not bad himself. I kinda wish his engineering background came into play a little more actively instead of just being something he mentions now and then, but it's a small complaint in comparison to the more interesting stuff that's going on.

John Lee posted:

Also big in the last handful of pages: Time to Orbit: Unknown! Fella wakes up out of cryosleep on a busted generation ship, has to keep everything running and survive.

https://derinstories.com/2022/06/04/001-the-problem-with-the-javelin-program/

Edit: Also I personally really like Apparatus of Change, which doesn't get a lot of play around here. Might be described as a Dungeon Core story, but... that'd be wrong, because it contains all the trappings of the genre, while being totally different in tone, goals, etc.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/57115/apparatus-of-change/chapter/960008/chapter-001

I'll put these on my to-read pile. Thanks for the recs.

Nettle Soup posted:

Is Bog Standard worth catching up on? I figured I'd leave it six months or so for it to get out of childhood village stage.

Well, I'm pretty sure the village is about to be burnt down so maybe?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I've also been reading Mirror World: Goddess Transformation based off the Rec, and it's a fun light read. Not too amazing, but enjoyable - in the long run the authors lack of worldbuilding chops will let them down but for now it's good a good rate of progression for a power fantasy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bremen posted:

The Game at Carousel: A Horror Movie LitRPG does something more innovative with the LitRPG model, and that alone would be enough to catch my interest.
A group of teens going to vacation at a lakeside cabin (of course) end up trapped in a strange town where horror movies come to life. But the tropes and cliches of horror movies benefit them as much as they threaten them, hence where the LitRPG elements come in. For example, the protagonist gets the ability "Oblivious Bystander" which means that as long as he seems not to notice the monster/murderer/etc they won't attack him, and is intent on rules lawyering that as much as he can in order to survive. There's stats as well, but it's a fairly simplified model that just compares a few stats; if there's a chase scene success comes down to whether the player or monster has the higher Hustle stat; if the athlete tries to fight off the monster with a baseball bat it's about whether his Mettle is higher than the monster's Grit, etc.
It's a story about horror movies, but it's not actually a horror story, if that makes sense. The characters know what's up, and are well aware that using genre savvyness is how to stay alive; they're not peering out into the dark in terror wondering if there's a monster, they're peering carefully into the dark to try to figure out if the monster is a vampire, werewolf, or ghost, because knowing will help them find out what they need to do to survive. It actually kind of reminds me of Dungeon Crawler Carl, only (ironically) probably less grim. Though it's not a comedy either, even if I actually thought it might be from the description due to how the Oblivious Bystander thing works.
I'm only about halfway through what's available so far (and I consider long stories to be a bonus) but I'm enjoying it and will be continuing. It may not be a great story, depending on how you measure that, but I think it's definitely a fun one.

Einander posted:

Bremen mentioned The Game At Carousel a couple posts back and I've been reading through that one off and on over the last few days. I'm in the mid-60s right now. I have somewhat mixed feelings.

The two things that stand out the most to me are 1) what Bremen noted about it being a story about horror that isn't a horror story, and 2) its relative lack of interest in the characters as characters rather than as roles.

On topic 1... Like, the fact that there's a community there and that they do community things because it's ultimately a cooperative game makes sense and it's a natural outcome of the situation as presented, but I was very nonplussed that as soon as they step into the magic town friendly survivors show up, give them a standard tour, hand them the basic explanation of everything, and then point them toward a level-appropriate challenge so they can grind stats. The fact it starts out by so thoroughly undercutting any real sense of horror or mystery means that the story's later turns towards those tones as things get more complicated don't work that well. The characters just know too much about the basic rules!

On topic 2... The story starts by sketching an awkward social situation the main character's in (on a trip with a friend who he's grown distant from) and early chapters reveal it's even more awkward (said friend was told to invite him, rather than inviting him himself). There's another character he's got a crush on. These things are gestured at occasionally, but they're basically ignored; past the first handful of chapters you could replace his friend with another person with the same in-story LitRPG role and very little would change about their scenes. One character reveals their big tragic past, but it's entirely so that they're pushing the main character into a plot. The story is just so transparently mechanical about its characters.

The writing itself is competent enough and the concept is fun, but tone and characters are basically the heart of a story and The Game At Carousel has pretty big gaps in both respects. I'm planning to finish what's there but I'm not going to follow it as a serial.

I've read through what's available of Carousel at the moment.

Given its premise (the protags are going through motions reenacting horror stories in a litrpg environment and while there is risk of death while you're in a scenario, it's much less so than if they were actually in one of these horrible situations) it was never going to be as tense as actual horror stories, but yeah, the story feels somewhat flat.

I reckon part of it is the litrpg thing deflating the tension, sure, but the vibe I am getting is that this is simply the author's first (publically) published work and they just don't quite have the chops yet to make an ensemble cast all distinct and compelling and to make things as tense as they could be. They leaned into what they could control at their current skill level - the worldbuilding and setting up mysteries - and are doing the best they can with other aspects of telling stories, trying to work and improve on it as they go along. (And I do think there's a bit of progress when comparing the first chapters to the latest. I thought the underground facility arc was pretty fun, more fun than the slasher movie or the haunted castle.)

I am curious enough about the overarching mysteries of the story that I'll keep following it for now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I click all the recs!

Dungeon Planet was cool but seems to have been abandoned now that the author has gotten past the initial worldbuilding phase.

Time to Orbit Unknown is solid and you should get on that!

I read Mirror World: Goddess Transformation when it was extremely new and wasn't impressed tbh. It doesn't do anything new and the main character wasn't interesting or well written to make up for it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SupSup77:

Ytlaya posted:

Basically, it's not about Alden himself - it's about his Class and Rank.

This is my objection to Klein's behavior in a nutshell. I guess we just disagree about if it's reasonable. I agree his arguments sound reasonable at first glance, but I don't think it requires special knowledge he can't have to find reasons to think the arguments he advances aren't as solid as they seem initially.

For me it comes down to Klein knowing he doesn't know the things he thinks he knows. There aren't even any examples of Rabbits unsuccessfully trying to be heroes he can use to justify his position. He's using a complete absence of knowledge to be very confidently wrong while simultaneously rejecting the evidence of his own senses.

To me, his arguments sound a lot like:
Women\Rabbits can't fight. Ignore the fact that Russian & Scythian & Sarmatian & etc\Grivek women\rabbits have done so successfully for centuries.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 19, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I've also considered Alden going the "I have reasons but can't discuss them because of the tattoo" route, but I feel like the instructors don't really have a reason to believe Alden understands what's necessary to become a hero. From their perspective, the idea of a B-Rank Rabbit being a viable hero is just profoundly far-fetched. Griveck Ryeh'bts are all very high-Rank and comprised of the strongest Avowed in their society, so the instructors aren't even wrong when they say "that doesn't apply to a B-Rank human." Also, because of the way the Rabbit class works, the instructors (correctly!) believe that he won't be picking up any significant new Skills, since Rabbits usually focus on a single main Skill and normally wouldn't be able to acquire another of similar Rank for many years. So any additional Skills/spells Alden picked up while in high school and college wouldn't be higher than C-Rank (if that), and they're probably not wrong about no low-Rank Rabbit Skills being suited to heroics. So Alden can say he has a Skill plan, but the instructors have no reason to believe it's anything good enough to make him a viable hero. Alden's future potential pretty much centers entirely on the unique nature of his Skill + absurd rate of growth, and he can't/won't reveal those things.

So all I'm saying is that Alden can't really do anything in the near future to prove the instructors wrong, because even if he performs really well it still wouldn't address their concerns (which would all be 100% valid if not for Alden having a Skill + growth rate that is unprecedented to their knowledge). I expect this to be the case until at least after his next affixation (which I still think will be a turning point of sorts, since he probably won't be able to hide his unnatural growth at that point).

Well, (SupSup 77) that's not a Rabbit specific issue - no one (normally) gets higher ranking skills until late in their career. The thing is, if the A rank Meister of Bows gets a new D rank skill, they can push him towards getting one that lets him calculate ballistics better, or climb buildings, or whatever, because they've trained meisters of bows before and know what works for them. As Torsten points out, there totally could be D rank rabbit skills that would help Alden be a hero, the school just doesn't know what they are. So Alden saying he already got build advice would help there, because as far as I can tell that was Torsten's sole objection. So Alden actually having advice from someone who would know seems like it would go a long way towards relieving that objection.

LLSix posted:

SupSup77:

This is my objection to Klein's behavior in a nutshell. I guess we just disagree about if it's reasonable. I agree they sound reasonable at first glance, but I don't think it requires special knowledge he can't have to find reasons to think the arguments he advances aren't as solid as they seem initially.

For me it comes down to Klein knowing he doesn't know the things he thinks he knows. There aren't even any examples of Rabbits unsuccessfully trying to be heroes he can use to justify his position. He's using a complete absence of knowledge to be very confidently wrong while simultaneously rejecting the evidence of his own senses.

To me, his arguments sound a lot like:
Women\Rabbits can't fight. Ignore the fact that Russian & Scythian & Sarmatian & etc\Grivek women\rabbits have done so successfully for centuries.

I mean, (SupSup 77) Torsten is specifically the only one in the chapter that acknowledges there might be Rabbit skills useful for heroing. He just thinks the school can't help Alden be a better hero. My read on him was exactly the opposite of yours - in your analogy he's the one pointing out that there are women that can fight while everyone else says they can't (he even specifically points out that Griveck rabbits make it work).

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 19, 2023

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Bremen posted:

Well, (SupSup 77) that's not a Rabbit specific issue - no one (normally) gets higher ranking skills until late in their career. The thing is, if the A rank Meister of Bows gets a new D rank skill, they can push him towards getting one that lets him calculate ballistics better, or climb buildings, or whatever, because they've trained meisters of bows before and know what works for them. As Torsten points out, there totally could be D rank rabbit skills that would help Alden be a hero, the school just doesn't know what they are. So Alden saying he already got build advice would help there, because as far as I can tell that was Torsten's sole objection. So Alden actually having advice from someone who would know seems like it would go a long way towards relieving that objection.

I mean, (SupSup 77) Torsten is specifically the only one in the chapter that acknowledges there might be Rabbit skills useful for heroing. He just thinks the school can't help Alden be a better hero. My read on him was exactly the opposite of yours - in your analogy he's the one pointing out that there are women that can fight while everyone else says they can't (he even specifically points out that Griveck rabbits make it work).

Right but if not them, who? Okay, they won't be able to optimally help because they don't have experience doing it. Granted. There's got to be a first for any class, and there are also the Uniques (and a powerful Unique in the room!). It really does come off poorly IMO.

This isn't surprising since this is the society that exists primarily to sell juice substitute and mollify the powerful, and rewards and disciplines appropriately. Look at how much of the chapter is pointing out that the real thing that matters is influence, the chapter opens with a discussion about how much heroing is really about branding and sponsorship!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Brain Candy posted:

Right but if not them, who? Okay, they won't be able to optimally help because they don't have experience doing it. Granted. There's got to be a first for any class, and there are also the Uniques (and a powerful Unique in the room!). It really does come off poorly IMO.

This isn't surprising since this is the society that exists primarily to sell juice substitute and mollify the powerful, and rewards and disciplines appropriately. Look at how much of the chapter is pointing out that the real thing that matters is influence, the chapter opens with a discussion about how much heroing is really about branding and sponsorship!

(SupSup 77) Well, it's not unreasonable that a school with a lot of rabbits would know better what rabbit skills might be useful in combat than CNH. They might not have the experience or resources to train Alden in combat specifically, but they would be better at helping him pick skills. Torsten does offer as an alternative that he should go elsewhere until he has found more skills and then apply at the university level to their hero program, when CNH's lack of knowledge of rabbit skills would be less of an issue. Given what he knows that might be honestly the best advice he can give to Alden.

Also, accepting Alden means not accepting someone else that they might be able to help more. If they can't maximize Alden's potential but can maximize someone else's, it's simple math that it would be better to take a comparable candidate of a different class if there is one instead of Alden.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 19, 2023

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Bremen posted:

(SupSup 77) Well, it's not unreasonable that a school with a lot of rabbits would know better what rabbit skills might be useful in combat than CNH. They might not have the experience or resources to train Alden in combat specifically, but they would be better at helping him pick skills. Torsten does offer as an alternative that he should go elsewhere until he has found more skills and then apply at the university level to their hero program, which given what he knows might be honestly the best advice he can give to Alden.

Also, accepting Alden means not accepting someone else that they might be able to help more. If they can't maximize Alden's potential but can maximize someone else's, it's simple math that it would be better to take a comparable candidate of a different class if there is one instead of Alden.

The point about Scythians is to note that Rabbits being non-combat is cultural, as already highlighted by the griveks. It was never that women couldn't fight, it was that they weren't culturally coded as fighters in certain societies. The analogy is pretty direct, Rabbits are domestic and therefore clearly (:rolleyes:) unsuited for dangerous duties. Just :biotruths:.

Of course there will never be a known human combat Rabbit if every human with the inclination is shooed away from any support for exploring it! Society has an alternative role for them!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Brain Candy posted:

The point about Scythians is to note that Rabbits being non-combat is cultural, as already highlighted by the griveks. It was never that women couldn't fight, it was that they weren't culturally coded as fighters in certain societies. The analogy is pretty direct, Rabbits are domestic and therefore clearly (:rolleyes:) unsuited for dangerous duties. Just :biotruths:.

Of course there will never be a known human combat Rabbit if every human with the inclination is shooed away from any support for exploring it! Society has an alternative role for them!

My point is Torsten (and to a degree Arjun) are the ones in the chapter that push back against that idea. It's the other characters that espouse Rabbits are the non-combat classes so they can't be a hero, Torsten outright disagrees saying he thinks it's quite possible Rabbits can fight just fine, even as the others disagree with him.

I'm not saying that no one claims that, I'm saying I respect Torsten because he's the one that doesn't, even if he has other reasons he doesn't think Alden is suitable for CNH.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

No. He is still in the village. He did just get his adult class. The entire arc has wavered between boring and stupid. The last few chapters have been so arbitrary and involved so much stupid on everyone’s part that they’ve thoroughly convinced me it won’t ever pull up and be enjoyable.

The classing up process borrows heavily from BtDEM, but is executed not nearly as well. Pretty much all the changes make for a worse story.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 19, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 77

Yeah, ironically, I think the two characters who outright vote against Alden here are the ones most unambiguously on his side. They either think there's nothing the school can offer him (Torsten) or think that Alden is trying to become Hannah in his grief over her death and trauma of the last half-year (Arjun).

Everyone else sees what they think is a doomed rabbit and says "let him in, we can milk him dry (principal and Colibrí)" or were probably ordered to get him in because of the desire of a matriarch (Skiff)"

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 77

Yeah, ironically, I think the two characters who outright vote against Alden here are the ones most unambiguously on his side. They either think there's nothing the school can offer him (Torsten) or think that Alden is trying to become Hannah in his grief over her death and trauma of the last half-year (Arjun).

Everyone else sees what they think is a doomed rabbit and says "let him in, we can milk him dry (principal and Colibrí)" or were probably ordered to get him in because of the desire of a matriarch (Skiff)"

Agreed for the most part, but (SupSup 77) I read the principal differently. I think she acknowledges the orders from above and that she can't straight up refuse, but is trying to undermine them. Like, they hired a worse psychologist to make sure he wouldn't get denied on mental health grounds, so she has a better one watch him during the testing. She knows if CNH turns him down he'll just get accepted to another less principled hero school, so she doesn't turn him down, but she does everything she can to try to encourage him to withdraw - arranging for him to be in the combat tests instead of the individual power assessment, making sure Arjun is one of the alumni so he'd get a personalized evaluation from a hero he respects trying to discourage him from attending until he's in better mental shape, and so on.

I think the principal is one of the ones trying the most to help Alden in this chapter, she's just being subtle about it.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
If you're behind on Bog Standard, I would probably wait a week or 2 unless you want to get caught up to cliffhangers.

That being said, I just read the last couple chapters and really enjoyed them. Sure the story isn't perfect but the frustrating events conclude in the only manner that makes sense and not "she was evil the whole time!"

I don't remember much of btdem but thought the class selection was well done. Illusionist and especially Glassmaker sounded cool and the banter was much more fun than a big ol stat block. It all being in real time made the inevitable evil class pick make sense in the context that Tawna orchestrated the events to save the village.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

No. He is still in the village. He did just get his adult class. The entire arc has wavered between boring and stupid. The last few chapters have been so arbitrary and involved so much stupid on everyone’s part that they’ve thoroughly convinced me it won’t ever pull up and be enjoyable.

The classing up process borrows heavily from BtDEM, but is executed not nearly as well. Pretty much all the changes make for a worse story.

It's pretty funny how many people are tilting at BSI after the last two chapters. The comments are filled with raging nerds.

Litrpg readers are as thin-skinned about things not going the MC's way and being even mildly disempowered, as romance readers are about the stories not going through a precise set of romance beats and not ending in Happily Ever After.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My worry about Bog Standard is that I might be reading it as more clever than it actually is. My take on evil classes is that they give you incentives to act in ways that other people find evil, which would be a great storytelling vehicle, but what if it literally just is that they alter your psychology to make you evil? Is Tawna trying to get Brin killed a reasonable course of action based on information we don't have, or has she just decided that the only way to deal with him clouding her prognostications is murder?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I just worry that Bog Standard is trying too hard to be edgy, or maybe even worse one of those webserials where the author didn't start with a long term plan and had to start throwing stuff at the wall when it became wildly successful. I'm not going to like review bomb it or anything but I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone at the current time.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 19, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Bremen posted:

I just worry that Bog Standard is trying too hard to be edgy, or maybe even worse one of those webserials where the author didn't start with a plan and had to start throwing stuff at the wall when it became wildly successful. I'm not going to like review bomb it or anything but I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone at the current time.

I'm paying for the Patreon at the moment and I'd say you don't have to worry about either of those right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

blastron posted:

My worry about Bog Standard is that I might be reading it as more clever than it actually is. My take on evil classes is that they give you incentives to act in ways that other people find evil, which would be a great storytelling vehicle, but what if it literally just is that they alter your psychology to make you evil? Is Tawna trying to get Brin killed a reasonable course of action based on information we don't have, or has she just decided that the only way to deal with him clouding her prognostications is murder?

So far the story has at various points claimed all of the above are true. A level of clarity that only the best writing can achieve.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 77 once again

Part of the dilemma is that the goal of the school is to turn Alden into a capital letters Hero, and the objections raised are mostly along the lines of being unable to make Alden one. But Alden isn't actually there to be a Hero, as he said to his councillor he's there for two other things, which Hero school is just the best place for.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
First chapter of the last book of Ar'Kendrythist just released on Patreon. Welp. Hopefully being a true wizard is as overpowered as possible because Erick sure is in a rough spot.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Wittgen posted:

First chapter of the last book of Ar'Kendrythist just released on Patreon. Welp. Hopefully being a true wizard is as overpowered as possible because Erick sure is in a rough spot.

(Ar'Kendrythist Patreon)And so many Ericks apparently ended up there even after dodging all of the OTHER pitfalls in the way. Really underlines the last book's point that he's been walking a very narrow line between survival and disaster for a very long time. Half-expecting this to be a recurring element where the number just keeps getting bigger and bigger, up until they reach a final confrontation and it's dropped for just "Erick." I love that kind of thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
New chapter on Patreon. SupSup 78: I really like the relationship between Kon and Alden so far. Kind of an opposites complementing each other kind of thing. Alden knows so much more than Kon about magic, but Kon knows so much more about Avowed life. It's nice to see that even in a brief conversation, they both learn quite a lot from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 78

That interview at the end must have been really baffling to the teachers. As they keep lobbing softballs at Alden over and over again and he gets more and more despondent only to have him get a big goofy grin on his face as Instructor Klein starts tearing into him.