Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ninurta posted:

Preload Update: BG3 ran fine, no jaggies or screen tearing. However, I did roll three critical failures in a row on a DC10 charisma check. Clearly, the encryption has corrupted the RNG.

Goons failing charisma checks? Surely not…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

Starrowind

:yeah:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Starfield and Friends

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My name is Nathan Starfielder and I graduated from one of Porrima's top business schools with really good grades. Now I'm using my knowledge to help struggling small business owners make it in these competitive worlds.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm so tired of all these Starfields

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

smoobles posted:

Starfield and Friends

I remember when I was mad I wasn't getting Garfield for an hour but then the farm animal toons were way better.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

1glitch0 posted:

I remember when I was mad I wasn't getting Garfield for an hour but then the farm animal toons were way better.

Same for Woody Wood Pecker and Friends. Except that Chili Willy and Droopy were way loving better so it worked out.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

webmeister posted:

Goons failing charisma checks? Surely not…

I play videogames to escape reality

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Chillmatic posted:

Don't you guys dare ironically disengage from my important question.

I'm interested to see how quickly people realize that constantly being in fast travel menus to get to the next interesting (or uninteresting) place completely unravels the BGS experience people know and love, as well as the space fantasy of being 'out there' and 'exploring'.

The BGS experience has always been on land and will still be had on planets. You can get there via fast travel menus in space.

I really loved Elite Dangerous and enjoyed slowly flying from planet to planet, really made space seem big. But it could get stale after a while and took a long time.

I still think you can only fly around near planets, and that you have to use fast travel to go another planet in the same system.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Will starfield be the new cockroach of video games??

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Joink posted:

Will starfield be the new cockroach of video games??

Nothing will ever top Bad Mojo for that title and Starfield should not try.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

VostokProgram posted:

I'm so tired of all these Starfields

The titular line of Starfield

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Are there people who actually wants every part of starflight to be seamless, such as landing on planets and waiting in realtime while your ships plows through hyperspace? Sounds just about as fun as watching paint dry but those people have Elite: Dangerous for that at least.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Can I run the equivalent of a gas station on the frontier edge of space if I wish? If not, what game would allow me to do that?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ymgve posted:

It wouldn't stress your SSD any more than downloading a game twice would, but you might end up with your computer and steam being all sluggish while the decryption happens. You might also need free space for both the encrypted and decrypted versions of the game on disk at the same time, in practice 2x the size of the game, in this case 280GB of free space (but it's possible they fixed that)

It would definitely grind your computer to a halt if you did it on an old platter HDD though, especially if that drive is your primary drive.

Honestly that's good to hear, way less trouble to not have to bother with the workaround. Wonder why they specified SSDs?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SyRauk posted:

Can I run the equivalent of a gas station on the frontier edge of space if I wish? If not, what game would allow me to do that?

Star Citizen lets you do whatever you can think of.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen lets will* let you do whatever you can think of.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Sylphosaurus posted:

Are there people who actually wants every part of starflight to be seamless, such as landing on planets and waiting in realtime while your ships plows through hyperspace? Sounds just about as fun as watching paint dry but those people have Elite: Dangerous for that at least.

Hyperspace, no, but it being equivalent to the way No Man's Sky does it would be nice. It's not gonna happen, especially with how they handle terrain generation, but I'd like to think they could manage the same kind of experience while in spaceflight within a solar system.

E: And even then, NMS can be tedious to travel between relatively distant planets in the same system, even at max Pulse boost it can take minutes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AirRaid posted:

It's not gonna happen, especially with how they handle terrain generation, but I'd like to think they could manage the same kind of experience while in spaceflight within a solar system.

E: And even then, NMS can be tedious to travel between relatively distant planets in the same system, even at max Pulse boost it can take minutes.

I mean that's the thing, there's not been a lot said about how much you can fly around a solar system. We know you can jump to a solar system and there's some sort of procedural generation they do when you approach a planet, but after that it's just guess work.

Also I guess you can fly around in space in some capacity. I think it's possible you jump to solar systems and then you can either fast travel to a planet, or fly around from there. You know just truncating distances a whole bunch.

Another thing they could do is fast travel to a planet then you can fly to any moons or space stations around it. As there's space combat and encounters built into the game feel like either solar system or planet exploration is most likely. If nothing else blank space is cheap and it's easy to cheat distances.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sylphosaurus posted:

I would absolutely love it of you smashed starfield and E:D together, yes

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I mean that's the thing, there's not been a lot said about how much you can fly around a solar system. We know you can jump to a solar system and there's some sort of procedural generation they do when you approach a planet, but after that it's just guess work.

Also I guess you can fly around in space in some capacity. I think it's possible you jump to solar systems and then you can either fast travel to a planet, or fly around from there. You know just truncating distances a whole bunch.

Another thing they could do is fast travel to a planet then you can fly to any moons or space stations around it. As there's space combat and encounters built into the game feel like either solar system or planet exploration is most likely. If nothing else blank space is cheap and it's easy to cheat distances.

Yeah exactly. This is one of the things I was hoping the dev Q&A would answer, to fill in a massive blank in what’s been shown/explained already, but I guess answering whether you can buy a house in a Bethesda game is more important.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Honestly that's good to hear, way less trouble to not have to bother with the workaround. Wonder why they specified SSDs?
Wait, people are suggesting to preload on a HDD and then decrypt it, then move it to an SSD?

gently caress me, I hate the iPad generation.

--edit:
SSD as a requirement is due to the amount of data the game is likely going to stream. While HDDs have technically top speeds of 200MB/s nowadays, this only works for sequential reading. As soon head seeking is involved, it trashes throughput a lot.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 19, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
There's a lot you could do while on approach to a destination - tinkering with your equipment, checking the 'net for local commodity prices to tag things for sale as soon as you land, searching for job postings, ship maintenance if you don't have a NPC on the job, etc. Whether Bethesda had the foresight to implement any of that versus expecting the player to spend fifteen minutes on the landing pad to do all of it before disembarking is something we'll have to find out.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

My expectation is that space travel will be pretty hands on. Cutscene to orbit, go into starmap - which probably pauses time - and pick your destination, press and hold the WARP ME button, arrive at new area, possibly fly directly at planet for 30 seconds, press and hold the LAND ME button, pick landing zone, cutscene to ground.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't forget the random encounter with bandits

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't forget the random encounter with bandits

I hope someone mods in floating castle ruins in space, with skyrim bandits on them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also a messenger runs up to you in your cockpit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

*40 second long docking cutscene. As your airlocks mate, classical music reaches a crescendo. You wonder what business this mysterious courier could have with you. Is the start of a new adventure? Could this be a life-changing moment? The door opens slowly...*

"Greetings stranger!"

*Airlock closes*

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Chillmatic posted:

Don't you guys dare ironically disengage from my important question.

I'm interested to see how quickly people realize that constantly being in fast travel menus to get to the next interesting (or uninteresting) place completely unravels the BGS experience people know and love, as well as the space fantasy of being 'out there' and 'exploring'.

you my friend should play the epic anticapitalist sequel to new vegas, outer worlds!!!!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

you my friend should play the epic anticapitalist sequel to new vegas, outer worlds!!!!

Hardly a fair comparison. It really comes down to how they market it. Bethesda have made noise about being able to fly your ship and find cool stuff in space, that wasn’t really a focus for TOW. They called it outer WORLDS not outer SPACE. :rolleyes:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

VostokProgram posted:

I read the Jaunt story. that kid was dumb

It's one of my favorite Steven King stories, but yeah agreed

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

My expectation is that space travel will be pretty hands on. Cutscene to orbit, go into starmap - which probably pauses time - and pick your destination, press and hold the WARP ME button, arrive at new area, possibly fly directly at planet for 30 seconds, press and hold the LAND ME button, pick landing zone, cutscene to ground.
Yeah, this has pretty much been the standard for Freelance and Privateer likes since the original games and I sincerely doubt that the current generation of consoles have come far enough, techwise, to improve on this formula.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Tankbuster posted:

From le oRIGINaL fAlLoUT dEVs??

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
I'm really looking forward to Starfield. I'm tempted to pay extra to get early access, I'll be gone for two weeks when the release date hits. I think I can wait it out though.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

The person who will make the dlss mod got a review code. They say it will be ready to go day one.

https://twitter.com/HypersonicValve/status/1692642787873747150

Nevermind, he apparently didn't get a code. Should still be fast to get a dlss mod going for those that want it.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I know people sometimes make poo poo up before a big game release, but it seems like on a whole other level for Starfield already.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Profanity posted:

I know people sometimes make poo poo up before a big game release, but it seems like on a whole other level for Starfield already.

Honestly? It doesn't seem that much worse than other huge hype releases I've paid attention to in the last few years. It's probably up there with the Cyberpunks and the No Mans Skys, but I wouldn't class it as a whole other level. Internet gonna Internet, the key is to stop paying attention to the noise.

There's a couple youtube channels I keep getting recommended who are putting out daily or every other day videos with "NEW INFORMATION JUST DROPPED!!!!1" titles, constantly. But there is no new information. It's all rumour and re-reported some reddit theory. So I just don't pay attention.

There will absolutely come a point in the next 2 weeks where I’ll stop paying attention to this thread as well. Just gotta manage what gets to you, and filter accordingly.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 19, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
How many space slaves are available at launch? What’s the coffee stand situation like?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

Honestly? It doesn't seem that much worse than other huge hype releases I've paid attention to in the last few years. It's probably up there with the Cyberpunks and the No Mans Skys, but I wouldn't class it as a whole other level. Internet gonna Internet, the key is to stop paying attention to the noise.

There's a couple youtube channels I keep getting recommended who are putting out daily or every other day videos with "NEW INFORMATION JUST DROPPED!!!!1" titles, constantly. But there is no new information. It's all rumour and re-reported some reddit theory. So I just don't pay attention.

There will absolutely come a point in the next 2 weeks where I’ll stop paying attention to this thread as well. Just gotta manage what gets to you, and filter accordingly.

Well I meant more in the last few days since reviewer/influencer keys have gone out, there's a bunch of people impersonating others and giving false impressions on Discord and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Probably more console warrior nonsense than usual since this game has kind of become the flagship xbox exclusive game after redfall and others didn't do well.