Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oda is always chainsmoking though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Cat Machine posted:

20 years from now we will get a Behind The Music type doc that reveals Oda was chainsmoking and cussing out Netflix execs for trying to cast Chris Pratt as Luffy and give Sanji Air Jordans

smh... shoulda been SOAP shoes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah he's praised the series a lot now, the idea here is that he wouldn't have if it were bad

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah he's praised the series a lot now, the idea here is that he wouldn't have if it were bad

Yeah, and I don't think any of it has even been backhanded like when Toriyama was talking about Evolution

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
sanji would be all about adidas stan smiths to keep it classy

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If One Piece were written today, I wonder how the East Blue saga would have been changed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah those sound like production notes during the process

im glad oda is smart enough to realize that theres no way to adapt the material like it is and they need to do something else to make it work

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I used to be ironically excited about this live action show. Now I'm unironically excited.

Which is gonna make the inevitable Netflix cancelation after the first or second season painful.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have negative interest in live action adaptations and will never watch the show but I hope it’s really good and that it can create new fans

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

hatty posted:

I have negative interest in live action adaptations and will never watch the show but I hope it’s really good and that it can create new fans

That it creates new fans is I think the best we can hope for. I think I'll like it but regardless of its quality there's no way a show on Netflix is allowed to survive long enough to do the whole story.

I'd be surprised if it gets to Enies Lobby.

What's the minimum ya'll hope the live action would be able to cover? I'd be happy with no further than Alabasta.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Like most things in life, the answer is to make Arlong as small and puny as possible.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'll give them credit for having the balls to put that out there. If nothing else, it seems like they are legitimately trying their best to re-assure everyone that this isn't going to be another Cowboy Beebop level fuckup.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Marluxia posted:

I used to be ironically excited about this live action show. Now I'm unironically excited.

Which is gonna make the inevitable Netflix cancelation after the first or second season painful.
You cannot feel the pain of loss for something you never expected to exist.

This is a really expensive, really niche show on Netflix.

It may be a lovely experience, true to the spirit of the story, that ends up being a nice re-imagining of East Blue, ending with the original five crew members pledging their dreams on the barrel. That would be nice, and self contained, and the end of it. Even that much isn't certain, but if you're inclined to optimism it seems reasonable to hope for at this point.

Will it find a much wider/more mainstream audience, and enough critical support to light the dollar signs in the eyes of Netflix executives? I personally do not think that is reasonable to expect at this point. Miracles can happen, but you should not expect them.

This will simply be a one season show, telling a self contained bit of story. Appreciate it as just that.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I kinda expect the show to end at Loguetown

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eiba posted:

You cannot feel the pain of loss for something you never expected to exist.

This is a really expensive, really niche show on Netflix.

It may be a lovely experience, true to the spirit of the story, that ends up being a nice re-imagining of East Blue, ending with the original five crew members pledging their dreams on the barrel. That would be nice, and self contained, and the end of it. Even that much isn't certain, but if you're inclined to optimism it seems reasonable to hope for at this point.

Will it find a much wider/more mainstream audience, and enough critical support to light the dollar signs in the eyes of Netflix executives? I personally do not think that is reasonable to expect at this point. Miracles can happen, but you should not expect them.

This will simply be a one season show, telling a self contained bit of story. Appreciate it as just that.
Yeah that's where I'm at. I think it will be a fun show but I can't imagine it has a broad enough appeal to justify the enormous expense of producing it (and it's not getting any cheaper given that any renewal would quickly hit The Chopper Problem)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah that's where I'm at. I think it will be a fun show but I can't imagine it has a broad enough appeal to justify the enormous expense of producing it (and it's not getting any cheaper given that any renewal would quickly hit The Chopper Problem)

chopper could be solved by bringing in the henson company and him just being a muppet. then just cgi for monster point but your point stands I don't think they'll actually do that

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Alabasta is about the furthest I'd see the live action get to as that would be a second season. Any further is pushing it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Live action 4kids dub where they skip Laboon, Robin has a southern drawl, they adapt some of the filler arcs for some reason, and the series is cancelled on the ship falling from the sky cliffhanger.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wouldnt be shocked if the strawhats are all forced to look pretty human and have their roles combined. like franky is the shipwright and the helmsman now, and he always keeps his hawaiian shirt appearance.

still really curious how theyll handle chopper. hes really early in the first part of the grand line so hes gonna be in season 2 if they add him...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd be curious to see what Season 3 would be because Skypeia doesn't seem substantial enough to carry a whole season, but you would also need at least one big adventure with Robin in the crew to make Enies Lobby hit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They could reimagine him as being more obviously human as a result of his fruit and do fancy prosthetics, then have him wear more clothing as well. Maybe have a regular reindeer for occasional transformations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Jokes on you guys, the show will make it all the way to Kaido

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If we're talking about the incredibly theoretical future seasons you're going to run into potentially sticky issues almost immediately in what to trim.

In East Blue, trimming Kuro and Krieg, greatly reducing their roles, make sense. They have no impact on the wider story. But how much time do you spend in season 2, a season that will presumably have to cover all of Alabasta, on Laboon? Or Little Garden? Those would be stories to drop for the sake of a solid season 2, but if your ambition is to keep going, those things are really important pieces of long term world building.

Alternately you split Alabasta between 2 and 3 and there's a very good chance your show will die on a cliffhanger.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Arist posted:

I'd be curious to see what Season 3 would be because Skypeia doesn't seem substantial enough to carry a whole season, but you would also need at least one big adventure with Robin in the crew to make Enies Lobby hit.

maybe they up the episode count to 12 and then do alabasta then skypeia?

or maybe robin just joins them at the beginning of alabasta instead of being a villain

i think a 2 arc structure in 10-12 episodes could work across the board.

s2 albasta/skypeia
s3 up to enies lobby
s4 skip thriller bark, just do shaboady into the paramount war
s5 fishman island is a pitstop, same with punk hazard, right into dressrosa
s6 wci -> wano
s7 end of series

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 19, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Chopper should be a puppet,

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Bleck posted:

Chopper should be a puppet,

yeah and then they could sell more plushies :swoon:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Okay I’d actually watch the show if Chopper was played by a muppet

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
There's no way they could fit Wano AND Whole Cake into 1 season. Wano on it's own would be like 3 seasons.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

Okay I’d actually watch the show if Chopper was played by a muppet

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

chopper could be solved by bringing in the henson company and him just being a muppet. then just cgi for monster point but your point stands I don't think they'll actually do that

I think this could be done fairly easily. the question is if they'll get that far

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They could reimagine him as being more obviously human as a result of his fruit and do fancy prosthetics, then have him wear more clothing as well. Maybe have a regular reindeer for occasional transformations.
Yeah I guess making Heavy Point his 'main' form would make things a lot easier since you could probably do it with an outfit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wrong thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cat Machine posted:

20 years from now we will get a Behind The Music type doc that reveals Oda was chainsmoking and cussing out Netflix execs for trying to cast Chris Pratt as Luffy and give Sanji Air Jordans

Straight up just Miyazaki talking to guys trying to sell him on AI level of burial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EvnKYOuvWo

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

GruntMountain posted:

Aokiji, you mean.

Of course, I posted faster than I thought.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The biggest issue of further seasons is that even the manga took 10 years to cover one year in-universe and humans age

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

The biggest issue of further seasons is that even the manga took 10 years to cover one year in-universe and humans age

Not even one year, like five months at most by every fan reckoning I've seen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it can’t be understated that Luffy’s progress is meteoric. It took Roger decades to become Pirate King.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Uh yeah but it also covered 3 days 2 years over the course of, like, less than a chapter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And then it took 2 years to cover like 6 hours

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Straight up just Miyazaki talking to guys trying to sell him on AI level of burial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EvnKYOuvWo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, the least believable part of One Piece is that everything before the time skip happened in just a few months. Changing it to several years, if you have to, to explain actors aging seems fine.

hatty posted:

Test screening are out, and everyone agrees that the final line, "1, 2, 3, Jango" changes everything and they love it after they walk out.

Arist posted:

Skypeia is a perfect season. You start with Jaya and then have a fun adventure in the clouds. Plus, outside Chopper and Pierre, there's almost no weird creature budget you've got to figure out. It's all just normal humans wearing extremely cheap angel wings. Outside Luffy and Enel, I don't think you even have to spend that much on special effects.

Also it would probably be best if every season had varying episode lengths. East Blue is 8, Alabasta is 13, etc. Also release Thriller Bark around Halloween.