Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:thanks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I really hate comparing pedophilia to homosexuality. gently caress off.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really hate comparing pedophilia to homosexuality. gently caress off.

as soon as I saw the multi paragraph post and the word pedophilia I went :greencube: but actually think they avoided posting anything actually probeworthy, much like neo engagin bulletime

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I confess I have a kneejerk reaction that’s really hostile when I see those two things compared. Fortunately I don’t moderate here so I don’t have to make any decisions on this post.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

on happier notes have been liking the start of mistwraith. Like 10% in. Reading about sailing makes me want to read the Patrick o Brian book I’m hablfway through. But it’s entertaining!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Everyone posted:

If the only way he expresses that is in his writing (and then relatively subtly), that's a pretty good outcome for that situation. I mean, as far as I know, there's no real "cure" or fully effective treatment for something like that. There's just trying to train the person with those desires/urges to avoid indulging/expressing them in ways that victimize and harm real children.

Pedophilia/etc. is as far as I know (and if somebody knows better, please comment), a really hosed-up horrifying version of a sexual orientation. That's not something you can change or cure (though it didn't stop a bunch of nasty religious whackos from trying to "cure" LGBTQ+ kids through conversion camps). You might be able to teach/change behavior but not the underlying aspect. You might be able to get a pedophile to not molest children, but you're never really going to stop them from being aroused by and attracted to children.

Boy that's quite a rap sheet to be throwing this poo poo around

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Username/post uncombo for sure.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I confess I have a kneejerk reaction that’s really hostile when I see those two things compared. Fortunately I don’t moderate here so I don’t have to make any decisions on this post.

I'm not "comparing them" in the sense that I'm saying that they're similar or close to each other. They absolutely are not. And if anything I'm comparing pedophilia just as much to being straight. LGBTQ+ people who express their sexual orientation are doing the normal, healthy good thing. So are straight people. Neither of them are anything like pedophiles and the like. My point is that pedos, etc. are broken and damaged in a basic, fundamental aspect of their person-hood. Because of that they are extremely hard if not impossible to fully heal.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Then much like DV offenders the solution is to imprison them permanently, problem solved

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Not the place for this convo imo.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Glad the pedophilia explainer logged on.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
glad anthony didn't write firefly and dedicate it to his convicted mates or anything

Even if it's actually hebephilia or whatever, you do not under any circumstances have to hand it to him.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

think long and hard before you begin typing the second paragraph of a post discussing pedophilia

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So. Read any good books lately?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

I posted about your girl janny!!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Camp Damascus owns.

Bang Bang Bodhisattva was pretty cool.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I started going through my TBR pile, and I'm reading Theft of Swords by Michael J Sullivan. It's a cracking good time so far!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I've just finished Project Hail Mary and it felt very much like the Martian but different science. Is Artemis more of the same?

Also, about 1/4 into Steel Frame. I forgot how much jargon crunchy sci Fi heaps on you. Beyond that it's pretty good. It requires slightly closer reading that the power reading most casual SFF asks of you, and I'm digging it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

No. I tried to read System Universe and Battle Mage Farmer because they're lit rpg that are mildly praised and uh.... my god low standards sure are a thing huh?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Everyone posted:

If the only way he expresses that is in his writing (and then relatively subtly), that's a pretty good outcome for that situation. I mean, as far as I know, there's no real "cure" or fully effective treatment for something like that. There's just trying to train the person with those desires/urges to avoid indulging/expressing them in ways that victimize and harm real children.

Pedophilia/etc. is as far as I know (and if somebody knows better, please comment), a really hosed-up horrifying version of a sexual orientation. That's not something you can change or cure (though it didn't stop a bunch of nasty religious whackos from trying to "cure" LGBTQ+ kids through conversion camps). You might be able to teach/change behavior but not the underlying aspect. You might be able to get a pedophile to not molest children, but you're never really going to stop them from being aroused by and attracted to children.

Steer up thread

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just finished the goon-authored Heart of Bones. I had a few quibbles with it, but it was enjoyable and I really want the next book in what I hope turns into a series to come out in the Spring.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

No. I tried to read System Universe and Battle Mage Farmer because they're lit rpg that are mildly praised and uh.... my god low standards sure are a thing huh?

I really don't get some of the praise these things get. I can even remember which one, it may have been a Will Wright one since they had a handful of his stuff free recently, but I managed a few pages before I just quit. I mean, I liked Legends and Lattes for what it was, but some of this stuff is absolutely nothing. It's not even bad it's just the blandest grayest sense of nothing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nope

Bg3 just came out, nerds

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nope

Bg3 just came out, nerds

AC6 is next week, I'm not sure what you're busy with until then.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm slowly working my way through the left hand of darkness. Its easily the best book I've read in years

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm still reading Dune! It's very good I don't know if you've heard of it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

I'm slowly working my way through the left hand of darkness. Its easily the best book I've read in years

I have Lathe of Heaven in my queue, this might bumped the LeGuin to the top for me

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Lots to unpack there but I'm hung up on "relatively subtly".

Edit: Sorry didn't refresh the page before posting

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

I have Lathe of Heaven in my queue, this might bumped the LeGuin to the top for me

It’s much less good than TLHoD. Would recommend almost any other LeGuin over it tbh.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

I really don't get some of the praise these things get. I can even remember which one, it may have been a Will Wright one since they had a handful of his stuff free recently, but I managed a few pages before I just quit. I mean, I liked Legends and Lattes for what it was, but some of this stuff is absolutely nothing. It's not even bad it's just the blandest grayest sense of nothing.

My standards are low enough to read Will Wight. but the other two... goddamn, literally just go google the word fanfic and you'll find better writing, goons.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

buffalo all day posted:

It’s much less good than TLHoD. Would recommend almost any other LeGuin over it tbh.

I have already read Left Hand and several others, but have not yet read Lathe or Word for World is Forest

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

I'd agree based on the LeGuin I've read but I feel like it's worth establishing that Lathe is still a pretty standout sci fi novel nonetheless. LeGuin's floor for quality is a lot of other sci fi writers' ceilings

edit: not saying this to poo poo on other writers so much as praise everything I've ever read by LeGuin, lol

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

VostokProgram posted:

If you'd asked me what the best science fiction book ever written is I'd probably say the left hand of darkness so yeah it's a good book

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

I posted about your girl janny!!

Yeah!! And I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far! Keep us posted as the plot begins to kick into gear!

Also to answer my own question, I'm reading Lilith Saintcrow's Rouje Kith and enjoying myself, even if it's less horror than I was expecting. It's also very similar to her past works, but whatever I love reading about her traumatized heroines meeting super protective super devoted dudes who protect them as the supernatural world throws violence at them.

I've also decided to just stop putting it off and I've purchased a few books -

- The Fellowship of the Ring, mass market paperback edition to match the Two Towers and Return of the King set that I already have. I don't need like three copies of this book/trilogy, but also no one can tell me not to have that much lotr in the house.
- The final volume of the Gandalara Cycle, because I deserve to have a full set of old-school isekai sword n' sorcery adventures written by a married couple. Also the dude and his partner get their very own giant rideable talking telepathic cats!!!
- Annotated Sherlock Holmes (Baring-Gould edition) because why the hell not. I'm loving the idea of digging into these stories with expansive footnotes, so I get all the fantasy-esque worldbuilding alongside classic mystery stories. As I recall B-G also really tried to go for the fiction that Holmes was a real person, so it's technically fantasy as well, similar to the Klinger Annotated Dracula.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't' remember if it was here or the horror thread but thank you to everyone who recommended Hollow. It was good even if I didn't totally get the time travel stuff.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah!! And I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far! Keep us posted as the plot begins to kick into gear!

Also to answer my own question, I'm reading Lilith Saintcrow's Rouje Kith and enjoying myself, even if it's less horror than I was expecting. It's also very similar to her past works, but whatever I love reading about her traumatized heroines meeting super protective super devoted dudes who protect them as the supernatural world throws violence at them.

I've also decided to just stop putting it off and I've purchased a few books -

- The Fellowship of the Ring, mass market paperback edition to match the Two Towers and Return of the King set that I already have. I don't need like three copies of this book/trilogy, but also no one can tell me not to have that much lotr in the house.

Best part of my bookshelf:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh hell yeah that's the good stuff. I have that very copy of LeGuin's stuff and it's impossible to read without a table but I'll never give it up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading The Spear Cuts Through Water at a slow pace, enjoying the prose, but then

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bg3 just came out, nerds
and I've been making glacial progress since.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
After struggling with it for way too long, I finally DNF'd The Archive Undying at around 70% of the way through. I can't remember the last time I encountered a book with such a cool setting that I wanted to know so much more about, but couldn't actually finish because the page-to-page events were just so loving tedious. I even like the characters! I just wish they would do something. I can recommend this one for the cozy fiction readers though, because it is a book overwhelmingly concerned with making food, caring or being cared for, and Feeling Things.

Every once in a while, a giant robot shows up for a few pages. Sometimes they talk about a neat take on AIs and their cultures. It's possible the last 25% of the book is all robots all the time, but I will never know.

Also finished Watership Down for the first time, and that is a masterpiece that deserves its reputation. If I'd known it had such a strong mythological component I would have read it earlier, the stories of El-ahrairah are wonderful and remind me a great deal of the Native American mythology I was immersed in as a kid. Also, if you've only seen the movie or read the book, it's absolutely worth checking out the other: the book is the superior version of the story, but the film does a wonderful job of bringing the all-important landscape to life, and its interpretation of Fiver's shamanic episodes is great.

Next in the audiobook queue is Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates, which I've had on the list for years, but I can only read one Powers book a year at most: he's one of my favorite authors, but he's strong medicine.

In print, I started Jurassic Park because I've had this drat thing stuck in my head for two weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5z1wXFzVF4

... and the only way to exorcise it is to read a 400 page book, apparently. This is definitely not one of the great works of literature, but boy is it a page-turner. Was amused to see that Crichton would later re-use "Doctor Carter" in ER a few years later.

buffalo all day posted:

Best part of my bookshelf:

Unspeakably jealous of that illustrated Earthsea. Vess's art style would be great for Earthsea, although I have to admit I'm always going to be a fan of the style from the old Bantam Spectra covers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

To my shame I have still never read Earthsea, despite having devoured everything I could get my hands on at the ideal age