Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I saw/heard this the other day, and now I'm wondering if you could do a JJBA visual novel game. Maybe it'd need to be something more adventure oriented, though.

Nah, a murder investigation and trial but with stands involved sounds perfect actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

God I'm loving jojolands so far :allears: it immediately grabbed me in a way that's comparable to SBR I'd say. I need to reread jojolion now that it's finished and I won't have to wait a month between chapters. I didn't dislike it but it didn't grab me the way SBR and jojolands did. I'm willin' to bet jojolion will be the black sheep for a little while until people re-read it with a good translation, VA style.

Lovin these freak cats. I wonder if they're rock people(animals?) because it seems like that's more than just a freaky reaction, but actual shapeshifting (as substantiated by some dialog). I'm also puttin my :10bux: down that they're not just animals looking to eat, but working with a criminal organization. Either a rival org OR they're meryl mei qi's enforcers, looking to wipe out the jojocrew to make sure they don't get their hands on the lava rock and/or can't blab about it.

Jojolands Good

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Telltolin posted:

God I'm loving jojolands so far :allears: it immediately grabbed me in a way that's comparable to SBR I'd say. I need to reread jojolion now that it's finished and I won't have to wait a month between chapters. I didn't dislike it but it didn't grab me the way SBR and jojolands did. I'm willin' to bet jojolion will be the black sheep for a little while until people re-read it with a good translation, VA style.

Having read the entirety of it for the first time in the month between JoJoLands chapters 1 and 2, I don't think having it all available is going to raise many peoples' opinions, or at least not nearly to the degree that sentiment about Part 5 has improved since the anime/better manga translations came out. It has some good stuff in it but by and large it was just underwhelming, unsatisfying, and kind of annoying. My actual thoughts on this are a lot more detailed but I'll summarize my biggest issue: I feel like Part 8 operates on batshit Araki dream logic way more frequently than every other part does, and it wound up detracting from how much I gave a poo poo about the characters or what they were doing. Also Soft & Wet is the worst protagonist stand in the series.

As far as this Part 9 chapter is concerned, I'm going to be honest I could not follow what was happening whatsoever. It was just a mess of strings and the crew screaming explanations and instructions at each other until Best Boy showed up to save the day with the power of.... caviar being expensive, I guess. I need to reread the cleaned up translation of this one.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think more than anything it's impressive just how immediately appealing this part has been. Even from chapter 1 I was already totally on board with this new cast. Somehow we're 9 parts in and every protagonist feels significantly different from each other.

Still need to read part 8. Maybe I'll start it today.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've reread part 8 a couple times, and I enjoy it but I definitely think it's less than the sum of its parts. Many of the fights are quite good, and there is some strong themeing around money and greed, but it don't all add up to much. Araki's strengths and weaknesses as a storyteller don't lend well to a mystery like part 8's imo, and Tohru is a weird choice for a final villain since he's not really established at all before being introduced.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

Having read the entirety of it for the first time in the month between JoJoLands chapters 1 and 2, I don't think having it all available is going to raise many peoples' opinions, or at least not nearly to the degree that sentiment about Part 5 has improved since the anime/better manga translations came out. It has some good stuff in it but by and large it was just underwhelming, unsatisfying, and kind of annoying. My actual thoughts on this are a lot more detailed but I'll summarize my biggest issue: I feel like Part 8 operates on batshit Araki dream logic way more frequently than every other part does, and it wound up detracting from how much I gave a poo poo about the characters or what they were doing. Also Soft & Wet is the worst protagonist stand in the series.

Well dang, that's pretty much how I felt reading it in real time and hoped it'd be remedied by a better translation and being able to blaze through it all. Still worth a shot though!

And soft & wet's ability is kinda lame, but hot drat it's probably my favorite main character stand design. top tier style

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

As far as this Part 9 chapter is concerned, I'm going to be honest I could not follow what was happening whatsoever. It was just a mess of strings and the crew screaming explanations and instructions at each other until Best Boy showed up to save the day with the power of.... caviar being expensive, I guess. I need to reread the cleaned up translation of this one.

i'm fuzzy on the details but from what i can tell the lava rock exhibits a variation of pele's curse where items of high value are attracted to it but can't be collected by anyone other than the possessor of the rock (hence why the diamond kept slipping out of the posse's hands before rohan formally gave the rock to jodio). by eating the expensive caviar, the cats became "valuable" and were thus attracted to the rock, but because they were also living beings they couldn't "acquire" the rock and started slipping and sliding as they got closer to it. usagi basically took a curse that normally applied to inanimate objects and transferred it to living beings just to see if it would work

and then he crashed a car into a tree

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I found it hard to follow too.

And that isn’t because the curse logic is complicated or difficult, it’s because everything happens off panel and it’s unclear when any of it happened.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ROHAN: *sits in front of pool* Well, I hope things are working out for Jodio Joestar and his -

[SOUND OF CAR CRASHING INTO TREE FOLLOWED BY MULTIPLE CATS HISSING IS HEARD]

ROHAN: ...yeah they're fine.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

soft & wet's ability actually rules it's just one of vanishingly few examples of araki completely failing to make the most of a weird-rear end stand power

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Patware posted:

soft & wet's ability actually rules it's just one of vanishingly few examples of araki completely failing to make the most of a weird-rear end stand power

My main problem with it is he stops using the property stealing aspect of it after like 2 fights, but then, with the exception of a few occasions where the point is that they pop and create an impact like Stray Cat's bubbles, they mostly just sort of... do stuff. And Josuke never explains what it is he's doing, which leaves me just going "??? Okay??? What the gently caress happened here???" It felt like reverting back to Hamon accomplishing whatever arbitrary task Jonathan or especially Joseph needed it to in that moment. If every fight involved Josuke figuring out some new application of the theft part of the bubbles' power, I'd be way more into S&W. Go Beyond was cool, but not cool enough to make up for the rest of it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

My main problem with it is he stops using the property stealing aspect of it after like 2 fights, but then, with the exception of a few occasions where the point is that they pop and create an impact like Stray Cat's bubbles, they mostly just sort of... do stuff. And Josuke never explains what it is he's doing, which leaves me just going "??? Okay??? What the gently caress happened here???" It felt like reverting back to Hamon accomplishing whatever arbitrary task Jonathan or especially Joseph needed it to in that moment. If every fight involved Josuke figuring out some new application of the theft part of the bubbles' power, I'd be way more into S&W. Go Beyond was cool, but not cool enough to make up for the rest of it.

Yeah I agree with that 100%. It's such a cool concept and we never really got to see much of it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I've finally started reading Jojolion. Just finished volume 10 (Tsuguri just ran over a rock guy with a car). So far I'm enjoying it, but the stand battles feel less interesting. While the occasional long range stand wielded by some rear end in a top hat is fun, it seems to come up a lot more here, and it means the user doesn't get to interact with the main characters that much.

It kind of feels like Araki changed his mind on what role the Higashikatas were supposed to take. For the first five or so chapters, they came off as a lot more sinister, and Norisuke came off as an antagonist who hated Josuke. He basically had an instant heel turn once the first rock guy showed up though and it was kind of jarring. I prefer the family as allies though because them as antagonists made them a lot less fun to be around. While I haven't seen a whole lot of them yet, the main family interactions I've actually enjoyed seeing were with Joshuu and Hato being Siblings.

Not sure what to think about Josuke. The actual plot of Part 8 seems to be taking the front seat over a lot of other things, so he hasn't gotten a whole lot of time to just vibe. They've been pushing him and Yasuho together a lot, but they've also done everything they can to not let the two actually be in the same room at the same time, so that's been pretty annoying.

I don't know much about this part, but I have picked up on stuff just through osmosis, so I came in with lower expectations for a long-running plot (like for instance, I know the guy Josuke remembers all of a sudden either never shows up or completely changes design, so no one actually knows who it was supposed to be). I think the rock human stuff so far has actually been kinda sad, since they appear to be guys just trying to exist (even if they are assholes).

Also for a character that's supposedly our main character's sister, Nijumura has totally disappeared. Did Araki forget about her or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Araki will remember Kei eventually, but she certainly interacts with Josuke a lot less than you'd expect.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
crossposting from pyf comics:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

I remember reading the solution to Shakedown Road, pausing for a moment, asking a friend who was farther ahead "Okay so S&W is just a ladybug right" and them going "Yeah".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part of Jojolion is where Araki just put a chapter of Thus Spoke Rohan in the middle starring Joshuu

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part of Jojolion is Joshuu

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Best part of Jojolion was when Araki said the story was wrapping up soon and some people in the jojo community went into denial saying that he was mistranslated and taken out of context and that there was way too much ground to cover for it to end within a year

hatty fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 28, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The big thing is that I thought Jobin would do something after all his build up, but he kind of just suddenly died to a paint can, and lots of people didn't realize that was the end of him.

Also the final leg of the story started with flash forward past the end of the story.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I am so annoyed that Joshuu gets the coolest stand. He does not deserve to do cool things.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOBWXktSdPw

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had a feeling him stomping on someone was going to be one of his special moves. :allears:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Have there been any neat song/band homages in the DLC character themes? I haven’t been keeping up

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i must once again insist that you do not under any circumstances "gotta hand it to 'em"

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Rereading JJL and really don't get what all the complaining ia about, been having a great time. Just finished the Urban Guerilla fight and remembering how much I love Rai and his wild chairlift hangout.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pour one out for my boy Damo.

What a guy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked it when Damo poured out Joshuu.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Like I said, there's good stuff in Jojolion, but it just felt sloppily executed in a lot of ways.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I just got past the Damo stuff and I'd say up to that, the story has been pretty good. I liked the backstory stuff and to be honest I am more interested in the Kira and Josefumi (Josephmi?) stuff than I am the modern day Josuke stuff. They played their part and really, more of them might end up being a detriment, but I do really wish we had gotten to see more of those two.

Soft and Wet sort of reminds me of Gold Experience where they both had a lot of uses early on before they solidified a more focused single concept. He seems to have stopped taking concepts away from things and has focused mainly on just taking and moving objects. It's... alright, but definitely not one of my favorite main character stands.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJolion just needed to be more focused, introduce it's final villain and conflict point with said villain earlier and have less rock animals. High peaks and low lows.

It has Beetle Tendency and the It Follows copy in the same part.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It should have more rock animals, if anything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The concept is fine. The execution was messy and remarkably ugly to look at for a manga as consistently pretty as JoJo is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

JoJolion just needed to be more focused, introduce it's final villain and conflict point with said villain earlier and have less rock animals. High peaks and low lows.

It has Beetle Tendency and the It Follows copy in the same part.

Yeah, it should have introduced the villain maybe a bit after when Josuke finds out who he is, so there's a bit more drive for him. Like yes, theoretically he's trying to help Holly, but she's also like barely shown after that point anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm also not sure if I'm impressed that he didn't feel the need to elaborate or disappointed that we have no elaboration on Holly's stand at all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's like poetry, it rhymes

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Inca no Mezame Potatoes

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Last vol let's go

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My take away from being x-time far out of JoJolion at this point is that JoJoLands has just been so drat good, without that meaning to even be a dig at JoJolion, Lands has started incredibly.

It picks up really well from where the tone of the final two chapters of and has been doing what was best in JoJolion really well and it's stuff on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jodio just makes such an impact from the start

The page of him explaining the Mechanism is so good