Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Doctor Candiru posted:

I know a few families who swear by "Oh Crap!" by Jamie Glowacki. I'm sure there are potty books for just your situation too. Maybe check with your pediatrician if they have any favorites, too?

After 2-ish, it's usually something they've got to conquer in their minds. But, once you solve it (and you will solve it), she'll be a lot better at learning how to get over similar stuff. Many of us never master that skill, even as adults, so honestly, it's not a bad thing, just lovely (:cheeky:) at the moment.

Thanks for this. Going to check out your recommendation. Our next step is the pediatrician. She definitely knows how it all works, but for some reason she just won’t do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I made two pieces of toast with jelly, gave one to my son and offered the other to my daughter.

She's like "I want toast with egg and cheese and-"

Like yo what about this looks like an order situation, the jelly toast exists in the here and now, take it or leave it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just remember that Oh Crap's author's primary business was/is one-on-one help for parents trying to potty train their kid who have enough disposable income to bring in a consultant. She takes a very hostile attitude towards common mistakes and near-apocalyptic tone about what happens if you don't follow her advice to the letter. Maybe that's what it takes to get her normal clients to listen but it is way too much in the book.

She's also downright nasty about daycares, and ascribes their inability to follow her method as laziness instead of the reality of one person watching four or five kids of the same age.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

External Organs posted:

My daughter has started saying ____ upping, like, run upping, fill upping, climb upping. So cute. English is such a loving joke lol.

My favorite new toddlerism lately is “The air conditioner is colding me!!”

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
After trying the oh crap method a little while back and failing miserably, yesterday afternoon I had a chance to have a long discussion with the daycare director and she basically said “don’t push it too much, it just going to click one day soon for him.” So I’m just going to keep going down the current path of offering my little dude the potty but not pushing it too hard.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Everyone I have known that has gotten into a power struggle about where their kid poops has just added months of misery and frustration for both the kids and parents.

I can't imagine wanting to get into a battle of wills fight with a toddler about this. Eventually they will all poop in the toilet.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Our daycare potty trained our toddler when he was 2.5 apparently through a combination of watching his older classmates and bribing him with dried mangoes for a week.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

remigious posted:

After trying the oh crap method a little while back and failing miserably, yesterday afternoon I had a chance to have a long discussion with the daycare director and she basically said “don’t push it too much, it just going to click one day soon for him.” So I’m just going to keep going down the current path of offering my little dude the potty but not pushing it too hard.

sheri posted:

Everyone I have known that has gotten into a power struggle about where their kid poops has just added months of misery and frustration for both the kids and parents.

I can't imagine wanting to get into a battle of wills fight with a toddler about this. Eventually they will all poop in the toilet.

We’re being really patient, and not pushy with her. She is 100% the type of kid who will do things when she’s ready. She’s completely capable of pooping on the potty at this point, she just won’t. It is not the end of the world for us, but her daycare is starting to make us (and probably her) feel badly about it. I didn’t know if there was a gentle method that I wasn’t aware of to move things along for her.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

love to get a midday email from daycare that there are both HFM AND COVID cases.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

dismas posted:

love to get a midday email from daycare that there are both HFM AND COVID cases.

Haha we just got the Covid email too.

Last week was pink eye, two months ago it was HFM. We didn’t get pink eye at least.

We will see about Covid!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We’re being really patient, and not pushy with her. She is 100% the type of kid who will do things when she’s ready. She’s completely capable of pooping on the potty at this point, she just won’t. It is not the end of the world for us, but her daycare is starting to make us (and probably her) feel badly about it. I didn’t know if there was a gentle method that I wasn’t aware of to move things along for her.

Ugh, that's annoying of daycare!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Same

They won't graduate our kiddo to the next class and at 2 3/4 she's rapidly becoming one of the oldest kids so my wife is feeling the urge to potty train

Also the new teacher in her class is super green and I think she might be regressing significantly

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

External Organs posted:

My daughter has started saying ____ upping, like, run upping, fill upping, climb upping. So cute. English is such a loving joke lol.

Lol our kid has started adding "-y" to the end of words, especially when he wants to add emphasis.

"Push in my chair"
"PUSH IN MY CHAIR"
"PUSHY INNY MY CHAIRY"

Guildencrantz posted:

Welp. My hitherto unreasonably, almost worryingly well-behaved daughter has entered her first rebellious phase. At 4.

The terrible twos were mild on us and now we're in a constant power struggle over the pettiest poo poo and can never know when she'll get into A Mood. Plus she's smarter than at two, harder to distract and remembers things. I do my best not to lose my poo poo but I will admit to having yelled a couple of times. Now we're making a conscious effort to adapt and work on patience and calming techniques, because tbh we haven't had to actually put in work on discipline until now.

I know it'll pass, but gently caress is it driving me up the wall.

Lol, conversely, our almost-three-year-old, after six months of capricious tyranny, has switched to "Oh, OK..." or "OK, fine..." when we give him a reasonable explanation for why he can't have or do something. It's an enormous relief.

Like:

"I wanna dance over there!"
"So that's caution tape, which it looks like they put up because there are lots of sharp tools and other dangerous things, so I don't think we can go and dance there."
"OK fine"

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Having stressed hugely over potty training because our son took ages to get out of nappies, some kids just take longer to click and all angst really does is make you and the kid miserable over it. And go figure, having been through all that with our son, our 18mth old daughter takes herself to the toilet and says POOS! POOS! because she just enjoys sitting on the toddler seat on top. Still hasn't done anything in it but the drive is there.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Also kiddo's best friend at daycare just moved away overseas. He got to say goodbye last week, but this week he's been teary at every dropoff. :(

Busy looking up resources on helping toddlers deal with grief...

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My 3.5 year old also refuses to poop in the potty despite knowing exactly how. Luckily (?) daycare doesn’t give a gently caress because she just holds it all day until she gets home. As long as can pee on the potty then that’s all they really need.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
One of the neighborhood kids, in the same pre-school class as our kiddo, was on a walk with his parents and he came up to the door to give our daughter a flower he picked. :3: Gonna have to watch out for that one. He also will come up and give me a hug when I'm picking up our daughter from school.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also kiddo's best friend at daycare just moved away overseas. He got to say goodbye last week, but this week he's been teary at every dropoff. :(

Busy looking up resources on helping toddlers deal with grief...

This happened with our son. His bestie at preschool moved away, and he was distraught for a solid couple weeks. He eventually got over it, and now 2 years later, he doesn't even remember his preschool bestie (which is a different kind of sad).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The rule at our last daycare was they couldn't go to the 4/5s without being fully potty trained and that seemed fair.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol our kid has started adding "-y" to the end of words, especially when he wants to add emphasis.

"Push in my chair"
"PUSH IN MY CHAIR"
"PUSHY INNY MY CHAIRY"

Mine does this except it's for giving everything names (this is bear-y, this is tower-y, this is tablet-y) which is adorable, but she recently picked out an octopus from a fair booth and proudly announced to the pharmacist when she brought it along to get her COVID booster that "octopussy" was gonna keep her safe.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah we love our daycare but they insist that the 3s class is fully potty trained and that really put a lot of pressure on parents. We were lucky that our twins took to potty training pretty well but several kids had to be held back.

I get it I guess, they only have so many teachers and diaper changes take up a lot of time. But I feel like they could have done a better job communicating to parents that they would still have a spot in the school because a lot of parents (myself included) thought that if they turned 3 and still weren’t potty trained that they’d have to find a different daycare.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I had a really weird interaction yesterday at the park. I was standing around watching my kid with my wife and holding her little balance bike. At one point I noticed a little kid had come up to me and was fascinated by spinning the wheel as I was holding it.

The kid couldn't have been more than 2, walking fine on his own but so tiny and silent. I let him play with the wheel for a bit until I realized the area had cleared out and there were no other adults on that half of the playground.

While my wife stayed with our kid I set out to find this one's parent(s). He couldn't tell me where they were and I'm not confident he understood me asking. I led him to the other half of the playground where he started pointing at a pair of adults there so I went over..but they had no idea who he was.

As I was starting to freak out a bit over taking responsibility for a random lost child, his mom came walking over from another part of the park, the tennis courts. She completely ignored me and greeted the kid with a big smile--like he had just gone down a slide by himself or something, not "oh god I lost track of you for a full five minutes".

This does not seem like responsible parenting to me??

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I let my kid wander up to ~150' away, but I generally don't let them out of direct line of eye sight for more than 5-10 seconds, 20 seconds absolute max. 5 minutes for a kid under 4 seems pretty extreme

She may have ignored you because she was embarrassed she just lost her kid and was absolutely terrified/mortified

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Letting the kid wander away is one thing but this lady must have actively left the area because there is no way he got to where I was from where she was on his own. Maybe she assumed he had followed?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Three weeks until pre-school starts for our toddler. This is of course the perfect time to regress and decide that nope, not gonna tell you when I need to go potty anymore. loving great. :v:

The zero tolerance policies toward potty accidents we keep finding at daycares and preschools are just insane to me. Kids are gonna have accidents; poo poo happens (sometimes literally) and probably relatively often for kids due to anxiety/excitement if they're just starting a program. Blah.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
2am night terrors where a screaming toddler climbs over your face, howling about spiders, is not the one.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Instead of daniel tiger or cocomelon or whatever, my toddler is now obsessed with girl meets farm because every episode is about sprinkles and dessert apparently. And then she spends the day pretending she's cooking the same thing she watched. After 18 months I think 3.5 years might be the cutest age.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 3 year old has been stuck inside for a week because we all had COVID. Everyone is now feeling fine, but he's still showing positive on an at home test so the stuck at home time continues another day :sigh:

whiskas
May 30, 2005
My 1 year old LOVES singing the song of his people through an empty paper towel roll. Which made me think maybe he would like a megaphone or karaoke microphone. Do they make stuff like this that a one year can handle?

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

why not just stick with the paper towel roll?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They sell that microphone thing that has a spring inside for like $10

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

whiskas posted:

My 1 year old LOVES singing the song of his people through an empty paper towel roll. Which made me think maybe he would like a megaphone or karaoke microphone. Do they make stuff like this that a one year can handle?

Ya, they have a few cheapo ones. We have one that does a few different distortions, but kiddo does not sounding like a robot or 2 octaves higher. We mainly use ours to narrate races around our house.

First day of actual pre-pre-school tomorrow, looking forward to getting sick next week.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
So my nearly 11-month old son has had maybe two colds in his life so far because he's not in daycare (mother-in-law takes care of him during the week), but he's had a persistent runny nose for at least three weeks at this point. She was taking him to a bunch of library baby/toddler events before, but now she's keeping him at home to avoid spreading germs. I'm just not sure when this boy's nose is going to stop running (he's acting fine otherwise), at what point it's socially permitted to just let him go again, or if we need to go to the doctor for something that is more gross for us personally than anything else.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 21, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I dunno about children but for adults I think it's generally safe to assume they're not contagious after 2 weeks. Covid studies showed maximum contagiousness in the 3-10 day range usually? At three weeks seems like you're on the very long tail end of any contagiousness but that's just a wild guess

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wow daddy you're so squishy

*Pokes me in the belly repeatedly*

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have never been more grateful to whoever invented paracetamol

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

First day of kindergarten, and we were greeted by a double rainbow as we left the house.

Good luck to everyone else heading back to school! Bracing ourselves for the new crop of germs, yeehaw.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Child woke up at 5:00 this morning, which isn’t unusual. But instead of going back to sleep when I tried to crash on the floor next to his bed, he decided to scream for 40 minutes. So then we stayed awake all morning.

At least we were 100% ready for daycare and the first kid in the building when they opened at 7:30.

Karma for him being a perfect Angel at a fancy dinner last night, of course it couldn’t last.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My 5yo son has always been obstinate, but it's reached a new level.

To encourage him to stay in his room at bedtime, we put a stack of 5 pennies on his bedside table. Every time he comes out for a non-emergency, a penny is taken away. He gets to keep the ones that are left in the morning.

Typically, he gets 1 or 2 taken away, but last night he had 4 taken away within the first 10 minutes of going to bed. He started crying saying that "what if I make a bad choice and my last penny gets taken away?"

Dude, you just said it - it's your choice. You are in complete control of what happens here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

2DEG posted:

Good luck to everyone else heading back to school! Bracing ourselves for the new crop of germs, yeehaw.

Thanks, but you’re a little late! We run a balanced calendar, so this is the third full week of school starting. Balanced calendar is great, each break is two weeks instead of one. Since my wife is a teacher she can do the childcare during that time thankfully.