Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Happy Landfill posted:

Holy poo poo this is excellent! I love that they added sound effects

the synthwave is an interesting choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I read these last week and they were great. I had a nasal surgery on Tuesday, right before starting HtN, and man, being loopy on painkillers and bleeding all the time, while lovely, was a loving VIBE for reading that particular book.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

HtN thought that's been kicking around

the Lyctors justifiably freak out when Gideon's reemergence indirectly reveals the possibility of perfect lyctorhood, but there's another reveal loitering in plain sight that ought to be almost as horrifying to them.

Gideon reveals that no Cavaliers had to die

But Ianthe reveals, through her entire Lyctorhood, that the cavaliers who died did not have to be the necromancers' most cherished loved ones.

Ianthe had Trouble incorporating Babs, but she got through it. The option was there.

We're otherwise invited at every turn to assume a deep and abiding love is necessary for this process. That's probably still the case for the Grand Lysis. But if you're sticking with the original murder-type method, what Ianthe's lyctorhood suggests (not confirms, but suggests), is that the cavaliers they ate could have been any eight chunguses who were handy in melee. Augustine didn't have to kill his brother, Mercymorn didn't have to kill her wife, Gideon didn't have to almost kill...whatever Pyrrha was to him. Those could have been eight stupid guys who nobody loved who happened to be good at swords.

In retrospect it's a little odd nobody comments on this.

My headcanon explanation is that Jod and the older Lyctors assume Ianthe is passive-aggressively pretending she didn't care about Babs for inscrutably bitchy Ianthe reasons, while only the readers and Harrow realize she for sure did not care about Babs.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Babs cared about her though, which surely is important. And she did know him extremely well.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A soul that wants to hang

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, I could see a deep connection of some sort being a requirement.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This was posted in the OSHA thread but it made me think of this series:

https://twitter.com/atters1000/status/1691749164386779308

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FuturePastNow posted:

This was posted in the OSHA thread but it made me think of this series:

https://twitter.com/atters1000/status/1691749164386779308

Don't pet the skulls, Gideon

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just imagining an anti-necromancy planet having those signs up all over the place

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ConfusedUs posted:

Don't pet the skulls, Gideon

Then stop trying to collect them, Harrow.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I finished the first book and started the 2nd. So far I’m pretty surprised at the difference in tone/voice. Also she had to do some world building lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Strap in my friend it gets p weird

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hyperpotamus drive

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Does the 2nd book ever stop being a corpse filled fever dream or is it like this the whole time

mewse
May 2, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Does the 2nd book ever stop being a corpse filled fever dream or is it like this the whole time

The big revelation about what's actually going on comes way too late in the book, IMO. It's better on re-read.

But yes it makes sense eventually.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The corpse number only goes up but the fever breaks and it all makes sense at the climax of the book

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Doomsday Economics Thread: Corpse Number Go Up

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Not all bullshit literary tricks are worth the effort, but Harrow is.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Thinking of HtN again , sure, the Lyctors seeing Gideon gets them feeling pissed and betrayed by John, but they already had a plan to kill him in motion decades ( maybe centuries?) before, the whole thing with opening the Tomb. What the gently caress the Dawn of Eden say to get them onboard?

Now about NtN, we never get an initial for the nun on John's flashbacks, do we? The first guess would be that's she's Cristabel, since she's Mercy's friend, but I also think that's a red herring, and that either she wasn't ressurected by John, or she is(was?) some other important character.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Scallop Eyes posted:

Thinking of HtN again , [...] they already had a plan to kill him in motion decades ( maybe centuries?) before, the whole thing with opening the Tomb. What the gently caress the Dawn of Eden say to get them onboard?

NtN/HtN Its implied that Pyrrha was the one to found BoE in the first place, or at least organize it ~5000 years prior. Cytherea joined up with them early because she wanted Jod dead, and gave Mercy and Augustine means to make contact with them to set in play their own kill Jod plans centuries before the books with the Dios Apate Major. And Gideon was kinda on Jods side but kept not dealing with it because BoE was too much fun and then he got involved with Wake. Everyone was in on it in some way.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ask yourself "If a Tumblr Polycule lasted 10,000 years, what are the odds that they WOULDN'T all have multiple plans to kill each other on the go at all times?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh like Lord of Light

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the Final Fantasy Seventh House

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Working on Harrow still, the scene where she tries to kill Ortus 1 at dinner with the marrow from her own tibia ruled

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Working on Harrow still, the scene where she tries to kill Ortus 1 at dinner with the marrow from her own tibia ruled

Bone broth, that loving slayed me. And Ortus1 !

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am shocked I didn't think of this myself. Kiss me, son of Jod.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Bone broth, that loving slayed me. And Ortus1 !

Is that the scene where John says "okay, stop."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

mdemone posted:

Is that the scene where John says "okay, stop."

It is, yeah.

Also I just finished Harrow the Ninth. Digesting it still, I had kind of expected the twist but didn’t predict how it came about. I like that Ortus Nigenad was given a chance to redeem himself. He went from a very pathetic character to a hero and you don’t see that often.. I think the author does a really good job of making the side characters complex. I loved the reveal that Harry’s temporal lobe adjustment also caused her to get Gideon the First’s name wrong too. I am a bit shocked at how few of the letters were opened, though. I felt like that was going to be a bigger thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I felt like that was going to be a bigger thing.

There be so many is characterization for Harrow. She is absolutely neurotic and obsessive enough to spend days brainstorming every possible contingency.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm definitely curious to see if the rest of the letters come back

That would actually make an interesting bit of extra material if she wanted to print the entirety of the letters Harrow wrote. Not super necessary for the story's completion but could be fun.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

"Okay, stop." is the point where I forever joined his side

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mdemone posted:

"Okay, stop." is the point where I forever joined his side

he has done... questionable things

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I love John

He's so great at...not at getting you to think he isn't hosed up (this would be easy to see through!), but getting you to think he's hosed up in different and lesser ways than how he's actually hosed up

"Oh, I get this guy, he's just traumatized, in over his head, and a bit lacking in emotional intelligence" you convince yourself, initially

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 27, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I love oh so many moments in Harrow. I can honestly say that I think it's my favorite book to read at this point, in general.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

silvergoose posted:

I love oh so many moments in Harrow. I can honestly say that I think it's my favorite book to read at this point, in general.

Yeah same. Gideon the book is wonderfully charming because Gideon the character is wonderfully charming, but harrow is honed

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Yeah same. Gideon the book is wonderfully charming because Gideon the character is wonderfully charming, but harrow is honed

Moira Quirk reading the Nonius fight still gives me shivers and is one of those foundational emotional reading experiences that will live with me for forever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DreamingofRoses posted:

Moira Quirk reading the Nonius fight still gives me shivers and is one of those foundational emotional reading experiences that will live with me for forever.

I still maintain that I would absolutely read the gently caress out of the Noniad, and the Pentiad

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
But its eighteen books long and showing no sign of slowing down! All the honorable enemies are around for like 10 pages and half of them are dialog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

silvergoose posted:

I still maintain that I would absolutely read the gently caress out of the Noniad, and the Pentiad

I would definitely not, but I would definitely read the continuing adventures of Ortus, the sad cav who wants to do good