Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Arizona has been a first round exit six times in the last two decades or so, if they make the postseason at all.

Maybe running through some aesthetically unpleasing basketball during the regular season will better prepare you for advancing in the postseason.

You are welcome to join Overtime Elite instead, because you can't half-rear end the Big 12 and expect to win poo poo it's a freaking gauntlet now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

a neat cape posted:

I feel like this is a personal attack

D teams can be fun. Your Aztecs are usually fun. The Ben Wallace Pistons were fun. Way more fun than clockdraining. Feel no shame.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Looking forward to student-athletes missing absolute wedges of class for cross-country in-conference games against Cal and Stanford, yep

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seems a little disingenuous to care about their classwork at this point

lots of students miss class for work, and that's what this is now

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

kiimo posted:

Seems a little disingenuous to care about their classwork at this point

lots of students miss class for work, and that's what this is now

it's a little different when you're actually the one teaching them

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://pac-4.com

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Probably Magic posted:

Arizona didn't join the Big East though? Or the Big 10? Confused here.

The Big 10 at least gets future NBA players with NIL money at least now even if they waste them by making them go up against bridge trolls.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

You say this after the Jayhawks just stole Hunter Dickinson from Michigan.

Who, to be fair, probably future D-league player, but still! Stole! Theft! Vagabondism!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So far so good on that btw

https://twitter.com/FansOfKU/status/1687971754596294656

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Marshall Basketball will for some reason play a game against Radford at the Greenbrier. Pictured below. Capacity: most of the training staff?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Threes are legitimately in danger of hitting the chandelier

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chicago State, a tiny HBCU, just landed two 5 stars.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1689345286341079040?s=20

Does Overtime Elite only recruit twins?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Apparently he coached them while they were in AAU, so this makes some sense. I don't think Chicago State has many boosters willing to fork over NIL money.

Does the NCAA not care about being paid anymore? I guess Overtime Elite paid them both a good chunk of money. I thought that was a big no-no for the NCAA, but maybe it's just hiring an agent. I haven't really kept up on all the rule changes.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm just a little bit salty that FAU is playing in the Jimmy V classic at Madison Square Garden instead of SDSU. I'd have made the trip to New York to see that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't think the Maui Invitational is happening

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bird in a Blender posted:

Apparently he coached them while they were in AAU, so this makes some sense. I don't think Chicago State has many boosters willing to fork over NIL money.

Does the NCAA not care about being paid anymore? I guess Overtime Elite paid them both a good chunk of money. I thought that was a big no-no for the NCAA, but maybe it's just hiring an agent. I haven't really kept up on all the rule changes.

I think there is a pretty good chance they get declared ineligible, which is part of the reason why they probably landed at Chicago State beyond the coaching connection. Bigger program probably not going to risk 2/13 slots being in limbo.

Some folks on social media are speculating that Chicago State thinks they found a loophole and may try to present OTE as being akin to NIL. Interesting strategy if that’s true.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Marshall Basketball will for some reason play a game against Radford at the Greenbrier. Pictured below. Capacity: most of the training staff?

It's a slightly fancier Geary Middle School gym, hahahah

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

chaoslord posted:

I think there is a pretty good chance they get declared ineligible, which is part of the reason why they probably landed at Chicago State beyond the coaching connection. Bigger program probably not going to risk 2/13 slots being in limbo.

Some folks on social media are speculating that Chicago State thinks they found a loophole and may try to present OTE as being akin to NIL. Interesting strategy if that’s true.

This makes some sense. I do not keep up with AAU or this Overtime Elite stuff at all. Is there some reason these twins aren't just going into the NBA draft instead of trying to play college? Where does Overtime Elite even get the money to pay these players? Are people really paying that much for tickets to see them play?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

This makes some sense. I do not keep up with AAU or this Overtime Elite stuff at all. Is there some reason these twins aren't just going into the NBA draft instead of trying to play college? Where does Overtime Elite even get the money to pay these players? Are people really paying that much for tickets to see them play?

Sponsorships and such. OTE players also get to be social media influencers.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Saucer Crab posted:

It's a slightly fancier Geary Middle School gym, hahahah

I guess when you’re trying to ride out a nuclear Armageddon you’re not as worried about crowd size

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

Threes are legitimately in danger of hitting the chandelier

That’s definitely just a ballroom that got converted to a basketball court isn’t it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess the FBI stank is finally wearing off the KU program.

https://twitter.com/FansOfKU/status/1690548782813880320

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

kiimo posted:

I guess the FBI stank is finally wearing off the KU program.

https://twitter.com/FansOfKU/status/1690548782813880320

Nice!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm sure he's good but a 6'8" guy is number one at center this year? This is not even me trying to hate on KU or anything, I'd just figured he'd be at least a couple of inches taller.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thought the same, he has really long arms?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

I'm sure he's good but a 6'8" guy is number one at center this year? This is not even me trying to hate on KU or anything, I'd just figured he'd be at least a couple of inches taller.

Don't discount being able to move well at 6'8". If he's got ball skills, can shoot, and can move well, then he may well be worthwhile while being 2" too short to be an NBA talent at the position.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The guy has only played competitive basketball for like a year so he's Embiid-like in that. I doubt he has much of a shot but the talent is immediately apparent. For that reason I imagine he's slotted in as a center but for instance if Hunter sticks around another year and so does KJ I don't see Flory starting anyway. I imagine they'd slot him in wherever his athleticism can help.

Hunter staying is still wildly up in the air though.

edit:

https://twitter.com/KUBurner/status/1690571125716127745

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 14, 2023

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kayakyakr posted:

Don't discount being able to move well at 6'8". If he's got ball skills, can shoot, and can move well, then he may well be worthwhile while being 2" too short to be an NBA talent at the position.

height is a misleading stat for centers and rewards long necked freaks with short arms

wingspan and height at the shoulder are both better indicators of “size” as it relates to who you can actually guard; his wingspan is 7’3, he can totally play in the nba (hypothetically)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Getting (Diet) Zion Vibes from those clips, kinda excited.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Louisville's best recruit is leaving the team to play pro ball in Australia. Here is said best recruit:
https://twitter.com/TristanUda/status/1691172286978473984?t=E9OQnMxRsbhNdRb-3b4QBg&s=19

They might struggle to reach last year's mighty win total.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

Quick hands, fantastic movement, effortless hops. Kid is a stud.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

Gonna be on (diet) rehab and conditioning 75% of the time then.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Oh poo poo, I forgot that Ole Miss hired Chris Beard after folks threatened his GF into recanting her accusations.

gently caress that guy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Blind Eye Side

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
This is horrible news, he was a key part of our final four team and by all accounts a great person

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1693761471698624981

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/On3NIL/status/1694053814712553920?t=wfRkKb2WAC2TrqxC5liciA&s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope they make a commercial where somebody touches loose fentanyl on the basketball and instantly disintegrates

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
They're moving the Maui Invitational to Honolulu due to the wild fires.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know how much Kansas was counting on this guy but...uh, they should probably stop whatever amount that was.

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_ATH/status/1702849629388181861

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Dennis Gates just landed another 4/5* (depending on which service you ask) and the Tigers are the favorite to land another guy just outside the top 10. This is virgin ground for Mizzou recruiting and while I'm sure NIL is playing a part, Gates is operating on a level never seen before in Columbia. It'd be great if they back the Brinks truck up for him to ensure he doesn't head elsewhere in a year or two.

Annor Boateng is particularly nice because Gates went into Eric Musselman's backyard and took the #1 Arkansas prospect.