Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Here's another vote for Artemis being Andy Weir's worst. It was okay, but I agree with all of the aforementioned problems. Plus some privatized space program BS. Plus the authoritarian strongman (but a woman) with a heart of gold trope. He seems to like those, since he did another one in PHM. He seems to not want to deal with how international cooperation actually works so he just says "and all the countries just picked someone badass and made her the boss and she is good at it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Jimbozig posted:

Here's another vote for Artemis being Andy Weir's worst. It was okay, but I agree with all of the aforementioned problems. Plus some privatized space program BS. Plus the authoritarian strongman (but a woman) with a heart of gold trope. He seems to like those, since he did another one in PHM. He seems to not want to deal with how international cooperation actually works so he just says "and all the countries just picked someone badass and made her the boss and she is good at it."

Re: girlboss trope: I really hope it's not some wierd objectivism thing he's trying to slip in. Because it sure does have great man theory vibes.

ToxicFrog posted:

Steel Frame was great and I really want to read Origin Complex. Just waiting for it to come out on not-Amazon.

I went into this knowing gently caress all but it's pretty good and has mechs. I figured I'd get some gritty Alien aesthetic and maybe some armored core/cyber punk themeing. I'm 70%
And trying to figure out when the transhumanism and evangelion are going to fill me withexistential dread.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Belgariad #1
It's been a really long time since I tried reading this but I'm listing it because it's a prime example of what I don't like. It's a very basic "safe" saturday morning cartoon type story, or it came off that way to me. Basic story, PG rated feel, bad at making me feel like there's any stakes to care about. I remember the main kid in the story got kidnapped by the bad guy, but I didn't care because I knew nothing really bad or messed up was going to happen. Just had to wait on the rescue. I don't necessarily have to have an ultra grimdark book or anything, but I prefer a more adult feel I guess. Also gently caress the Eddings. 0/5 author.

The series does pick up a bit from there and the dialog in later books is often hilarious. I'm not going to ask DDD to revisit it, but I am going to suggest that adult readers interested in the series can probably just start with book 2 and pick up all the background they need from context.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Since you brought up First Law and loving it (which I do as well), have you read any KJ Parker? I finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City not too long ago and that blew me away, much the same way First Law did. It’s not grimdark the way Abercrombie’s stuff is but it’s a really well written war story and the character telling the story (it’s in 1st person) is exceptionally well written, with a unique voice and wit that oozes off the page. 10/10 for me.

Good news! There are two more of those, each just as good.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Ravus Ursus posted:

Re: girlboss trope: I really hope it's not some wierd objectivism thing he's trying to slip in. Because it sure does have great man theory vibes.

I don't think he's thought about it that deeply, he just wants to show his characters solving epic science problems and takes the simplest route to make that happen. See also in Project Hail Mary when he glosses over the entire problem of "how to communicate with an alien species" in a couple of chapters so the human and alien can get back to doing science together.

(Fwiw I liked PHM, I think it's fun to read an author who knows so clearly what he wants to write about and just makes a beeline toward that.)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Sailor Viy posted:

(Fwiw I liked PHM, I think it's fun to read an author who knows so clearly what he wants to write about and just makes a beeline toward that.)

Yeah, for sure. I don't want to be too negative on Artemis. If it had sucked, I wouldn't have read PHM. It was good enough. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it, but if someone said they were interested in the idea I wouldn't try to warn them away either.

Basically, if it sounds good to you, you should read it. If you haven't read Weir's other books, you should read them first.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

pradmer posted:

The Broken Crown (Sun Sword #1) by Michelle West - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFR4CK2/

I see she's written over 40 books and has a heap of good reviews but I know nothing about Michelle west. Has anyone read this or something else by her and give me something to compare it to?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campagins #1)
It wasn't an awful read or anything but I found it not very compelling. I don't think the world was fleshed out too much and the plot was really basic. I was pretty boring in the first half, then some fantasy stuff happened in the second half. It was a little more interesting at first, but just didn't feel fleshed out at all. The characters were just merely okay, nothing really set them apart too much. The main Colonel guy was alright, I liked him. I don't really have a big desire to read the next book, but might if I can't think of anything better. I'll rate it a generous 3/5.
It is very loosely based on Napoleon and the French revolution so the next few books are back in not France and the scale of the plot expands with it.

There a lot of large scales battles and more character stuff but if the first didn't grab you I don't think the others will.

There's also a lesbian love subplot, something Django Wexler has in many of his books, despite pretty obviously being a cishet male.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The series does pick up a bit from there and the dialog in later books is often hilarious. I'm not going to ask DDD to revisit it, but I am going to suggest that adult readers interested in the series can probably just start with book 2 and pick up all the background they need from context.

Oddly, that's exactly how I first read the series back in the 1980s and I can attest that it works. The second book opens with a "horse in the woods" scene, which David Gemmell used to say was the perfect place to start a novel as whoever was on the horse could have come from anywhere and be going anywhere.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
For more modern fantasy, try Locke Lamora. The Blacktongue Thief. In the Shadow of Lightning. The Pariah.

Magician: Apprentice and the following books are classics of standard fantasy.

For war fantasy try The Black Company if you haven't read it yet. Also The Poppy War.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Black Tongue Thief is very good.

I'm weak and started reading Infinity Gate even tho I was advised it is a two-parter so will have to twiddle my thumbs waiting for the second. It's really good. Very captivating idea. I can strongly recommend.

Vandana Singh's short stories are impeccable. My favourite so far is about scientists who are using technology to look into the past to watch a famous Indian poet whilst the world collapses around them. These stories are taking familiar sci-fi ideas and then embedding then into different cultures and perspectives to the one I live in.

I can also recommend The Capacity to Serve by a goon author. Short stories that let you fill in the world behind are very much my thing. It's fun to intuit from the clues given.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

RDM posted:

For war fantasy try The Black Company if you haven't read it yet. Also The Poppy War.

IDK, DDD seems to like character driven fantasy and The Poppy War is very much not that.

I'd suggest both She Who Became the Sun and The Grace of Kings over The Poppy War, though really I think Green Bone Saga is the best rec for Asian fantasy setting though it's not war fantasy but epic urban fantasy that's really a generational/family saga that basically goes from mostly gang warfare in the streets in book 1 to geopolitical fantasy in books 2 and 3.

Also The Traitor Baru Cormorant. Because Baru.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spotted Baru chat live on tumblr today, bringing it here because it amuses me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I aspire to one day write something that gets a reductive poo poo post on Tumblr.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm back looking for more fantasy suggestions.

Hello, I'm Graydon Saunders, and based upon what you've written you've got a decent chance to like my Commonweal series, which begins with The March North. Book 1 is similar to the Black Company books, Books 2 & 3 are not so much, Books 4 & 5 get back to the mil fantasy aspect of the world. SA discussion thread here.

RDM posted:

For war fantasy try The Black Company if you haven't read it yet.

I'd second this. They're very solid military fantasy books.

Leng posted:

The Traitor Baru Cormorant. Because Baru.

I'd also second this, because that series is chockablock with well developed and character driven 18th/19th century alt-world fantasy stories.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

habeasdorkus posted:

Hello, I'm Graydon Saunders, and based upon what you've written you've got a decent chance to like my Commonweal series, which begins with The March North. Book 1 is similar to the Black Company books, Books 2 & 3 are not so much, Books 4 & 5 get back to the mil fantasy aspect of the world. SA discussion thread here.

Hello, I'm Graydon Saunders, and I'd like to second my earlier recommendation that you check out my Commonweal series.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ravus Ursus posted:

I aspire to one day write something that gets a reductive poo poo post on Tumblr.
The dream.

I just finished The Adventures of Amina El-Sarafi the other day and holy poo poo what a good and cool book. It was extremely up my alley and exactly what I needed to read when I read it. It's about a middle aged pirate woman who gets pulled away for her daughter for one last job which, as with all last jobs, absolutely fucks up her whole life with batshit everything. Amina's such a good character--hell, her whole crew is, they're all middle aged super competent disasters. I know others have read it here but if you haven't and you even slightly like character-focused fantasy, I promise you it's worth the read. So good. It's one of my favorite books of the year.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

are either of you actually Saunders or is this some joke I don't understand

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

VostokProgram posted:

We are all Graydon.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

VostokProgram posted:

It’s a long-running bit, created after so many goons were posting their enjoyment of the Commonweal series that someone unironically accused them of being sockpupptets.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

VostokProgram posted:

someone (i forget who) who didn't like the series insisted that the only way it had any popularity here was because Saunders was posting through a sock here

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I've never sock-puppetted for my work, it stands on its own merits.

And the second book is the worst of my series, IMO, and is skippable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Remulak posted:

I've never sock-puppetted for my work, it stands on its own merits.

Man, I haven't even skipped the first book yet.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kestral posted:

It’s a long-running bit, created after so many goons were posting their enjoyment of the Commonweal series that someone unironically accused them of being sockpupptets.

TBF, the Commonweal is a self published series that the author doesn't make especially easy to obtain (it's not on Amazon, for one thing) but inspires intense proselytization on behalf of its fans. I can see how someone might raise an eyebrow about like 4 people posting about how good they were in short succession given their limited reach.

Remulak posted:

Strong disagree, but reasonable minds can differ. It is a very different book than the first, and written from a very different POV than the narrator of The March North.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

habeasdorkus posted:

TBF, the Commonweal is a self published series that the author doesn't make especially easy to obtain (it's not on Amazon, for one thing) but inspires intense proselytization on behalf of its fans.

I recommended Commonweal to a friend and then had to admit I had no idea how anyone could currently buy it.

The publisher is listed as "Tallwoods Books" which does not have any website that I can find and only seems to have published Graydon Saunders. You can buy copies from Google Play, Kobo, and Apple Books. No listings on Amazon, famously, but also it cannot be found on the "Amazon Sucks" substitutes like Abe Books and SmashWords. And if WorldCat is correct there is not a single copy in any library.

E: After doing some digging it turns out Graydon did post an official 'where to buy my book' listing at https://books2read.com/b/4Xx214

Copernic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 22, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Copernic posted:

I recommended Commonweal to a friend and then had to admit I had no idea how anyone could currently buy it.

The publisher is listed as "Tallwoods Books" which does not have any website that I can find and only seems to have published Graydon Saunders. You can buy copies from Google Play, Kobo, and Apple Books. No listings on Amazon, famously, but also it cannot be found on the "Amazon Sucks" substitutes like Abe Books and SmashWords. And if WorldCat is correct there is not a single copy in any library.

Abebooks is owned by amazon.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

habeasdorkus posted:

Strong disagree, but reasonable minds can differ. It is a very different book than the first, and written from a very different POV than the narrator of The March North.

Yeah The March North is more mil-fantasy and A Succession of Bad Days is more wizard academy, except both are set in an insanely detailed, history-nerd look at the dark realities of a high magic world, and with a plucky little social democracy working to make their little corner of the world better.

Copernic posted:

And if WorldCat is correct there is not a single copy in any library.

I don't think it exists in print, and I guess librarians haven't quite gotten into it yet to get digital copies?

Re: buying it, you should be able to use Calibre to convert to whatever eReader you have if you don't have a Kobo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Copernic posted:

E: After doing some digging it turns out Graydon did post an official 'where to buy my book' listing at https://books2read.com/b/4Xx214

The funny thing is, Graydon clearly does see this forum, because he shut down his own forums based on posts he saw here. And, like, he's clearly got his own set of beliefs. I wish he would post here! But we wouldn't know even if he said so, because of the gag . . .

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Graydon actually posted up near the top of the page.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Mr. Saunders, I believe you spelled Commonwealth incorrectly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like if you want to refuse to sell your self published book on Amazon you at least need to sell drm free files directly or everyone with a kindle is just going to hate you

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I got The March North on Google Play and I cannot for the life of me get it onto my Kindle

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Calibre is the way.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

StrixNebulosa posted:

Abebooks is owned by amazon.

I was an old Abebooks user, but after Amazon bought it, I figured, oh, no point in going to Abebooks anymore, it's obviously going to be integrated into Amazon's standard used books interface. But recently I discovered that they are still quite separate. Sometimes you find the better deal on Abebooks, sometimes on Amazon.

This also ended up with me buying and reading an actual physical book for once, something I don't remember doing for years. It was rather nice, though there was the odd occasion where I missed being able to click the book.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Calibre is the way.

Even that didn't work, no matter what plugins I threw at it. I mostly use the "email to kindle" function and it just kept telling me it couldn't add it to my library, I guess maybe it would work better through the other channels Calibre has to get stuff onto kindles, idk.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

MockingQuantum posted:

Even that didn't work, no matter what plugins I threw at it. I mostly use the "email to kindle" function and it just kept telling me it couldn't add it to my library, I guess maybe it would work better through the other channels Calibre has to get stuff onto kindles, idk.

Make sure you're using the most up to date DRM removal plugin. The one that comes up in google searches is out of date and no longer works for the majority of cases. Make sure it's the fork by noDRM whose latest release is 10.0.3

See if you can OPEN it in calibre. If so, then the DRM is removed and the issue might be with the format. Try to convert it to AZW or MOBI

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

Make sure you're using the most up to date DRM removal plugin. The one that comes up in google searches is out of date and no longer works for the majority of cases. Make sure it's the fork by noDRM whose latest release is 10.0.3

See if you can OPEN it in calibre. If so, then the DRM is removed and the issue might be with the format. Try to convert it to AZW or MOBI

Do not convert to AZW or Mobi because they are no longer supported by Amazon and its email to kindle services. Epub won.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh yeah, I gave up on Poppy War and Baru Cormurant both as well. Baru is one of those books I really have a hard time explaining why I wasn't into it. It was just like, "okay, I guess things are happening whatever" It set her up as a genius interesting character but from what I recall, it was just a plain old character who both hosed up a lot and did some things good as well. Nothing particularly gripping in it.

I really liked Licanius, and I know that author has a new book, but I try not to read the first book in a series until more are out, so it's on my future list. I did read some of Black Company a long time ago. I want to say I didn't finish it, but not because I didn't like it, so I may have to revisit that if it has decent audiobooks. I'll also check out those other two suggestions. Wars of Light and Shadow is on my list as well, but it doesn't have audiobooks, so it'll just have to be when I have time to do normal reading.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

branedotorg posted:

I see she's written over 40 books and has a heap of good reviews but I know nothing about Michelle west. Has anyone read this or something else by her and give me something to compare it to?

I haven't read it but here's what other goons have said:

"A while back I started listening to The Broken Crown(The Sun Sword) at work. Kind of a tough read, overall I enjoy it and that whole world, but it's hard to follow."

"This sucks, Daw (or Penguin) has dropped Michelle West and won't be publishing the rest of her Essalieyan series. She's been my favorite author since I read the Broken Crown years ago, and while the last two House War books were a bit bloated I was looking forward to seeing where she went with the story."

Maybe Strix can give you a better account? Don't know if she read this particular series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I posted this over in YOSPOS but I really feel 36 Streets deserves more eyes on it

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also Cyberpunk Reading, I picked up 36 STREETS by T R Napper on a whim as it was on a Kindle deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097SN9SSM/

and I'm 40% through and enjoying it a lot, it's a fresh setting (near-future Viet Nam occupied by China) with a spiky fuckup of a protagonist who has risen to the number two spot in one of the oldest street gangs despite being a queer woman, and also has been trained to be a skilled fighter backed up by some body augs - she has some of that Sally Shears vibe going on. Also about a quarter into the book she gets absolutely demolished by possibly my favorite cyberpunk henchman ever, I'm not going to spoiler him but just imagining him in a movie or game, I'm chef-kissing here.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Finished this today, an exceptionally entertaining book. It *might* even wiggle into my 'Favourite Cyberpunk' somewhere between Neuromancer and one of the sequels. Looking at the Amazon author page it seems there's a second book in the same universe out in 2024, which I will definitely pick up.