Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ok so he actually uses three swords. cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I assumed they were running off the same tech as Kuma - human brains with some kind of mind-control chip. Assume what happened with Hancock this chap is more or less the same thing that has happened with Kuma a few times now where his love of Bonney/his friends overrides programming that Vegapunk assumed was unbreakable because it was Good Science. Given we've seen him sell out/abandon his buddies in the past in pursuit of cash and technology, I guess his character development is gonna be him learning that Power of Friendship > Power of Science via the medium of Luffy punching someone really hard or whatever
It's pretty ambiguous. Does Kuma have a meat brain or was it entirely replaced with technology? And for that matter, was Kuma overriding Vegapunks programming, or did Vegapunk leave a backdoor for Kuma's original personality to exert itself at key moments?

Clearly whatever is in S-Snake isn't Hancock's brain. All that was used was the "lineage factor," which I think we assumed was genetics, but is in fact some fantasy concept in this world that is designed to preserve fighting reflexes, but also appears to preserve Hancock's feelings. I don't think it's a glimmer of original humanity breaking through in the case of S-Snake, because she never met Luffy before and has no attachment to him herself. Rather it's the basic reflexes from the lineage factor kicking in. The 'gag' (if that's the right word) is that in Hancock's case, affection for Luffy is an ingrained reflex.

The Seraphim are, by all appearances, robots (flesh robots?) with the bodies and reflexes of certain people, nothing more. At least that's what it looks like to me, and how the story seems to be treating them morally. If there are further developments I think that would come across as a twist or revelation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cat Machine posted:

”My (17m) captain (17m) wants to destroy the pirate ship my childhood sweetheart (19f) gifted to me and my crew. I think we should keep it no matter what and have challenged him to a duel - AITA??”

Read this as 17 meters at first and didn't even blink an eye.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Dear Abby,

I recently met a wonderful guy for the first time. He's funny and sweet, and is the first person who didn't just want me for my looks. But today he asked me to help him break into a maximum security prison! I want to SNUGGLE him, not SMUGGLE him!!!

Help me out!!
Stone-Cold Beauty
Lol

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Eiba posted:

Vegapunk is evil, but that's explicitly just one aspect of him.

Seraphim are not confirmed to have the minds of humans in this chapter, rather it was confirmed that an aspect of Hancock's mind manifested in the Seraphim. Vegapunk is surprised by this development.

The Seraphim do not act like kids, or even humans, outside of S-Snake's manifestation of aspects of Hanckock's personality. Does that have really disturbing implications? Yes. Are we meant to understand that these are child slaves? I don't think so.

The Seraphim have had a handful of humanising moments here and there during this arc. Nothing major, but enough to show they're capable of independent thought, and can speak for themselves.

One of the first things Lilith said when we met her was about not being able to overpower the will of a creature (the cyborg shark), and I figure that's ultimately where this plot thread is going. S-Snake is capable of going against her programming, therefore the rest of them probably are too under the right circumstances. For instance, I bet S-Bear would be weak to Bonney.

It might not happen this arc, but I'm sure we'll see more of them resist their programming and perhaps even defect.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

The Seraphim are a lame idea.

Hard disagree - the seraphim and pacifists show the lengths the WG will go to get whatever they want, and it washes vegapunk in a lot of blood too. It’s also a lead in to whatever robot mecha we’re headed towards!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
A running subplot in this arc has been that the Seraphim have been a lot more human and free-willed than most give them credit for. Given the general themes of One Piece, I'd be surprised if it wasn't leading up to them breaking out of their programming by the end of this arc, or a later one.

In any case, Vegapunk is going to face a reckoning fairly soon anyway. Sooner or later, someone is going to ask 'So what's a Mother Flame, and why does the government want more of those so badly, and what did they do with the one they already have on hand'

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I would think the Mother Flame is the technology he’s using to change Egghead islands climate. He said he wanted to spread it to all islands to make more habitable for the world, I could 100% see that being turned into a power source for what is the equivalent of a doomsday weapon.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ubiquitus posted:

It’s also a lead in to whatever robot mecha we’re headed towards!

Oh my God what if the Seraphim can "combine"???

Seraphim: Docking Seven!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Quote is not edit; wish I could combine my posts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Scholtz posted:

Oh my God what if the Seraphim can "combine"???

Seraphim: Docking Seven!

Robo-Babby Hancock of course refuses.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Garp's recollection of the events surrounding Ace's birth (after the Impel Down breakout) is doing a good job of making me want to see every WG lackey higher in rank than "poor worthless schmuck" converted into paste.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Potato Salad posted:

Garp's recollection of the events surrounding Ace's birth (after the Impel Down breakout) is doing a good job of making me want to see every WG lackey higher in rank than "poor worthless schmuck" converted into paste.

When the revolution against the WG happens and I gotta kill Koby

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
The Seraphim have already lead to the WG tossing out the Warlord system which has lead to the perfect pairing up of Mihawk, Crocodile and the mastermind Buggy. I think additionally the implications with Kuma are going to lead to S-Kuma filling in some details. Kuma had already resisted the changes being made to him as an android so when S-Kuma breaks his programming it's going to be amazing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Say you were live action filming the scene where lucky roux shoots that guy. What would you have lucky roux eating given that anime meat isnt real? A turkey drumstick?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

No Wave posted:

Say you were live action filming the scene where lucky roux shoots that guy. What would you have lucky roux eating given that anime meat isnt real? A turkey drumstick?

Make anime meat.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Supremezero posted:

Make anime meat.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

No Wave posted:

Meat glue is a thing. Just paste together meats into the shape of anime meat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No Wave posted:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Now you've set my expectations sky high!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

No Wave posted:

Beef shank, of course.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

You mean the implication that the WG killed a lot of babies just to be sure? In retrospect, they probably didn't, actually; they had the technology to do paternity tests.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm not looking forward to seeing how cost-cutting-to-the-bone-era Netflix adapts One Piece.

How the hell do you put some of these characters on screen?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

No Wave posted:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No Wave posted:

If lamb shank's on the menu at a restaurant I always order it because it's the closest thing you can get to anime meat irl

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wait a second... lamb what?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1694001487171715393

The Pirates are coming :wink:

:lol: at the weird scaling on Gol D. Roger

Amazing, is there a full pic?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just realized I wanna see the live action Koby glow-up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I'm not looking forward to seeing how cost-cutting-to-the-bone-era Netflix adapts One Piece.

How the hell do you put some of these characters on screen?

The simple answer is there's no point in worrying because this thing ain't making it past season 2 max.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The real question is if we're going to get a One Piece Live Action comic book tie-in

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scholtz posted:

The real question is if we're going to get a One Piece Live Action PS2 game tie-in

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Amazing, is there a full pic?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/yrfuw8/i_carved_a_demaro_black_somefive_with_wood/

here's the reddit post with more images

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, he should look more like Doodlebob.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hope the Seraphim all become Strawhats

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

I hope the Seraphim all become Strawhats

the S-Fleet if you will

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

S-Trawhats

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I don't really enjoy the Lunarian blood stuff with the Seraphim, which seems like something a 12 year old came up with: there's these guys that are like extinct except 1 guy, and they have bronze skin and silver hair, and black wings that actually work, and they can control fire. And they're basically superhuman. And they can turn off the flames to get a super speed boost. And they did experiments on that one guy and put the DNA in robot soldier children.

There's a lot of off the wall stuff in One Piece, but the Lunarian and lineage factor stuff feels kinda weird. Oda can probably make it work and be cool, but I'm not fully on board yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

oddium posted:

vegapunk is one of the good guys

they're also explicitly a bad guy too rn. vegapunks a weird characters