Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

it's the english supremacist guy, why would he know anything about wales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Lmao Iraq larger in land area than England, Scotland, Wales, and all of Ireland combined.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Yeah ok, sorry, I dunno where I got that factoid from :shobon:

It is still, however, a lot smaller and lower population than China.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
1,8 times smaller is such a weird way to phrase a ratio.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What you see of Wales is only the tip of an iceberg!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Obviously you have to include New South Wales and the implied New North Wales into the Greater Wales.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Technically that map consists of most of the insular-Celtic-speaking world of which the Welsh are descendants ;p

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Maybe the Ottoman era sized kingdom of what was Mesopotamiais closer to the size of Wales? back when it was three or four regional states?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

England does have the advantage to the residents of relatively tolerable water supplies throughout, but I gather the commanding heights of the English economy and population density are located near London, rendering them vulnerable to a shock-and-awe high-tempo operation aimed at hearts, minds and corgis.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They will welcome us as liberators

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Boris calmly insisting things are perfectly fine as tanks rumble past behind him over the Tower bridge.

I imagine the bridge would probably collapse but hey it's a funny image.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmegin posted:

Technically that map consists of most of the insular-Celtic-speaking world of which the Welsh are descendants ;p

Huh?

I don’t really get your point. And the Celtic speakers are less “insular” and more “post constant genocide shy”.

Like there were a couple other Celtic languages what ain’t there no more.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Huh?

I don’t really get your point. And the Celtic speakers are less “insular” and more “post constant genocide shy”.

Like there were a couple other Celtic languages what ain’t there no more.

I was simply talking about this? 'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Celtic_languages' - not small-i insular, but the specific language group as opposed to the ones that aren't there any more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yes, insular can literally mean “on an island” which covers Ireland and Hibernia Magna to its east.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

the yeti posted:

Was this a reasonable position to have? Like it seems intuitive but I certainly don’t have the context to know intelligence actually supported it or whatnot.

Yes, very much so.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Yes. I know. Sorry. Oops, and I apologise. You might want to read the last page-ish though...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmegin posted:

I was simply talking about this? 'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Celtic_languages' - not small-i insular, but the specific language group as opposed to the ones that aren't there any more.

I have literally never heard anyone use this term and it’s taxonomically misleading.

But sure. Learn something every day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Iraq is much smaller than whales. Specifically 6.4 billion whales.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

This has got to be the funniest statement I've read in this thread. feedmegin, if you ever figure out where that came from, please please let us know

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have literally never heard anyone use this term and it’s taxonomically misleading.

Glottolog not respected? https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/insu1254

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Maybe you were thinking of Kuwait? It's slightly smaller than Wales.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

Iraq is much smaller than whales. Specifically 6.4 billion whales.

Is it though?

Ok, if we assume every whale on the planet is a Gray Whale, which is a pretty big whale, and if we believe my random googling saying that they are about 50 feet long as adults and the widest parts of their tails are ~10 feet, then we end up with a VERY generous 500 square feet of whale as its basic footprint just laying on the ground. I'll assume your 6.4 billion whales figure is accurate. Times 500sqft per cetacean and we're at 3.2 trillion square feet of whales if we haul them all out of the water and pack them in next to each other like sardines.

Some random calculator I googled up because I"m too lazy to do math says that 3.2 trillion square feet of whale is equal to 297,290 square kilometers of whale, rounded up to the nearest km^2.

According to wikipedia Iraq has a total land area of 438,317 square kilometers.

So no, Iraq is not much smaller than 6.4 billion whales. Iraq is significantly larger than 6.4 billion whales, about twice as big in fact.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe you were thinking of Kuwait? It's slightly smaller than Wales.

Kuwales

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it though?

Ok, if we assume every whale on the planet is a Gray Whale, which is a pretty big whale, and if we believe my random googling saying that they are about 50 feet long as adults and the widest parts of their tails are ~10 feet, then we end up with a VERY generous 500 square feet of whale as its basic footprint just laying on the ground. I'll assume your 6.4 billion whales figure is accurate. Times 500sqft per cetacean and we're at 3.2 trillion square feet of whales if we haul them all out of the water and pack them in next to each other like sardines.

Some random calculator I googled up because I"m too lazy to do math says that 3.2 trillion square feet of whale is equal to 297,290 square kilometers of whale, rounded up to the nearest km^2.

So no, Iraq is not much smaller than 6.4 billion whales. Iraq is significantly larger than 6.4 billion whales, about twice as big in fact.

I meant if refined into a soup-like homogenate and spread across the land like marmite, you know, the proper way to do whale size comparisons.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Include a couple Wales in with the whales and you might get there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

John McAfee thought he could gently caress Wales. Who the hell did he think he was? Maggie Thatcher???

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This seems like a good enough time for my to admit to my own goofiness. I had got it in my head that some British Royalty operated an anti-aircraft gun during WW2 during the Battle of Britain. I thought it was Queen Elizabeth II--or I suppose it would be Princess Elizabeth II--but it looks like she did some vehicle mechanics stuff instead. Now, maybe the HMS Queen Elizabeth shot at some planes, but that's not what I meant.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Xiahou Dun posted:

But sure. Learn something every day.

It's absolutely a widely used term. Why do you think it is taxonomically misleading?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

They’re not poo poo, but it’s a giant project and their QC isn’t top-notch. Like clicking through, they use quite a few schema that are pretty weird or out of date. Their sign language grouping in particular got some raised eyebrows.

I’m not exactly King of Celtic, just a rando who thinks they’re cool and recreationally learned a little here and there. It’s entirely possible that it’s common and I’m showing my rear end.

It just strikes me as very peculiar because it’s implying a level of analysis that I don’t think is there. Those are all the living Celtic languages, but instead of just saying that, it’s grouping them in another term. Which might make sense, except they’re not particularly close to each other taxonomically : they’re just the surviving parts of a larger tree.

Like Welsh is pretty dang different from everything else on the island since its little sister Cornish died. They we are/were much more like Breton. Irish and [Scotland is complicated] are historically to those, but it’s been a really long time. And then Manx is, again, doing its own own thing, in as much as Manx is alive.

It seems like one of those terms they made up in the 19th century before the discipline decided to have basic parsimony.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This seems like a good enough time for my to admit to my own goofiness. I had got it in my head that some British Royalty operated an anti-aircraft gun during WW2 during the Battle of Britain. I thought it was Queen Elizabeth II--or I suppose it would be Princess Elizabeth II--but it looks like she did some vehicle mechanics stuff instead.

She joined the ATS, and lots of members of the ATS served in anti-aircraft units, but women were not allowed to do things like load or fire the guns (so women did gun-direction, searchlights, etc). So maybe that's where you came up with that?

statim
Sep 5, 2003
Hey just a request, does anyone have the link to that really detailed essay on just how bad Operation Sea Lion would have gone for the germans if they had tried it?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it though?

Simple decomposition would lead to the whales covering more land, whales are not a 2D-surface. Long ago I saw a documentary showing how a factory ship flenses a whale. Believe me, you can easily get twice that amount of square kilometers out of those whales, just by cutting. And I'm being really conservative here.

zoux posted:

I meant if refined into a soup-like homogenate and spread across the land like marmite, you know, the proper way to do whale size comparisons.

I mean, that would be a bit cheeky. You can cover a lot of ground with everything if you put them into a blender first for maximum mass-to-coverage conversion. But still, a whale has a lot of layers. You can easily get 2-3x the ground covered than a simple look from above would lead you to assume.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

statim posted:

Hey just a request, does anyone have the link to that really detailed essay on just how bad Operation Sea Lion would have gone for the germans if they had tried it?

This one?

https://www.philmasters.org.uk/SF/Sealion.htm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, you can spread the whales, but to what depth?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Libluini posted:

Simple decomposition would lead to the whales covering more land, whales are not a 2D-surface. Long ago I saw a documentary showing how a factory ship flenses a whale. Believe me, you can easily get twice that amount of square kilometers out of those whales, just by cutting. And I'm being really conservative here.

I mean, that would be a bit cheeky. You can cover a lot of ground with everything if you put them into a blender first for maximum mass-to-coverage conversion. But still, a whale has a lot of layers. You can easily get 2-3x the ground covered than a simple look from above would lead you to assume.

If we're cutting things up then everything is arbitrarily large and the original comparison is meaningless. You can always slice thinner and spread it out more and more. The reverse is also true - if we were to allow stacking then, Rhode Island for example, would be as large as all the whales. If we're going to use estimated proportions of the planet's whales as a measurement of surface area, we need to keep it consistent as the unit of measurement being a single whale, intact and un-mutilated.

Any other methodology leads to madness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You give me 6.4 billion whales and I will cover every square mm of Iraq with whale paste.

e: also several billion dollars allocated through the AUMF

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why we're trying to get Japan to invade Iraq, but I'm here for it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

zoux posted:

You give me 6.4 billion whales and I will cover every square mm of Iraq with whale paste.

They’re not the hell your Wales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I say we try, simply because the first step is repopulating the world's oceans with whales, and the project will run out of funding long before step 2: whale flensing for square miles, can commence