Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
When did people get too cool for the word “alleged”? It’s literally one weird trick to talk 24/7 about someone’s crimes without anyone being able to say boo about it.

Nobody hears “alleged rapist” and thinks “hmm, sounds unproblematic”. They think “probably a rapist, and on a side note the person telling me about it obviously hews closely to the truth”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, isn’t that the Five for Fighting guy from the 2000s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRz4FY0ZcwI
Five for Fighting is (was?) the name for singer-songwriter John Ondrasik's projects.
Five Times August is the name for singer-songwriter Brad Skistimas's projects.

Both of them are conservatives, but Ondrasik's public expression of that is mostly generic We Love Our Troops/USO shows, complaining about the Afghanistan withdrawal, and trying to get a "Live Aid for Ukraine" benefit concert off the ground.

Skistimas's conservatism is more "tweeting a lot of dumb poo poo", appearing on Fox News, writing songs about the plandemic and Biden's dark plans to destroy democracy, etc.

Five for Fighting was genuinely popular twenty years ago, Five Times August was just astroturfed into being big enough for "Sad Little Man" and "Silent War" to chart.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hilary-bidens-america/

quote:

The wrath of tropical storm Hilary: 42 million desperate souls in the path of the storm, which made landfall in Mexico several hours ago, but they let it right into the country because it's Biden's America.

The impact — far from over: The first tropical storm to hit California since 1939 — when Joe Biden started his senate career — forecasters warned there could be catastrophic and life-threatening flooding.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Are we sure this isn't a Colbert Show bit?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I am impressed that Biden was able to become a senator 3 years before he was born.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

I am impressed that Biden was able to become a senator 3 years before he was born.

It's impressive how the right wing has convinced themselves that Democrats are all Time Lords.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Seems pretty clear that it's a joke?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ErIog posted:

It's not who you voted for. It's party affiliation in order to register for closed primaries or connect you with party GOTV efforts or mailing lists. It is a bit silly considering the US federal system has no real concept of political parties, but many states do in order to ensure fairness in the primary or caucus process. I believe many or most states have a "none," option.

In Massachusetts, at least, you can register as independent, which means no party affiliation, which is different from the state-recognized Independent party because politics is a clownshow.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

The Artificial Kid posted:

When did people get too cool for the word “alleged”? It’s literally one weird trick to talk 24/7 about someone’s crimes without anyone being able to say boo about it.

Nobody hears “alleged rapist” and thinks “hmm, sounds unproblematic”. They think “probably a rapist, and on a side note the person telling me about it obviously hews closely to the truth”.

For a serious answer media people get grilled into their head now that "alleged" isn't a strong enough defense against defamation. Just attribute all claims to a source and you're a whole lot safer.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That would imply that someone at Fox News has a sense of humor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you say so.

I don't know who the Conservabot 3000 Radio Host I heard today it was who called Joe Biden "A giant piece of human garbage" for his admittedly awkward attempt at empathy for the Maui fire victims when he shared a story of a fire at his house but the host said that "Joe made it all about him", which was kind of rich coming from a Trumpian.

Biden even prefaced the remarks by saying he wasn't trying to compare the situations in any meaningful way but that, this one time in his life, he had a scare with a fire or something.

here it is:

quote:

"I don't want to compare difficulties but we have a little sense, Jill and I, of what it's like to lose a home," he said. "Years ago now, 15 years ago, I was in Washington doing Meet the Press. It was a sunny Sunday," he continued.

"Lightning struck at home, on a little lake that's outside of our home—not a lake, a big pond,—and hit a wire that came up underneath our home into the heating ducts and air conditioning ducts," he added.

"To make a long story short, I almost lost my wife, my '67 Corvette, and my cat."

Truly outrageous and monstrous.

Reminder that Donald Trump took free throw practice tossing rolls of paper towels at Puerto Rican hurricane victims. He also bragged about having the tallest building in NYC after 9/11 but, hey, get a load of this Biden guy.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
The right is turning on Oliver Anthony after it turns out he’s not racist enough for them.

https://x.com/armanddoma/status/1693994819780239838?s=46&t=8eGAks3mGgDHUb4Mz4yNSw

https://x.com/krangtnelson/status/1694073045667684724?s=46&t=8eGAks3mGgDHUb4Mz4yNSw

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 23, 2023

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
e: double post

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I thought "melting pot" was actually reactionary speak for "foreigners need to conform" or is this yet another phrase that has changed meanings 3 times in the last 3 years

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought "melting pot" was actually reactionary speak for "foreigners need to conform" or is this yet another phrase that has changed meanings 3 times in the last 3 years

I think it's supposed to mean "a collection of a lot of different races, religions and cultures"

So anathema for your modern conservative.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/jerrynonumbers/status/1694089590401847720

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Elephant Ambush posted:

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it's supposed to mean "a collection of a lot of different races, religions and cultures"

You're both right- both meanings have been used over the literal century plus of use, though its roots are in pro-immigrant, but arguably assimilationist, rhetorics that are based in direct American patriotism. There's been commentary like "what we really want is a stew" and similar to push back on the monocultural aspects. The shift to straight xenophobia is relatively recent, iirc.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 23, 2023

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I first learned the phrase on School House Rocks when I was a kid and it was presented in a positive light. Everyone conforms a little but brings all their cool culture and food and dances and stuff here and we can learn from those things and hang out and get along

Then before the pandemic I definitely saw people on this forum talk about how the phrase is racist and now it means "everyone must speak English and act white" and now I guess the old meaning has been restored?

Edit: oh ok thanks

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah I've definitely seen it as a racist dog-whistle "Why can't these (Ethnic group we're mad at today) assimilate like the Irish?" But in the post-Trump world any ethnic group successfully assimilating is in fact part of a plot by nefarious entities to steal Are Wimmin.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I first learned the phrase on School House Rocks when I was a kid and it was presented in a positive light. Everyone conforms a little but brings all their cool culture and food and dances and stuff here and we can learn from those things and hang out and get along

Then before the pandemic I definitely saw people on this forum talk about how the phrase is racist and now it means "everyone must speak English and act white" and now I guess the old meaning has been restored?

Not speaking for everyone but I think I lean towards the definition from the Saturday morning educational cartoon shorts over the Proud Boys version.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
More restaurant choices and discovering creative new swear words are win win in my opinion.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Not speaking for everyone but I think I lean towards the definition from the Saturday morning educational cartoon shorts over the Proud Boys version.

I agree with you I was just expressing my confusion and it was answered :)

Panfilo posted:

More restaurant choices and discovering creative new swear words are win win in my opinion.

100%

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's pretty much this.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So Duckshake Milk released another song and it's seemingly more Lukewarm Nothingness Vaguely Political Music packaged in a way boomers and/or conservative white people will lap up like it's genius.

I already want that guy to gently caress off and he's only been in the public eye for like, a month at most.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So Duckshake Milk released another song and it's seemingly more Lukewarm Nothingness Vaguely Political Music packaged in a way boomers and/or conservative white people will lap up like it's genius.

I already want that guy to gently caress off and he's only been in the public eye for like, a month at most.

You should show greater respect for our 48th president.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Last time I heard it, it was an American exceptionalist idea used to describe American identity as a distinct identity with diverse roots, so it's kind of assimilationist at the micro level (conceptualized in an allegiance-changing way, like shedding the idea that one belongs to another society and embracing membership in American society instead) but multicultural at the macro level (i.e. it conceptualizes the American identity as a mix of influences from its membership, rather than one with deep historical roots, a product of the US being a relatively new country), so it doesn't really neatly define as one or the other.

Maybe I'm getting some of that wrong and maybe he's only thinking of it in terms of exactly 2 words that's just like "yeah, melting pot, multiculturalism is awesome!" but people get different ideas about it because the concept is a bit anachronistic. It originated from a period of trying to encourage national unity when US society was having problems with fragmentation along ethnic lines tying back to regional European ancestry, and it also gets used in ways that imply that Americans have historically had a welcoming attitude toward immigrants, which is not terrifically true.

Also one reason that this conception of American society involves not having deep historical roots in the local geography is because it was busy purging the indigenous culture and eventually the indigenous population.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 23, 2023

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hey Laura Loomer, how are things going?
https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1694178235624366266
Cool. Cool.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So he's like a non-ironic, political version of Bo Burnham's country singer bit?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Burnham's bit criticized rich out of touch musicians cosplaying as working class. Oliver Anthony technically it's some nobody out in the middle of Virginia at least which is why I think the right is signal boosting him so hard they can lean heavily on his authenticity. He hasn't yet "sold out" in spite of having the most popular song on several music charts which helps him even further.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Burnham's bit criticized rich out of touch musicians cosplaying as working class. Oliver Anthony technically it's some nobody out in the middle of Virginia at least which is why I think the right is signal boosting him so hard they can lean heavily on his authenticity. He hasn't yet "sold out" in spite of having the most popular song on several music charts which helps him even further.

But he is definitely a cousin of the type of artist referenced in the Bo song, IMO.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/J6ssicaWatkins/status/1693621311380045909?t=eVDa59oE6m-J6NZbPSXgoA&s=19

Is this officially the gold medal winner in the "leopards eating my face" competition?

We all make fun of minority conservatives but there has to be some special award given to a trans conservative that's stupid enough to risk prison while also being even stupider to think she was going to get back up from her "friends" yo put her in the prison of her choice right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr Interweb posted:

We all make fun of minority conservatives but there has to be some special award given to a trans conservative that's stupid enough to risk prison while also being even stupider to think she was going to get back up from her "friends" yo put her in the prison of her choice right?

We might actually get bipartisan support for Bureau of Prisons to change its policies out of this, so that's good. And she absolutely deserves to spend the 8-year sentence she earned, in a women's prison.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BiggerBoat posted:

Gotta post it, this is what we were being taught before Ronald loving Reagan ruined everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCJ5qZjHaq4

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/J6ssicaWatkins/status/1694193486189236363?t=FJIJ66tyC6du1kNn6OnSNA&s=19

Welp, thus far she seems to hold out hope the leopards are on their way to help her

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

mllaneza posted:

We might actually get bipartisan support for Bureau of Prisons to change its policies out of this, so that's good.
If MAGA people have to choose between reforming sentencing of trans people or throwing her under the bus, she's going under the bus.

The absolute most she's going to get is an attempt at a pardon.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Feels good to be past that period where libertarians pretended they were anything but really stupid Republicans

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Name Change posted:

Feels good to be past that period where libertarians pretended they were anything but really stupid Republicans

They were and always will be Republicans who hated either Weed Criminalization or Age of Consent laws,.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Name Change posted:

The Mises Caucus taking over the party was a big indicator of this, as they started to lean very heavily in culture war stuff. A lot of libertarians now are virulently anti trans and have no problem with directing the violence of the state against them. Particularly once people stopped caring about Covid and their anti Vax/anti mask stances were redundant, they moved to the same right wing boogeymen you see other Republicans targeting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tough break for the OTHER Jessica Watkins in the google search results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LionYeti posted:

They were and always will be Republicans who hated ... Age of Consent laws,.

That's just Republicans.