Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Laserface posted:

The only difference between 1/4" and XLR is the noise floor is lower, I thought? Better for mixing. If there's audible noise on the line from the pre amp on 1/4" it may still be there with the XLR output.

Yeah, balanced vs unbalanced. If you had a 30 ft cable it would make sense but for a short run , probably doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I lucked into getting an ampeg SVT 8x10. It's loving huge but it's completely beat to poo poo.
Is it dumb to refinish it?
I was thinking of taking off the tolex/vinyl, sanding and refinishing with Duratex.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like bare wood cabinets / heads so go for it. A friend of mine did that to an old jcm800 he got at a pawn shop and the wood has this lovely aged yellow look to it now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

AFewBricksShy posted:

I lucked into getting an ampeg SVT 8x10. It's loving huge but it's completely beat to poo poo.
Is it dumb to refinish it?
I was thinking of taking off the tolex/vinyl, sanding and refinishing with Duratex.

Unless it's from the first few years of production, like pre-Magnavox era (before 1971) you're likely not going to affect any collectors value in refinishing it. And even then, most collectors are going to want it in good original condition.

I'm firmly of the mindset that this poo poo is meant to be played, HARD. So hell yeah, get it up and running!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like bare wood cabinets / heads so go for it. A friend of mine did that to an old jcm800 he got at a pawn shop and the wood has this lovely aged yellow look to it now.

The Duratex pretty much is a paint on tolex finish.
https://www.acrytech.com/product/speaker-cabinet-coating-duratex-roller-grade-black-1-gallon/

Scarf posted:

Unless it's from the first few years of production, like pre-Magnavox era (before 1971) you're likely not going to affect any collectors value in refinishing it. And even then, most collectors are going to want it in good original condition.

I'm firmly of the mindset that this poo poo is meant to be played, HARD. So hell yeah, get it up and running!
This poo poo was played hard. And dropped down a couple of stair cases as well apparently.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 15, 2023

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
DuraTex is also very easy to touch up if when it falls down another staircase. Strip it down, remove all hardware etc, touch up any big dings with some bondo, roll on three coats, slap all the hardware back on, throw some noise.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I used DuraTex on a cabinet once and probably wouldn't do it again. What I learned is you need to consider is what kind of damage the cab will do to other things. It will scratch up your trunk, scuff up walls, snag on clothes, etc. And the bigger and heavier the cab is, the more damage it will do.

If its a nice looking plywood under there, voting seal and clearcoat it. If its from the years of OSB then new vinyl or rat fur.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Got asked today which pedal I was using to make my Bass VI one octave lower.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

lol

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Captain Splendid posted:

... well? What pedal????????

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

tarlibone posted:

... well? What pedal????????

The Lee Sklar Producer's Special.

*taps foot switch and a conspicuous and impressive LED turns on.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrChu posted:

I used DuraTex on a cabinet once and probably wouldn't do it again. What I learned is you need to consider is what kind of damage the cab will do to other things. It will scratch up your trunk, scuff up walls, snag on clothes, etc. And the bigger and heavier the cab is, the more damage it will do.

If its a nice looking plywood under there, voting seal and clearcoat it. If its from the years of OSB then new vinyl or rat fur.

It’s osb. I bought the duratex already before I saw your comment so I’m going with that. It’s going to look great though.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Coming up on having been playing 6 months or so, and a lot of the reasons I bought a short scale ended up being silly, but I do still enjoy my MIM Fender PJ.

I'm thinking about getting a second bass, and I think I want a full scale with humbuckers. Maybe even active or passive/active.

Does the thread have recommendations for me to check out?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://glguitars.com/product/l-2000-2/

can't go wrong with G&L

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sterling sub 4 knockoff of the Music man stingray is still my go to bass. Nothing else sounds like it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Seconding this, I adore my kiloton 5.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Captain Splendid posted:

Kind of related, I have a Bass VI, but have been looking at the shortscale Jaguar Bass. Does it offer anything the Bass VI lacks, being I think the same body with a 30" neck. If I'm okay with the 6 strings does the Jag bass have anything for me besides a different pickup config.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kind of related, I have a Bass VI, but have been looking at the shortscale Jaguar Bass. Does it offer anything the Bass VI lacks, being I think the same body with a 30" neck. If I'm okay with the 6 strings does the Jag bass have anything for me besides a different pickup config.

Lucky you I have both (Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar bass)

The Jag is a 32" scale neck and the bodies are not the same. If you want a 30" regular bass with a Bass VI body that's the Rascal bass , which is limited edition.

The thing here is that they are fundamentally different instruments, you can definitely use a Bass VI in place of a regular bass but tonally it's not the same and you can't play it the same way (string spacing makes two-finger-style playing more challenging and slapping a lot more so).

The Bass VI is really more for experimenting with different sounds and playing styles rather than being a go-to bass. You can do some really cool melodic stuff, chords etc. but compared to a regular bass the sustain is pretty bad.

The Jaguar bass has a PJ configuration, 2 volume and 2 tone, a slightly shorter scale and a Jazz Bass neck, on paper it's exactly what I wanted in an instrument and I'm very, very pleased with it.

So, the short answer to your question is: absolutely yes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've been using my Bass VI in liu of a guitar with a pretty dense pedalboard as I'm stretching myself singing and writing songs. I love the drat thing.

But I also got the pickups replaced by a Jaguar Bass style pickup.

E: well sorta, this is the ppl who did the mod. Good stuff; https://soundlaboratories.us/bass-vi-%22jag-one%22

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 23, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Captain Splendid posted:

Lucky you I have both (Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar bass)

The Jag is a 32" scale neck and the bodies are not the same. If you want a 30" regular bass with a Bass VI body that's the Rascal bass , which is limited edition.

The thing here is that they are fundamentally different instruments, you can definitely use a Bass VI in place of a regular bass but tonally it's not the same and you can't play it the same way (string spacing makes two-finger-style playing more challenging and slapping a lot more so).

The Bass VI is really more for experimenting with different sounds and playing styles rather than being a go-to bass. You can do some really cool melodic stuff, chords etc. but compared to a regular bass the sustain is pretty bad.

The Jaguar bass has a PJ configuration, 2 volume and 2 tone, a slightly shorter scale and a Jazz Bass neck, on paper it's exactly what I wanted in an instrument and I'm very, very pleased with it.

So, the short answer to your question is: absolutely yes.

This is useful, although I'm talking specifically about the Vintage Modified Jag basses Squier do which are 30". Not sure if there have been Fender 30" ones that have been discontinued, besides the Mike Kerr signature that's just coming out. But between the Bass VI and my 6 string Jag I know I like the bodyshape,

How do the controls work on your Jag bass? I see some use a regular pickup switch but some don't have on, are the pickup toggled purely by rolling the volume on and off all the way?

I should also compare against my current "proper" bass, the Gretsch Electromatic Jet 2220 , shortscale with a pair of minihumbuckers. I like it quite a bit but I think I might like the contoured offset over the boxy LP style. I could look at going to a mid- or full-scale bass rather than doubling on short, but I don't know how well I'll get on with a larger scale yet.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Classic Vibe replaced the Vintage Modified series, any VM Jaguar basses you see will be second hand

The main difference is the CV has a 32" vs 30" on the VM, and the CV has stacked volume/tone controls for each pickup like an original Jazz Bass whereas the VM has 2 volumes and 1 master tone like a modern Jazz Bass.

There's no pickup selector for either, it's all controlled by the volume knobs as you've guessed, which is the case for most multi-pickup configurations.

When playing, 32" is noticeably more than the Bass VI's 30" but noticeably less than a regular 34", the neck at the nut is also much narrower than on the Bass VI.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This isn't an urgent question, just out of curiosity, since I'm certainly not likely to be a live bassist any time soon.

I picked up a Blackstar Unity 30 Practice Amp. One neat feature is that it has an XLR output that's advertised as being for connection with the Blackstar Unity 250ACT. Is that just marketing stuff so I use Blackstar speakers, or would it work with any speaker?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

This isn't an urgent question, just out of curiosity, since I'm certainly not likely to be a live bassist any time soon.

I picked up a Blackstar Unity 30 Practice Amp. One neat feature is that it has an XLR output that's advertised as being for connection with the Blackstar Unity 250ACT. Is that just marketing stuff so I use Blackstar speakers, or would it work with any speaker?

So the 250 is a combination powered speaker, passive cabinet. You could plug a normal amp into the passive input. If you hook up your little combo to it it uses the 30 watt as a preamp, but gives you the full wattage of the 250 for the power amp stage. It doesn't look like the unity 30 has a regular speaker output, so you wouldn't be able to use a regular speaker cab.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Armacham posted:

So the 250 is a combination powered speaker, passive cabinet. You could plug a normal amp into the passive input. If you hook up your little combo to it it uses the 30 watt as a preamp, but gives you the full wattage of the 250 for the power amp stage. It doesn't look like the unity 30 has a regular speaker output, so you wouldn't be able to use a regular speaker cab.

Neat, thank you! I like this practise amp for what it is, but I'm a total amp neophyte outside of 50w tops practice amps.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
When you start rehearsing in a band setting you'll basically want a 200w combo as a baseline to keep up, you might need more but it depends on the volume levels of your band

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

I should also compare against my current "proper" bass, the Gretsch Electromatic Jet 2220 , shortscale with a pair of minihumbuckers. I like it quite a bit but I think I might like the contoured offset over the boxy LP style. I could look at going to a mid- or full-scale bass rather than doubling on short, but I don't know how well I'll get on with a larger scale yet.
About those minihumbuckers... apparently they're not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl6NNewD5ZY

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

bought a yamaha bbp35 a couple weeks ago, just arrived today. messed around with it a little bit at home and took it straight to a gig today, and man it sounded amazing. been playing a 4 string fat old pbass with some old-rear end flats for a month. so it was a little awkward to play, especially with the fresh very zingy and bright rounds, so i'm super excited to get settled in with this one. pretty sure i'm gonna end up throwing some flats on this one too.

but yeah, super stoked. everything i was looking for. 5 string, great p sound, nice bite with the j blended in, really nice j sound soloed as well tbh. gently caress yeah!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm trying to split my signal, so one goes into my Boss Katana and is modified to act as the 'guitar'. For now I'm plugging directly into the Katana to rule out anything going on in my main rig, and I'm having trouble:

I've got two FX pedals set up in there, one is +oct with 0 dry signal, and the other is +oct-5th (i.e. a power chord above the root note) with 100 dry signal too. In theory this should be perfect, but it sounds like absolute poo poo using either the Pitch Shifter (a horrendous detuned ring modulator sound) or Harmonist (same).

I know I can achieve this with a HOG but I'm not that wealthy and I'm mostly just dicking around - is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Question part 2: What's the current solution for simple drums to jam along with - back in the day it was BeatBuddy or maybe the Digitech Trio?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 31, 2023

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Do either of those effects sound good on their own? What order are they going in?

If it’s set up how you described, the first one is adding an octave. Then the second one is adding another octave plus a fifth (so two octaves above original note), and then passing through the first shifted octave. Depending on how good the tracking is that’s going to sound pretty artificial at best, or get warbly if the pitches are slightly off or if there’s a processing delay between effects.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I wasn't very clear, I've tried various permutations of pedal bend, pitch shifter and harmonist and all of them have a kind of weird bell ring modulation in the octave above or higher, it's just... not good. I'd rather now throw £400 at the HOG to validate my theory - it seems bananas that I've got the Katana with all this built-in processing power and it can't do a simple octave up effect without it sound like utter rubbish???

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
if the katana is emulating an oc-2, the tracking is definitely imperfect - analog octave pedals don't track perfectly, and i imagine even the digital emulation wants to capture that character. you're asking a lot of it by routing the way you are, and like chu said even a minute amount of processing delay is going to lead to you playing an improperly intonated fifth.

you're asking the amp to make your note go essentially the entire range of the electric bass, it's a tall order; just doing a single octave or octave+5th will be a lot more practical. if you really want to stick with this routing, use the bare minimum amount of gain possible, and remove the dry signal entirely; your signal will be out of tune, but not having the dry signal will at least remove the most impactful waveform from your signal, and remove the part the 2 octave+5th signal is sounding the most out of tune against.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is entirely a me-problem but its pissing me off enough to post in the hopes that someone else relates or has any tips.

Im left handed. I play left handed. Reading charts on scales is unintuitive as I am reading left to right, but hand is moving right to left up the scale.

Something about reading the scale one way and moving my hand another makes it near impossible for me to do it by memory/feel alone and it took me a good 30min to learn how to play a scale on one string.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

creamcorn posted:

if the katana is emulating an oc-2, the tracking is definitely imperfect - analog octave pedals don't track perfectly, and i imagine even the digital emulation wants to capture that character. you're asking a lot of it by routing the way you are, and like chu said even a minute amount of processing delay is going to lead to you playing an improperly intonated fifth.

you're asking the amp to make your note go essentially the entire range of the electric bass, it's a tall order; just doing a single octave or octave+5th will be a lot more practical. if you really want to stick with this routing, use the bare minimum amount of gain possible, and remove the dry signal entirely; your signal will be out of tune, but not having the dry signal will at least remove the most impactful waveform from your signal, and remove the part the 2 octave+5th signal is sounding the most out of tune against.

The two pedals I'm emulating are the PS2 (Pitch Shifter) and PS6 (Harmonist) and Pitch Bend (whammy). I have totally removed the dry signal so it should just be a single tone, and even just asking one octave by itself (from any of the three pedals) doesn't work. It's not even that it's not tuned to A440 it's that it sounds like ring modulated bell-tone garbage. I am definitely trying to do something non-standard with it, but I really didn't think that a simple octave up effect was unobtainable on the Katana :(

The solution of course is an ABY pedal and HOG - but that's £450 I'm not prepared to invest...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Laserface posted:

This is entirely a me-problem but its pissing me off enough to post in the hopes that someone else relates or has any tips.

Im left handed. I play left handed. Reading charts on scales is unintuitive as I am reading left to right, but hand is moving right to left up the scale.

Something about reading the scale one way and moving my hand another makes it near impossible for me to do it by memory/feel alone and it took me a good 30min to learn how to play a scale on one string.

Take the scale chart and write it down on a piece of paper in left hand form. Regular lined paper works fine, just have to draw in the frets. The act of transposing it and writing it down will help cement the shape in memory

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Take the scale chart and write it down on a piece of paper in left hand form. Regular lined paper works fine, just have to draw in the frets. The act of transposing it and writing it down will help cement the shape in memory

That'll do!

you'd think in 2023 we would have a simple 'flip' button but I guess being 10% of the population and then an even further percentage smaller of lefties that actually play lefty means theres just no reason for it. oh well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Laserface posted:

That'll do!

you'd think in 2023 we would have a simple 'flip' button but I guess being 10% of the population and then an even further percentage smaller of lefties that actually play lefty means theres just no reason for it. oh well.

I was a dork in high school so my notebook doodles were all the scales on guitar necks. They were from the monster book of scales and modes but that material is taught as the CAGED method now. The act of writing down each thing over and over again helped cement the shapes in my head. Now I'm not telling you to be like Bart Simpson and punish yourself by being forced to write them down over and over, but if you're bored in a meeting or are killing time at work then it might help to memorize the shape by drawing them from memory a bunch of times

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Laserface posted:

That'll do!

https://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/

This has a lefty flip button*. That said the writing it out is better for learning but this is here for those lazy days.

* I'm a righty that's not wearing her glasses so idk if it's flipping the right stuff.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

https://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/

This has a lefty flip button*. That said the writing it out is better for learning but this is here for those lazy days.

* I'm a righty that's not wearing her glasses so idk if it's flipping the right stuff.

this is what i was after! you're rad. thanks :)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I've been getting consistent fuzz and weird noises when rolling my bass knob on Steeling SUB 4 bass. My friend who's really good at fixing guitars says he can't find a pre-amp to replace my current one which he says would fix the issue. Anyone have any idea on what I should do (other than buy a proper Music Man lol).

E: well he says I should replace the bass pot (the last pot) and he says on this model it's connected to the preamp, necessitating a new preamp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm drawing a blank on which one to point you to but I was looking at clones of several of them including that one a few weeks ago. Ended up going w/ a 2 band I had to order from OSH Park.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/mnats

I think you can kinda do whatever (like all the expensive ones that come with control plates are drop-in on any Stingray, afaik) unless you're looking to get one that sounds exactly the same and then it's figuring out which exact model yours is (cause there's like 5-6 current/historical models called Sterling SUB)