Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i've been turning up the network at my company's new office in the middle of sf

currently the building is only serviced by comcast, and the best they can do is 500/35 docsis. oh, but they'll give you two of those -- no bonding or bgp, you get to set up a nat poo poo show to use both

currently waiting on a 5gbit dedicated fiber to be installed by comcast, but that takes months to build out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i've been turning up the network at my company's new office in the middle of sf

currently the building is only serviced by comcast, and the best they can do is 500/35 docsis. oh, but they'll give you two of those -- no bonding or bgp, you get to set up a nat poo poo show to use both

currently waiting on a 5gbit dedicated fiber to be installed by comcast, but that takes months to build out

Make two separate networks, one for you one for the rest of the company. If anyone sends in a ticket move them to the good one

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

distortion park posted:

Make two separate networks, one for you one for the rest of the company. If anyone sends in a ticket move them to the good one

:hmmyes:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i work for an ISP and have a ticket for some Tesla solar management unit and they're demanding port 80 and 443 open to the internet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DJ Commie posted:

i work for an ISP and have a ticket for some Tesla solar management unit and they're demanding port 80 and 443 open to the internet

https://github.com/hackerschoice/thc-tesla-powerwall2-hack

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Mr. Nice! posted:

comcast charges monthly for modem rentals so i just buy my own periodically. it’s cheaper in the long run.

i’ll never forget when comcast changed their pricing “with no price increase!” by bumping the cost of leasing a cable modem down by $10 and bumping service up by $10, just to gently caress over people like me that had bought their own

whatever fuckers, i’d already come out ahead by that point anyhow. so glad to not be on comcast anymore, for many reasons including their service just being poo poo

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i feel sorta bad about perpetuating the “bitch about lovely isps” detail but not that bad, such is my rage towards comcast

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i got my gpon service when they were still using the huawei sfp gpon modules, so i just have that thing stuffed into a mikrotik and it works like a charm.

gpon de floor

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm on a wireless isp where a 5ghz dish points at a base station a few km away. their fastest plan is rate limited to 50mbitdn/15mbitup, but it consistently gets exactly that speed so i wonder if i could just pay more money to make it faster. it's probably editable in the transceiver settings but the isp are good people and i don't wanna piss them off

would be great to be on fiber but the nearest service for that is like 10km up the road and probably real expensive to extend since govt aren't subsidizing the location. wish they just said "addresses with power/phone also get fiber now" but not yet i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if their gear is anything like the mikrotik wisp stuff, the rate can be set on the transceivers, but it's more likely set to the max stable link speed and then the limits are configured on the port or account on the backend

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

this is cambium brand but looks functionally equivalent

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

if their gear is anything like the mikrotik wisp stuff, the rate can be set on the transceivers, but it's more likely set to the max stable link speed and then the limits are configured on the port or account on the backend

this is the way pretty much all non-consumer connections work. buy a 5gbit circuit? that's gonna be delivered to you via a 10gbase-lr link

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
nobody except bargain basement wisps use cpe-side rate limiting (cable via coax and huge rate gpon being an exception) instead use preseem or other edge inserted setups for rate limiting

before preseem about 6 years ago we used mikrotik edge routers performing the limiting and we could only do that because we had cpes do nat to the public IP itself, otherwise the CPU usage for edge nat and rate limiting would have been infeasible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apparently someone still uses winrar

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quote:

WinRAR has more than 500 million users who rely on the program

well that seems generous

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
yes, I "rely" on winrar to extract my jrpg roms

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

notably, it's not, like, the archive format, it's the winrar application's handling of zip archives that's being exploited

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you know someone was trying to make the windows handler do this and decided to take the easy w

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the built-in windows explorer zip extractor takes like ten times as long as anything else so it has to be doing something stupid

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ya this story has been going around for a few days. the people still using winrar get very defensive and talk about 7zip fanboys when you ask why they're still using it in 2023

there's a whole ecosystem of poo poo apps that security folks will never touch or audit because they think no one uses but there's a large userbase insisting it's the best thing to use and why are you being weird about it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

if you use winrar you’re a loserer

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Does the vuln impact the Linux command line version as well?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

Does the vuln impact the Linux command line version as well?
Isn't tar and pax handled by something like libarchive?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya this story has been going around for a few days. the people still using winrar get very defensive and talk about 7zip fanboys when you ask why they're still using it in 2023
TIL that there's an archive program war.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

TIL that there's an archive program war.
The cold storage war

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a winrar is yuo

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mystes posted:

The cold storage war
:hmmyes:

Guess I need to pick a side before someone starts a proxy war in my filesystem.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like keka because its icon is a lil' rolly polly bug that curls up and compresses your files :3:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

~Coxy posted:

NBNco hosed up a national project by developing some esoteric custom hardware that had multiple data connections (but a 1000/1000 limit on the PHY), two separate POTS connections that nobody ever used, and a giant battery backup that kills its SLA every couple of years (the battery backup also did not power the data connections until recently)

but now this is really offtopic for the secfuck thread

sorry i can't leave this post uncorrected. the AU national broadband network wasn't hosed by NBNco, it was hosed by the Coalition (Lib/Nat) government, specifically Tony Abbott.

the whole loving point of the NBN was to replace all the dogshit copper POTS cabling with fibre, thus delivering FTTP to every home in the country. if you're not from australia you're probably not aware that basically all of our last-mile POTS copper is ancient, some times >40 years old, also the pits and pillars and bridge taps are the same age.

anyway gently caress off the copper was the plan when Labor passed the legislation to establish the NBNco and get things going. unfortunately Labor got turfed from government and the Coalition took over and one of the first things those shiftless fucks did was to gently caress up the NBN, specifically by introducing Multi Technology Mix (MTM). this was basically an excuse to deliver FTTN/HFC instead of FTTP, completely missing the point of the NBN which was to replace the entire copper last-mile. fun fact: former prime minister Tony Abbott announced the change like a couple days after talking to Rupert Murdoch.

anyway, fast-forward to today and the Coalition's MTM bullshit ended up costing more and delivering dogshit service and still the garbage ancient copper remains.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
old people love copper and physical mail and it wont go away until they all die off

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

in australia NBN was supposed to replace all our last-mile copper with fibre but Rupert Murdoch said "oi gently caress off that means dickheads will have high-speed internet and IPTV and other poo poo so they won't pay for Foxtel (Aussie cable TV) this is hosed!"

so Murdoch spoke to Tony Abbott who was PM at the time. and then a few days later in an entirely unrelated incident Tony Abbott announced sweeping changes to the NBN program beginning with the MTM bullshit and ending with subsidies for HFC providers.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
winrar had a better interface than 7z (which at the time was a gui application that was barely able to do anything outside of basic archive/extract) and rar also provided much better compression-ratio-to-time than 7z did.

that was in 2010, though, anyone still using it today is a fuckin weirdo.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

old people love copper and physical mail and it wont go away until they all die off
pots still works for a long time when the power goes out. if the ftth provider doesn't include battery backup on the modem, you're hosed

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

pots still works for a long time when the power goes out. if the ftth provider doesn't include battery backup on the modem, you're hosed

specific to AU, the original NBN which was for GPON FTTP everywhere did account for that and specified CPE with battery-backup. service providers bitched and moaned about that requirement amongst other things and yet these days they sell HFC services with CPE that have 5G modems for backup in them so gently caress them entirely.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

at least here i think they legally have to for 911 reasons

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

winrar had a better interface than 7z (which at the time was a gui application that was barely able to do anything outside of basic archive/extract) and rar also provided much better compression-ratio-to-time than 7z did.

that was in 2010, though, anyone still using it today is a fuckin weirdo.

otoh 7zip is loving depressing even in 2023. please give me

Shame Boy posted:

i like keka because its icon is a lil' rolly polly bug that curls up and compresses your files :3:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and to be clear i don't mean "just add nonsense to software", i mean that 7zip is up there with gnome in the category of "lets just do the barest possible minimum copy of a thing that already existed" which is the worst kind "community" effort

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

and to be clear i don't mean "just add nonsense to software", i mean that 7zip is up there with gnome in the category of "lets just do the barest possible minimum copy of a thing that already existed" which is the worst kind "community" effort

If you want 7zip with a slightly more windows aligned ux there is nanazip, it also uses modern api for extensions(windows will auto populate unused extensions) and menus(it works with windows 11 contextual menu).

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that would require you to be using windows 11, which may be the most pos os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah keka is particularly good because after installing it i have never actually had to think about it or bother with it or figure out how to do something with it again

also, it has a cute bug icon :3: