Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The movies are the inferior way to watch 0079 but whatever you can get to work is worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ninjewtsu posted:

i think "character driven" is just a synonym for "show i like" because i'm not sure anyone ever has any examples of good non-character driven stories

Have you never read Dune

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How’s Gundam Origin?

Do you like Char? Are you already emotionally attached the OYW characters? Is the thing that you like about Char that he does cool stuff, not anything about who he is? If you answered Yes to all of those, Great news, Origin is the show for you!

If you answered no to any of those, are you happy watching a show with cool mech fights even if the plot does nothing to make you invested in any of the cast and turns a complicated character into a super-powered sociopath? Great news! Origin is still the show for you!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/kyryeNotes/status/1693981157145313455

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

i think "character driven" is just a synonym for "show i like" because i'm not sure anyone ever has any examples of good non-character driven stories

Independence Day? Plenty of "event" type stories that rely more on spectacle than dynamic characters are entertaining and well made. I seriously doubt anyone is going to watch The Mummy movies because Brendan Fraser brings immense character driven depth to Rick O'Connell but they still kick rear end.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 23, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

Shin Godzilla

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It’s literally a distinction you can make it’s plot vs character driven

Zodar
May 21, 2007

a lot of people recommending G haven't watched that show recently. that is a great 13-episode show stretched out to a nauseating 50. the gundam horse is great, the shining finger speech is great, chibodee crocket & master asia are great, but that show is like 80% packing peanuts by volume. weak poo poo even by the standards of tournament shonen. you're better off just watching Imagawa's Giant Robo, which hits all of G's highs but with an OVA's budget & brevity.

0079 isn't going to stop being good scifi because it's old. find a good transfer of it and enjoy the ways it looks completely unlike modern shows -- you can see the brushstrokes and the sketchy linework and the fingerprints on the animation cels. watch the movies if 43 episodes is too big a time commitment -- they're an adequate replacement.

whatever you watch next, save Turn A for last. if you get bored midway through Zeta or something and you feel exhausted with the whole exercise, jump straight to Turn A. i recommend this because it's a show that rewards (but never expects) familiarity with gundam's themes, because it's so different from the rest of the franchise in setting & tone, and because it is actually very good, and therefore a hard act to follow.

after that you should check out SDF Macross. that show rules

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Well, better to watch G before you've seen enough Imagawa to take the wind out of its sails. I don't think it has notable overlap with GWitch to be a strong recommendation though, even ignoring how I'd agree about quite a bit of the tournament stuff being weak.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

If you’re gonna watch 08th MS team just don’t forget that the second or third episode I think has the nude 14 year old girl in it that the main character lurks on if you happened to sell your gf who has only seen g witch on watching another gundam series with you

I had completely forgotten about that part, woof.

Zodar posted:

a lot of people recommending G haven't watched that show recently. that is a great 13-episode show stretched out to a nauseating 50. the gundam horse is great, the shining finger speech is great, chibodee crocket & master asia are great, but that show is like 80% packing peanuts by volume. weak poo poo even by the standards of tournament shonen. you're better off just watching Imagawa's Giant Robo, which hits all of G's highs but with an OVA's budget & brevity.

I watched it for the first time last year and loved it. The fight of the week format rules, the ridiculous mech designs rock, and each battle forces Domon to fight in a different way (even if most of them end in a Shining Finger or Erupting Hod Finger/Heat End). I never felt like the show had a slump or dipped into filler territory.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zodar posted:

Giant Robo is kinda bad as far as characters, I've never seen a show that actively wants to get away from the title character as much as the OVA did

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And now for something actually relevant to G Witch itself:

https://twitter.com/shinjishazaki/status/1694194801003114682?t=x-MMZ4aalGv5bAswdYb3zw&s=19

Scans of the staff artbook.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Tae posted:

Giant Robo is kinda bad as far as characters, I've never seen a show that actively wants to get away from the title character as much as the OVA did

neither of them are shows with very good character writing, but that's not their draw. Imagawa makes shows where he bangs his favorite action figures together while they make grandiose speeches about their emotions. they're about bombast and spectacle. i think GR is better at doing that than G, but neither of them have much to do with G-Witch other than "big robots fight," so it's all academic.

if somebody liked G-Witch as a story about kids in robots being let down or exploited by the adults & institutions around them, i'd point them at 0079, Z, ZZ, Victory or IBO. if they wanted a more optimistic take on that premise, i'd recommend X.

and if they came out of G-Witch wanting more shows that start out extremely promising, only to spin out and forget what their stakes or themes were in the final act? shows like Wing or 08th MS Team are great ways to relive those highs and lows.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I always enjoy when IBO is suggested and the second episode throws people and they're like "War is bad? I just wanted cool robot!"

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Zodar posted:

if somebody liked G-Witch as a story about kids in robots being let down or exploited by the adults & institutions around them, i'd point them at 0079, Z, ZZ, Victory or IBO. if they wanted a more optimistic take on that premise, i'd recommend X.

That sounds like me. Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I think I'll start with IBO since it's modern and doesn't have the pressure of being attached to a massive timeline like UC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is only two UC things are very good anyway

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zodar posted:

and if they came out of G-Witch wanting more shows that start out extremely promising, only to spin out and forget what their stakes or themes were in the final act? shows like Wing or 08th MS Team are great ways to relive those highs and lows.

You can't leave Stardust Memory out of that lineup.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

That sounds like me. Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I think I'll start with IBO since it's modern and doesn't have the pressure of being attached to a massive timeline like UC.

Honestly from that list I only see two 'start points,' which are IBO and 0079. I've said it before, I won't recommend Victory to anyone who hasn't already stewed in Tomino Gundam for a bit since it has a lot of baggage related to the creator and the tug of war between the creative team and the publisher. Given that 0079 is the start of the UC franchise, it cannot have baggage by definition. If you bounce off one, try the other, though if rough old animation is the sticking point, IBO is the clear winner. 0079 is a lot like watching old films, where the technology to do the kinds of modern spectacle blockbusters doesn't exist so they either have to stand on other merits (writing, themes, etc) or stand as historical artifacts.

I will say that IBO does (very) broadly have the plot of a Shakespearian tragedy, which might be extra points for folks coming off G-Witch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdr8eJ-6xc

Suletta sings ED1

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zodar posted:

0079 isn't going to stop being good scifi because it's old. find a good transfer of it and enjoy the ways it looks completely unlike modern shows -- you can see the brushstrokes and the sketchy linework and the fingerprints on the animation cels. watch the movies if 43 episodes is too big a time commitment -- they're an adequate replacement.

whatever you watch next, save Turn A for last. if you get bored midway through Zeta or something and you feel exhausted with the whole exercise, jump straight to Turn A. i recommend this because it's a show that rewards (but never expects) familiarity with gundam's themes, because it's so different from the rest of the franchise in setting & tone, and because it is actually very good, and therefore a hard act to follow.

after that you should check out SDF Macross. that show rules

G gundam rules actually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As someone who watched G last year for the first time, G rules

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah monster of the week is actually kinda rad format. G Gundam starts slowly but then you slowly start understanding the greater context of what is happening and why. then there's the Master Asia speech

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i think g is great but like most gundams, 50 episodes is too long

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Probably could have dropped 10-ish episodes from G. I think 39 episodes is the ideal length for a Gundam show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
39 episodes lets you do a good story without skimping on detours for salt or driveby Zakrello attack.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Agree. I also think 39-40 would have been perfect for eureka seven!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if you want something along the lines of GWitch try Birdie Wing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cosigned. Birdie Wing has golf Newtypes, Amuro and Char, and Gunpla.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I am going to try Birdie Wing.

But before that, I started IBO and while the first few episodes were good, the space yakuza and not-Shaddiq felt kind of silly and mismatched tonally. Episodes 8 and 9 kind of just feel off to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah the middle of season 1 is definitely a low point of the show. Thankfully it follows up that but with the best part of the show.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1694813075453714463?s=46&t=RfhlX-UN9YMscISDFJ-6Yw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah that's definitely an Ippei Gyobu design

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zodar posted:

, only to spin out and forget what their stakes or themes were in the final act? shows like Wing or 08th MS Team are great ways to relive those highs and lows.

I can see if you just plain don’t like those shows because each has its problems, but I don’t get this particular critique. Wing was always pure chaos from the first episode and 180’d its status quo every few episodes, so the finale was no more out of place than the preceding 50 episodes. And the 08th had a pretty standard arc of: MC wants to blow up zeon MA and get laid in Nam’>MC blows up zeon MA and gets laid in Nam’.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I know this is the eternal debate, but since no one else has let me just chime in and say if you like long character development, interaction, exploration of war's effects on multiple different subgroups, and shades of gray, the movies are not an adequate stand in for the original series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/680mm/status/1696192337263927718

Permet up your cores

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying to build a Prodoros but far as I can tell there's no glaive kind of weapon in the game. We was robbed of that beauty getting more fights in the show so I need to blow up corpos and permet ghostsCoral voices with my kamikaze corpse man instead.

It's a really good game, you should all play it especially if you like the Peil House mobile suit designs.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mobile Sweet Gundam

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm trying to build a Prodoros but far as I can tell there's no glaive kind of weapon in the game. We was robbed of that beauty getting more fights in the show so I need to blow up corpos and permet ghostsCoral voices with my kamikaze corpse man instead.

It's a really good game, you should all play it especially if you like the Peil House mobile suit designs.

There's for sure some sort of laser naginata

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc the closest thing is the laser lance, which is less a “lance” and more a beam spike with a shitload of rockets on the back to launch you forward when fired

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc the closest thing is the laser lance, which is less a “lance” and more a beam spike with a shitload of rockets on the back to launch you forward when fired

That's what I've been using primarily when I don't use the pilebunker. It's more of a Falcon Punch, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Got my permet score up