Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

FaradayCage posted:

Unrelated to the current topic, I saw someone post chiles en nogada except they used almonds instead of walnuts for the sauce. Claimed almonds are less bitter and cheaper.

Were walnuts originally chosen because that's what was around at the time? Or would there be a significant texture difference in the negative?

Because holy hell it would be a thousand times easier to just buy blanched almonds than to but walnuts peel them with a dentist pick like I (actually my friend that I gave the three hour task to) did last time.

Flavor wise, it should be fine. 90% of the elaborate prep for the walnuts are remnants from the fact that Castilian walnuts are especially bitter. Peeling the skin off the walnuts is more to make sure the sauce is as pale and smooth as possible. You can skip that step with no change in flavor and just a slightly less smooth sauce.
That said, Nogada is walnut in Spanish, so it's like making trout almondine with pecans. Delicious, but not really almondine anymore. Either way, you can skip the dental pick unless you're dead set on a perfectly white sauce with no brown flecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bit of a weird question, would the calorie content of soybeans change by much during tempeh fermentation? I'm logging my calories and I was just going to put in the soybeans basically, but I actually don't know if the nutrition is significantly changed by the fermentation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I once made cherry pit ice cream, and yet I still cannot think of somebody I love enough to peel the skin of walnut meats for.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I had to look that one up.

The cherry pits infuse the ice-cream with that wonderful almond flavour found in all stone-fruit pits.

Isn't that flavour cyanide?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Same thing as peach pits, which are also used to flavor Southern Comfort and creme de noyaux

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Duckbill posted:

I had to look that one up.

The cherry pits infuse the ice-cream with that wonderful almond flavour found in all stone-fruit pits.

Isn't that flavour cyanide?

A quick google indicates that cooking will neutralize the toxins in cyanide, but yes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kind of. This is one of those things where the ingredient is toxic, but unless you consume a lot regularly it probably won't kill you. It takes around 50 bitter almonds (which are substantially less common and very unpleasant to eat raw) to kill a grown person; the incredibly small fraction of that used in a traditional Sicilian almond granita isn't going to hurt anyone.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
What are people's favorite ways to use smoked trout? I impulse bought some, and other than on crackers or flaked on potatoes with a white sauce, I haven't done much with it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you’re up for the effort, making crispy smoked trout wontons is my favorite use. Thoroughly mix 1:3, trout-cream cheese, wrap in wonton skins and deep fry, serve with sweet and sour, or just straight sweet Thai chili sauce.

Besides that, there are certainly things that are good, but on crackers with caper/dill sauce is, to me, the highest calling for smoked trout.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kedgeree is the way.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arkhamina posted:

What are people's favorite ways to use smoked trout? I impulse bought some, and other than on crackers or flaked on potatoes with a white sauce, I haven't done much with it.

Smoked charcuterie platter with booze

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This was actually a Chez Panisse* recipe that paired cherry pit ice cream with cherry sorbet. Once was enough.

*a silly choice on my part since I do not have sous chefs. Cherry pits bouncing all over the kitchen.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm super allergic to pitted fruits so this entire conversation is absolutely horrifying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arkhamina posted:

Ochazuke.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Arkhamina posted:

I love it as the protein in salads. Seconding kedgeree. Tbh I’m also happy eating it on crackers or just straight-up by hand

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Arkhamina posted:

A simple French omelette with some smoked trout and chives is my go to. If you're feeling more ambitious, grape leaf rolls with smoked trout and pine nuts is amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm super allergic to pitted fruits so this entire conversation is absolutely horrifying.

I could have killed you twice in one meal!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh, lots of good ideas. I had to Google Ochazuke, though!

Winter I tend to be more :effort: about cooking, because in summer, that bandwidth is taken up by canning. There is a pretty good local brand of smoked fish though, and I am trying to eat more fish in general.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arkhamina posted:

The best potato salad I ever ate had smoked trout in it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arkhamina posted:

I keep thinking about making tonnato with trout rather than tuna. I think it's been brought up before

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I feel likenthere should be a crock pot thread.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The power to make that happen is within you. It always has been.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yeah go for it, and just post.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm very tempted. Maybe over the weekend. I just feel like there should be a crockpot thread.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I'm very tempted. Maybe over the weekend. I just feel like there should be a crockpot thread.
If you don't want to create a thread, I feel like slow cooker stuff could probably also go in the pressure cooker thread, because imo you can generally do the same recipes it will just take like 30 minutes in a pressure cooker and 4-8 hours in a slow cooker

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mystes posted:

I feel like slow cooker stuff could probably also go in the pressure cooker thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704340

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm tired of buying canned seltzer and would like to club my own soda, flavoring optional, without plumbing or supporting apartheid governments. What are my options?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

I'm tired of buying canned seltzer and would like to club my own soda, flavoring optional, without plumbing or supporting apartheid governments. What are my options?

Uhh, what's that last part there??? :stare:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Ninja has a sodastream competitor apparently now but I guess it just came out: https://www.ninjakitchen.com/page/thirsti

There are also kits you can use with commercially available gas canisters I guess but that seems more complicated

I think there is one other company that sells something similar to sodastream but I can't remember what it's called.

Mister Facetious posted:

Uhh, what's that last part there??? :stare:
Israel

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 28, 2023

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

Get a siphon (isi’s is good) and generic (food grade) co2 cartridges.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Do ISI canisters charged with CO2 absorb pretty quickly? The nitro chargers I've used tend to take some refrigeration and settling

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Soul Dentist posted:

Do ISI canisters charged with CO2 absorb pretty quickly? The nitro chargers I've used tend to take some refrigeration and settling

It's the same as a soda stream

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yes i know, i meant what product/service/company

mystes
May 31, 2006

SodaStream

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

There's always Drinkmate, and they get bonus points for making the omnifizz designed to be washable so you can fizz juices/things that would void your sodastream warranty.

https://idrinkproducts.com/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scythe posted:

Get a siphon (isi’s is good) and generic (food grade) co2 cartridges.

That's on the range of one half liter per $0.50 cartridge. Sodastream and Omnifizz seem to be about $0.50 per liter, so half as expensive per liter as 8g cartridges.

Full DIY is around $0.05 per liter. Does require the space for the big tank and the confidence to attach a regulator, but there's 1,000 high school kids learning how to do that in your local restaurants every year. If their managers trust them not to explode the franchise, you got this.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm really happy with my drinkmate. I drink a ton of fizzy water, but it's also nice to improve a boring white wine or make ribena soda pop.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm really happy with my drinkmate. I drink a ton of fizzy water, but it's also nice to improve a boring white wine or make ribena soda pop.

Y'all aren't carbonating your sous vide pot roasts?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

That's on the range of one half liter per $0.50 cartridge. Sodastream and Omnifizz seem to be about $0.50 per liter, so half as expensive per liter as 8g cartridges.

Full DIY is around $0.05 per liter. Does require the space for the big tank and the confidence to attach a regulator, but there's 1,000 high school kids learning how to do that in your local restaurants every year. If their managers trust them not to explode the franchise, you got this.

Yeah, I'm very happy with my 5lb. Co2 tank adapter. big money saver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I'm very happy with my 5lb. Co2 tank adapter. big money saver

Got a brand/supplier recommendation for the regulator?