Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shindragon posted:

didnt even get to avenge Chiaztou. Still wont lie the fact he did it with one hand while his other one got punched off was p badass

he can literally grow arms tho, he's so bad!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Honestly that whole part of Z, from Raditz to Vegeta, that was peak Dragon Ball. Everyone trying to hit WAY above their weight class, running different strategies, desperately coming up with plans. A bit of that happens with Frieza before Goku goes Super Saiyan, but after that they basically always have some kind of trump card in their pocket they're just not pulling yet. Either that, or they're just holding back because they want to enjoy the fight. It never feels nearly as desperate.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kurui Reiten posted:

Honestly that whole part of Z, from Raditz to Vegeta, that was peak Dragon Ball. Everyone trying to hit WAY above their weight class, running different strategies, desperately coming up with plans. A bit of that happens with Frieza before Goku goes Super Saiyan, but after that they basically always have some kind of trump card in their pocket they're just not pulling yet. Either that, or they're just holding back because they want to enjoy the fight. It never feels nearly as desperate.

There's the best point of Cell where it's reversed and Cell is doing it back *to them* and they can't deal with it correctly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nanigans posted:

Yet another example of Toei just not "getting it."

yeah they stink and I wish Goku would fight them instead

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Which year will they wrap up the movie arc, '24 or '25? Will we forever be in limbo where the manga reeeeaaaaally half-asses it with original content followed by extreme content movie stretch adaptations? Tune in next time on the next exciting episode of

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

White Light posted:

Which year will they wrap up the movie arc, '24 or '25? Will we forever be in limbo where the manga reeeeaaaaally half-asses it with original content followed by extreme content movie stretch adaptations? Tune in next time on the next exciting episode of

Cell Max is literally towards the end of the movie if I remember right so there can’t be more than a couple chapters left in the arc at most (or maybe there can depending on how long they drag things out)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 24, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It could easily be half a dozen chapters, depending on how long the fight is dragged out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gohan has to transform as well, that could be 1 or 2 chapters

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they need to add like 6 or 7 fake-outs where it looks like the battle is over but then Cell Max pulls a new power out of his rear end

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Augus posted:

they need to add like 6 or 7 fake-outs where it looks like the battle is over but then Cell Max pulls a new power out of his rear end

Knowing the current author Goku will Instant Transmission in and steal the kill from Gohan.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

im still sad at how boring cell max is. it didnt have to be

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cell Max was a last second throw-in to let Gohan go SSj2^2 to pretend the movie was about him and not about Piccolo and Pan loving up the Red Ribbon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also they apparently got Norio Wakamoto back just to have him scream and grunt (which seems like a waste to me)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Black August posted:

Cell Max was a last second throw-in to let Gohan go SSj2^2 to pretend the movie was about him and not about Piccolo and Pan loving up the Red Ribbon

For real, I was shocked how little he seemed to be in the movie for how big he was advertised.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

seriously for god's loving sake, either pony up and get a foolproof Goku voice AI going and have him become the Eternal Protagonist so his poor son can be a family nerd in peace, or throw Gohan out there and make him start winning every fight, this half-half garbage is fooling nobody

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

It's not supposedly, that's how Tenshinhan died against Nappa - he put too much life force into it to power it up and killed himself with his own attack.

Yeah, but then he recovered from doing the same thing to Cell, though DBZ does tend to imply you can basically train past the 'kill yourself' part of kill yourself moves.

Black August posted:

seriously for god's loving sake, either pony up and get a foolproof Goku voice AI going and have him become the Eternal Protagonist so his poor son can be a family nerd in peace, or throw Gohan out there and make him start winning every fight, this half-half garbage is fooling nobody

Gohan and Goku have the same voice actress.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So do Goten and Bardock

Black August posted:

It amazes me that Masako Nozawa can still do everything required of playing a Dragon Ball protagonist despite currently being 86

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Larryb posted:

Also they apparently got Norio Wakamoto back just to have him scream and grunt (which seems like a waste to me)

Throughout the movie I was thinking to myself, "those grunts sound a lot like Wakamoto, but there's no way they tapped him for no actual lines, right?"

Then I say the credits and nearly burst out laughing. Yes, on the one hand, it's a huge waste to pay Norio Wakamoto for no spoken lines, but on the other hand, Cell is his character and it's nice to know that Toei didn't just give those grunts to some rando.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OG Dragonball started in 1986 in Japan. If Nozawa keeps going for the next three years, she'll end up having voiced Goku for a full 40 years.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but then he recovered from doing the same thing to Cell, though DBZ does tend to imply you can basically train past the 'kill yourself' part of kill yourself moves.

Gohan and Goku have the same voice actress.

I don't mean that, I mean in the sense of "If you intend to have Goku Forever, then commit to what's necessary for that and stop dragging Gohan behind him with a rope."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Also please make a Goku Black AI voice, Toei. I need Nozawa to threaten me with those dulcet tones of sinister intent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

OG Dragonball started in 1986 in Japan. If Nozawa keeps going for the next three years, she'll end up having voiced Goku for a full 40 years.

It's genuinely nuts considering that plenty of younger voice actors have talked about how playing screamy shonen types makes their throats want to die.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's genuinely nuts considering that plenty of younger voice actors have talked about how playing screamy shonen types makes their throats want to die.

Yeah, I’m not sure what this woman’s lungs are made out of since there are actors half her age that have issues with that kind of stuff but drat if I don’t appreciate her for it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Black August posted:

Also please make a Goku Black AI voice, Toei. I need Nozawa to threaten me with those dulcet tones of sinister intent.

:chloe:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

What? She did an incredible job playing Goku Black. It was really neat to see her able to do something new with the voice, and she made it work really well. And it's not like we're ever going to get more of that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't wait for Gohan's next leading role to come 20 years down the line where he loses his transformations all over again and relearns them before developing a brand new one out of nowhere to defeat a recreated version of the skinny Buu that turned into Super Buu.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I still liked the original rumors of Android!Raditz way more than cell max.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

New Leaf posted:

Its amazingly subtle. I can't even really explain the differences between them its so close, but it's definitely there. Amazing!

The bloodstain on Goku's face looks like a tear, that's why

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Black August posted:

What? She did an incredible job playing Goku Black. It was really neat to see her able to do something new with the voice, and she made it work really well. And it's not like we're ever going to get more of that.

Stop dickriding AI to replace voice actors loser

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Ryaomon posted:

:yeah:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ryaomon posted:

Wow. Alright, kid.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Mayumi Tanaka's been voicing Krillin nearly as long and Luffy since 1997.

Also Junko Takeuchi isn't nearly as old, but she's been voicing boys since the late 90s. Japanese women are just built differently.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ryaomon posted:

I legitimately thought they were making a weird joke about milking the zombie cash cow at first but uh yeah. Best to drop this.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

mycot posted:

I legitimately thought they were making a weird joke about milking the zombie cash cow at first but uh yeah. Best to drop this.

Yeah that was my intent, but I'm not interested in arguing with kids who are spring-load ready to be reactionary.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They called you a loser because you made a dumbass post so I'm sure you'll get over it oldie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody who posts on this forum is under the age of 30.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
heh, nothin personal kid

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Nanigans posted:

One of my absolute favorite panels in the series.

This is one of the GOAT dragonball panels but every time I look at it I think of this Homer face

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody who posts on this forum is under the age of 30.

that's not actually true. there's still people in their late 20's who post here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Black August posted:

Yeah that was my intent, but I'm not interested in arguing with kids who are spring-load ready to be reactionary.

I could be mean and say go back to Elon but I'm just going to say please leave the "puriteens" slapfighting on Twitter nobody on Something Awful forums is an actual minor lmao