Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

And the worst product name goes to…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

tony quidtana posted:

I've got a perforated leather jacket from Dainese and it works for me other than being cooked a little at lights. But I don't mind the heat that much so it's whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️

Same but I also don’t live in literal hell like some posters. Warmest it gets here is around 90 and humid as all gently caress.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

I've got a perforated leather jacket from Dainese and it works for me other than being cooked a little at lights. But I don't mind the heat that much so it's whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️

Same here, my ceiling seems to be ~105.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I wear an unperforated leather jacket in all conditions in the SW USA, taken it across Arizona in mid-summer many times.

You have to keep moving (stay out of Phoenix or stay on their freeways), wear a t-shirt underneath, and soak it every half hour or so. After a certain point mesh only works against you and you need to retain/use water that’s not coming from your pores.

Pray that you do not find this knowledge useful.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I also wear an unperforated leather jacket year round, so far it's fine in to August, but I am in the PNW. I have a mesh / vinyl hybrid, but it's not as protective and reserved for the hottest of days only.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

NB is anyone is considering an airbag jacket the airbag bit allows no airflow through. Though mine does have other perforated bits and it's OK in hot weather if you keep moving.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Found this website while checking to see if the RPHA 1N price had gone down at all.

$599 is extremely tempting.... Is this a legit store?

https://shop.helmetcountry.com/products/hjc-rpha-1n-red-bull-austin-gp-full-face-helmet?variant=43130123845875

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hello bike gear thread

I like his helmet topper.
The boots, not so much

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hello bike gear thread

I like his helmet topper.
The boots, not so much

Now that’s confidence

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

His toes will never touch because the bike can't lean further than that

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ablative valve covers

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

His toes will never touch because the bike can't lean further than that

until the front washes and he levers it off the

Carteret posted:

ablative valve covers

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

MetaJew posted:

Found this website while checking to see if the RPHA 1N price had gone down at all.

$599 is extremely tempting.... Is this a legit store?

https://shop.helmetcountry.com/products/hjc-rpha-1n-red-bull-austin-gp-full-face-helmet?variant=43130123845875

Looks fine, though their return policy for helmets, including wrong or ill-fitting sizes, excludes closeouts.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah Alpinestars has some as well, but don’t look quite as thin. I tried on a jacket with them, and I could barely even feel them. I want to try swapping out the armor that came with my suit, but last time I looked at them it seemed like the shape was slightly different so it might not work very well. They don’t make a hip version, though, so I wonder what conclusions you can draw from that.

Welp,

I ordered the shoulder, elbow, and knee. The shoulder is mostly the same, the elbow is a little suspect and feels floaty in the jacket, and the knee is lmao I am not even bothering. I swear the Alpinestars website used to have size guide for these, and that's why I ordered the small (my stuff is size EU48). Based on the dimensions listed on Revzilla, the large is only ~2in longer, so still going to be way to small. I wonder if these are just intended for more street/touring oriented gear and not the suits.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Was idly browsing gear a couple nights ago, despite not riding much at the minute, and saw that Knox a) released a new version handroid in June and b) utterly hosed the design, just totally whiffed it

So I picked up one of the last pairs of white full-cuff MkIVs on clearance, £115. Fits like a glove :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
As a short, stocky/fat guy, I am unhappy that the only good riding gear that seems to fit me is Dainese. Is Dainese truly the brand for fat 40 year olds going to starbucks?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

As a short, stocky/fat guy, I am unhappy that the only good riding gear that seems to fit me is Dainese. Is Dainese truly the brand for fat 40 year olds going to starbucks?

I thought that was Joe Rocket's demographic.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

PaintVagrant posted:

No generally Dainese is for lanky skinny euros

Olympia generally makes boxy american type cuts

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm suprised you fit into into dainese as a fat person tbh because I'm relatively thin and my dainese jackets have all been relatively tight fits. but then again I'm 6'2

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive always struggled with clothes fitting, why not gear too I guess :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whatever body type anything is made for, it sure ain't mine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
US cut D suits sure the gently caress are. Beer guts and tiny little stick legs. Euro suits tend to have more legroom since biking is prevalent rather than taking the 2500 ram to work or someshit.

It seems to me after they got big/widespread here their fitment changed. I've had some of their 80s/90s suits that fit really well, and some of their more modern suits that didn't fit at all.

tbh it's a pain and kind of trial and error. mostly error.
Astars and Spidi are about the only ones that fit me worth a gently caress with long thick legs and a stubby bullshit torso.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If Vincent Adultman can get a jacket, then so could you

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Revit is for tall, long limbed, but not too skinny types.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Revit is for tall, long limbed, but not too skinny types.
Yeah they're Dutch after all. :D

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Seconding Dainese working for short stocky people. I'm 5'8/175, built like a buttplug, and their pants and jackets fit me perfectly

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

chupacabron posted:

built like a buttplug, and

The new thread title is here

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

lol I’m honored

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Always a fine day when the thread gets renamed to something you said.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

chupacabron posted:

Seconding Dainese working for short stocky people. I'm 5'8/175, built like a buttplug, and their pants and jackets fit me perfectly

Lmao at new thread title

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You say something funny, it’s gonna get thread titled, thems the CA rules

This is my legacy

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 31, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:patriot:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Seconding that Rev’it has worked for my tall, fat self.

At some point I am going to want a waxed canvas jacket for the rainy season here and because I loving love waxed canvas. I’m honestly kind of afraid I’m going to have to find somewhere that will make a custom one and then kind of hope it holds up in a slide because the brands that make nice ones seem to be for tiny-shouldered fucks. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I know Merlin just doesn’t even come close to fitting across my back.

And, like, sure. If I lose weight some of that will come off my back but it’s not like I have a beer belly between my shoulder blades.

At one point I had I think 4 thread titles after something I said or inspired and it felt really good. Still have a couple. I rank it up there with getting us paid bereavement leave at work as one of my life’s great accomplishments.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
You might be too late but Filson had some waxed “moto” jackets available which are on closeout sales now. I put moto in quotes because they have no actual motorcycle safety features at all, but would be a fine and nice looking outer layer over a Knox shirt or something else actually protective. Filson fits are always boxy as hell and run large.

https://www.filson.com/blog/profiles/filson-moto-collection/

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Not to derail Dianese chat but I’ve got a question about helmet communicators.

I’ve been using Lexin B4FM units but recently bought a helmet that has the option of a built in communicator.

What is the better option to keep being able to talk to my wife while riding? Can the Lexin unit talk to the Sena SC1?

I could always remove the built in speakers and mic and install the Lexin but is it possible to connect the Lexin to the existing gear?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Yeah, looks like the links are dead there. Might try on desktop later.

I do have some temptation to get a thin riding shirt and just wear my good Barbour winter coat over that, but while I’m sure it’d hold up pretty well in a slide (especially with something under it that has a proper rating), I’d prefer something that’s actually been tested.

I need to pay some poo poo down and just bought a slew of new gear over the last 2 years so this isn’t a pressing concern or anything.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I need to find the brand for inflatable tube guys. The only gear I have that fits perfectly is my two piece Alpinestars leathers and Dyns jeans. At some point I should swap out for a one piece race suit, but going to have to go through the struggle of sizing all over again as I don't see anything with measurements dialed in like my two piece is, even from Alpinestars. I need the Tall sizing which doesn't have nearly as many options available from online sellers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Both alpinestars and Dainese will do you a custom suit, obviously that's quite $ but it will actually fit.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Loop earplugs trip report:

I tried them myself, didn't dislike them and they feel way better than foamies especially when going in but didn't like them as much as my Alpine motosafe plugs, feel-wise. The loops block loud sounds just fine though, no complaints there. The case is pretty difficult to get open, if you bite your fingernails I don't know if it's possible. When you drop them on the asphalt the case flies open just fine so that's one way to do it. Again, advantage Alpine with the little zipper case IMO.
Tried them with the smallest tips on my youngest kid, 9yo. Too big or something, she couldn't get them in herself, neither could I and they kept getting dislodged and not seal right when the helmet went on so that was a failure.
Today I tried them on the older kid, 11yo. She could jam them in herself and get a good seal so we could finally take some faster roads and I could rev freely without fear of causing hearing damage. Great success!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oh thanks for the reminder. I bought those same plugs. They fit well.
Unfortunately, they absolutely do not do the job on the Monkey with the a/m pipe. I went back to standard foamies after one short ride. I still have them on my keys but I don't see myself using them. The noise reduction is weak