Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

eke out posted:

this is one thing i hadn't realized until watching a video from my local ag extension office, where 100% of the phds and master gardeners were like "letting tomatoes get to full color on the vine is insane and just asking for heartbreak, pick them as soon as color change begins if you are in any way worried about pests or disease"

I save paper grocery bags for this express purpose because it traps the ethylene gas. Putting them in a basket over bananas is a neat idea to use the same mechanism.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

If I wait for my tomatoes to ripen on the vine they tend to get these dimples that rot. Anthracnose seems to be the name.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I hate violets

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Calidus posted:

I hate violets

Would you say that violets is not the answer?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am finally planning on getting my big vegetable going again, 2 different beds, ~750 sq feet. Currently it's basically at ground level, the plan is to surround it with 1x6 on edge so it can be a bit more of a raised bed. Obviously I need material to fill it with-I am going to be digging some areas of my backyard/driveway up to lay concrete, probably ~500 sq ft to a 4" depth. Some of that should be good dirt/grass but some may be builder's red sand/clay-it's all goin on the front beds though. I want to add some amendments as though. I can get chicken manure locally for $50/yd or ground pine bark fines for $35/yd or their potting mix which is basically ground pine bark fines, lime, and some started fertilizer. They also have some fancier potting mixes that are peat moss based for like $125+/yd.

WWYD? Seems like 2 yards of chicken manure will cover those beds to a 1" depth, and then maybe another 1-2" of their potting mix, some extra lime for my naturally acidic soil and till it all together? Plan is to hopefully get that all done this fall, and either mulch it over or plant ryegrass or similar as a green manure and let it all rest until spring, then top dress with some compost and plant a spring/summer garden.

e:
The garden in question 3 years ago when it was a real garden. Since then it has been much neglected as a zinnia/sunflower/gourd patch and has spend the last 9 months or so covered in straw:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

10 days ago:

Today:

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 23, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Anyone have any leaf mould tips?

I chopped up last year's fall leaves in a lawnmower and dumped them in a couple compost bins and mostly forgot about them. It occurred to me that fall was closing on us quickly again so I checked my bins and while there is some decent decomposition action at the very bottom of the pile, it does not look ready to use at all.

Should I be out here hosing these things down on the regular or is this more of a two-year project? It's 99% oak and maple leaves with some pine needles and random houseplant clippings I chuck in there occasionally.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I accidentally made a big leaf mould pit with the leaves from our 7 red oaks over the years. They need about 2 years to decompose into something useful if you don't do anything else to them. They're very tough leaves!

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Discussion Quorum posted:

Do you cut it back really hard in the spring? Mine was getting pretty woody by year 2 and I finally just culled it because it was just not thriving. I'm in Houston, so other than being a bit dryer, the conditions should be pretty similar.

(It also got completely roasted to a crisp by our heat wave before recovering, which probably didn't help)

I know I'm really late in responding to your question but no. It's in a very large pot and it is definitely woody but it's going on 10 years, I think, and it's still going strong. It's even putting up with the current heat wave, which I imagine is pretty similar to Houston.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
3 weeks of 100F temperatures and ants farming aphids have finally finished off my cucumber plant. I got 6 prolific weeks of tasty sweet cucumbers, and then a few weeks of sort-of bitter cucumbers less often as our temps soared well above average, and then finally nothing as the plant just tried to survive. Overall I'm happy with it and will be planting Spacemaster 80 again next year.

At least culling it a bit earlier than I wanted means I'll be able to solarize the soil in plenty of time to plant my fall crops!

Assuming it ever gets cold enough for them. :sigh:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What is this pepper?

I bought the plant from a lady who was selling them out of a Pho restaurant I went to (Pho was good) and she said they were Thai chilis.

However, the Thai peppers I'm familiar with are much smaller and more cone shaped.

Any ideas?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

What is this pepper?

I bought the plant from a lady who was selling them out of a Pho restaurant I went to (Pho was good) and she said they were Thai chilis.

However, the Thai peppers I'm familiar with are much smaller and more cone shaped.

Any ideas?

That looks to be prik chee fah, or a heaven facing variety. There are a lot of different varieties of them, but that's what it would be generally known as. There's also the bird pepper (prik khee nu) which is rounder and cone shaped like you're describing. Both are known as Thai chilis in the US, and while it's true, it's very imprecise.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Someone left their massive zucchini behind :ohdear:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my peppers have done great this year and i'm already thinking about seeds for next year... is there a consensus best place for pepper seeds?

this year i have a couple habanero, a couple scotch bonnet, a couple thai chili, a huge bushy habanada, cherry bomb, hawkseye, and a trinidad scorpion

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jhet posted:

That looks to be prik chee fah, or a heaven facing variety. There are a lot of different varieties of them, but that's what it would be generally known as. There's also the bird pepper (prik khee nu) which is rounder and cone shaped like you're describing. Both are known as Thai chilis in the US, and while it's true, it's very imprecise.
This was a cool post, and thank you for it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

the milk machine posted:

my peppers have done great this year and i'm already thinking about seeds for next year... is there a consensus best place for pepper seeds?

this year i have a couple habanero, a couple scotch bonnet, a couple thai chili, a huge bushy habanada, cherry bomb, hawkseye, and a trinidad scorpion

I've used Pepper Joes more than once, Puckerbutt is also great. Puckerbutt also has the rare seeds collection - https://puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/collections/christopher-phillips-rare-seed-collection

They are very cool to grow and learn about.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wasn't somebody in the thread complaining that Pepper Joes let them down this year, selling not-true-to-type seeds?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wasn't somebody in the thread complaining that Pepper Joes let them down this year, selling not-true-to-type seeds?

I was trying to figure out which of those it was and I think it was Pepper Joes. I don't think it was Puckerbutt, because that's Ed Currie's seed company. It was a year or two ago after they'd gotten new owners.

Another option if you want some interesting super hots is https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pepper Joe's is stingy on seed count and I've had bad luck with germination rates with them.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I had a great experience with Refining Fire for chile seeds this year

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

Pepper Joe's is stingy on seed count and I've had bad luck with germination rates with them.

Most places will do 10 seeds for the 4-6$ for hot peppers. Some of these peppers will barely put out 3-4 seeds in a single fruit. And the C. baccatum var. praetermissum varieties from South America are lucky to have a single seed in a fruit. Being stingy on sending seeds is just part of not really getting that many seeds even when growing a field full of the fruit as seed crops.

They're being stingy if they're only sending 5 seeds though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Soul Dentist posted:

I had a great experience with Refining Fire for chile seeds this year

This is where I got mine, and the seeds did pretty well. Nearly everything germinated (the plants did poorly, but that was 100% my negligence). He even threw in a couple of freebies.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's something gardening related, building a greenhouse!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh nice! We’ve been wanting to do that for a while but it just can’t seem to make it to the top of the list.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hello sorry to bother,

I bought some Myer Dwarf Lemon seeds to plant on my porch - I am pretty sure it is too late to plant them but if I keep them inside in full or partial sun will they work?

These are the things I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MPB6T18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093CJ92GL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MYBCRI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FNT6QPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QH2W76W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got some lime seeds:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QH2W76W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a planters that I can put them into when it gets too cold and will still get full sun at least full sun in the winter in the northeast.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 28, 2023

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Are lemons even true to seed? I thought that's why everyone grafts them. A quick Google said, no.

Additionally.
"Growing lemons from seed is not recommended because it takes 5–15 years for the tree to produce fruit. The fruit may not be like that of the parent fruit, and the tree may be thorny, large, and take a long time to produce fruit."

These are the very reasons many people pick up grafts.

sterster fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 28, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
dogg just buy some grafts. Home depots in my area have the little $30 ones at half off right now

And most people who experience winter freezes just bring them inside in the fall. They might drop some leaves but as long as they don't dry out indoors they do fine for the winter, they're not even super light picky but they do better with as much light as you can give

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i am afraid that is Technically Not A Scam but in practicality a scam

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

sterster posted:

Are lemons even true to seed? I thought that's why everyone grafts them. A quick Google said, no.

Additionally.
"Growing lemons from seed is not recommended because it takes 5–15 years for the tree to produce fruit. The fruit may not be like that of the parent fruit, and the tree may be thorny, large, and take a long time to produce fruit."

These are the very reasons many people pick up grafts.

Darn it I know I have a brown thumb there is a Home Depot and a Lowes near me but since I live in the city (Philadelphia) I never learned how to drive I just walk, bus or bike everywhere. I was worried about going to home depot because they might not be dwarf myer lemons. (Also carrying a tree home in what I call my old lady cart is a bit too much of an effort).

I am a weird person that sucks on lemons - literally I see one and I start to drool.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Darn it I know I have a brown thumb there is a Home Depot and a Lowes near me but since I live in the city (Philadelphia) I never learned how to drive I just walk, bus or bike everywhere. I was worried about going to home depot because they might not be dwarf myer lemons. (Also carrying a tree home in what I call my old lady cart is a bit too much of an effort).

I am a weird person that sucks on lemons - literally I see one and I start to drool.

You should mail order one if you really want, but I doubt it will really produce unless you have a greenhouse situation of some sort? I'm not sure about growing citrus in more northerly climates-maybe it works fine outdoors with it indoors in the winter.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You should mail order one if you really want, but I doubt it will really produce unless you have a greenhouse situation of some sort? I'm not sure about growing citrus in more northerly climates-maybe it works fine outdoors with it indoors in the winter.

This is probably why I have a brown thumb lol - The only thing I ever successfully growed was a Rhodendron.

But I just ordered this But I will do my best to take care of it - I figured since it has been hot here in the north east it probably will grow properly. (again brown thumb).

https://www.brighterblooms.com/products/improved-meyer-lemon-tree

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

This is probably why I have a brown thumb lol - The only thing I ever successfully growed was a Rhodendron.

But I just ordered this But I will do my best to take care of it - I figured since it has been hot here in the north east it probably will grow properly. (again brown thumb).

You should probably try to grow things that are native to your (our) area before you decide you have a brown thumb.

I don't know what else you might do, but I'm sure you can think of something that took years to learn, whether it's work or a hobby. What you're doing is trying to start out with that, instead of the baby steps and learning it takes to get to that level. You also probably lack the space or stuff to make this work if you're in the city proper.

If you have a yard and are in the city you should start out with the tried and true fig tree with incandescent christmas lights on it to keep it warm long enough to finish fruiting if we have a cold snap early.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Nothing wrong with not doing cars, if your city allows it (lol USA).

Anyhow, Uber/Lyft is always an option. Friend with a truck? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Again I have no experience growing citrus outside my area on the gulf coast, but 'hot here in the northeast' is downright frigid for here where citrus grows easily outdoors. But maybe it works! If you can put it against a south facing wall with lots of light that's probably your best bet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sterster, what zone are you in, and do you have a room in your house that gets full sun? Citruses are quite happy indoors as long as they're getting enough sun. You have to watch for the standard indoor-plant bugs, but otherwise you're good.

If you decide you want a lemon, order it from Four Winds Growers. They sell semi-dwarf plants, the plants come in the best condition of any plant I've ever ordered, and they have rare varieties.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Nah, citrus are super easy to fruit up north. Both of my lemon prebonsai fruited last year and I kept one in a living room and the other in a guest bathroom. My neighbor has a collection of citrus, condo mango, and avocado trees that he moves in and out of his house every year and they do gangbusters.

The important thing is knowing how they pollinate, whether they’re self-fertile or not (you may need a second tree), and either enabling that situation while they’re in flower (by having them outside, especially at night) or manually pollinating them with a makeup brush or paintbrush.

My advice if you’re ordering and you want big fruit yields is to buy the biggest tree you can afford. The 1-2 foot ones are inexpensive but that’s really very small, and they really struggle to support fruit (mine are all that size and they can handle 1-2 lemons max, and the branches can’t even hold them up). You’ll have to wait a few seasons for them to grow up to a good size.

Whereas if you get a 4-5 foot tree now it’s $100 (although you can probably get them for $50 locally) but it’s a much more robust and productive size. Less sensitive to the environment, less susceptible to catastrophic drying and die-back, and you can start pruning them or espaliering them however you like. In 1-2 years it’ll be a 6’ tree and that’s a great size to get 1-2 decent harvests.

Ultimately time=money with this hobby, so dropping $200 on lemon trees seems excessive until you frame it as “saving yourself 5-10 years”

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^^ I think myer lemons self polinate? Maybe I am wrong.

It is more of a hobby for me - and I don't like figs :( the other options were apple trees and maybe omegranit since I think they fruit in fall and winter - but they are also too big - the tree that I got on my sidewalk is a Trident Maple tree - but it is not the kind that you can tap to get maple syrup from - one of the few things I could keep alive lol.

Edit: I think I may have double posted. Sorry if I did.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 29, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

An apple tree is a good idea, because those grow here in 6b.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple trees go outside. AFAIK they don't do well indoors, but they're also winter hardy assuming they're big and mature enough/protected enough from big freezes

Japanese and trident maples also go outside

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Whereas if you get a 4-5 foot tree now it’s $100 (although you can probably get them for $50 locally) but it’s a much more robust and productive size. Less sensitive to the environment, less susceptible to catastrophic drying and die-back, and you can start pruning them or espaliering them however you like. In 1-2 years it’ll be a 6’ tree and that’s a great size to get 1-2 decent harvests.
I disagree on this. In my experience, good-quality small saplings hit the ground running, with less transplant shock and faster growth. If you're buying a citrus at a typical nursery or Home Depot, you're getting a tree that has way outpaced its rootball (may well even be root-bound) and will have more transplant shock. My Four Winds trees show up at roughly a yard tall, and they hit the ground running. If I hadn't neglected my Meyer lemon (long story) it would have set fruit this year, two years after I bought it.

Oh, and Meyer lemons are self-fertile, yes. If yours is indoors, you'll still need to hand-pollinate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I disagree on this. In my experience, good-quality small saplings hit the ground running, with less transplant shock and faster growth. If you're buying a citrus at a typical nursery or Home Depot, you're getting a tree that has way outpaced its rootball (may well even be root-bound) and will have more transplant shock. My Four Winds trees show up at roughly a yard tall, and they hit the ground running. If I hadn't neglected my Meyer lemon (long story) it would have set fruit this year, two years after I bought it.

Oh, and Meyer lemons are self-fertile, yes. If yours is indoors, you'll still need to hand-pollinate.

You can buy 4+ foot trees from places like Four Winds, you know.