Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i specifically like 7z/nanaz because i never had to open the app, all the poo poo one needs is in the context menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

specific to AU, the original NBN which was for GPON FTTP everywhere did account for that and specified CPE with battery-backup. service providers bitched and moaned about that requirement amongst other things and yet these days they sell HFC services with CPE that have 5G modems for backup in them so gently caress them entirely.

idk what HFC is but if you get phone service thru cable or ftth providers here the modem or whatever comes w/ a backup battery. its kind of stupid cause if you dont get the phone service you get the same device from the provider they jsut dont give you the battery. I just stick all my networking poo poo on a UPS and it works fine.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yeah the lovely modem/router combo cox gave us had ui stuff for the battery everywhere but no battery to be found. it also mentioned sky and xfinity everywhere too because they're all farmed out from the same poo poo hardware.

early 7z was funny because most of the ui was just a ripoff of winrar but none of the buttons work. "test archive" used to just pop a popup saying "not implemented", wonder if they ever added that.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

re: keka, mac only :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the last ISP I had used the "just give everyone the same hardware but don't provide a battery if they don't do phone poo poo" model except the batteries were bog standard SLA ones so i just put my own in and it was fine

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Arquinsiel posted:

TIL that there's an archive program war.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TY, TY, very educational.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Captain Foo posted:

a winrar is yuo

i appreciate this post

speaking of old compression programs, is Stuffit still around?

fake edit: i'll be damned

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pile Of Garbage posted:

sorry i can't leave this post uncorrected. the AU national broadband network wasn't hosed by NBNco, it was hosed by the Coalition (Lib/Nat) government, specifically Tony Abbott.

they had 6 years to deliver a network and connected 100K homes
if they started with COTS GPON in the first place they could have connected 3M homes and it wouldn't have been hosed by the change of government

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

For Mac users, I unabashedly recommend The Unarchiver.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Cheese wizard

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

Quackles posted:

For Mac users, I unabashedly recommend The Unarchiver.

theunarchiver.com posted:

It’s times more powerful than the native macOS utility

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im sold

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vapor Moon posted:

Cheese wizard

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

~Coxy posted:

they had 6 years to deliver a network and connected 100K homes
if they started with COTS GPON in the first place they could have connected 3M homes and it wouldn't have been hosed by the change of government

no but you see they made a lot of money in the short term

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Zamujasa posted:

yeah the lovely modem/router combo cox gave us had ui stuff for the battery everywhere but no battery to be found. it also mentioned sky and xfinity everywhere too because they're all farmed out from the same poo poo hardware.

early 7z was funny because most of the ui was just a ripoff of winrar but none of the buttons work. "test archive" used to just pop a popup saying "not implemented", wonder if they ever added that.

coax networks can have power backup and they do in many countries, as for america I don't know anything about the other ones but I know xfinity doesn't power backup their network for $$. They give you a battery for your modem/router for power outages but neglect to tell you that their network won't be running if it isn't just your home without power.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

gpon de floor

gponder the orb
gponce de leon

okay those don't work but I think you found the basis for a gimmick username here

gpontifex

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

put explorer.exe in the exact centre

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

i appreciate this post

regdate post combo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so after ordering the fiber connection to the new apartment the other day, like a day later the other end of the cable connection got struck by lightning (it went out right as a super loud super close lightning strike hit, and it took them a good 8 hours to fix it so i assume it was completely toasted and didn't just lose power) and i assume just out of spite the lightning strike was passed through the modem leaving it completely intact and instead killed the port on my router lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shame Boy posted:

so after ordering the fiber connection to the new apartment the other day, like a day later the other end of the cable connection got struck by lightning (it went out right as a super loud super close lightning strike hit, and it took them a good 8 hours to fix it so i assume it was completely toasted and didn't just lose power) and i assume just out of spite the lightning strike was passed through the modem leaving it completely intact and instead killed the port on my router lol

yeah you can try to handle lightning but in the end it will do what it wants

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

its called power over ethernet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you wanted lightning fast internet right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
shouldn’t have used that proprietary lightning connector

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shaggar posted:

cause it'll work nevermore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
shot

chaser

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

cause it'll work nevermore

lol

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

is using azure the secfuck now? https://arstechnica.com/security/2023/08/facing-failure-after-failure-microsofts-driver-signing-program-fails-yet-again/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

has been for a while

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

how are you even installing drivers in your azure hosts?

not that this is not a sec gently caress, but those are some confusing words to add to that link

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

another backwards compatibility triumph for Microsoft, other operating systems should take note

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unrevoking certificates for, uh, compatibility's sake

then again, if you break a bunch of random accounting and LoB software with a cert revocation, you are going to have to do something about it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
keeping a list of file hashes for trusted lob software affected seems like the proper microsoft way of doing things, what’s a little more bloat

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

infernal machines posted:

unrevoking certificates for, uh, compatibility's sake

then again, if you break a bunch of random accounting and LoB software with a cert revocation, you are going to have to do something about it

it's not revoked, it's no longer trusted (or was). minor distinction, but as Microsoft did not issue the certificate they cannot revoke it. reversing a revocation would be a much bigger deal and, I have to imagine would violate the BRs of the CA.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

tried to figure out what the gently caress the cheese wizard icon was before I realized it wasn't cheese

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Shame Boy posted:

have a router with a ungrounded power supply and also a shielded ethernet cable between router and modem? it's likely the router's dc ground is by the coax shield then

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DJ Commie posted:

have a router with a ungrounded power supply and also a shielded ethernet cable between router and modem? it's likely the router's dc ground is by the coax shield then

yeah i figured out the likely current path already and it was basically the same conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
https://twitter.com/jmcmurry/status/1695450627294502958